News 2021 St.Kilda Media Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

rumours were his knee is really really bad. career threatening type of bad.

Adam Cooney said it was similar to his knee and had some pretty good insights into what it could mean for the rest of his career. Didn’t sound overly positive.

Adam Cooney said it was similar to his knee and had some pretty good insights into what it could mean for the rest of his career. Didn’t sound overly positive.
Dr. Peter Larkins talked about it on SEN a couple of weeks ago. He wasn’t very optimistic about it at all, basically sounds like he’s not going to be able to handle much training load.

Dr. Peter Larkins talked about it on SEN a couple of weeks ago. He wasn’t very optimistic about it at all, basically sounds like he’s not going to be able to handle much training load.
Luke Penny bad?

The last two paragraphs though...

"The smooth-moving Hunter Clark is set to be rewarded for his breakout 2020 season with more midfield time next season, according to Ratten.

Clark has become one of the main distributors by foot for the Saints coming off half-back and Ratten believes the natural progression is for him to spend more time further up the ground."

Yes please.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The final selection of the first round came down to St Kilda, another club who had Laurie in their sights. The Saints had worked on ways to manoeuvre their way up the board, including packaging some late picks in a deal with Port Adelaide to secure the Power's second-round pick, and then combine that and their own first-round pick to edge up. But a delayed bid for Jones meant Port didn't need to push that line and search for extra points.

The Saints also liked Cook and Bowey but with an even group were going to side with the tall in Allison. North, who had just missed on Cook, picked up the phone to try and get into St Kilda's pick to get the Calder Cannons goalkicker, but were pipped again as the Saints called his name to complete the marathon first round.

In a season the AFL will never forget, Brett Ratten reflects on his first full year as St Kilda coach. He speaks about how close they got to the Tigers, his promise not to over coach and what Saints fans should expect from their team in 2021.
Chasing the Tigers
Of the four finals that Richmond played en route to their third premiership in four seasons, their win over St Kilda in the semi-final is perhaps the most forgettable.
A narrow loss to Brisbane saw the Tigers forced to utilise a double chance, they won a nail-biting preliminary final against Port by a kick and they came from 15 points down to win the grand final against Geelong. But don't tell that to Brett Ratten.
[PLAYERCARD]Brett Ratten[/PLAYERCARD] doesn't want to quash the instincts and flair of his players.

Brett Ratten doesn't want to quash the instincts and flair of his players. CREDIT:ALBERT PEREZ
Advertisement

"With 10:52 on the clock in the Richmond game, we've had more shots on goal than them. We're +6 in contested ball, we're +8 in mark of opposition boot, there were things and aspects; we weren't as polished as them, they were more dynamic around the ball, they were a bit cleaner and classier. But we had a chance," Ratten said.
"We weren't good enough, they were too good, they should've won and they did win and they won the flag, but I think it gives our boys a bit of belief. We're not that far off the best."
Barwon Heads
The Saints' journey to their first finals win in a decade started before Christmas in 2019, when the players gathered for a pre-season retreat in Barwon Heads.
The list had just undergone a major reshape in the space of one trade period, adding the likes of Zak Jones, Dougal Howard, Dan Butler and Paddy Ryder. And it was those players who were asked to tell their new teammates how opposition clubs and players viewed the Saints.

St Kilda fell to Richmond in the second semi-final.

St Kilda fell to Richmond in the second semi-final. CREDIT:MICHAEL WILSON
"We'll keep that to ourselves," Ratten said with a smirk, "but we got some home truths, there's no doubt about it."
The responses forced the group to ask themselves several questions.
"Who are we? What's our identity? What's our brand?" Ratten said.
"I think that was a big step for our team to accept some of the responsibility, work out what we could do about it and how we could shape the team moving forward.

"When you look back, it was a defining moment for us to take a step forward. We didn't achieve anything but we had a greater purpose. That was significant for us going into 2020."
Embrace the pace
Ratten has pledged to allow his team to "go out and play" and not to weigh them down with tactics and structures. The Saints have suddenly become a very quick team and Ratten wants his players to embrace their inner flair and creativity.
Man with a plan: [PLAYERCARD]Brett Ratten[/PLAYERCARD].

