VFL 2021 Sandringham Zebras

ScrappyDo

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 29, 2018
Omnipotent
AFL Club
St Kilda
It's pretty depressing to think that there is literally no one who could come in from Sandy and make a difference. Seems like we're gone the North Melbourne route of picking up far too many recycled spuds while largely ignoring the draft for the last 3 seasons. Meanwhile, look at the impact young players are having for Sydney and Essendon.
Essington and Sydney loaded up with 1st round picks which was not an option for us.

Doubtful with jones coming back unless it’s for bytel.
Think he could come in for one of many players Ross Hill Dunstan Lonnie Butler

ross game no better than Bytels just easy to drop the young guy instead setting a. standard with a Ross or Hill and making a statement to senior guys

Bytel forced to play out of position because we couldn’t hide Dunstan anywhere else

it’s pretty weak by Ratts actually if he goes that way

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
Think he could come in for one of many players Ross Hill Dunstan Lonnie Butler

ross game no better than Bytels just easy to drop the young guy instead setting a. standard with a Ross or Hill and making a statement to senior guys

Bytel forced to play out of position because we couldn’t hide Dunstan anywhere else

it’s pretty weak by Ratts actually if he goes that way
I don’t think he will but I think for him to play that’s the only option. Ross won’t be dropped especially if hill isn’t. Byrnes is more of a mid than a forward so I think the forwards are safe. I don’t think one game is enough after a long injury bytel will play Byrnes won’t imo.

May 24, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Hey guys- there is a VFL app you can download on your phone. Shows all the stats scores etc.

Clav had 13 marks
Mckernan kicked 4 and had 23
Brynes had 21 and kicked a goal
Mason wood also had 18

Munga

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 2, 2003
AFL Club
St Kilda
Second quarter, again not many minutes in the midfield for the Saints boys. Connolly shows something and got a few nice touches. Byrnes popping up a little. Allison can't get a touch. Team playing like the seniors, a lot of inefficient running for little result, team defence poor, Tigers opening the floodgates in red time.

Third. McKernan into the ruck now, better second efforts than Sam. Tiges kickouts hitting unmarked teammates 50m down the middle, three times now! Kent undisciplined again. Clav another contested mark and intercepts. McKernan hungry. Wood drops a simple chest mark in defence, Tigers goal. Connolly was tight on his man at a ball up then just lets him go without chase, his opponent cleans up unapposed. Clav reading the incoming plays well and marking for fun now. McKernan some nice taps to Byrnes three times, good pairing. Highmore drops a mark falling over a pack, Tiges goal, he marks the next contest.

Fourth. Highmore great vision and supreme kick to the centre on his left foot. Clav sneaks forward for a mark and point, then goes back and spoils. Clav another contested mark leads to a McKernan contested mark and goal. McKernan now not looking sharp, pushed out then sloppy handball after a nice play by Joyce, suddenly losing the ruck. Highmore with a contested mark. Tiges with unpressured forward entries. And again Clav with another contested clunk on the final siren. Byrnes unsighted in the last, maybe in cotton wool because there's no one left, maybe he's the outside mid to come in.

Highmore. Very clean and composed. Knock-ons to advantage. Vocal. Quality.

Byrnes. Floated in and out, but I assume he was on the bench during the "out" because he was popping up everywhere when "in". A lot uncontested, looks an outside mid.

McKernan. Had a great 3rd quarter, three lovely taps to Byrnes on the move. Inconsistent outside of that, went hot to cold very quickly.

Clavarino. Wow, I haven't been this happy with him since his draft video! An excellent game. Read the plays, marked everything contested or not, intercepted. If he makes that his baseline then happy days ahead! Maybe he could partner Doogs and release the skillful and creative Wilkie from his blocking post.

Joyce. Beaten once of twice but went pretty ok. He's the spoiler, Clav the marker. The Tiges kicked a good score but it didn't seem like it was via their talls.

Connolly. He has something. I'm not sure what his position is, seems like he's on a back flank, but maybe could work on his defensive side a little. We should be playing him on the ball because we don't need another flanker. He won't get a senior game (and therefor little use to us with all these injuries) playing back flank.

Wood. Mmm, nup, didn't impress.

Kent. Likewise. Just a mess and undisciplined from a senior player.

Allison. Could not get anywhere near it so hard to comment from the vision and not being there. It's not like he lost contests or anything, you just wouldn't know he was out there. I don't know what he's doing off the ball.

Alabakis. A good size for the ruck. I didn't see anything else to his game. He should be watching Gawn every week.

