Fixture 2021 Season Fixture & Ticketing Info

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

All teams should be used to it by now. There have been teams in other states for nearly 30 years now. The draw isn't an excuse.
Stats clearly show that you dont get used to it. Not in any major sport. teams with home city/crowd advantage statistically do better with a significant advantage. Its not just about familiarity. If it was you would be correct. But its also about slight but extra physical stress from the travelling, crowd biased umpiring (also proven statistically) and likely crowd motivating factor.

a person who loses his leg learns to move faster over the years as he adapts to having no leg but he is never going to get close to running as fast before he lost his leg.

Last edited:
If you’re good enough it doesn’t matter.
Thats not true either. the best team does lose as well on occassion even when there is no disadvantage. Add in a disadvantage and its even less likely.

stastical analysis of american football games suggests the best team in the competition wins the super bowl less than 40 percent of the time. 50 percent of the time the best team doesnt even make it to the super bowl.

Thats not true either. the best team does lose as well on occassion even when there is no disadvantage. Add in a disadvantage and its even less likely.

stastical analysis of american football games suggests the best team in the competition wins the super bowl less than 40 percent of the time. 50 percent of the time the best team doesnt even make it to the super bowl.

Except we're not discussing the Superbowl.

Tell me when - and be specific - the best team in the AFL was cost the premiership due to the draw.

Stats clearly show that you dont get used to it. Not in any major sport. teams with home city/crowd advantage statistically do better with a significant advantage. Its not just about familiarity. If it was you would be correct. But its also about slight but extra physical stress from the travelling, crowd biased umpiring (also proven statistically) and likely crowd motivating factor.

a person who loses his leg learns to move faster over the years as he adapts to having no leg but he is never going to get close to running as fast before he lost his leg.

So how does that explain:

2015 - Hawthorn travel to Perth, lose, don't get a week off, travel to Perth a fortnight later, win, and then win the premiership.
2016 - The Dogs travel to Perth, win, because they finished 7th no week off, travel to Sydney for the Prelim, beat GWS, then win the premiership.
2018 - West Coast - won the flag in Melbourne. From 5 goals down. With three key players out.
2019 - Richmond travel to Brisbane for the Qualifying final. They smashed them and then won the premiership.

That has to be the easiest first 6 weeks we have have in 25 years.

I dont know how you can say that - and it might come back to bite you on the aarse unfortunately

I can remember what was it - season 2019 alot were saying ( including some cat supporters ) that Geel could be 0-7 after the 1st 7 rounds because it looked to be a brutally tough draw ( and Geel had finished a pretty ordinary 8th the previous season ) however i think the Cats won those opening 7 and were on top of the ladder

Anything can happen

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Coming off a bye and having to go take on Port in Adelaide. Not the best.

Concur it's a fantastic draw though. No trip to Perth to play the Eagles is nice.

FFS Here we go again.
9 Home games WTF
Grow some balls GFC. Grow some *ing balls.
As for the AFL and the pissants that run it.
Give 11 home games to every team. Let them decide where they want to play them.
Shits me to no end!!

FFS Here we go again.
9 Home games WTF
Shits me to no end!!
With hawthorn being a bottom 4 club, and with their petty fans not even bothering to attend their games, I have no idea why they want to play the game against them at the mcg. I would be surprised if 45k attended. They must be made to play down here in future imo.

FFS Here we go again.
9 Home games WTF
Shits me to no end!!

That's a bit harsh considering that the club has repeatedly asked for 11 home games at KP and for home finals to be at KP

Don't blame the club for decisions made at HQ

Remember last year when the club was a lot more vocal about home finals, there was more media attention about it and ultimately just more criticism of the club, talk that they were already finding excuses and they just needed to get on with playing football

The club puts in their fixture requests including 11 games at KP - what more do you want them to do? I guess we could boycott our "home" games at the MCG and just look childish about the whole thing, but that won't change the fixture decisions

Hopefully after the stage 5 update is complete we can get those additional home games at KP - but until then, I'm just happy that we have 2 home games at the MCG and none at Etihad/Marvel or whatever it's called

Coming off a bye and having to go take on Port in Adelaide. Not the best.

Concur it's a fantastic draw though. No trip to Perth to play the Eagles is nice.

Definitely a great overall draw for us.

The double-up games (given we were always likely to get two of the other three PF teams) are actually OK.