Man with a plan: Brett Ratten.CREDIT:JONO SEARLE
"I think you play to your strengths," he said. "When you recruit [Brad] Hill, Jones and Butler, you're going to become a bit quicker, we have to. We have to play with some freedom and flair.

"I think we can beat our players' instincts because we want to be so structured and we get kids in who have got this flair and talent but it's, 'make sure you stand here and … take four steps to the left'. We actually take away their instinct and what they do.
"There are rules and there is structure in our team … but I think sometimes we can over coach that and then we just beat the instinctive play out of the players. Maybe it's a bit of my personality … I want them to play and show what they can do."
But the coach did indicate there might be some subtle changes to the game plan that saw them win a final over the Western Bulldogs.
"You will see a different type of St Kilda, there will be a slight tinker."
RELATED ARTICLE
Jmaes Frawley will come out of retirement to play for the Saints.
Trading and drafting
James Frawley to join the Saints, premiership Tiger on move

Can you tell us any more?
"Um … no. No, I can't," he said.
Great expectations
It's been a long time since St Kilda played in successive finals series. They played in 11 finals over the course of four seasons, when the run came to an end with a losing elimination final to Sydney in 2011. Jarryn Geary is the only one still on the list that played in that game.
So what do the Saints internally see as a pass mark next year, given the additions of Brad Crouch, James Frawley, Jack Higgins and Shaun McKernan?

"We want to play finals again, that's every year," Ratten said.
"We have to be pushing to play finals, I've never seen a team win a flag from outside the eight.
"To make a grand final is bloody hard to do, but you've got to put yourself in that space and just keep turning up. I look back at the Hawks in 2008, they didn't think they were going to win the flag. But things just happen because they keep putting themselves in a good space."
In the 2020 pre-season, Ratten published a note to the entire club on a staff whiteboard situated in a high traffic area where everyone could see it.
[PLAYERCARD]Brett Ratten[/PLAYERCARD]'s message to players during pre-season this year.

Brett Ratten's message to players during pre-season this year.

"2020 will create great opportunities for the St Kilda Football Club to take major steps forward and you will play a part. Be ready," it read.
Ratten, who had only just been appointed senior coach on a full-time basis, after acting as stand-in for Alan Richardson, knew it was a pivotal year for the club.
Making the finals and winning one has been viewed as an obvious success, so what would the message read for next year?
"It might still say opportunity, but there just might be other words around it. The opportunity to back up our performance, the opportunity to grow and keep growing," Ratten said.
The opportunity to win a flag?

"I wouldn't say … let's just play finals first," he said.
Pressure at the top
Ratten has been around coaching long enough to know the pressure that comes with the main job. Many believe his contract was unfairly terminated at Carlton a year after the Blues missed out on the top four by half a game and fell painfully short of a preliminary final.
But his sacking at Princes Park led him to Waverley, where he was part of the famous three-peat.
"When I went to Hawthorn, I said to Clarko [coach Alastair Clarkson], 'Jeez you're very lucky, Al.'

RELATED ARTICLE
New Saint [PLAYERCARD]Brad Crouch[/PLAYERCARD].
AFL 2021
Saint Crouch making early impression at new club
"I had just come from the Blues and looking at the people around him — David Rath, Graham Wright, Mark Evans, Chris Fagan, Andrew Russell - I told him how lucky he was to have these quality people as these pillars around him. He agreed."
Since arriving at St Kilda, Ratten has attempted to solidify the pillars of support around him.
"That's what we're trying to set up here, these people of influence. It's not 'me', it's 'us' and what we can do for the players," he said. "That's the power of the coaching group and the footy department, not just the senior coach."
Despite the support, Ratten says he still rides the roller coaster.

"You still take on the losses by yourself," he laughed.

Save
License this article
Sam McClure

Sam McClure
Sam McClure is a sport reporter for The Age and winner of 'best news reporter' at the AFL Media Association awards.

Yeah just read it. Confirms what we already knew about the people Ratts has brought in.

Not sure that the swipe at Carlton was intentional or not, telling Clarko that he was lucky to have such good people around him at the Hawks when he came across.
Shows what he learnt after being sacked from Carlton and being part of the Hawks threepeat.

