Preview 2021 Round 6 - Melbourne vs Richmond, Saturday 24/04 @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Odd to drop someone who is performing as expected for someone to be rewarded.
Well Mansell has been there 5 minutes and going okay. Martyn was given a game, but Ross and Collier Dawkins have been knocking on the door for so long and completely dominated the VFL last week. How come they have to prove themselves yet others get given a reasonably easy run at it. That is reward for effort.

Well Mansell has been there 5 minutes and going okay. Martyn was given a game, but Ross and Collier Dawkins have been knocking on the door for so long and completely dominated the VFL last week. How come they have to prove themselves yet others get given a reasonably easy run at it. That is reward for effort.
When you beat a side by 89pts why change?

Obviously they don't think Coleman-Jones is ready, as I can't think of any other possible reason you'd not play him. I hate the idea of so much burden falling on Nankervis especially with his recent injury history because lose him and we really are stuffed. Also have always hated seeing Reiwoldt, Lynch or Astbury relief rucking in the middle, they never look convincing and they always have this look of an injury waiting to happen (and boy the reaction if that did happen). And Pickett the new Grigg? Well it might have worked massacring the Saints, but I doubt that stunt is going to work two weeks in a row against Gawn and Jackson.

Anyhow I hope we get away with Nankervis flying solo tonight and again obviously they simply don't think Coleman-Jones is ready. But games like this and even though I wasn't Soldo's greatest fan, really make me miss the peace of mind that the Nankervis/Soldo combination gave us. The sooner we get a second ruckman into the side the happier I will be.
Gawn will win the taps no matter what, but Nank has the fitness to go with Gawn. When he rests Pickett will ruck, which by last weeks little cameo was pretty interesting. CCJ will not win tap outs against Gawn either.

When you beat a side by 89pts why change?
So what. Nobody deserved to get dropped, but it is called revolving your young players to keep them in the frame. Pretty soon with Prestia back, Ross and RCD will have less opportunity. I doubt they will be all that happy playing VFL when they would get games in just about every midfield in the league bar the Dogs. As I said earlier, still early in the season so plenty of time but young players want to play at the top level.

Hope Pickett has his jumping legs on tonight - got a feeling his competition in the ruck tonight is going to be a touch more challenging than it was a week ago
Balta will take 2nd ruck duty’s instead of Pickett i would say

So what. Nobody deserved to get dropped, but it is called revolving your young players to keep them in the frame. Pretty soon with Prestia back, Ross and RCD will have less opportunity. I doubt they will be all that happy playing VFL when they would get games in just about every midfield in the league bar the Dogs. As I said earlier, still early in the season so plenty of time but young players want to play at the top level.
Their doing what they should be doing.Performing and keeping the pressure on the senior lineup.
They'll get their chance and in Ross's case obviously he was dropped for a reason.

I think it’s more the position that they play. We like to keep a certain balance on the field. Therefore, it’s usually the smalls (defenders/forwards) that get into our side quicker like Rioli and Mansell etc. because the players they’re replacing are usually not elite or considered mainstays.

RCD and Ross are best suited to playing in the midfield, where we have Bolton, Graham, Prestia, Cotchin, Martin and Edwards rotating through. Much harder to get a game as a young midfielder in our side than a small forward/defender in my opinion.

Having said that, surely we can find a spot for RCD soon? Kinda amazed that he still hasn’t debuted yet.

Gawn will win the taps no matter what, but Nank has the fitness to go with Gawn. When he rests Pickett will ruck, which by last weeks little cameo was pretty interesting. CCJ will not win tap outs against Gawn either.

It's not simply about Nankervis having the fitness to go with Gawn, it's about Nankervis staying fit, which is an issue if you have to be mindful considering his recent injury history. Playing him solo against Gawn and Jackson doesn't help that. Coleman-Jones however would have reduced that risk. And true neither Nankervis or Coleman-Jones will win tap outs against Gawn, however they are big bodied enough to ensure that they don't lose every single one, meaning not every single one will go directly to Melbourne's advantage, there would be dirty balls where our midfielders at least stand an even money chance. Pickett on the other hand against Gawn will not be interesting, it will be a massacre. Really do doubt they will try that again, again expect a key forward or back to be Nankervis's back up this week, with all the risks and pitfalls that entails.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aarts is a dangerous player because he breaks through the lines, punctures the line.
They are developing Mansell in a similar role in defence.

I hope we don't approach this game like we did the swans match a few weeks ago because I think the demons will be up and about tonight, we need to be on our toes and ready for them.

I want to see if things really have changed at Melbourne tonight, they're definitely a better side because they are beating the average teams convincingly but I want to see if they grind out a tough win against the best in the comp? So that'll be the Tigers job tonight, please please test this mob, do they want this win? don't let them gather any momentum, make them grind out a win when everything isn't going their way. Until this Melbourne side can archive that sort of success I'll never trust them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back