St Neil

Premiership Player
Aug 14, 2016
Aspendale Gardens
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Blackpool
David King just doesn’t rate us. Never has. In fact, he’s never really liked us. Going back to the rubbish he spluttered about the Carlisle trade all those years ago.

Was it King who said we wouldn’t win a game several years ago? Was that him?

King just had to have a crack about our trading over the past 4 years being at the expense of drafting kids with early selections. Like trading-in young guns like Dougal Howard and Jack Higgins that included the club still remaining with a 1st RDP from those trades.

He’s also never made mention of star players we have drafted in the PSD like Rowan Marshall or Callum Wilkie. Players that are worthy of being first round picks who are important players in this team..

Doesn’t seem to suit his argument.

Oct 2, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda
David King just doesn’t rate us. Never has. In fact, he’s never really liked us. Going back to the rubbish he spluttered about the Carlisle trade all those years ago.

Was it King who said we wouldn’t win a game several years ago? Was that him?

King just had to have a crack about our trading over the past 4 years being at the expense of drafting kids with early selections. Like trading-in young guns like Dougal Howard and Jack Higgins that included the club still remaining with a 1st RDP from those trades.

He’s also never made mention of star players we have drafted in the PSD like Rowan Marshall or Callum Wilkie. Players that are worthy of being first round picks who are important players in this team..

Doesn’t seem to suit his argument.
If you look at it, we still have 5 first round draft picks from the past 4 drafts anyway.

Oct 2, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda
Correct. And we still had Richmond’s 1st RDP from that trade.

So you could argue that last year we traded/drafted 2 x 1st RDPs.
We have done well to make sure that the players we have targeted in trades are all still pretty good ages - Ryder is the main one who we traded for that only had 1-2 years left.

Signing multiple older players are back-up/depth options has rocketed us up the average list age rankings, but the average age of our best 22 would be in a very good place.

St Neil

Premiership Player
Aug 14, 2016
Aspendale Gardens
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Blackpool
We have done well to make sure that the players we have targeted in trades are all still pretty good ages - Ryder is the main one who we traded for that only had 1-2 years left.

Signing multiple older players are back-up/depth options has rocketed us up the average list age rankings, but the average age of our best 22 would be in a very good place.

I think our trading has been brilliant. We have traded both for immediate need and the longer term.

And the only year we didn’t have a 1st RDP at the National draft was in 2019 when we turned pick 6, Blake Acres, and later pick swaps the next year, into Brad Hill, Dougal Howard and Paddy Ryder.

Premium

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 8, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
I think our trading has been brilliant. We have traded both for immediate need and the longer term.

And the only year we didn’t have a 1st RDP at the National draft was in 2019 when we turned pick 6, Blake Acres, and later pick swaps the next year, into Brad Hill, Dougal Howard and Paddy Ryder.

Add on Butler who we basically got for not much at all and his first year with us just failed to get into the All Australian side.
Ryder was also a shrewd pickup , after his last year with port many people thought he was well past his best including me but he dropped a massive amount of weight and really showed how good he was last year.
Wilkie was just stab in the dark and the guy hasn't put a foot wrong since becoming a Saint.
Higgins has always had the ability and he is showing he could be a very important part of the team the way he is going.
Jones , Hill are quality players who will produce so in all we are in great shape when you add Brad Crouch into a team with a batch of highly talented kids like Hunter Clark , Coffield , King , Paton , Battle.
The only recruit who really hasn't produced his best is Hannerbery but you can't win them all.

Now if the team can gel in the first few rounds quickly anything can happen this year

St Neil

Premiership Player
Aug 14, 2016
Aspendale Gardens
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Blackpool
Add on Butler who we basically got for not much at all and his first year with us just failed to get into the All Australian side.
Ryder was also a shrewd pickup , after his last year with port many people thought he was well past his best including me but he dropped a massive amount of weight and really showed how good he was last year.
Wilkie was just stab in the dark and the guy hasn't put a foot wrong since becoming a Saint.
Higgins has always had the ability and he is showing he could be a very important part of the team the way he is going.
Jones , Hill are quality players who will produce so in all we are in great shape when you add Brad Crouch into a team with a batch of highly talented kids like Hunter Clark , Coffield , King , Paton , Battle.
The only recruit who really hasn't produced his best is Hannerbery but you can't win them all.

