State Focus SA 2021 - South Australian Draft Prospects

Remove this Banner Ad

No Horne and Linke as they are playing league. While there's no Willis, Lord, Roberts, Draper, Nelligan and Murley through injury. Handy group of players there.

Will be good to see who they go with as the talls at either end. Some spots are definitely there for the taking.

No Horne and Linke as they are playing league. While there's no Willis, Lord, Roberts, Draper, Nelligan and Murley through injury. Handy group of players there.

Will be good to see who they go with as the talls at either end. Some spots are definitely there for the taking.
Are there any tall forwards you like?

Chris25 Hi Chris how do you rate Morgan Ferres. Is he good ground level,tackles and good on small/medium defenders? do you think he will be available for Freo's second pick? Where you rank Hugh jackson and arlo draper in the order? thank you

Chris25 ... with your familarity on SA draft prospects... can you tell me why Close was never drafted. Seems to have come in and done well at Geelong.
Excuse me to interrupt - my understanding with close is that although eligible for junior state squads, he preferred to go back to Mt Gambier and play senior footy for his Dads club. May have won a flag or 2 I think.

He eventually found his way back to Glenelg football where he joined the reserves, pushed up to seniors and won a flag. Was rookied at the next draft by Geelong.

Happy To be corrected but I THINK that was his journey.

Excuse me to interrupt - my understanding with close is that although eligible for junior state squads, he preferred to go back to Mt Gambier and play senior footy for his Dads club. May have won a flag or 2 I think.

He eventually found his way back to Glenelg football where he joined the reserves, pushed up to seniors and won a flag. Was rookied at the next draft by Geelong.

Happy To be corrected but I THINK that was his journey.

Thanks for that

Lachlan GrubbCentral177cm75kg
Isaiah DudleyCentral166cm69kg
Shay LinkeCentral190cm79kg
Saxon EvansCentral201cm94kg
Luca WhitelumCentral188cm77kg
Dayne McGaryGlenelg192cm85kg
Lewis RaysonGlenelg183cm69kg
Nasiah Wanganeen-MileraGlenelg188cm70kg
Cooper BeeckenGlenelg190cm73kg
Hugh StaggGlenelg180cm79kg
Jacob OwensGlenelg184cm69kg
Oscar AdamsGlenelg198cm85kg
Blayne O'LoughlinNorth171cm74kg
Hugh JacksonNorth181cm70kg
James WillisNorth180cm75kg
Harvey HarrisonNorth181cm71kg
Cooper MurleyNorwood178cm69kg
Arlo DraperSouth186cm75kg
Jason HorneSouth184cm77kg
Isaac BirtSouth181cm70kg
Matthew RobertsSouth184cm80kg
Mani LiddySturt183cm80kg
Morgan FerresSturt190cm80kg
Will SpainSturt178cm69kg
Zac BeckerSturt190cm92kg
Cade KennedyWest178cm75kg
Oscar SteeneWest199cm82kg
Max LitsterWoodville-West Torrens184cm83kg
Zac PhillipsWoodville-West Torrens201cm85kg
Jordan LukacWoodville-West Torrens196cm89kg
Brayden CalvettWoodville-West Torrens177cm72kg
Jase BurgoyneWoodville-West Torrens186cm65kg
Lukas CookeWoodville-West Torrens

Isaac BirtSouth181cm70kg
Mani LiddySturt183cm80kg
Will SpainSturt178cm69kg
Zac BeckerSturt190cm92kg
6A876A44-C7B7-446D-B564-49AF09765097.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty obvious who I think the unlucky one is. Doubt Dnistriansky will get added either, not much more he could show that he hasn’t already. Still reckon he’ll be a good player.

Otherwise no real surprises. I think the back line is stacking up quite well. They’ll need Ferres and Dudley to perform well up forward if they’re to win though.

Pretty obvious who I think the unlucky one is. Doubt Dnistriansky will get added either, not much more he could show that he hasn’t already. Still reckon he’ll be a good player.

Otherwise no real surprises. I think the back line is stacking up quite well. They’ll need Ferres and Dudley to perform well up forward if they’re to win though.

Almost obscene he's not in it. Will be in the top 8-10 from that squad

Almost obscene he's not in it. Will be in the top 8-10 from that squad

Hard to really know what more he can do. Yes there are some limitations from an athletic standpoint, but he had a good trial game. His actual defensive work looked improved and his kicking was better than a lot of the other guys out there. Even if they don't think he's in the starting defence, he's surely got to be in the mix as a back up - even just as a reward for consistency. Problem is they seem to have him marked down as just a third tall, which can be played by either of the likely starting KPDs McGary and Becker.

