Position 2021 Rucks

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So your going for Cash generation??? Then it dosen't make any sense obviously you will spend the money elsewhere and not on rookies so you will burn more trades to get to the same probably a much worse position.
3 quarters of the draftees didn't play much football in 2019 due to the rona lockdown. I think plenty of people going guns and rooks like it was any other year are in for a hiding.

Nankervis and Preuss - possibly
Only three decent picks past Gawndy IMO, Preuss, Nank, Darcy. And of course Marshall up forward. If they get 100+ avg early, with some big scores in there, you might be able to upgrade without too much difficulty. Massive ifs though.

Only three decent picks past Gawndy IMO, Preuss, Nank, Darcy. And of course Marshall up forward. If they get 100+ avg early, with some big scores in there, you might be able to upgrade without too much difficulty. Massive ifs though.

Yeah, or Grawndy put in a shocker or injury affected score which carves up their price. Max has his work set out for him defending that starting quote - TBH he can't do it...

Yeah, or Grawndy put in a shocker or injury affected score which carves up their price. Max has his work set out for him defending that starting quote - TBH he can't do it...
But if Gawn and Grundy both have hot starts you are legit gone. I love the strat but I'm not gonna do it just because your season could be done early on.

But if Gawn and Grundy both have hot starts you are legit gone. I love the strat but I'm not gonna do it just because your season could be done early on.

Yep, that's fair enough. My main goal in SC is to win a pretty average league, and this isn't going to harm my chances of doing that at all. So I'm not afraid of the consequences

My justifications for selecting Preuss and Nankervis:

1. Cheapness. Both can be had for the price of Gawn, leaving Grundy's entire price as the savings. These can be spent turning rooks that don't exist into speculative midpricers/role change/team change players/fallen premos/breakout candidates.

2. Circumstances

Preuss is going to be the big dog for the first time in his career. In the past, when circumstances have made him the big dog for a day, this has happened:

Round 2, 2017 (late inclusion for Todd Goldstein) – Opponent Rhys Stanley – 46 hitouts – 111 SC

Round 16, 2019 (late inclusion for Max Gawn) – Opponent Mathew Kreuzer – 44 hitouts – 140 SC

Nankervis will be without Soldo, who did his ACL and will not feature in 2021. Also, the most likely guy to replace Soldo is Callum Coleman-Jones, who did COVID naughtiness and due to suspension will not be a part of the first five or so rounds of next season. Mabior Chol was Nank's support after Soldo went down but wasn't very impressive.

In the finals, Nank went:

Qualifying Final vs Brisbane: Opponents Oscar McInerney and Stefan Martin - 11 hitouts - 52 SC. I'll admit it, bit of a worry.
Semifinal vs St Kilda : Opponent Rowan Marshall - 15 hitouts, 9 contested possessions - 113 SC.
Preliminary Final vs Port Adelaide: Opponents Scott Lycett and Peter Ladhams - 19 hitouts, 10 tackles - 153 SC.
Grand Final vs. Geelong: Opponent Rhys Stanley - 25 hitouts - 136 SC.

In essence, without Soldo I see Nank at 26 rucking mostly solo and hitting new heights in his career for stats and SC scoring and I think that at 440k he presents excellent value compared to the guys that cost 650k plus

3. COVID factor. I reckon the theory that is out there that the guys that are worth 600k+ are over-valued due to scaling at the end of every quarter is valid. Also, the number of guys playing their first game in Round 1 IS going to be lower due to the shut-down of the VFL and the TAC cup. These guys simply didn't play football last year, and they aren't going to be plunged into the cauldron of the AFL unless they are VERY good. So guns and rooks won't work, therefore we are going to have to take our chances with midpricers and this effectively makes very expensive players even more expensive. Too expensive, if you ask me.

So yeah, I think I'm going to do it. Nank and Preuss FTW

Although they are expensive, I like the C/VC options Gawn and Grundy provide from the start.

Definitely a good case to be made (like some posters have) for going with one or none of them though.

The only worry I have about Nank is durability.
I don’t think he can ruck 80%+ for 22 weeks and finals.
Has only played 23 out of a possible 46 games the last 2 years. Previous 2 years missed 2 games each season.

The only worry I have about Nank is durability.
I don’t think he can ruck 80%+ for 22 weeks and finals.
Has only played 23 out of a possible 46 games the last 2 years. Previous 2 years missed 2 games each season.

I would have thought that Nank would be a stepping stone starting pick and not someone who you'd keep all year. At his optimal best he'll average 30 points less than Gawn or Grundy over a full season. Even though he's capable of going on SP runs for several weeks as he showed during the finals series, at some point you'll still want to use one of your rookie downgrades to turn him into Grundy/Gawn when he inevitably starts to fade. Whether the whole exercise is worth 2/30 trades remains to be seen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does Preuss have the tank to play R1 or is his extremely low career TOG % more of a reflection of him being more useful sitting on the bench than a KPF when he's not rucking?

