News 2021 St.Kilda Media Thread

Oct 2, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda
AFL 2021: Mick Malthouse previews St Kilda’s season
Mick Malthouse says it’s time St Kilda stop dwelling on its near-misses of the past if the club wants to end its 55-year premiership drought. Here’s his Saints blueprint.

St Kilda has been a hard luck story since 1966 when it won its first and only flag.
Victorian teams have won 13 of the last 21 AFL premierships.

Since 2000 St Kilda has been in the finals eight times without a flag, compared to Geelong with 16 finals’ campaigns and three premierships, Hawthorn 12 finals series and four flags, Richmond eight and three cups, and Collingwood 13 and one premiership.

Of the Victorian teams only Carlton and Melbourne have fared worse.

If not for Paul Chapman’s snap over the shoulder goal in 2009, and an askew bounce for Stephen Milne in 2010, perhaps the Saints would have been back-to-back premiers, but their “bad luck” was “good luck” for the Cats and the Pies.

In the past two decades St Kilda has had seven coaches.

It’s been captained by the likes of one of the game’s all-time greats in Nick Riewoldt, and had inspirational leaders in Robert Harvey, Lenny Hayes, Luke Ball and Aaron Hamill. Plus Coleman medallist Fraser Gehrig, All-Australian forward pocket goal sneak Milne, Brendon Goddard, Sam Fisher, Leigh Montagna, Nick Dal Santo and the playing list goes on.

But just like Carlton where the excuses have run out, this is a make-or-break year for the Saints.

Brett Ratten is a no-excuse type person, so there is no fear he is dwelling on bad luck syndrome.

The Saints need to acknowledge last year when they were beaten by the Tigers in the semi-final and get better.

Melbourne was wonderful in 2018, finishing fourth before West Coast stopped the Demons in their tracks in a preliminary final.

The Demons didn’t make the finals in the next season, finishing 17th.

St Kilda of old has had a tendency to look back, but this is a chance to look forward, at what it can achieve if it builds on last season’s result instead of dwelling on it.

The Saints will start the year with many players missing from their “best” side.

What appeared to be a wonderful ruck duo has dissolved before Ratten’s eyes.

When Rowan Marshall and Paddy Ryder are fit they present as good a ruck combination as there is.

Jarryn Geary has undergone surgery again after a training injury.

Max King will miss Round 1 with concussion after being hit on the head with a golf ball. When does the bad luck end and common sense take over?

Since when do you play practice matches at fullbore where a Ben Paton broken leg is the result of a tackle by an assistant coach?

St Kilda has to take more responsibility on and off the ground.

It’s made some interesting trades in the last couple of seasons … interesting because not a lot have passed the test.

Dan Butler has been good but patchy.

Bradley Hill went missing when the heat was applied last year.

Dougal Howard has been fine. Zak Jones injured.

Paddy Ryder OK.

Dan Hannebery came with injuries from Sydney, got injured again, and still has injury issues.

If the Saints can pull it together Ratten will have a wonderful team at his disposal.

The early indication is that they will be an attacking side, but with the addition of multiple-

possession getter Brad Crouch, who struggled to defend in Adelaide, the midfield could still have problems being accountable through the corridor.

Jack Steele is the only player in the middle who seems to know that he has an opponent.

But I do love the way Ben Long and Hunter Clark go about their work in the backline.

Jade Gresham, Butler and Jack Billings could cause all sorts of trouble through the midfield and forward line.

This is the year that Seb Ross could stamp his authority on the game.

And King, just 20, has the potential to do some serious damage in the forward 50 … if he stays off the golf course.

It is also a year that could define Jake Carlisle, who is capable of so many things.

I feel St Kilda will do very well against the minor sides, but the true test will be against the more credentialed teams.

The new rules may allow for more run and carry and to a degree more speed, which will suit the Saints on a downhill snowfield.

But you can’t and won’t get away with one-way traffic against the big four.

Ratten as a former midfielder and, as a coach for seven and a bit of years, understands this perfectly well.

His job is to get the team’s balance right and the Saints will be fine.

May 23, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
It’s made some interesting trades in the last couple of seasons … interesting because not a lot have passed the test.

WTF is he even talking about?! This is what I hate about AFL journalism, you can just throw out whatever $h1t you like clearly he had no clue

butler did have falls in form admittedly. Hill was below expectations and Jones was injured. I’ll give him that.

but Dougal fine and paddy ok? Oof. Both had fantastic seasons. Paddy just about best on in our finals win.

sebs Won two b&f if he hasn’t stamped his authority on the game I doubt it’s ahead of him

our recruits seem to get all the media. What about hunter, coff, long, Wilkie and Paton leading our backline despite about 100 games between them.

what about Marshall being a revelation in the ruck and up forward.

anyway we’ll know who’s right in the next 6 weeks or so hey.

edit. My formatting is s**t house typing on an iPhone I have no idea why. But it refuses to capitalise every new paragraph and is worse than moving a table around in Microsoft word to fix up. Apologies