'You'll see a different type of St Kilda': Ratten's plan takes shape
Sam McClure
By Sam McClure
December 19, 2020 — 11.15pm
Save
Normal text sizeLarger text sizeVery large text size
In a season the AFL will never forget, Brett Ratten reflects on his first full year as St Kilda coach. He speaks about how close they got to the Tigers, his promise not to over coach and what Saints fans should expect from their team in 2021.
Chasing the Tigers
Of the four finals that Richmond played en route to their third premiership in four seasons, their win over St Kilda in the semi-final is perhaps the most forgettable.
A narrow loss to Brisbane saw the Tigers forced to utilise a double chance, they won a nail-biting preliminary final against Port by a kick and they came from 15 points down to win the grand final against Geelong. But don't tell that to Brett Ratten.
[PLAYERCARD]Brett Ratten[/PLAYERCARD] doesn't want to quash the instincts and flair of his players.

Brett Ratten doesn't want to quash the instincts and flair of his players. CREDIT:ALBERT PEREZ
Advertisement

"With 10:52 on the clock in the Richmond game, we've had more shots on goal than them. We're +6 in contested ball, we're +8 in mark of opposition boot, there were things and aspects; we weren't as polished as them, they were more dynamic around the ball, they were a bit cleaner and classier. But we had a chance," Ratten said.
"We weren't good enough, they were too good, they should've won and they did win and they won the flag, but I think it gives our boys a bit of belief. We're not that far off the best."
Barwon Heads
The Saints' journey to their first finals win in a decade started before Christmas in 2019, when the players gathered for a pre-season retreat in Barwon Heads.
The list had just undergone a major reshape in the space of one trade period, adding the likes of Zak Jones, Dougal Howard, Dan Butler and Paddy Ryder. And it was those players who were asked to tell their new teammates how opposition clubs and players viewed the Saints.
Advertisement

St Kilda fell to Richmond in the second semi-final.

St Kilda fell to Richmond in the second semi-final. CREDIT:MICHAEL WILSON
"We'll keep that to ourselves," Ratten said with a smirk, "but we got some home truths, there's no doubt about it."
The responses forced the group to ask themselves several questions.
"Who are we? What's our identity? What's our brand?" Ratten said.
"I think that was a big step for our team to accept some of the responsibility, work out what we could do about it and how we could shape the team moving forward.
Advertisement

"When you look back, it was a defining moment for us to take a step forward. We didn't achieve anything but we had a greater purpose. That was significant for us going into 2020."
Embrace the pace
Ratten has pledged to allow his team to "go out and play" and not to weigh them down with tactics and structures. The Saints have suddenly become a very quick team and Ratten wants his players to embrace their inner flair and creativity.
Man with a plan: [PLAYERCARD]Brett Ratten[/PLAYERCARD].

Man with a plan: Brett Ratten.CREDIT:JONO SEARLE
"I think you play to your strengths," he said. "When you recruit [Brad] Hill, Jones and Butler, you're going to become a bit quicker, we have to. We have to play with some freedom and flair.
Advertisement

"I think we can beat our players' instincts because we want to be so structured and we get kids in who have got this flair and talent but it's, 'make sure you stand here and … take four steps to the left'. We actually take away their instinct and what they do.
"There are rules and there is structure in our team … but I think sometimes we can over coach that and then we just beat the instinctive play out of the players. Maybe it's a bit of my personality … I want them to play and show what they can do."But the coach did indicate there might be some subtle changes to the game plan that saw them win a final over the Western Bulldogs."You will see a different type of St Kilda, there will be a slight tinker."
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...remiership-tiger-on-move-20201126-p56i60.html

Can you tell us any more?
"Um … no. No, I can't," he said.
Great expectations
It's been a long time since St Kilda played in successive finals series. They played in 11 finals over the course of four seasons, when the run came to an end with a losing elimination final to Sydney in 2011. Jarryn Geary is the only one still on the list that played in that game.
So what do the Saints internally see as a pass mark next year, given the additions of Brad Crouch, James Frawley, Jack Higgins and Shaun McKernan?
Advertisement

"We want to play finals again, that's every year," Ratten said.
"We have to be pushing to play finals, I've never seen a team win a flag from outside the eight.
"To make a grand final is bloody hard to do, but you've got to put yourself in that space and just keep turning up. I look back at the Hawks in 2008, they didn't think they were going to win the flag. But things just happen because they keep putting themselves in a good space."
In the 2020 pre-season, Ratten published a note to the entire club on a staff whiteboard situated in a high traffic area where everyone could see it.
[PLAYERCARD]Brett Ratten[/PLAYERCARD]'s message to players during pre-season this year.