Dnistriansky not picked - are you serious? Had a ripping game last Friday night against quality opponents. Clearly one of the best if not the best kicks in the squad, excellent endurance, good intercept mark and a great reader of the play. I'm shocked!!!

Does anyone know anything about Norwood’s Jack Ianniello? He’s been going well at ressies level as an u18, I was shocked to see him not get recognition in at least the initial sa squad? What are people’s thoughts

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I haven't seen his Reserves games but I was a fan of what he was doing in the U18's in the couple of games I saw him play. He's a strong, medium type forward who is pretty good in 1 on 1's and a capable contested mark. His follow up work is really good too once the ball hits the deck, he's a good tackler and his agility allows him to stay in the contest and have an impact. He does push up and around the ground too and holds his grabs on long leads. His kicking can be a little patchy I think and that's probably where he needs to find a little more consistency.

I don't know that I would've had him miles ahead of anyone who made the initial squad. Even if they aren't exact like for likes, SA actually have a fair bit of depth in the positions that Jack would've played so it's probably not a surprise to me that he didn't get a look in. I do like him though and think at this stage he's positioned to have a real crack at a State League career.

Isaac BirtSouth181cm70kg
Mani LiddySturt183cm80kg
Will SpainSturt178cm69kg
Zac BeckerSturt190cm92kg
Any thoughts on Beecken?

Good mark and has impressed me as a taller winger where I think he might fit in at AFL level, need to watch more of him admittedly
I liked his performance in the futures match last year, had a bit of Ridley about him. Strong intercept game and a tidy decision-maker.

The Advertiser Top 30

1. Jason Horne
“He’s a future Brownlow Medallist and one of the most complete players, offensively and defensively, I’ve ever seen come out of SA,’’ one AFL recruiter told The Advertiser. “At South we compare him to (dual Fremantle Brownlow Medallist) Nat Fyfe in terms of his size, how he moves and his overhead marking ability. He has everything you could hope for in a midfielder.’’

2. Matthew Roberts
“Matty is the best player in SA for footy IQ in his age group,’’ Bamford said. “He sees the game quicker than most in real time.

3. Jase Burgoyne
I think his best football is at half-back and in the midfield and once he gets another 10kg heavier, boy oh boy, he’s that talented he could turn into the next Shaun Burgoyne.

4. Arlo Draper
His versatility is very rare and makes him so valuable. Some players can play multiple positions but they don't do it all that well, whereas this guy does it at an above average level in all three parts of the ground, which is his point of difference.

5. Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera
He's never going to be a bash-and-crash player but neither was Nick Dal Santo

6. Hugh Jackson
7. Blayne O'Loughlin
8. Cooper Murley
9. Isaiah Dudley
Bamford said he is the most skilful SA player in this year's draft pool. “He’s a rare talent, more talented than Horne and Roberts,’’ he said. “In order of talent, he’s number one, but he’s still a bit immature and learning about the game

10. Lewis Rayson

11. Cooper Beecken
12. Shay Linke
13. Morgan Ferres
14. Zac Becker
15. Hugh Stagg
16. Isaac Birt
17. Will Spain
18. James Willis
19. Leek Alleer
He’s very athletic, very coachable, very intelligent, very humble and a very quiet professional whose upside is tremendous

20. Cade Kennedy

21. Mani Liddy
22. Darcy McDonald
23. Harvey Harrison
24. Tristan Binder
25. Jordan Lukac
26. Lachlan Grubb
27. Oscar Adams
The 198cm Adams, who boasts a terrific vertical leap and good skills, has transitioned from strong-marking defender to mobile ruckman in the under-18s this season

28. Matthew Dnistriansky
29. Brock Thomson
30. Lukas Cooke

Chris25, what do you make of the concerns about Roberts' pace?

Well, I'm not concerned.

You aren't picking Roberts as an athlete - he's a footballer. I think where he goes will be a good indicator of what clubs value. Personally, I don't value sprint testing for midfielders particularly highly. The vast majority of top midfielders across the league aren't fast and the modern game doesn't need them to be. For the top teams, it's all about speed of ball movement. And that's Roberts' biggest strength - elite decision maker, probably the smartest mid in the draft from a footballing perspective. The two best mids under 21 in the league are Walsh and Brayshaw, I think Roberts shares some similarities with both.

Also I suspect his testing will have improved by the end of the season. I think he'll be in the average to good range for endurance, still a bit below average for speed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back