Autopsy 2021 Round 4 -Liked, Learnt, Hated

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
F80FA5B2-668E-4DBC-9D2C-B51AB1441B26.gif

Liked - Finally getting to an Eagles game in Melbourne
Learnt - Ratts knows how to rally his troops and create immense pressure for the opposition
Hated - The Eagles folding like a cheap suit under that pressure

Last edited:
Time to put down your thoughts on round 4 what did you like, hate and learn from Round 4?

take it away

Last edited by a moderator:

Liked - Adam Treloars continued excellence.
Learnt - To fully appreciate Collingwood's generosity.
Hated - Having to listen to Treloar explain to MMM why he is tired of talking about his trade.

BuffDog

Club Legend
Nov 10, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Liked:
- the Bombers and Swans young players lighting up the SCG
- Toby Greene
- North being highly competitive for most of the afternoon
- Saints comeback

Learned:
- Melbourne’s midfield has come of age and will lead them to finals
- Pies are very stale

Hated:
- Early season night games in Queensland. Terrible spectacle.

Jul 30, 2011
Right behind you
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Gunners & Steelers
Liked - The Saints learning that there are things in your control always - effort and attitude
Learnt - Buckley is lost without Eddie. He isn’t half the man/coach he was a couple of years back when he knew he was allowed to make mistakes
Hated- the umpiring. It’s so horribly inconsistent for all teams. Sure we always hate on them, but I don’t think those fellas (who I honestly believe try to to their best) have no idea on how to adjudicate things coz of their mixed messages from on top

MickyG

Club Legend
Jul 5, 2010
AFL Club
Sydney
Liked - Swans winning ugly
Learnt - Pies are slow learners
Hated - Dew (not Stuart, the wet)

tonygeeks

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 11, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
Liked - he's not anywhere close to the best player in the comp but if you could bottle one players competitive spirit and juice up your team with it .... Big Boy's

Learnt - no disrespect to the aboriginal players slipperiness but some of the African lads coming through are showing the high water mark for athleticism and it might be sooner than we think till an African descent player is seen as the best in the comp

Hated - so many teams are very poor at tackling and none of the ' experts ' have picked up on how much impact it is having on the results of the games. If one team sticks their tackles and the other doesn't they win ... end of

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

queensberryrules

Club Legend
Aug 16, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Liked
Dees look the goods to me, strong organization across the ground, terrific around the ball, just need soom more forward oomph.

North showing some giddyup and taking the game on.

Saints, top win against good oppo.

Learnt
Tigers Port and Cats will have a hard time making top 4.

Hated
Commentators, nearly all of them.

Last edited by a moderator:

simmo97

Club Legend
Aug 15, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Liked
have won 6 of our last 8 games and could have possibly made 7 out of 8 if we took our chances against Sydney.

were challenge and stood up when counted on the road against a team we were expected to beat something almost half the team
has never experience at AFL level.

Learnt

Lachlan sholl will show throughout his career that getting him at pick 64 was a steal.

hated

nothing- i am just enjoying my team beating all expectations i had coming into this season.

Luv_our_club

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 14, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Liked: Demons 4 in a row

Hated: Most of all I hated Hamish McLaughlin - he drags our game into Sesame Street and then he drowns it in lispy dribble.

Learnt: The umpires are not coping with home crowds returning yet - so many bullshit decisions and non-decisions this round obviously because the umps lack spine

Cool Kangas

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 2, 2010
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Liked: The rooboys showing some guts today and seeing some glimpses of what they’re capable of.
Hated: Steven May’s eye injury.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Liked: The Swans and Bombers draft haul from last year - some very very very special talents on both sides - holy amazeballs!!!!!!
Learnt: TV commentary OFF - radio commentary ON (can Der-wayne Russell, BT, Brayshaw etc like go missing and never be seen from again?)
Hated: Steven May's injury - got his life and **** together and was playing bloody good footy. Speedy recovery Steven!!!!!!

Lsta062

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 15, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea, LA Lakers, Western United
Liked:
- Nik Cox and the young brigade at Essendon
- Chad Warner and the young brigade at Sydney.
- Lachlan Sholl and the young brigade at Adelaide
- Tom Powell and the young brigade at North
- St Kilda comeback against West Coast. Was exciting.
- Melbourne 4 in a row. Fritsch and Pickett as well.

Learnt:
- Collingwood really just need to play the kids at this point
- West Coast have talent, but they need to commit themselves for 3/4 quarters.
- Western Bulldogs have arrived.
- Geelong need that Danger and Cameron spark.
- Top 4 may start to become hard for Brisbane if they don’t arrest their underwhelming start.

