VFL 2021 Sandringham Zebras

Remove this Banner Ad

I reckon the Sandy brains trust should give the coach a boot up the backside after yesterday's handbrake effort. Incredibly lazy team effort in the end.

Allison just hasn't got into any of his games yet. If there was another level you could send him back to find some form you would.

why?

oscar allen didn't set the world on fire at east perth and they never dropped him back...

just gotta be patient with the kid. he hasn't even played a half a season in the VFL yet...

why?

oscar allen didn't set the world on fire at east perth and they never dropped him back...

just gotta be patient with the kid. he hasn't even played a half a season in the VFL yet...
Strange comparison.

Allen missed nearly the whole first half his first season through injury and then had 17 disposals and 8 marks in his first WAFL game before missing another couple of weeks. He then made his AFL debut after 2 more WAFL games so he must have been doing something right.

I think Allison is much more of a project player than Allen was.

I'm patient, but it doesn't mean we can't point out that Allison looks out of his depth right now and if he wasn't on an AFL list I doubt he'd get a game in the VFL next game.

Strange comparison.

Allen missed nearly the whole first half his first season through injury and then had 17 disposals and 8 marks in his first WAFL game before missing another couple of weeks. He then made his AFL debut after 2 more WAFL games so he must have been doing something right.

I think Allison is much more of a project player than Allen was.

I'm patient, but it doesn't mean we can't point out that Allison looks out of his depth right now and if he wasn't on an AFL list I doubt he'd get a game in the VFL next game.

since when did oscar allen have 17 disposals in his first WAFL game? was more like 6!!!

Last edited:
I know I say this a lot but I really wish we were able to make our own vfl side OR be called the Sandy saints and use our colours. We’re so behind the right all - almost every other team has their own not just an affiliate and even the two that don’t have their own (Melbourne and hawthorn) at least gave their AFL nickname in it. Plus if we were standalone we could play games at Moorabbin.

but yes I know - 13 million in debt makes it hard to make s**t like that happen.

Allison just hasn't got into any of his games yet. If there was another level you could send him back to find some form you would.
It's early days, but we do love a good smokey… 15 years on after Brad Howard.

A utility who doesn't kick goals averaging 8 disposals, tipped to go late - to rookie… we take him with a 1st.

:oops:

Sounds like another trout special.

"Brad's not a smokey," Elshaug said. "He played in the Queensland Under 18 team last year and he was well known to us.

Can't really afford to * around with picks when we have had so few of them in the last couple of years.

It's early days, but we do love a good smokey… 15 years on after Brad Howard.

A utility who doesn't kick goals averaging 8 disposals, tipped to go late - to rookie… we take him with a 1st.

:oops:

Sounds like another trout special.

"Brad's not a smokey," Elshaug said. "He played in the Queensland Under 18 team last year and he was well known to us.

Can't really afford to fu** around with picks when we have had so few of them in the last couple of years.

Libba made the Allison pick.

I'm not wedded to the player, but I think the pessimism around him before he's even played a handful of VFL games is unwarranted. Super unfair to the guy and the recruiting team.

some of the blogs on drafting had allison going high, so I'm not sure why there was a perception he was a late to rookie pick?

the guy needs two full pre-seasons and a season in the state league before we start getting worried and writing him off

Last edited:

I'm not wedded to the player, but I think the pessimism around him before he's even played a handful of VFL games is unwarranted. Super unfair to the guy and the recruiting team.

some of the blogs on drafting had allison going high, so I'm not sure why there was a perception he was a late to rookie pick?

the guy needs two full pre-seasons and a season in the state league before we start getting worried and writing him off
Yeah sorry, not trying to be pessimistic, can only go off what we have so far… but being a tall forward we should probably just forget about him for at least a year or two anyway. I guess you still always want to see promising signs from your 1st round pick.

A med-tall froward wouldn't have been at the top of my list for our first pick if I was sitting at the draft table last year, they must have great hopes for him.

Yeah sorry, not trying to be pessimistic, can only go off what we have so far… but being a tall forward we should probably just forget about him for at least a year or two anyway. I guess you still always want to see promising signs from your 1st round pick.

A med-tall froward wouldn't have been at the top of my list for our first pick if I was sitting at the draft table last year, they must have great hopes for him.

its worth noting that because of how prominent the NGAs were our first pick was actually Pick 26, so it's not like a first rounder here ala Paddy. it's getting speculative!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

it certainly wasn't the game you mentioned!!!! where did you get that from?
Edit: you are correct, he did get 6 touches in his first game back from injury, but then followed it up with 18 touches and 8 marks the following week

So not really comparable to how Allison is going. Allison is a genuine project player whilst Allen was ready to go year one.

These were the only stats I could find
Screenshot_20210503-130044_Google.jpg

Last edited:
its worth noting that because of how prominent the NGAs were our first pick was actually Pick 26, so it's not like a first rounder here ala Paddy. it's getting speculative!
It's still the highest pick we've had over the last 2 year's.

And if we are going to take a speculative pick IMO it makes more sense to take the risk on a huge need.

I know I say this a lot but I really wish we were able to make our own vfl side OR be called the Sandy saints and use our colours. We’re so behind the right all - almost every other team has their own not just an affiliate and even the two that don’t have their own (Melbourne and hawthorn) at least gave their AFL nickname in it. Plus if we were standalone we could play games at Moorabbin.

but yes I know - 13 million in debt makes it hard to make sh*t like that happen.