Now if the team can gel in the first few rounds quickly anything can happen this year

I agree with all that. Butler was the bargain of last year. Pick 56 for a 24 year old who could be a star for close to a decade. He should’ve been an AA last year.

Hannebery has been very good in some games but it seems his body is letting him down. However from what we have read his greatest impact may be off-field and this should not be ignored.

Highmore, based on a small sample, also looks like he will be a very good player.

I reckon most of the media are underestimating our trading/recruitment/drafting. Especially during the past 3 years. It’s not a problem, they will eventually work it out.

LuckyBounce!

All Australian
May 3, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
I agree with all that. Butler was the bargain of last year. Pick 56 for a 24 year old who could be a star for close to a decade. He should’ve been an AA last year.

Hannebery has been very good in some games but it seems his body is letting him down. However from what we have read his greatest impact may be off-field and this should not be ignored.

Highmore, based on a small sample, also looks like he will be a very good player.

I reckon most of the media are underestimating our trading/recruitment/drafting. Especially during the past 3 years. It’s not a problem, they will eventually work it out.

Then they will tell us how they knew it all along and forget about saying we weren’t quite up with the best!

puppy_dog7

Premiership Player
Jul 29, 2007
AFL Club
St Kilda
What really gets at me is everyone carrying on about the age of our list. So many outsiders and people in the media going on about us having the oldest list. Well if they actually go and look at it closer they’ll realise that we only have 8 in the 28+ age bracket and the majority are quite easily replaceable like Carlisle, Frawley, McKernan, Geary, Hunter.

we have 18 in the 24-28 age bracket however, which is 4 more than the next closest in Melbourne and Dogs. To me this indicates that we are absolutely primed for the next 3-4 years, and as long as we can keep adding shrewd pickups through trade we should be fine. Not to mention it’ll be easier to pick a few diamonds late out of the next few drafts due to there being not much exposed form from last year.

maybe I’m a bit biased but I see huge potential in our list and am certainly not worried about what everyone says about us lacking star power. Everyone loves to say that about teams until they break into the top 4 and have multiple guys put their hand up for AA. Hell, even after the last 2 years people still don’t see Marshall or Steele as being stars.

Tommy Wigs

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 10, 2012
AFL Club
St Kilda
What really gets at me is everyone carrying on about the age of our list. So many outsiders and people in the media going on about us having the oldest list. Well if they actually go and look at it closer they’ll realise that we only have 8 in the 28+ age bracket and the majority are quite easily replaceable like Carlisle, Frawley, McKernan, Geary, Hunter.

we have 18 in the 24-28 age bracket however, which is 4 more than the next closest in Melbourne and Dogs. To me this indicates that we are absolutely primed for the next 3-4 years, and as long as we can keep adding shrewd pickups through trade we should be fine. Not to mention it’ll be easier to pick a few diamonds late out of the next few drafts due to there being not much exposed form from last year.

maybe I’m a bit biased but I see huge potential in our list and am certainly not worried about what everyone says about us lacking star power. Everyone loves to say that about teams until they break into the top 4 and have multiple guys put their hand up for AA. Hell, even after the last 2 years people still don’t see Marshall or Steele as being stars.
Yep and we don’t have a bunch of speculative 18 year olds. A couple of older depth players go and a few 18 year olds come in (potentially even mid year) and it’ll move a bit. To be fair, I would like to ensure that we don’t leave too much of a gap, so I think that broad comment around draft picks makes sense, but when we have brought in the likes of Higgins and Doogs etc, the commentators seem to be just finding holes to pick.

Premium

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 8, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
Yep and we don’t have a bunch of speculative 18 year olds. A couple of older depth players go and a few 18 year olds come in (potentially even mid year) and it’ll move a bit. To be fair, I would like to ensure that we don’t leave too much of a gap, so I think that broad comment around draft picks makes sense, but when we have brought in the likes of Higgins and Doogs etc, the commentators seem to be just finding holes to pick.
Take out Frawley , Geary , McKernan , Hannerbery and Ryder we will have one of the youngest lists and out these 4 only Ryder is needed to our list.
I inserted Highmore , but I fully expect we will pickup a CHB if it is needed.
The media will bring up anything to push there argument for a club to fail.

