Position 2021 Rucks

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've gone cold on Preuss and have been running with Gawndy for a few weeks now.

It will be interesting to see what Preuss does in the preseason matches. If he rucks solo, plays the majority of the match, gets through unscathed and goes big, it's going to be hard to leave him out, especially after such big scores when rucking solo in the past. Mind you he's coming up against the Swans (Sinclair/Naismith/Hickey?) and the Dons (Draper), so nothing amazing.

Need to remember that lots of ruckman do nothing in their early 20s, often behind a set number 1 ruck, only to explode after a few preseasons and when an opportunity arises. Gawn and ROB are good examples.

Preuss has been behind Goldy and Gawn for his entire career, 2 of the best ruckman of this generation, nobody would be in front of those guys. Would have surely learnt a thing or 2 as well. I really hope he succeeds, SC relevant or not.

I've gone cold on Preuss and have been running with Gawndy for a few weeks now.

It will be interesting to see what Preuss does in the preseason matches. If he rucks solo, plays the majority of the match, gets through unscathed and goes big, it's going to be hard to leave him out, especially after such big scores when rucking solo in the past. Mind you he's coming up against the Swans (Sinclair/Naismith/Hickey?) and the Dons (Draper), so nothing amazing.

Need to remember that lots of ruckman do nothing in their early 20s, often behind a set number 1 ruck, only to explode after a few preseasons and when an opportunity arises. Gawn and ROB are good examples.

Preuss has been behind Goldy and Gawn for his entire career, 2 of the best ruckman of this generation, nobody would be in front of those guys. Would have surely learnt a thing or 2 as well. I really hope he succeeds, SC relevant or not.
preuss = Naismith from last year.
total sh1t truck.

preuss = Naismith from last year.
total sh1t truck.
He was at your club for a few years, so you've probably seen a lot more of him than I have. Why though? Lazy? No tank? Injury prone? Slow? Doesn't get the ball enough?

Is McInerney a better option than Preuss at $443K ?? .......goes solo with Martin gone, plus another year of experience ?

View attachment 1058108

Martin only played 6 games last year he virtually was solo anyway. Nankervis is a much better option in that price range.

He was at your club for a few years, so you've probably seen a lot more of him than I have. Why though? Lazy? No tank? Injury prone? Slow? Doesn't get the ball enough?
all the above bar lazy.
90% chance he doesnt play the first 6 games straight.
imo hes the biggest trap ive ever seen in sc.
he plays a bullocking style of ruck (similar to mumy tbh) and his body cant take it.
he is capable of getting 100 in a game sure.
but he wont play enough games in a row to rise in price.

Is McInerney a better option than Preuss at $443K ?? .......goes solo with Martin gone, plus another year of experience ?

View attachment 1058108
If he had FWD DPP, he'd be in a huge % of teams

26 years old
giant
durable
50+ games
good midfield at his feet

some 2020 stats:
5 scores above 100
3 scores 90-99
4 scores 80-89
2 scores 60-79
5 scores below 59
average with Stef in the side = 79
average without Stef in the side = 89.1
average hitouts = 19.1
average disposals = 8.7

Nothing too exciting above.

If I'm not starting Gawndy, I think I prefer ROB at $570k

Would love some more discussion on ROB.
Has increased his averages year on year from 63 > 95 > 106.
Extrapolating his numbers from last year had him around 16 disposals, 4.5 marks, 4.5 tackles and 30+ hit outs.
Is at the 40 game mark or thereabouts when Gawn broke out for full premo. Mind you ROB is at the mature age, already 25 turning 26 so the ripe age for rucks.

Last year after the belting by Melbourne, Adelaide turned a corner and apart from the Dogs game and Richmond in Rd 23, they went 3-2 and lost the other two by under 5 goals.
In that span ROB went 106, 124, 82, 141, 105, 101, 129.

This year he starts with Stanley, Hickey, Witts, Goldy, Darcy, Ceglar, Preuss, Lycett before NN in Round 9 ... am I ridiculous or does ROB present excellent value to possibly make the next jump and go 115-120? Improved showing by his midfielders later in the year increased his scoring and he’s basically second to only Grundy when it comes to finding the pill around the ground. Fully expect the Crows to be more competitive again this year which could mean more wins and more points. Could he average close to 20+ possies with 35 hit outs a game and 5 marks/tackles?

Extrapolating his numbers from last year had him around 16 disposals, 4.5 marks, 4.5 tackles and 30+ hit outs.
Is at the 40 game mark or thereabouts when Gawn broke out for full premo. Mind you ROB is at the mature age, already 25 turning 26 so the ripe age for rucks.

Last year after the belting by Melbourne, Adelaide turned a corner and apart from the Dogs game and Richmond in Rd 23, they went 3-2 and lost the other two by under 5 goals.

