News 2021 St.Kilda Media Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Latest Weekly Sainters! Enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

At this time of year when approaching the draft the question of 'tanking' comes to mind. Looking at the fact that we were out of the finals etc where could we have ended up if we'd considered the 'Tank'. Would that now afford us exactly what we might wish for?

Personally I detest the idea of even contemplating such a course of inaction. However, right here and now for arguments sake, it might be the difference of settling for a GOATER as opposed to a GIBCUS or even a WARD.

The reality IMO, is that the Draft Position is to a degree, an arbitrary value...so the 'Tank' may do you the ultimate disservice in the long run . The value of winning games at the end of the season can be huge for the spirit of the team going into the following year! What is people's take on such a consideration?

...I wonder if there is a strong tide of opinion regarding that issue one way or another?

As Dennis Pagan said..You cannot buy confidence at the Milk Bar.
It is hard enough to win games when you are trying...that way when you lose you discover and reflect where you could have gone harder..store it for next time.
If you are not trying how do you know where your limit is..still have to find that out.
Creates the wrong g culture and mindset so that everytime you cross the line you five it 100 percent.

On SM-G977B using BigFooty.com mobile app

As Dennis Pagan said..You cannot buy confidence at the Milk Bar.
It is hard enough to win games when you are trying...that way when you lose you discover and reflect where you could have gone harder..store it for next time.
If you are not trying how do you know where your limit is..still have to find that out.
Creates the wrong g culture and mindset so that everytime you cross the line you five it 100 percent.

On SM-G977B using BigFooty.com mobile app
Yeah, our first half of this season should be a reminder....don't f*** with form.

At this time of year when approaching the draft the question of 'tanking' comes to mind. Looking at the fact that we were out of the finals etc where could we have ended up if we'd considered the 'Tank'. Would that now afford us exactly what we might wish for?

Personally I detest the idea of even contemplating such a course of inaction. However, right here and now for arguments sake, it might be the difference of settling for a GOATER as opposed to a GIBCUS or even a WARD.

The reality IMO, is that the Draft Position is to a degree, an arbitrary value...so the 'Tank' may do you the ultimate disservice in the long run . The value of winning games at the end of the season can be huge for the spirit of the team going into the following year! What is people's take on such a consideration?

...I wonder if there is a strong tide of opinion regarding that issue one way or another?
Free agency has effed the whole thing.
There was a sort of equilibrium within the cycle of clubs rising and falling roughly every 10-12 years but Free Agency has enabled clubs to artificially shorten their growth curve, or extend their window beyond that which is set via drafting/trading whilst struggling clubs like the Suns can lose a generation of their top players and be forced to start again.

The draft positions IMHO need to be derived from a formula more sophisticated than ladder position. Something that incorporates multiple years and anomalies like say the premature retirement of Paddy, Hugh and Koby all around the same time.

The justification for FA was and is horse s**t, and the AFL are only interested in income now days and have forgotten that they are "the custodians of the game" which is a phrase that's all but disappeared from their vernacular whilst they whore our game to sports betting agencies, pay per view channels and Maccas.

I f****** hate Gil.

You sound like SCMO "I detect protest violence, but .........."

On SM-T290 using BigFooty.com mobile app

You sound like SCMO "I detect protest violence, but .........."

On SM-T290 using BigFooty.com mobile app
Oh No! Oh No! Oh No no no no No! Sounds that bad? ...Does it really? I was merely trying to pose the question without appearing too strongly either way so as to encourage further discourse.

I remember STAVROS and maybe MOORABBIN GHOST were advocating the TANK around the the time of the last few games this last season...I have never been a fan; I was wondering if there really was anyone out there other than those two, that had the opinion, that the old chestnut of Tanking was an acceptable strategy. Right now before the draft dropped was the most likely time to get the opinions of the passionate.

I believe that the question I put was far from the spineless verbal diarrhoea Sco mo dribbles forth. But maybe! That's what I deserve when I try and tip toe rather than just slash and burn. I appreciate the warning! I am mortified!

Last edited:
Oh No! Oh No! Oh No no no no No! Sounds that bad? ...Does it really? I was merely trying to pose the question without appearing too strongly either way so as to encourage further discourse.

I remember STAVROS and maybe MOORABBIN GHOST were advocating the TANK around the the time of the last few games this last season...I have never been a fan; I was wondering if there really was anyone out there other than those two, that had the opinion, that the old chestnut of Tanking was an acceptable strategy. Right now before the draft dropped was the most likely time to get the opinions of the passionate.

I believe that the question I put was far from the spineless verbal diarrhoea Sco mo dribbles forth. But maybe! That's what I deserve when I try and tip toe rather than just slash and burn. I appreciate the warning! I am mortified!