View attachment 1033533 View attachment 1033534
Preuss when he filled in for the injured Gawn in two matches this year got an 84 & 85
Think that’ll be representative of his scoring

The other question will be GWS use of Mummy .... will there be some sort of rotation and could Preuss end up playing some games as a tall fwd

Too many ????

Preuss when he filled in for the injured Gawn in two matches this year got an 84 & 85
Think that’ll be representative of his scoring

The other question will be GWS use of Mummy .... will there be some sort of rotation and could Preuss end up playing some games as a tall fwd

Too many ????

What do those 2 scores have to do with with my question about his tank and his very low career TOG%? For the record he had only 77% TOG in both those shortened games as the Dees main ruck which might be an answer my own question. Preuss is an awful tall forward. He's a liability even resting there. It will be interesting how they use him and Mummy, whether in tandem/bench or rotate them in and out of the team.

Last edited:
Do they play them in tandem?

If Sportsbet placed odds on Preuss and Mumford playing one or more games together this year I'd happily put my house on no.

If not, who rucks for 30% of the game each week?

Whoever rucked 30% of games for them this year I guess. Finlayson was the most common chop-out.

What do those 2 scores have to do with with my question about his tank and his very low career TOG%? For the record he had only 77% TOG in both those shortened games as the Dees main ruck which answers my own question about his tank. Preuss is an awful tall forward. He's a liability even resting there. It will be interesting how they use him and Mummy, whether in tandem/bench or rotate them in and out of the team.

I don't think 77% is very low when most no. 1 rucks are under 90% anyway. In Rounds 2 and 3 2017 he had 80% and 82% TOG, his opponents had 78% and 73% (Blicavs and Stanley) and 86%(Mummy). A bit less but not a huge difference. In the 2019 game I mentioned above, he had 85% TOG in a full-length match. Whether he can do it week after week we have no way of knowing, but I don't know how you amass over 40 hitouts in a match without a decent sort of tank and we know he can do this.

I doubt Mummy's used in tandem. I reckon he'll be wheeled out to take on the guys he's historically gone really well against, and to give Preuss a week off. But we shall see - eventually (still only December!). He's 34 and played 10 games this year, I reckon that number goes down next year

Age-wise, Preuss is ripe to enter the peak of his career

I don't think 77% is very low when most no. 1 rucks are under 90% anyway. In Rounds 2 and 3 2017 he had 80% and 82% TOG, his opponents had 78% and 73% (Blicavs and Stanley) and 86%(Mummy). A bit less but not a huge difference. In the 2019 game I mentioned above, he had 85% TOG in a full-length match. Whether he can do it week after week we have no way of knowing, but I don't know how you amass over 40 hitouts in a match without a decent sort of tank and we know he can do this.

I doubt Mummy's used in tandem. I reckon he'll be wheeled out to take on the guys he's historically gone really well against, and to give Preuss a week off. But we shall see - eventually (still only December!). He's 34 and played 10 games this year, I reckon that number goes down next year

Age-wise, Preuss is ripe to enter the peak of his career

If he's going to make it as an AFL level first ruck, this is the year to do it. He should be fine as far as hitouts go. I can't see him being of much value around the ground though.

If you're starting with Preuss you'd be banking on him not having a week off pre-byes. Not the end of the world if they do manage him pre-byes if you have Marshall in the fwds that you can swing to R2, but then you end up with a situation where you're potentially starting an extra fwd rookie on-field vs most other teams Gawn or Grundy.

What do those 2 scores have to do with with my question about his tank and his very low career TOG%? For the record he had only 77% TOG in both those shortened games as the Dees main ruck which answers my own question about his tank. Preuss is an awful tall forward. He's a liability even resting there. It will be interesting how they use him and Mummy, whether in tandem/bench or rotate them in and out of the team.
It was an adenment to your reply , not an answer .... everyone knows Preuss has a poor tank, which is why he spends so much time as a fwd.

Pruess has a horrible tank and its one of the reasons why he was ultimately let go at North.
Low TOG or when he does play just rucks and then maybe goes to the forward line as a low movement target.
Hope he can fix it but as a big man its hard. I think he got into footy late in his teens and therefore didn't really run much as a kid.
Wait and see in the preseason but could see him sharing ruck heavily at least starting the season until he gets his footy legs.

Pruess has a horrible tank and its one of the reasons why he was ultimately let go at North.
Low TOG or when he does play just rucks and then maybe goes to the forward line as a low movement target.
Hope he can fix it but as a big man its hard. I think he got into footy late in his teens and therefore didn't really run much as a kid.
Wait and see in the preseason but could see him sharing ruck heavily at least starting the season until he gets his footy legs.
Didn’t Preuss have a Rugby background .... different type of fitness required

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back