Mar 2, 2020
AFL Club
St Kilda
butler did have falls in form admittedly. Hill was below expectations and Jones was injured. I’ll give him that.

but Dougal fine and paddy ok? Oof. Both had fantastic seasons. Paddy just about best on in our finals win.

sebs Won two b&f if he hasn’t stamped his authority on the game I doubt it’s ahead of him

our recruits seem to get all the media. What about hunter, coff, long, Wilkie and Paton leading our backline despite about 100 games between them.

what about Marshall being a revelation in the ruck and up forward.

anyway we’ll know who’s right in the next 6 weeks or so hey.

edit. My formatting is sh*t house typing on an iPhone I have no idea why. But it refuses to capitalise every new paragraph and is worse than moving a table around in Microsoft word to fix up. Apologies

I hear what you saying but for what we paid for butler and considering he was close to AA we have done well in the trade department.

also looking at what’s left the club they haven’t exactly set the world on fire we are a much better team for it

Its a branding issue we have had 10 years at the bottom and it will take another year for people to take notice

WTF is he even talking about?! This is what I hate about AFL journalism, you can just throw out whatever $h1t you like clearly he had no clue

We have Hanners who can't get fit, we had Austin i suppose, and Kent, who remains decent depth for what we paid for him.

Their narrative about all the coaches is wearing a bit thin as well.
They loved it in 2008 when they could say we had 5 coaches in a decade.
At the moment we are on 3 in the last decade , which is probably not unusual, and if all goes well, we'll be on 2 from 2013-2023.

AFL 2021: Mick Malthouse previews St Kilda’s season
Mick Malthouse says it’s time St Kilda stop dwelling on its near-misses of the past if the club wants to end its 55-year premiership drought. Here’s his Saints blueprint.

St Kilda has been a hard luck story since 1966 when it won its first and only flag.
Victorian teams have won 13 of the last 21 AFL premierships.

Since 2000 St Kilda has been in the finals eight times without a flag, compared to Geelong with 16 finals’ campaigns and three premierships, Hawthorn 12 finals series and four flags, Richmond eight and three cups, and Collingwood 13 and one premiership.

Of the Victorian teams only Carlton and Melbourne have fared worse.

If not for Paul Chapman’s snap over the shoulder goal in 2009, and an askew bounce for Stephen Milne in 2010, perhaps the Saints would have been back-to-back premiers, but their “bad luck” was “good luck” for the Cats and the Pies.

In the past two decades St Kilda has had seven coaches.

It’s been captained by the likes of one of the game’s all-time greats in Nick Riewoldt, and had inspirational leaders in Robert Harvey, Lenny Hayes, Luke Ball and Aaron Hamill. Plus Coleman medallist Fraser Gehrig, All-Australian forward pocket goal sneak Milne, Brendon Goddard, Sam Fisher, Leigh Montagna, Nick Dal Santo and the playing list goes on.

But just like Carlton where the excuses have run out, this is a make-or-break year for the Saints.

Brett Ratten is a no-excuse type person, so there is no fear he is dwelling on bad luck syndrome.

The Saints need to acknowledge last year when they were beaten by the Tigers in the semi-final and get better.

Melbourne was wonderful in 2018, finishing fourth before West Coast stopped the Demons in their tracks in a preliminary final.

The Demons didn’t make the finals in the next season, finishing 17th.

St Kilda of old has had a tendency to look back, but this is a chance to look forward, at what it can achieve if it builds on last season’s result instead of dwelling on it.

The Saints will start the year with many players missing from their “best” side.

What appeared to be a wonderful ruck duo has dissolved before Ratten’s eyes.

When Rowan Marshall and Paddy Ryder are fit they present as good a ruck combination as there is.

Jarryn Geary has undergone surgery again after a training injury.

Max King will miss Round 1 with concussion after being hit on the head with a golf ball. When does the bad luck end and common sense take over?

Since when do you play practice matches at fullbore where a Ben Paton broken leg is the result of a tackle by an assistant coach?

St Kilda has to take more responsibility on and off the ground.

Dan Butler has been good but patchy.

Bradley Hill went missing when the heat was applied last year.

Dougal Howard has been fine. Zak Jones injured.

Paddy Ryder OK.

Dan Hannebery came with injuries from Sydney, got injured again, and still has injury issues.

If the Saints can pull it together Ratten will have a wonderful team at his disposal.

The early indication is that they will be an attacking side, but with the addition of multiple-

possession getter Brad Crouch, who struggled to defend in Adelaide, the midfield could still have problems being accountable through the corridor.

Jack Steele is the only player in the middle who seems to know that he has an opponent.

But I do love the way Ben Long and Hunter Clark go about their work in the backline.

Jade Gresham, Butler and Jack Billings could cause all sorts of trouble through the midfield and forward line.

This is the year that Seb Ross could stamp his authority on the game.

And King, just 20, has the potential to do some serious damage in the forward 50 … if he stays off the golf course.

It is also a year that could define Jake Carlisle, who is capable of so many things.

