Resource 2024 Squad Selection & Ratings

Remove this Banner Ad

Nelson will be a midfielder long term. That is the plan going forward and the role he wants to play. More or less being kept out of the midfield due to matchups.
I thought that in his first few games in WAFL last year when he played tagger but then he spent the rest of the year as designated kick in defender. Continues to split kick in with Hurn.

Edwards looks very good but he clearly has the question of whether he can handle the big boys one on one. I’m not saying it’ll always be a weakness, just one he has to continue working on.

Don't want to add to any angst but I think Edwards has added some good size. At the state academy, he was 195cm and 80kg, by the time he walked into the club he was 197cm and 84 kg and from then he's grown to 200cm and 90kg earlier this year. Growing 20cm over two years and having a November birthday he is rightly on the slight side still. After the game, I thought it looked clear he's added more size through his legs and core.

If you look at Harris Andrews who is the prototype for Edwards he's listed at 201cm and 100kg. Andrews was drafted at 198cm and 91kg.

Don't want to add to any angst but I think Edwards has added some good size. At the state academy, he was 195cm and 80kg, by the time he walked into the club he was 197cm and 84 kg and from then he's grown to 200cm and 90kg earlier this year. Growing 20cm over two years and having a November birthday he is rightly on the slight side still. After the game, I thought it looked clear he's added more size through his legs and core.

If you look at Harris Andrews who is the prototype for Edwards he's listed at 201cm and 100kg. Andrews was drafted at 198cm and 91kg.
Sure, but there’s more to handling the gorilla forwards than just size alone. At this stage I feel Harry’s strengths still lay in his intercept work and I’m keen to see him become more adept 1-1 and become a complete KPD. He’s definitely got the potential to do so.

Ratings updated after Round 9.

Five wins in a row and the strength available through the midfield is starting to flex its muscle.

Hurn's decline since the start of the season however, shows no sign of abating.

Compared to the rest of the competition, the current squad is ranked best in terms of overall and available 22s.

Squad Selection:

Round 11 (vs Carlton Blues @ Optus Stadium [Perth Stadium])

WCE-Selection-2020-R11.jpg

Two changes to the squad that defeated Geelong:

Edwards is ruled out after his concussion on debut. McGovern's troublesome thumb keeps him out for a third match in succession. Rotham is brought into the squad to fulfill the defensive role.

With Redden declared fit after missing last week Ainsworth loses his place.

"There is a serious weakness in defence that is limiting this team."

I think as a unit our defence has been pretty rock solid since the Swans game. We're one of the least scored-against teams in the league, and it's not through our opposition's lack of inside 50s either. It's the best our transition from defence has looked since 2018.

Guess this is where individual player ratings don't meet up with what we're seeing across a game from the team.

"There is a serious weakness in defence that is limiting this team."

I think as a unit our defence has been pretty rock solid since the Swans game. We're one of the least scored-against teams in the league, and it's not through our opposition's lack of inside 50s either. It's the best our transition from defence has looked since 2018.

Guess this is where individual player ratings don't meet up with what we're seeing across a game from the team.

Agreed to an extent. That automated output is mostly coming from A+ McGovern being replaced by Rotham who is yet to gain a rating. The rapid drop from Hurn is also impacting upon it whereas the improvements from Duggan, Nelson and Cole are still coming through.

Within a few weeks I expect this will correct itself if Rotham gets more games and Duggan / Nelson in particular move towards B rating territory.

Squad Selection:

Round 12 (vs Hawthorn Hawks @ Optus Stadium [Perth Stadium])

WCE-Selection-2020-R12.JPG

Three changes this week, two forced by injury.

McGovern has been declared fit to play and returns to the squad after missing the past three matches. With Duggan and Waterman unavailable through injury, Rotham retains a place in the squad and Reid is named to make his AFL debut.

Small forward Cameron is omitted after some poor form and replaced by the midfielder Ainsworth.