I actually reckon our VFL side more shows the true lack of depth in our side. If you look at the Dogs and even Melbourne there are very good players playing VFL. Even the Gold Coast have guys like Fiorini and Brody playing great footy. We probably need to have another 5 or 6 AFL standard players on the list, most of our depth are just starting or way past it.

I hope he's a surprise package but Oscar Allen was a gun in his all stars game and was a highly touted KPF who's only real knock was his height. I don't think Allison was on anyone's radar. I had to Google him and I'm a draft freak. At least Highmore had some profile.We were linked to O'Driscoll, plenty wanted Poulter, Berry, Ford, Mc Creery and a heap that didn't get kicked up were guys more likely to be picked up.

I don't mind speculative if you uncover a gem but you have got to nail them or you stay in a failure cycle. When you have 2 picks you want everyone to be a winner too, especially when your list has lost some stalwarts as list reductions hit.

I actually reckon our VFL side more shows the true lack of depth in our side. If you look at the Dogs and even Melbourne there are very good players playing VFL. Even the Gold Coast have guys like Fiorini and Brody playing great footy. We probably need to have another 5 or 6 AFL standard players on the list, most of our depth are just starting or way past it.
But that’s my point Gringo. We can’t develop our players if you also have to look at satiating Sandringham and their club. It’s frankly yet another reason why supporting this club can really suck at times. We don’t have the leg up that all the other teams have when it comes to this s**t.

Lets relax with Allison he hardly played last year. He's starting a long way back. I think the thinking is we've got a super raw player who we can basically mould to however we want.
That's a fair point. Tall, athletic, with "elite" traits was the bio for Noah Balta too.
I think the old ways are somewhat out the window now if you look at a bloke like Nick Cox.

In many ways Allison was a free hit. We gave up a 2nd for Snaggs, got Crouch for nothing, and got a need in Highmore who's ready to go by the looks of it. It was a very good spread of acquisitions for the cost, and of course it's not over yet with the MSD yet to come.

I think half the issue is posters thinking the sky is falling in after a poor start to the season.
If we are to feed Highmore(23), Snaggs(22), Bytel(21) and Byrnes(20) into the team this season, then that a huge injection of youth regardless of the means by which they arrived.
We really have nothing to worry about in this department..

That's a fair point. Tall, athletic, with "elite" traits was the bio for Noah Balta too.
I think the old ways are somewhat out the window now if you look at a bloke like Nick Cox.

In many ways Allison was a free hit. We gave up a 2nd for Snaggs, got Crouch for nothing, and got a need in Highmore who's ready to go by the looks of it. It was a very good spread of acquisitions for the cost, and of course it's not over yet with the MSD yet to come.

I think half the issue is posters thinking the sky is falling in after a poor start to the season.
If we are to feed Highmore(23), Snaggs(22), Bytel(21) and Byrnes(20) into the team this season, then that a huge injection of youth regardless of the means by which they arrived.
We really have nothing to worry about in this department..
He was our biggest pick in 2 years.

The fact we got Crouch and Higgins doesn't mean he's a free hit. Our list is far from perfect.

Edit: you are correct, he did get 6 touches in his first game back from injury, but then followed it up with 18 touches and 8 marks the following week

So not really comparable to how Allison is going. Allison is a genuine project player whilst Allen was ready to go year one.

These were the only stats I could find
View attachment 1117773

the dead give away is the last 10 matches at the top...

it's worth noting that Allen was playing in a side that is much stronger than Sandringham are now. they made an elimination final and had a functional midfield and supporting players.

allen also made his debut the previous year for west perth who like east perth were pretty damn strong with bigger bodies around him.

you need to give the kid time to find his feet, even more so given the state of the sandringham list, just let him play it out with the structures in the senior side.

if he's still in this position come next year then you might have a point, but right now its wayyyyyyy too early to call.

Lets relax with Allison he hardly played last year. He's starting a long way back. I think the thinking is we've got a super raw player who we can basically mould to however we want.

exactly, the topic of discussion is crazy. has the guy even played 5 games yet at VFL level?

I hope he's a surprise package but Oscar Allen was a gun in his all stars game and was a highly touted KPF who's only real knock was his height. I don't think Allison was on anyone's radar. I had to Google him and I'm a draft freak. At least Highmore had some profile.We were linked to O'Driscoll, plenty wanted Poulter, Berry, Ford, Mc Creery and a heap that didn't get kicked up were guys more likely to be picked up.

I don't mind speculative if you uncover a gem but you have got to nail them or you stay in a failure cycle. When you have 2 picks you want everyone to be a winner too, especially when your list has lost some stalwarts as list reductions hit.

I'm definitely not sold on the guy and I'm not saying I think he's a gun and will work out.

i just don't get the knock on him, given the nature of last season, the pick he was taken at and how quick everyone was to write him off.

what was even more bizarre is people not understanding why Mayo was delisted only to take Allison. I'm a big Mayo fan (hehehehe), but he's not even back playing for Subi yet. he's training but not yet ready. there is no way we were in a position to carry the guy into 2021 given he wasn't going to be available for a pre-season or the majority of 2021.

Oscar Allen had some decent form behind him in the U18’s. Allison was picked basically off potential rather than production so when he looks so out of his depth in his first few games of course there’s going to be some concerns.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back