State Focus SA 2021 - South Australian Draft Prospects

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 30, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
West End Redbacks, Cleveland Browns
WA has a thread, but SA doesn't have a dedicated draft thread yet this year? Probably my fault, and I apologise. We're halfway through the season now, so let's see how things are going...

Let's start with the preliminary squad for the U19 Championships. It's a little different this year as most will know, playing two games in August and then coming back to play the final two games at the end of the season. SA have named an extended squad of 52 to play an internal trial on July 16 - which will then be cut down to 35 for the first two games against the Allies and WA. With the squad being picked by a group of people - including scouts from Adelaide, Port Adelaide, West Coast and the Western Bulldogs.

Who are the players to watch? Well, the obvious one is Jason Horne - in my opinion, the #1 prospect in this draft and I don't think it's close either. He's been playing league football this year for South Adelaide, along with fellow top 5-10 hopeful Matthew Roberts. Also likely to feature heavily for SA and vying for selection in the top 30 are midfielder Arlo Draper, half back/outside mid Lewis Rayson, Port Adelaide F/S Jase Burgoyne, small forward/mid Cooper Murley, tall forward Morgan Ferres and midfielder Hugh Jackson.

With the move to an U19 setup, who from last year is in line for selection at the Championships? Zac Dumesny would be the biggest name who was overlooked last year and has been a consistent performer at reserves grade. The two most likely to crack the starting line up would seem to be midfielder Mani Liddy and small forward/mid Henry Nelligan who have both played good league football for Sturt and Norwood respectively. Speedy outside mid Lachlan Grubb, ruckman Zac Phillips and the intriguing yet injured tall Ned Carey have also been named amongst others.

So what could a potential team look like? Well the chances of this being accurate are slim to none, but regardless...

b: Matthew Dnistriansky - Zac Becker - Blayne O'Loughlin
hb: Alastair Lord - Oscar Adams - Cooper Beecken
c: Lewis Rayson - Jason Horne - Jase Burgoyne
hf: Matthew Roberts - Lukas Cooke - Cooper Murley
f: Isaiah Dudley - Cody Gilchrist - Morgan Ferres
r: Saxon Evans - Arlo Draper - Mani Liddy

i: Jonte Hunter-Price - Henry Nelligan - Hugh Jackson - Nasiah Wanganeen - Shay Linke
e: Finn Heard - Hugh Stagg - James Willis - Cade Kennedy

As always, the KPPs are the toughest to predict - especially the defenders. Oscar Adams has played in the ruck for Glenelg in the U18s, but is a prime candidate to take up a defensive post. Zac Becker has been a solid rebounder, but at least has the size to play taller. I'm sure the coaches have someone in mind, just have to wait and see what way they go. They certainly have a lot of quality small and medium defenders to choose from though. There are more talls to choose from up forward with Lukas Cooke and Cody Gilchrist, the question is whether Morgan Ferres is the focal point or if they play him more as a third tall - his most likely role at AFL level. I expect they go shorter than I've picked, but having said that I don't mind what 19 year old Finn Heard has done at reserves level either.

If I had to pick a 'bolter' ahead of the Champs? I'd probably go with Cooper Beecken from Glenelg. Probably not a true bolter in the sense of the word since he's been mentioned as a top 30 prospect, but the one I think is most likely to enter first round calculations. 191cm, can play half back and wing. Will Day will be a popular comparison if it isn't already.

What else is there? With the mid season draft, 4 players were picked from the SANFL. But if you count him, Oliver Davis has been playing for Adelaide in the SANFL and has been picked in the Allies initial squad as a 19 year old. Also keep an eye on Leek Alleer at Central Districts, 196cm defender improving each week. Soon to turn 20 and looks the perfect developmental tall for an AFL list. Here's the list of weekly award winners for the young player of the week...

League Powerade Breakthrough Player
Round 1 - Jason Horne
Round 2 - Joshua Shute
Round 3 - Zane Williams
Round 4 - Tom Lewis
Round 5 - Josh Gore
Round 6 - Dyson Hilder
Round 7 - Jackson Callow
Round 8 - Henry Nelligan
Round 9 - Luke Beecken
Round 10 - Mani Liddy
Round 11 - Leek Alleer

That's enough for now. I know there are plenty of others who watch the SANFL, both league and juniors. This isn't just a thread for me, so put up your thoughts and game reviews.