Brett Ratten's message to players during pre-season this year.
Advertisement

"2020 will create great opportunities for the St Kilda Football Club to take major steps forward and you will play a part. Be ready," it read.
Ratten, who had only just been appointed senior coach on a full-time basis, after acting as stand-in for Alan Richardson, knew it was a pivotal year for the club.
Making the finals and winning one has been viewed as an obvious success, so what would the message read for next year?
"It might still say opportunity, but there just might be other words around it. The opportunity to back up our performance, the opportunity to grow and keep growing," Ratten said.
The opportunity to win a flag?
Advertisement

"I wouldn't say … let's just play finals first," he said.
Pressure at the top
Ratten has been around coaching long enough to know the pressure that comes with the main job. Many believe his contract was unfairly terminated at Carlton a year after the Blues missed out on the top four by half a game and fell painfully short of a preliminary final.
But his sacking at Princes Park led him to Waverley, where he was part of the famous three-peat."When I went to Hawthorn, I said to Clarko [coach Alastair Clarkson], 'Jeez you're very lucky, Al.'Advertisement

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...y-impression-at-new-club-20201216-p56o10.html
"I had just come from the Blues and looking at the people around him — David Rath, Graham Wright, Mark Evans, Chris Fagan, Andrew Russell - I told him how lucky he was to have these quality people as these pillars around him. He agreed."
Since arriving at St Kilda, Ratten has attempted to solidify the pillars of support around him.
"That's what we're trying to set up here, these people of influence. It's not 'me', it's 'us' and what we can do for the players," he said. "That's the power of the coaching group and the footy department, not just the senior coach."
Despite the support, Ratten says he still rides the roller coaster.
Advertisement

"You still take on the losses by yourself," he laughed.

Is anyone a member of the mongrel punt that could share this article about dougs?

Thanks!

Is anyone a member of the mongrel punt that could share this article about dougs?

Thanks!
I don't have a membership, but for those of you playing at home, this is the intro content that's available to all users:

When St Kilda went on a recruiting spree following the 2019 season, there were several scenarios ready to play out.

The first one saw the team struggle as they adapted to the new arrivals and saw two of their experienced players (Jack Steven and Josh Bruce) head to other teams.

The second scenario saw the team start slowly and take time to find their feet, with players trialled in several roles before settling into position. The team would then rally late in the season and set themselves up for a solid 2021 year.

And the third saw the new arrivals click into place like they belonged there and the Saints benefitting immediately.

The third scenario seemed the most unlikely. Teams take time to build chemistry and develop cohesiveness between players on the field. 12 months into his North Melbourne tenure, his teammates were still compelling Jared Polec to run past and receive handballs despite being on his wrong side – things take time. However, the Saints were very close to achieving that third scenario and shocked many in AFL circles with how well they adjusted and performed over the course of the season.

Dan Butler burst out of the gates and, despite a season with reduced game time, managed to achieve career-high numbers in goals and tackles (both in total and inside 50). Butler was incredibly unlucky not to make the All-Australian team, particularly with midfielders once again taking flank and pocket positions away from those who plied their trade there all season) and emerged as the match-winner on several occasions.

Paddy Ryder did with the Saints that which he was unable to do with Port Adelaide. Teaming seamlessly with Rowan Marshall, Ryder showed up in excellent shape and provided an excellent one-two punch with the emerging big man. His hamstring betrayed him in the finals, but his influence on contests was undoubted.

Zak Jones hit the ground running and was the best-performed of the new Saints early in the year. His hard, burst running adding to the St Kilda midfield. When he was allowed room to move, the Saints looked brilliant.

Brad Hill was the one to let the recruiting team down. Struggling to find his feet as well as the football, Hill averaged a career-low 2.4 contested touches, seemingly waiting for his teammates to do the work for him. Yes, he is an outside midfielder, but he is still required to win an occasional one-on-one contest. I was not a fan at all of people blaming his teammates – he is not a first-year player who needs to rely on others to feed him the footy. He is a premiership player and the Saints should demand a lot more from him in 2021.