5. Clavarino
4. Byrnes
3. Highmore
2. McKernan
1. Joyce

austinnn

Veteran GOP
Nov 7, 2012
France
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Bristol City FC, Urawa Red Diamonds FC
Second quarter, again not many minutes in the midfield for the Saints boys. Connolly shows something and got a few nice touches. Byrnes popping up a little. Allison can't get a touch. Team playing like the seniors, a lot of inefficient running for little result, team defence poor, Tigers opening the floodgates in red time.

Third. McKernan into the ruck now, better second efforts than Sam. Tiges kickouts hitting unmarked teammates 50m down the middle, three times now! Kent undisciplined again. Clav another contested mark and intercepts. McKernan hungry. Wood drops a simple chest mark in defence, Tigers goal. Connolly was tight on his man at a ball up then just lets him go without chase, his opponent cleans up unapposed. Clav reading the incoming plays well and marking for fun now. McKernan some nice taps to Byrnes three times, good pairing. Highmore drops a mark falling over a pack, Tiges goal, he marks the next contest.

Fourth. Highmore great vision and supreme kick to the centre on his left foot. Clav sneaks forward for a mark and point, then goes back and spoils. Clav another contested mark leads to a McKernan contested mark and goal. McKernan now not looking sharp, pushed out then sloppy handball after a nice play by Joyce, suddenly losing the ruck. Highmore with a contested mark. Tiges with unpressured forward entries. And again Clav with another contested clunk on the final siren. Byrnes unsighted in the last, maybe in cotton wool because there's no one left, maybe he's the outside mid to come in.

Byrnes. Floated in and out, but I assume he was on the bench during the "out" because he was popping up everywhere when "in". A lot uncontested, looks an outside mid.

McKernan. Had a great 3rd quarter, three lovely taps to Byrnes on the move. Inconsistent outside of that, went hot to cold very quickly.

Clavarino. Wow, I haven't been this happy with him since his draft video! An excellent game. Read the plays, marked everything contested or not, intercepted. If he makes that his baseline then happy days ahead! Maybe he could partner Doogs and release the skillful and creative Wilkie from his blocking post.

Joyce. Beaten once of twice but went pretty ok. He's the spoiler, Clav the marker. The Tiges kicked a good score but it didn't seem like it was via their talls.

Connolly. He has something. I'm not sure what his position is, seems like he's on a back flank, but maybe could work on his defensive side a little. We should be playing him on the ball because we don't need another flanker. He won't get a senior game (and therefor little use to us with all these injuries) playing back flank.

Allison. Could not get anywhere near it so hard to comment from the vision and not being there. It's not like he lost contests or anything, you just wouldn't know he was out there. I don't know what he's doing off the ball.

Alabakis. A good size for the ruck. I didn't see anything else to his game. He should be watching Gawn every week.

5. Clavarino
4. Byrnes
3. Highmore
2. McKernan
1. Joyce
I know you said the Clav was marking well in this game, how was he with his man? Would he be good in key forwards?

Premium

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 8, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda

5. Clavarino
4. Byrnes
3. Highmore
2. McKernan
1. Joyce
Munga great post mate , thanks for the information , I wish the club would put something out like you have.

Munga

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 2, 2003
AFL Club
St Kilda
I know you said the Clav was marking well in this game, how was he with his man? Would he be good in key forwards?
Good! He won a number of contested marks, spoiled once or twice. I haven't seen someone read it so well for a while (small sample haha). 13 marks. Not like chipping around uncontested marks, I reckon they were all either contested or intercepts. Big day and four quarter effort!

The number of times it was coming in there I only remember him trailing behind his man once, but the Tigers moved the ball so quickly to the fatside, midfield breaking down again. The Tigers were often under no pressure with their entries, Clav, Highmore and Joyce held up well.

Last edited:

Ads734

Premiership Player
Jan 24, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
Really like Connolly, he has a little bit Hunter Clark type decision making. Would love to see him build up his disposals count. If he played now he’s already be a top 3 kick in our team. Also didn’t mind big Sal , think he might actually turn into sonething

Apr 24, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda

5. Clavarino
4. Byrnes
3. Highmore
2. McKernan
1. Joyce

Thanks for the report. Hopefully this is a sign that Clav isn’t far away. With Carlisle out of the backline we could do with some more height in defence.

lewdogs

Cancelled
Saints Pledge Contributor
Jun 4, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Arsenal, Portland Trailblazers
Would be great for the club is a kid like Byrnes could push on. Ratten seems very bullish about him. End of the day we need more midfielders pushing their way up.

Good to see Connelly picking up 19 touches; that would be his first game of VFL too. That's a pretty good sign.

And very good start for Clav, I hope he can have an uninterrupted season.

Obviously a pretty one-sided result but it's really tough for the VFL team when the firsts have so many injuries. I suspect Hunter would be a big upgrade on Alabakis at this level. Tigers midfield obviously a lot better, which makes it tough.

Back