Are Hilder and Alleer too old to play?

I've liked the run and carry of South Adelaide's Isaac Birt, been very good all year, absolute running machine on the wing, looks to have good all round skills. Your thoughts?

He's developing quite nicely. It's good seeing South Adelaide have so much underage talent. Field kicking is good, decent mark overhead - which I still maintain is a very important trait in juniors, not just for KPPs. I haven't seen his best games from this year, tempted to watch the Round 10 win over Norwood in which he won the weekly MVP. I think he has the versatility at U19 level to play at either end or on a wing. So that's important because he'll be competing with a few different guys for midfield spots in the SA team...

I like Birt. Seems like a decent rookie option.

Im all about the North Adelaide trio of Jackson-Harrison-Willis

With Jackson, Harrison and Willis all being some of those guys competing with Birt for a midfield spots. The internal trial will be important as to who clinches that starting spot, as opposed to being rotated in and out of the side. I have Willis just ahead of Birt at the moment.

WA has a thread, but SA doesn't have a dedicated draft thread yet this year? Probably my fault, and I apologise. We're halfway through the season now, so let's see how things are going...

Let's start with the preliminary squad for the U19 Championships. It's a little different this year as most will know, playing two games in August and then coming back to play the final two games at the end of the season. SA have named an extended squad of 52 to play an internal trial on July 16 - which will then be cut down to 35 for the first two games against the Allies and WA. With the squad being picked by a group of people - including scouts from Adelaide, Port Adelaide, West Coast and the Western Bulldogs.

Who are the players to watch? Well, the obvious one is Jason Horne - in my opinion, the #1 prospect in this draft and I don't think it's close either. He's been playing league football this year for South Adelaide, along with fellow top 5-10 hopeful Matthew Roberts. Also likely to feature heavily for SA and vying for selection in the top 30 are midfielder Arlo Draper, half back/outside mid Lewis Rayson, Port Adelaide F/S Jase Burgoyne, small forward/mid Cooper Murley, tall forward Morgan Ferres and midfielder Hugh Jackson.

With the move to an U19 setup, who from last year is in line for selection at the Championships? Zac Dumesny would be the biggest name who was overlooked last year and has been a consistent performer at reserves grade. The two most likely to crack the starting line up would seem to be midfielder Mani Liddy and small forward/mid Henry Nelligan who have both played good league football for Sturt and Norwood respectively. Speedy outside mid Lachlan Grubb, ruckman Zac Phillips and the intriguing yet injured tall Ned Carey have also been named amongst others.

So what could a potential team look like? Well the chances of this being accurate are slim to none, but regardless...

b: Matthew Dnistriansky - Zac Becker - Blayne O'Loughlin
hb: Alastair Lord - Oscar Adams - Cooper Beecken
c: Lewis Rayson - Jason Horne - Jase Burgoyne
hf: Matthew Roberts - Lukas Cooke - Cooper Murley
f: Isaiah Dudley - Cody Gilchrist - Morgan Ferres
r: Saxon Evans - Arlo Draper - Mani Liddy

i: Jonte Hunter-Price - Henry Nelligan - Hugh Jackson - Nasiah Wanganeen - Shay Linke
e: Finn Heard - Hugh Stagg - James Willis - Cade Kennedy

As always, the KPPs are the toughest to predict - especially the defenders. Oscar Adams has played in the ruck for Glenelg in the U18s, but is a prime candidate to take up a defensive post. Zac Becker has been a solid rebounder, but at least has the size to play taller. I'm sure the coaches have someone in mind, just have to wait and see what way they go. They certainly have a lot of quality small and medium defenders to choose from though. There are more talls to choose from up forward with Lukas Cooke and Cody Gilchrist, the question is whether Morgan Ferres is the focal point or if they play him more as a third tall - his most likely role at AFL level. I expect they go shorter than I've picked, but having said that I don't mind what 19 year old Finn Heard has done at reserves level either.

