Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 10, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Charlton Athletic, Roys FFC
For those wanting a rookie alternative to Robertsen, I reckon Will Martyn could be worth a crack.

Obviously a tough side to crack into, but Prestia and McIntosh are both out for a while. Averaged 116 in the NAB league as well, which compares well with the numbers of Gulden, Warner and Robertsen.

A watch for next week....

Jun 2, 2012
Ballarat
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Everton
For those wanting a rookie alternative to Robertsen, I reckon Will Martyn could be worth a crack.

Obviously a tough side to crack into, but Prestia and McIntosh are both out for a while. Averaged 116 in the NAB league as well, which compares well with the numbers of Gulden, Warner and Robertsen.
Mcintosh was a concussion mate so he should be back in a weeks time, I also suspect Caddy can certainly force his way back into the side which could hurt Martyn's stocks.

I know there's been a couple of comments that he wasn't spoken about all preseason but from the Richmond camp his name has been up and about since late in last season and he was an emergency in round one.

I do think he has good scoring potential but I am concerned that his job security could be quite hard to gauge, I think we'll be in a better position to make the call next week after he has a game under his belt. A big game could provide him with a run in the side but with Naish and RCD also really knocking on the door (Naish had 39 touches in the VFL game last weekend) and Caddy, Rioli and Mcintosh realistically shorter term outs of the twenty two if he doesn't make an impact tomorrow night there could be a lot of pressure on his spot.

Neale4brownlow

Norm Smith Medallist
May 20, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
If you have Witts (I do), I think priority one should be to get Gawn/Grundy.

Fortunately I don't have a horse in that race (Grundy/Flynn - Meek) for me.
But I guess if I were in that scenario then maybe it would be better to just get Witts up to Gawn and be done with it. nothing worse than wasting multiple trades on that darn R2 spot.

If Flynn is indeed being rested by rnd 4.. there's every chance it happens again by rnd 8 or 9. At which point we're all jumping for Gawn at that point (Meek wont be around to save us!).

redrex94

Senior List
Mar 29, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Thoughts on the best defender to get in this week?

I have Laird, Short, Williams, Markov and Fantasia. I can afford any of the big ones but was a little slow on pulling the trigger on Lloyd or Mills unfortunately.

Edit - is Flynn out? I can go Burges in defence on field and bite the bullet and get in Gawn to go with Grundy.

RowellAnderson12

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 4, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool, Max Verstappen, Pacers, DR3
The Ridley/Mills debate is a win win.

Being an owner of both,
Ridley takes literally every kick out and bombs it 50 metres so his stats are soooo inflated. Heppell being back there helps him too, he pinched some freebies but kicked it to Ridley for +6's anyways so that was a bonus. Heppell is a broken man but DPP is coming his way if you need him.

Mills plays guts 24-7 handballs alot, just needs to get a few more cheap marks/tackles and he'll be fine 91 isn't too bad.

Bowes your turn

RowellAnderson12

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 4, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool, Max Verstappen, Pacers, DR3
Thoughts on the best defender to get in this week?

I have Laird, Short, Williams, Markov and Fantasia. I can afford any of the big ones but was a little slow on pulling the trigger on Lloyd or Mills unfortunately.

Edit - is Flynn out? I can go Burges in defence on field and bite the bullet and get in Gawn to go with Grundy.
Lloyd Ridley Mills are the real good ones, i would just wait unless your happy with Stewart

Out for now guys. Didn’t mean to rock the boat with that trade talk that may have gone against the grain. Gl for the next few weeks

I may have missed something, but I didn’t think you rocked the boat at all? It was all just interesting discussion about different trade approaches, “guns & rooks” vs midpricers and the BE game. Maybe there was a post I didn't see but I don’t recall anything that rocked the boat or wasn’t in keeping with the general good vibe of this board :)

Shadow89

Cancelled
10k Posts AFL Fantasy Div 6+ Winner 2021
Feb 20, 2018
Been busy today mate haven’t found the time to respond. Agree with almost everything you brought up! Just a few things

It’s dumb to take anything written there as gospel even from a past winner. The reason I posted it was because I agreed with many of the sentiments. It’s what I stuck to when finishing top 100, gone away from it last 2 seasons and finished 1500. How much of that came down to luck is anyone’s guess, but it’s my opinion that trading around keepers & rooks is far superior to playing the BE stockmarket game. Now more than ever in a season where there’s hardly any mid price options that actually look like turning into keepers.

Rooks are always a risk and must be picked meticulously. However they are the life blood to completing your team. Will always be the Cavarra types that end in flames but it’s just about limiting those. After all, having a completed/near complete team by end of byes is the end goal. IMO that way is far, far more efficient in achieving that as opposed to playing the mid price stockmarket game.

Absolutely spot on - and great discussion :) It's always such a hard toss-up between rooks and mid-pricers, but the risk variable is infinitely lower with rooks (as you stipulate).

Seriously mate, really enjoyed this, so don't think anyone is upset at you on the board/being perceived as going against the grain and that being a problem. Send me a PM if need be :)

Mar 30, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
Ridley looks a monty to be in the the top 3 backs this season.

On another note, why do people care so much about their live ranking? To me, that s**t seems all over the place. Almost every single week it looks like my rank has blown out from the first game right through to the last game, yet each week it comes back roughly into line once all the games are said and done. I can understand if you're in the top 100 though and watching it for the pleasure

Neale4brownlow

Norm Smith Medallist
May 20, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
It'll actually be handy to get a sighter at the new rooks tonight (Jones and Martyn).
Might help me decide what I'm doing this week.

If Jones/Martyn don't go well I think I'll 100% do a double rookie grab this week (currently looking at 2 of Robertson, Burgess and Parks. Probably the first two).

If Martyn or Jones are dominant, I might do one rookie, one premo this week, then 1 rookie and 1 premo next week.

Neale4brownlow

Norm Smith Medallist
May 20, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Ridley looks a monty to be in the the top 3 backs this season.

On another note, why do people care so much about their live ranking? To me, that sh*t seems all over the place. Almost every single week it looks like my rank has blown out from the first game right through to the last game, yet each week it comes back roughly into line once all the games are said and done. I can understand if you're in the top 100 though and watching it for the pleasure

Even though it's artificial it'd still be nice to be in the top 100! I've never done it, even mid-way through a round. So I'd definetely been screen capping it if it happened! haha.

For some reason I generally blow out early in the round then make my run later. Never seem to have the early players.

EDIT: And agree on Ridley. Had such a quiet nothing game and still got 110. Does it easily. Has a 30point headstart every game just off kickins.

Absolute must-get next week. Somewhat kicking myself as I had a choice of Crisp or Ridley last week and picked Crisp.

Mar 30, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
Even though it's artificial it'd still be nice to be in the top 100! I've never done it, even mid-way through a round. So I'd definetely been screen capping it if it happened! haha.

For some reason I generally blow out early in the round then make my run later. Never seem to have the early players.

EDIT: And agree on Ridley. Had such a quiet nothing game and still got 110. Does it easily. Has a 30point headstart every game just off kickins.

Absolute must-get next week. Somewhat kicking myself as I had a choice of Crisp or Ridley last week and picked Crisp.
Yeah I guess that makes sense. Best I’ve been is 12th and then floated at 20th all year until I went to Europe and cooked it too hard and missed cutoffs haha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back