I think the tank movement last season was because 9th to 14th were so close and a single loss might have gained us 3-4 places in the draft. In the end the Scum and Hawks stank so bad that it wasn't an issue, but the win over Freo round 23 cost us 1-2 spots.
Bytel and the Goat had excellent games that day and the boys finished with their tails up so it was worth the win for sure.

Tanking creates a losing culture and a losing culture is hard to beat. If we're not going out there with the intention to win games, doesn't matter if its pre-season, in season or finals, that's when the team has fully lost its way.

The justification was and is that the AFLPA threatened to gear up for a legal challenge to the AFL contracts, which they'll almost certainly win. It's prima facie restraint of trade (as I understand it). So the AFL didn't really have a choice.
Actually they did have a choice. Strip the winning club of the appropriate draft picks to hobble them for the privilege of gaining a FA. Defend the integrity of the competition against those who already earn the most but want more. Fight the good fight.

I don't particularly see the point of free agency. If you're out of contract, you can go to your club of choosing anyway. Without FA clubs like Richmond would have to pay up a decent amount to get Tom Lynch, because they can't just walk him to the pre-season draft. FA helps with power clubs stay powerful. End of story.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The justification was and is that the AFLPA threatened to gear up for a legal challenge to the AFL contracts, which they'll almost certainly win. It's prima facie restraint of trade (as I understand it). So the AFL didn't really have a choice.

Garbage.
We are the AFL.
This is our contest.
If you want to play in our contest, you need to enter it by this method.

2021 Financial Results have been released.
Highlights:
Reduced debt by $4.3mill to $9.6mill,
Plan to continue to reduce debt in 2022 by another significant amount,
Have a “line of sight” to be debt free in the near future,
Reduced reliance on AFL funding by $1.1mill,
Made up for in the development of alternative revenues,
Raised a record $8.4mill in Sponsorship,
Moorabbin Redevelopment cost now at $50mill.
And an increase in Operating Profit to $3.5mill from $1.2mill.

Bassat and Finnis rock.

2021 Financial Results have been released.
Highlights:
Reduced debt by $4.3mill to $9.6mill,
Plan to continue to reduce debt in 2022 by another significant amount,
Have a “line of sight” to be debt free in the near future,
Reduced reliance on AFL funding by $1.1mill,
Made up for in the development of alternative revenues,
Raised a record $8.4mill in Sponsorship,
Moorabbin Redevelopment cost now at $50mill.
And an increase in Operating Profit to $3.5mill from $1.2mill.
sunny3193.......they are very very impressive set of numbers on any type of measure.

I was expecting some good numbers but not as good as that.

The record sponsorship number caught my eye.........I was wondering how we'd go there as every sponsorship slot was filled this year.

A couple of thoughts flashed thru my mind when reading your post.

1-Imagine the numbers going foward if the club has several years of on field success.

2-GT would have choked on his dinner when reading the clubs press release.

Not big on tanking at all...momentum is far more valuable. However I think if a season is shot and finals are no chance then it makes sense to rest up the older guys and put those with niggles on ice, or conservative game time management. In circumstances like these, play the goddamn kids as much as possible. They have the drive to impress, where as team regulars may be a little less driven. It's not tanking, when it's developing.

sunny3193.......they are very very impressive set of numbers on any type of measure.

I was expecting some good numbers but not as good as that.

The record sponsorship number caught my eye.........I was wondering how we'd go there as every sponsorship slot was filled this year.

A couple of thoughts flashed thru my mind when reading your post.

1-Imagine the numbers going foward if the club has several years of on field success.

2-GT would have choked on his dinner when reading the clubs press release.
GT would have been smug about this result,. He would be saying see the Saints are not concentrating on footy on the field only off the field.

GT would have been smug about this result,. He would be saying see the Saints are not concentrating on footy on the field only off the field.
Absolutely there sammm......I'm half expecting GT to appear in the media barking:

"Not good enough.........the place needs a shake up.........all the numbers should have been much higher"

LOL.

“I begin by declaring I’ve never seen Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera or Josh Sinn play a game of football.”

My god…

Also, doesn’t this whole interstate thing apply to Sinn going to Adelaide as well?

It was heavily alluded to that PA would’ve taken NVM had he been available, so they clearly ranked him higher as well.

Rubbish AFL media filler talk, as per usual

Last edited:

“I begin by declaring I’ve never seen Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera or Josh Sinn play a game of football.”

My god…
That discredits everything he just said. What a complete garbage can.

It doesn't matter where someone is from/playing their junior footy, we clearly rated Nasiah higher then Sinn, which is why we took him. We took best available. Not much more to it then that. Always something to complain about, eh Healy?

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back