Paton 22 - Howard 25 - Wilkie 25
Coffield 21 - Highmore 23 - Sinclair 26
Billings 25 - Steele 25 - Hill 27
Butler 25 - Battle 22 - Higgins 22
Gresham 23 - King 21 - Membery 27

Marshall 25 - Crouch 27 - Jones 26

Hunter Clark 22 / Ross 28 / Long 23 / Bytel 21

just named a few players I expect to be around in a couple yrs and the only player that might not be there is Highmore but apart from that Ross is our oldest player at 28

basically we are ripe to have a good crack at the flag for the next 5 years knowing our main core of the team are 25 or less
Steele
Butler
Billings
Howard
Wilkie
Marshall
Battle
Paton
Coffield
Hunter Clark
King
Gresham
Highmore
Long
Lonie
Byrne

Also knowing Frawley , McKernan , Geary and even Roberton could be playing there last year for the club we will have a war chest to poach class players from other clubs because we will have the money to do it.

And they way the recruitment team are going I fully expect them to kill it next year with all of our draft picks and a war chest to entice a Ben King or whoever we need.
Like the idiots in the media say whatever they want but I'm happy they picked up the older players as fill ins because draftees will not cut it when you are pushing for a flag.

Munga

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 2, 2003
AFL Club
St Kilda
I think we'll start something like this. Although Hanners is always a question mark. Average/median age would be 24.9, which I doubt is the oldest. Paddy is 5 years older than the next oldest, so if he doesn't get up that age drops quite a bit.

FButler, DanielKing, MaxLonie, Jack
HFBillings, JackMembrey, TimGresham, Jade
CJones, ZakSinclair, JackHill, Bradley
HBClark, HunterHighmore, TomBattle, Josh
BWilkie, CallumHoward, DougalCoffield, Nicholas
RMarshall, RowanSteele, JackCrouch, Brad
IRyder, PatrickRoss, SebastianHannebery, DanielHiggins, Jack

SaintJunior

All Australian
Mar 13, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
Can’t believe people are saying that the Kebab vendor bashing drink driving idiot that is David King has no idea.

Show the man some respect he is a huge fan of stats , that that show Mason Cox is elite so he knows his stuff.

Did he mention that we missed out on Darcy Parish.

Feb 21, 2004
AFL Club
St Kilda
Take out Frawley , Geary , McKernan , Hannerbery and Ryder we will have one of the youngest lists and out these 4 only Ryder is needed to our list.
I inserted Highmore , but I fully expect we will pickup a CHB if it is needed.
The media will bring up anything to push there argument for a club to fail.

Paton 22 - Howard 25 - Wilkie 25
Coffield 21 - Highmore 23 - Sinclair 26
Billings 25 - Steele 25 - Hill 27
Butler 25 - Battle 22 - Higgins 22
Gresham 23 - King 21 - Membery 27

Marshall 25 - Crouch 27 - Jones 26

Hunter Clark 22 / Ross 28 / Long 23 / Bytel 21

just named a few players I expect to be around in a couple yrs and the only player that might not be there is Highmore but apart from that Ross is our oldest player at 28

basically we are ripe to have a good crack at the flag for the next 5 years knowing our main core of the team are 25 or less
Steele
Butler
Billings
Howard
Wilkie
Marshall
Battle
Paton
Coffield
Hunter Clark
King
Gresham
Highmore
Long
Lonie
Byrne

Also knowing Frawley , McKernan , Geary and even Roberton could be playing there last year for the club we will have a war chest to poach class players from other clubs because we will have the money to do it.

And they way the recruitment team are going I fully expect them to kill it next year with all of our draft picks and a war chest to entice a Ben King or whoever we need.
Like the idiots in the media say whatever they want but I'm happy they picked up the older players as fill ins because draftees will not cut it when you are pushing for a flag.

Thats the thing. Compare this to Geelong, They have 9 Over 30's and most of them are in their best 22. The cliff is coming for them.

Hey Sainters!

I head up production for Dylan Buckley's Dyl and Friends poddy/voddy, and though some of you might be keen to catch Paddy McCartin's chat on this week's episode.

He touches on his own battles with concussion in football, his comeback and his endeavours outside of the game in the field of concussion.

Enjoy!

Back