And, in the end, the only real disappointment with the post-bye game is that it gives an instant leg-up to an actual competitor. Would have been far better if we were dropping that game (as we inevitably will) to some minnow with no prospect of topping us on the H&A ladder. Still, the whole 'send Geelong interstate off the bye" shtick is starting to get a little tortured, AFL. You really don't have to try that hard to ensure we'll be gathering no H&A points on that weekend.

Also, as has been pointed out earlier in the thread, Port have joined the Tigs this time in being given a fantastic draw to set up their season. Having said that, we will have zero excuses if we can't get something going across the year with that draw in front of us. Very handy for a team that just played off in the GF.

Last edited:
That's a bit harsh considering that the club has repeatedly asked for 11 home games at KP and for home finals to be at KP

Don't blame the club for decisions made at HQ

Remember last year when the club was a lot more vocal about home finals, there was more media attention about it and ultimately just more criticism of the club, talk that they were already finding excuses and they just needed to get on with playing football

The club puts in their fixture requests including 11 games at KP - what more do you want them to do? I guess we could boycott our "home" games at the MCG and just look childish about the whole thing, but that won't change the fixture decisions

Hopefully after the stage 5 update is complete we can get those additional home games at KP - but until then, I'm just happy that we have 2 home games at the MCG and none at Etihad/Marvel or whatever it's called

Scott came out in 2019 and openly said that the club wants 11 actual home games each year. And then got pilloried by plenty across the footy world (including some here) for 'caring' about where we play. As if it was some sort of admission of mental weakness. Whereas every other club gets to choose exactly where their 11 home games will be played every season. And we're just supposed to cop the inequity and instead apparently just be thankful that we're permitted to play in this competition at all.

I'm glad the club has been repeatedly standing up to clearly call out what is an illegitimate, arbitrary and skewed method of determining 'who plays where'. And I'm not surprised that the AFL tells us to jam it, given their wanton pursuit of absolute power and their naked desire to always manipulate the game to their financial advantage.

In the end, it's abundantly clear which party lacks integrity here. And it definitely isn't the GFC.

Last edited:
With hawthorn being a bottom 4 club, and with their petty fans not even bothering to attend their games, I have no idea why they want to play the game against them at the mcg. I would be surprised if 45k attended. They must be made to play down here in future imo.

Without capacity restrictions I'd expect the Easter Monday clash to get 60k -> 70k regardless of the home team, and even more so next year with the added interest of a Hawk becoming a Cat

We don't know what capacity restrictions will be in place come April - might still only be 50% or maybe 75% capacity

Playing at the MCG could mean potentially 50k -> 70k being permitted to attend, versus only 15k - 20k if it was at KP

While I'd rather play all our home games at KP, I can actually understand that next year the AFL will to maximise crowds, and their financial return

I dont know how you can say that - and it might come back to bite you on the aarse unfortunately

I can remember what was it - season 2019 alot were saying ( including some cat supporters ) that Geel could be 0-7 after the 1st 7 rounds because it looked to be a brutally tough draw ( and Geel had finished a pretty ordinary 8th the previous season ) however i think the Cats won those opening 7 and were on top of the ladder

Anything can happen
We say things based on the knowledge we have at the time the fixture is made. If we compare draws at the time of the fixture being made for the past 25 years it looks to be one of the easiest. Obviously things can change in either direction once the season starts. But I'm not basing my opinion on future information which is impossible to have. I base it off the information we have now.

Without capacity restrictions I'd expect the Easter Monday clash to get 60k -> 70k regardless of the home team, and even more so next year with the added interest of a Hawk becoming a Cat

We don't know what capacity restrictions will be in place come April - might still only be 50% or maybe 75% capacity

Playing at the MCG could mean potentially 50k -> 70k being permitted to attend, versus only 15k - 20k if it was at KP

While I'd rather play all our home games at KP, I can actually understand that next year the AFL will to maximise crowds, and their financial return
Do you actually think people will come to the game just because Isaac Smith is now at geelong? How bizarre.

Do you actually think people will come to the game just because Isaac Smith is now at geelong? How bizarre.

This game might get some additional Cats fans up the highway. But that will be down to the accumulation of Cameron, Higgins and Smith as a collective, in my view.

Smith has been a really good servant of the Hawks, but he's hardly a luminary. So, unless they end up thinking they're a good chance to win, I can't see the Hawks supporters turning out in their droves. And certainly not to waste what they might otherwise term 'good money' just to jeer Smith as he goes around in the hoops.

Having said that, on reviewing the Easter Monday crowd numbers, they've actually held up remarkably well over recent years. So it might still end up being a decent drawing game, despite the fact that it doesn't really seem like a battle of the heavyweights anymore to me.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back