I feel St Kilda will do very well against the minor sides, but the true test will be against the more credentialed teams.

The new rules may allow for more run and carry and to a degree more speed, which will suit the Saints on a downhill snowfield.

But you can’t and won’t get away with one-way traffic against the big four.

Ratten as a former midfielder and, as a coach for seven and a bit of years, understands this perfectly well.

His job is to get the team’s balance right and the Saints will be fine.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/.../news- story/68a72189c19c410d55d949a9bef1ec00

Paddy Ryder..... “OK”?
I never use this term, but Lol!

Max King was bad sense and not bad luck???
I'll let malthouse be the one to tell AFL players they aren't allowed to play golf.
Of course being hit on another fairway by an errant ball ( wonder if he shanked his kicks like that, might explain why he got delisted ) is nothing to do with luck, it happens to all golfers all the time.

If he'd tried to tell BJ not to back in the day he'd have been stared to death.
If it had happened to Malthouse back in the day he'd have been out playing a couple of hours later.

Feb 21, 2004
AFL Club
St Kilda
Max King was bad sense and not bad luck???
I'll let malthouse be the one to tell AFL players they aren't allowed to play golf.
Of course being hit on another fairway by an errant ball ( wonder if he shanked his kicks like that, might explain why he got delisted ) is nothing to do with luck, it happens to all golfers all the time.

If he'd tried to tell BJ not to back in the day he'd have been stared to death.
If it had happened to Malthouse back in the day he'd have been out playing a couple of hours later.

Do we know who shanked the ball that hit him?

Wow, Membrey’s star is rising as the media finally start to wake up and realise what we’ve known all along - he’ll be on AFL360 tomorrow night.

May 10, 2013
Queensland
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Melbourne Storm, Baghdadian Babes
Why would you read anything about AFL in the media, if they themselves have no idea?
Who in the hell is Andrew Slevison

St Kilda v Melbourne
Saturday - Marvel Stadium

The Saints were as gritty as it gets against the Giants last week.

At one point late in the final term St Kilda looked gone but resurrected themselves to claim a courageous win in the wet on the road with a number of key players missing.

It was a superb start to the season for Alan Richardson’s men who will have Max King and Zak Jones back in the side to take on the Demons on Saturday night.

Simon Goodwin’s side did enough against an undermanned Fremantle to secure four points, but it came at a cost with James Harmes set to miss up to six weeks with a broken wrist. Former skipper Jack Viney could ease some of that pain by replacing Harmes.

The Saints owe the Dees for last year’s controversial defeat in Alice Springs and back under lights on their home deck at Marvel Stadium should be able to exact revenge.

St Kilda plays an irresistible brand under the roof and should prove too quick for the Demons who pride themselves more on winning the contested ball.

If the Saints can get things on their terms by shifting the ball around swiftly and providing their dangerous forwards with ample scoring opportunities, then they should see it through.

But not without a fight from the Demons who have plenty to prove against last year’s Semi-Finalists.

Tip: St Kilda by 17 points

Andrew Slevison ***

Tyrian Lonestar

All Australian
Dec 8, 2020
AFL Club
St Kilda
Why would you read anything about AFL in the media, if they themselves have no idea?
Who in the hell is Andrew Slevison

St Kilda v Melbourne
Saturday - Marvel Stadium

The Saints were as gritty as it gets against the Giants last week.

At one point late in the final term St Kilda looked gone but resurrected themselves to claim a courageous win in the wet on the road with a number of key players missing.

It was a superb start to the season for Alan Richardson’s men who will have Max King and Zak Jones back in the side to take on the Demons on Saturday night.

Simon Goodwin’s side did enough against an undermanned Fremantle to secure four points, but it came at a cost with James Harmes set to miss up to six weeks with a broken wrist. Former skipper Jack Viney could ease some of that pain by replacing Harmes.

The Saints owe the Dees for last year’s controversial defeat in Alice Springs and back under lights on their home deck at Marvel Stadium should be able to exact revenge.

St Kilda plays an irresistible brand under the roof and should prove too quick for the Demons who pride themselves more on winning the contested ball.

If the Saints can get things on their terms by shifting the ball around swiftly and providing their dangerous forwards with ample scoring opportunities, then they should see it through.

But not without a fight from the Demons who have plenty to prove against last year’s Semi-Finalists.

Tip: St Kilda by 17 points

Andrew Slevison ***
Andrew Slevison almost 2 years behind it seems. Lols

Aug 15, 2009
Dubai, UAE
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
North Sydney Bears Rugby League
That interview with Jack Steele was all about Healy talking all the time. Me, me, me! Jack was having trouble getting a word in. Is Healy losing it? Bizarre.

LiterallyNobody

Cancelled due to poster being a Campaigner
30k Posts 10k Posts Cake Connoisseur SFA Daffodil Day Fund Raiser Harry Potter Fan Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds Shiny Penny
Jul 26, 2006
AFL Club
St Kilda
Aug 28, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Coventry City
f76f06b778e5069994d5549e58111d82.jpg

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Back