Edit: Late change

WCE-Selection-2020-R12-LateChange.jpg

Yeo is a late withdrawal from the side with Brander named to replace him.

A change that significantly weakens the squad.

Last edited:
Squad Selection:

Round 13 (vs GWS Giants @ Optus Stadium [Perth Stadium])

WCE-Selection-2020-R13.JPG

Two changes.

With Redden joining Yeo in being sidelined by injury, the midfield depth is being tested. Duggan returns to the squad and looks set to spend more time in the middle.

With Ainsworth not providing the desired impact, he is omitted for X.O'Neill who will be the club's second debutant in consecutive weeks.

Reid retains his place after his fairytale call-up last week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Squad Selection:

Round 14 (vs Richmond Tigers @ Metricon Stadium [Carrara Oval])

WCE-Selection-2020-R14.JPG

Two changes.

Allen and Nelson are withdrawn with injuries sustained in the match against GWS that are unable to be overcome in the four day break between matches.

Hutchings makes a welcome return for his first match of the season and Williams is named to become the third debutant for the club in as many weeks.

Arguably the weakest selection this season for a match of critical importance in its outcome.

Squad Selection:

Round 15 (vs Essendon Bombers @ Gabba)

WCE-Selection-2020-R15.JPG

Four changes enacted after the short-break loss to Richmond.

Reid and Brander are omitted after their poor showing against the Tigers. Kennedy remains affected by the concussion that saw him sidelined during the first quarter of the previous match and Cripps has returned to WA for the birth of his child.

Redden, Allen and Nelson return to fitness and the squad. After finding himself sidelined for much of the season, Jetta is named to make his first appearance since Round 4.

With effectively nine defenders being named in the squad, I am expecting some surprises in the coming match.

Squad Selection:

Round 16 (vs Western [Footscray] Bulldogs @ Metricon Stadium [Carrara Oval])

WCE-Selection-2020-R16.JPG

Three changes for the club's fifth match at Carrara this season (currently a 1-3 record at the venue, only other loss this season being vs Brisbane @ Gabba).

Kennedy and Waterman return from injuries to bolster the forward line. Williams is omitted for structure and Hurn, who appeared to struggle against Essendon is managed this week for fitness and balance with the squad carrying an excess of defenders in the previous match.

Of greater impact is the absence of Shuey with a hamstring injury to further deplete the midfield ranks. In his place comes Ainsworth, a considerable drop in both quality and output.

This is the weakest squad selected by the club in a very long time - 'D' ratings in both midfield and overall.

Going to be a very tough match against the Bulldogs who are currently rated as having by far the strongest available midfield in the competition.

Late change:

Naitanui is a late injury withdrawal, replaced by Hickey.

WCE-Selection-2020-R16-latechange.JPG

The change results in the midfield having a lowest possible rating.

Going to be very tough to come out of this match with a positive result now.

Last edited:
Squad Selection:

Round 18 (vs North Melbourne Kangaroos @ Metricon Stadium [Carrara Oval])

WCE-Selection-2020-R18.jpg

Four changes, but surprisingly only one is due to injury.

McGovern is lost with his hamstring, whilst the young trio Brander, Brayshaw and X.O'Neill are omitted.

Returning from injury are Sheed and Ah Chee with Williams coming in for his third match as additional ruck support against Goldstein.

Foley comes in to make his AFL debut - the 6th for the club this year.

The depleted squad can only manage an F rating.

Squad Selection:

Round 18 (vs North Melbourne Kangaroos @ Metricon Stadium [Carrara Oval])

View attachment 964093

Four changes, but surprisingly only one is due to injury.

McGovern is lost with his hamstring, whilst the young trio Brander, Brayshaw and X.O'Neill are omitted.

Returning from injury are Sheed and Ah Chee with Williams coming in for his third match as additional ruck support against Goldstein.

Foley comes in to make his AFL debut - the 6th for the club this year.

The depleted squad can only manage an F rating.

Really? So what was Norf’s rating?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back