Disliked:
- Umpiring. Oh the umpiring. This round was probably the worst collective umpiring I have seen. It feels like it’s basically their game now and the coaches/players are spectators with us.
- Western Bulldogs arriving. If there was one club that I didn’t want in the top 4, it’s them. Biggest threat to our Premiership chances now in my opinion.
- Game’s scoring declined a bit this round. Hopefully it doesn’t follow this trajectory permanently for the season.

Learnt - no disrespect to the aboriginal players slipperiness but some of the African lads coming through are showing the high water mark for athleticism and it might be sooner than we think till an African descent player is seen as the best in the comp

I have been thinking the same thing the last few weeks. Some of the agility & pace coupled with their height is bloody daunting for the rest of the comp

PerthBoy86

Norm Smith Medallist
May 23, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
Liked: teams that were near the bottom doing well, Adelaide and Sydney in particular, even if I will probably start to regret saying this if Sydney are 'back.' Dunno if it's early season form or if they're the real deal (well Sydney especially), but great to see them up and about.

Melbourne finally looking like contenders - hope their form continues.

Bulldogs being top (if it's not us no team I'd rather be there) and potentially challenging.

Learnt: Melbourne could be the real deal. This season is wide open.

Hated: Collapsing like a house of cards vs the Saints in the last after being 33 points up. Yes they were phenomenal, but our basic ball handling skills and decision making was atrocious. We really need to stop fading for quarters.

Umpiring

Vassp

Premiership Player
Jun 30, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Liked...young kids (From various clubs) are doing well and having a real crack.

learnt...new stand on the mark rule is a hit and miss for me.

hated...umpiring has hit a new low, come on afl you need to steady the ship and the rules too.
its been a long time since l yelled at the TV, last week was a disgrace.

Sep 26, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
My little Hawks have a very long way to go,,, love them all to bits but we have to be pragmatic...
Clarko keep giving them hope and we all Hwks will want to play in the game with you...

Feb 9, 2009
Footscray
AFL Club
Richmond
Liked: I obviously want to see my own team up there, but its good to see some new teams pushing for finals or even high up there. Turnover of the successful teams is good for the competition.

Learnt: Not sure id say ive learnt anything yet. Still not sure the season is far enough in to say whether some teams will/wont make finals, and anyone who 'learns' that results/form can change from week to week (ie sydney vs us then sydney vs essendon a week later) hasnt been watching footy for very long.

Hated: As with many, the umpiring. Bat taking a different approach to most, im not going to bash the decisions they should get right 9/10 times that they didnt. But when a player can stand clearly out of bounds with the ball at their chest, and it not be called out of bounds, there is an issue. And its not a 1-off, it happens frequently and it shouldnt. ps: and no, gray should not have been called for deliberate at the end. that was a correct decision.

Hated 2: GC performance. I genuinely want to see them compete, its disappointing to see them so backwards again after a relatively positive 2020.

Last edited:

E Shed

Fremantle Obsessive
Sep 10, 2006
Perth WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Liked - the way the game is being played and the plethora of exciting youngsters coming through everywhere. And the perennially young David Mundy still making it look easy.

Learnt - nothing I didn't already know, the form is still too unpredictable to get a handle on who will play finals.

Hated. Players actually throw the ball now as a tactic when they think the ump is blindsided because they know they'll get the benefit of the doubt.

the hypnotoad

Premiership Player
Mar 7, 2021
AFL Club
Sydney
Liked
Dees look the goods to me, strong organization across the ground, terrific around the ball, just need soom more forward oomph.

North showing some giddyup and taking the game on.

Saints, top win against good oppo.

Learnt
Tigers Port and Cats will have a hard time making top 4.

Hated
Commentators, nearly all of them.

liked: what you said about commentators ... how can one code end up with such a coagulation of self-important loudmouths and buffoons?! and they're almost proud of their lack of professionalism ... i exclude anthony hudson, and i think nick riewoldt and matthew lloyd are the outliers as ex-players who aren't utterly intolerable ...

Feb 9, 2009
Footscray
AFL Club
Richmond
liked: what you said about commentators ... how can one code end up with such a coagulation of self-important loudmouths and buffoons?! and they're almost proud of their lack of professionalism ... i exclude anthony hudson, and i think nick riewoldt and matthew lloyd are the outliers as ex-players who aren't utterly intolerable ...
I would say they're still better than rugby and cricket commentators

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back