This year he starts with Stanley, Hickey, Witts, Goldy, Darcy, Ceglar, Preuss, Lycett before NN in Round 9 ... am I ridiculous or does ROB present excellent value to possibly make the next jump and go 115-120? Improved showing by his midfielders later in the year increased his scoring and he’s basically second to only Grundy when it comes to finding the pill around the ground. Fully expect the Crows to be more competitive again this year which could mean more wins and more points. Could he average close to 20+ possies with 35 hit outs a game and 5 marks/tackles?
Spoke about him on the last page:

He has me interested, but for $570k, I feel like I can just get Grundy (assuming he plays in the preseason matches and dominates, after a light preseason)

If Gawn or Grundy get injured from now until the end of the season, I'll take ROB

ps. I brought him in for Gawn last year and got that brilliant run of scoring, it was great. I watched all the Crows matches and had my eye on him, I swear he got screwed by CD so much, should have scored more. Unfortnately he doesn't have "NicNat", "Gawn" or "Grundy" in his name

Spoke about him on the last page:

He has me interested, but for $570k, I feel like I can just get Grundy (assuming he plays in the preseason matches and dominates, after a light preseason)

If Gawn or Grundy get injured from now until the end of the season, I'll take ROB

ps. I brought him in for Gawn last year and got that brilliant run of scoring, it was great. I watched all the Crows matches and had my eye on him, I swear he got screwed by CD so much, should have scored more. Unfortnately he doesn't have "NicNat", "Gawn" or "Grundy" in his name

I’m not even worried by the money side of things. $150k to Gawn is a steep rise though.

He absolutely should’ve scored more, that game against Gawn was proof in the pudding. He does need to improve his efficiency however and get more clearances at the coal face but everything else about his game is coming around and improving.
I think the scoring progression will come. At worst he’s R3, how many points he’ll give to the other two is the only question. If he keeps within 200 of Gawn on the year, I think I can maximise the $150k spending to make that up easily over the course of the year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ROB.PNG

I'm planning on flipping him to Gawn around weeks 7,8,9 where the difference won't be too much fingers crossed.

That opening draw is as good a draw you can ask for as a ruck.

View attachment 1058765

I'm planning on flipping him to Gawn around weeks 7,8,9 where the difference won't be too much fingers crossed.

i dont mind the ROB pick.
as you say the draw is good.
He has been steadily improving.
Id call it a win if he goes 105+ over those first 7 or 8 rounds.
He doesnt have to average more than Gawn. As long as you are using the cash elsewhere successfully.

View attachment 1058765

1613431514403.png

This is Gawn's first 9 games above. Only has the Marshall/Ryder tag team and Goldy.

1613431787079.png
ROB's first 9, has Witts, Goldy, Lycett, Nic nat. Actually tougher than what Gawn has. I seriously doubt that ROB will get close enough to Gawn pre bye to make for an easy trade. However, Grundy would be a lot easier to reach. IMO, if you can find a way to go Gawn and ROB instead of Grundy then the ROB pick is extemely justified and a very smart pick too. I might even consider it.

View attachment 1058770

This is Gawn's first 9 games above. Only has the Marshall/Ryder tag team and Goldy.

View attachment 1058773
ROB's first 9, has Witts, Goldy, Lycett, Nic nat. Actually tougher than what Gawn has. I seriously doubt that ROB will get close enough to Gawn pre bye to make for an easy trade. However, Grundy would be a lot easier to reach. IMO, if you can find a way to go Gawn and ROB instead of Grundy then the ROB pick is extemely justified and a very smart pick too. I might even consider it.
Yeah wasn’t there a stat floating around last year stating that Witts is statistically the hardest ruck to play against by a distance? Maybe wrong but I thought I read that somewhere in here.

Week 3-6 is a shocking time to have a midpricer go down.
Not enough cash rises to garner a really good upgrade.
Stuck in no mans land.

All you do is pick your next least well performing midpricer and go one down to the best performing rookie you don't have, and one up to the best value premo you don't have.

Simples

All you do is pick your next least well performing midpricer and go one down to the best performing rookie you don't have, and one up to the best value premo you don't have.

Simples
thats tough with a ruck.
week 4 preuss goes down.
lets say hes valued 360k
how do you get the extra 380k with one midpricer downgrade to get gawn
that would be a 500k player down to a 120k rookie.
unless there is a ruck rookie.
or you could dpp marshall in i suppose.
I reckon its way to big a risk.

Yeah wasn’t there a stat floating around last year stating that Witts is statistically the hardest ruck to play against by a distance? Maybe wrong but I thought I read that somewhere in here.

There was, but Gawn still managed to drop a 150+ on him.

Haven't seen that but it wouldn't surprise me, IMO he's a top 5 ruck in the comp. Probably doesn't get involved enough around the ground to make him especially SC relevant but his tap work and work at the contest is first class, tough for the other rucks to get really creative at stoppages and doesn't let his man win the clearance.

thats tough with a ruck.
week 4 preuss goes down.
lets say hes valued 360k
how do you get the extra 380k with one midpricer downgrade to get gawn
that would be a 500k player down to a 120k rookie.
unless there is a ruck rookie.
or you could dpp marshall in i suppose.
I reckon its way to big a risk.

In that very specific, very unlucky scenario, I would:

a. Play BJ Williams on the field for a week (I plan to have him at R3). If I didn't, I could get him in.
b. As you say, use Marshall who I have in the forwards for a reason. Turn Preuss into a Daniher/Caldwell/Dow type.
c. Look at a Hickey type.
d. Throw the toys out of the cot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back