If I had to pick a 'bolter' ahead of the Champs? I'd probably go with Cooper Beecken from Glenelg. Probably not a true bolter in the sense of the word since he's been mentioned as a top 30 prospect, but the one I think is most likely to enter first round calculations. 191cm, can play half back and wing. Will Day will be a popular comparison if it isn't already.

What else is there? With the mid season draft, 4 players were picked from the SANFL. But if you count him, Oliver Davis has been playing for Adelaide in the SANFL and has been picked in the Allies initial squad as a 19 year old. Also keep an eye on Leek Alleer at Central Districts, 196cm defender improving each week. Soon to turn 20 and looks the perfect developmental tall for an AFL list. Here's the list of weekly award winners for the young player of the week...

League Powerade Breakthrough Player
Round 1 - Jason Horne
Round 2 - Joshua Shute
Round 3 - Zane Williams
Round 4 - Tom Lewis
Round 5 - Josh Gore
Round 6 - Dyson Hilder
Round 7 - Jackson Callow
Round 8 - Henry Nelligan
Round 9 - Luke Beecken
Round 10 - Mani Liddy
Round 11 - Leek Alleer

That's enough for now. I know there are plenty of others who watch the SANFL, both league and juniors. This isn't just a thread for me, so put up your thoughts and game reviews.

In light of the injuries, probably worth putting up SA's schedule...

*squad of 52*

July 16 - internal trial

*squad of 35*

July 24 - home against Allies
August 7 - away against WA

*squad can change*

September 24 - away against Vic Country
September 28 - away against Vic Metro

So Matthew Roberts is out for around 3 months, seems like he'd be touch and go for the final two matches. Hopefully Arlo Draper isn't out for as long and can get up for both those games too. It's a big loss for SA with Roberts in the top 5 mix and Draper looking to solidify a top 10 spot. But there'll be some huge midfield opportunities in the first two games for others.

Weekend update...

Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera made his league debut for Glenelg, winning 10 possessions playing largely off the wing. He's a nice size and moves well, so good to see him getting a taste of senior football. Shay Linke kept his spot in the Centrals team. While Jason Horne was his usual consistent self, finishing with 16 touches and 7 tackles.

Cooper Murley returned in the U18s and was his usual self - 31 touches and 2 goals. While Matthew Dnistriasnky, Hugh Jackson, Cade Kennedy and Lewis Rayson also continued on their merry ways.

For the mature aged guys, I still think Tom Lewis could be on a list - even if it's just as a depth midfield option. Yes he's only small at 176cm, but he racked up 21 tackles and is averaging over 10 a game this year. Dyson Hilder had a decent day up forward with 2 goals and 5 marks. For South Adelaide, Hayden Sampson had one of his best games of his career so far. And one of my favourites this year, Leek Alleer, was one of Central's better players with 5 intercept marks against Port Adelaide. He'll be on a list next year for sure. Everyone loves a good highlights video...

Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera made his league debut for Glenelg, winning 10 possessions playing largely off the wing. He's a nice size and moves well, so good to see him getting a taste of senior football.
Obligatory 'what's the relation?' post. Wayne Milera? Gavin Wanganeen?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That might make sense, if his dad is only 33 (according to wiki) he would've been 15/16 when Nasiah was born?

Nasiah is actually the stepson of Terry. I think Eddie Sansbury is the biological dad.

Will be very interested to see how young Zac Becker gets on. He’s absolutely killed school footy this year for Scotch, been promoted to reserves at Sturt, and looks to be playing quite well at that level.

Looks a real shout for the SAAS medal and must be a draft chance although not spoken about too much

Will be very interested to see how young Zac Becker gets on. He’s absolutely killed school footy this year for Scotch, been promoted to reserves at Sturt, and looks to be playing quite well at that level.

Looks a real shout for the SAAS medal and must be a draft chance although not spoken about too much

Key forward for Scotch, key defender for Sturt. He’s certainly played well for both teams. I think he’s a good chance to play full back at the Champs, sort of like that slightly undersized but strong Tom Jonas role.

If he gets the job and does well, it’ll do his chances no harm. A KPP who can mark and kick will always have interest.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back