But I don’t want to get bogged down in what wasn’t great in 2020. There was plenty that was fantastic to focus on.

There is one more recruit that stood up in 2020 and made a statement. Dougal Howard moved from Port Adelaide alongside Paddy Ryder and proceeded to establish himself as St Kilda’s number one tall defender in the process.

And he is just getting started.

Allow me to regale you with a tale of two defenders.

This content is for paid members only. Want to read more?

We know what it's going to say, but

Which team looks to have copped it in the neck?
If you don’t like playing Richmond twice, then the draw is less than ideal for finalists St Kilda, Geelong and Brisbane who all cop a double dose of the Tigers, alongside GWS and Hawthorn. Actually St Kilda shapes as an early loser in the ratings lotto – the Saints having been scheduled off Broadway in terms of TV exposure for five of the six opening matches.

St Kilda plays the Tigers twice and also has double-ups against top-four sides Geelong and Port Adelaide. The Saints’ other return matches are against West Coast (fifth) and Sydney (16th). They do have a Thursday night clash against Richmond in Round 5. The Tigers will travel to Perth twice after the mid-season bye, for match-ups against West Coast (Round 14) and Fremantle (Round 20), but have 14 games at the MCG and two at Marvel Stadium. The Bulldogs have two games in Perth within four weeks — Rounds 12 and 15 — while Gold Coast and North also make two trips west.

ST KILDA

Play twice: West Coast, Richmond, Port Adelaide, Geelong, Sydney

Actually St Kilda shapes as an early loser in the ratings lotto – the Saints having been scheduled off Broadway in terms of TV exposure for five of the six opening matches.
We are on FTA 3/6 times though?

Anyone got the article talking about our massive financial loss this year?
St Kilda, Melbourne latest clubs to announce huge financial loss for 2020 because of COVID-19
Two more AFL clubs have recorded heavy losses during the COVID-hit 2020 season but the damage could have been worse.

Marc McGowan

St Kilda has announced an almost $1 million loss for the last financial year.

The net loss of $963,106 follows the devastating financial impact of COVID-19 and comes despite the Saints’ record-breaking membership of 48,775.

The club’s overall debt increased by about $1.7 million, in part because of the decision to defer the first instalment of 2021 membership subscriptions.

St Kilda chief executive Matt Finnis thanked the club’s members for their support.

“Thousands pledged their commitment (and) a significant number purchased memberships for those who could no longer afford it,” Finnis said.

“Others donated additional funds to ensure the club survived one of the biggest challenges in its 147-year history.”

St Kilda, Melbourne latest clubs to announce huge financial loss for 2020 because of COVID-19
Two more AFL clubs have recorded heavy losses during the COVID-hit 2020 season but the damage could have been worse.

Marc McGowan

St Kilda has announced an almost $1 million loss for the last financial year.

The net loss of $963,106 follows the devastating financial impact of COVID-19 and comes despite the Saints’ record-breaking membership of 48,775.

The club’s overall debt increased by about $1.7 million, in part because of the decision to defer the first instalment of 2021 membership subscriptions.

St Kilda chief executive Matt Finnis thanked the club’s members for their support.

“Thousands pledged their commitment (and) a significant number purchased memberships for those who could no longer afford it,” Finnis said.

“Others donated additional funds to ensure the club survived one of the biggest challenges in its 147-year history.”
I wouldn’t be too caught up in the headline here.
As always, football writers make great football writers (sometimes) but always lousy finance writers.
There’s only a few things to be aware of:

Revenue was down $10mill or 25%.
That would be expected.
Operating Profit was up $1.5mill (or 500%) to $1.2mill.
That wouldn’t.

The $1mill loss talked about here is essentially after deducting depreciation (interest and adding back some Moorabbin funding were less significant).
The Club earned $3.6mill from Jobkeeper etc as an FYI.

Plus the increase in debt is solely due to the deferral of first instalment of 2021 memberships worth $2.1mill into the 2021 financial year. In other words, meaningless.

In summary, to record a 25% decrease in revenue but a 500% increase in Operating Profit with no change to debt, in this lousy year, is a phenomenal effort.

I am seriously impressed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back