News 2021 St.Kilda Media Thread

I’ve got an old Aussie rules skills book that some visiting players gave me at a school training session. Mind you this was in Mt Isa in the very early seventies or even very late sixties and only two of us showed up for the session such was Aussie rules popularity in Mt Isa.
Anyhow I still have the book and my point is it taught you how to kick properly.
I might send it down to Ratts.

Jun 14, 2015
Oslo
AFL Club
St Kilda
I’ve got an old Aussie rules skills book that some visiting players gave me at a school training session. Mind you this was in Mt Isa in the very early seventies or even very late sixties and only two of us showed up for the session such was Aussie rules popularity in Mt Isa.
Anyhow I still have the book and my point is it taught you how to kick properly.
I might send it down to Ratts.
Not having a go at you mate, but I am sooo f**king sick of all these has been old players talking about how much better kicking was in their day. Brian Taylor is easily the worst. But every second commentator craps on about kicking in the modern game. Oh why do players kick around the body etc etc. If only we could get Matthew Lloyd or Ben Dixon to fix this issue (like they haven't tried for years already).

Has anyone actually watched a game from the 60s, 70s or 80s anytime recently? If not, seriously go and have a look. Most kicks miss their targets by 5 - 10 metres or are just hacks forward with no target in mind at all. The 2 or 3 players with good skills stand out like dogs balls because they CAN actually hit a target. In the modern game, the 2 or 3 players with poor skills stand out because everyone CANT hit a target. That is because the skills of the modern player are infinitely better then any of the overwhelming majority of people commenting on their poor execution.

As for the goalkicking, newsflash. You guys seriously sucked at it too. The answer, to "why cant they just kick a drop punt from 35 out straight in front" is "because that method NEVER actually worked and it is not that simple. Apart from a few freaks like Lockett and Hudson that get referenced constantly, pretty much nobody has been able to do it consistently. Ever!! Regardless of how good people think players were in the 70s, 80's or 90s." (when they also ran 1 or 2kms a game and not 10+).

Just as a random exercise, I looked at our scores from some random years across the first few rounds:

1971: Rd.1 (21.25). Rd 3 (6.13). Rd 5 (11.17)
1974: Rd.1 (11.17). Rd 3 (14.16). Rd 4 (8:13)
1980: Rd.1 (14.16). Rd 2 (11.17). Rd 5 (7:15)
1985: Rd.1 (8:18). Rd 2 (2.17). Rd 3 (14:14)
1988: Rd.1 (17:16). Rd 2 (7.13). Rd 5 (12:12)
1992: Rd.1 (18:20). Rd 2 (9:22). Rd 5 (17:26)
1997: Rd.1 (10.11). Rd 2 (7.15). Rd 6 (17:19)
2003: Rd.1 (10.10). Rd 3 (11.8). Rd 4 (11:15)
2008: Rd.1 (13:15). Rd 2 (7.8). Rd 4 (9:14)
2021: Rd.1 (13:8). Rd 2 (11.7). Rd 3 (9:14). Rd 4 (15:12)

This is not a problem which has suddenly appeared in the last few years with this batch of Saints. It is almost every player in almost every team for the last 20 or 30 or 40 years. If anything, these guys are doing it better then we ever have. We just overanalyse it more now

Yes of course they were armatures 40 years ago. But that also meant they never had to chase, tackle, follow structures like a defensive press etc. They could just eat pies, sit in the goal square and be fresh for their shots at goal. And they still sucked as much or more then the modern player. Can we stop blaming sports scientists or the training limits for goalkicking issues? The extra training goes into the extra requirements for a modern player. Goalkicking ... looks about the same or better to me.

This is also not a simple problem with simple solutions. I know everyone was melting about Higgins last week. But just for some context last week:
Naughton 1:5
Walters 1:3
Silvani 0:2
Riewaldt 2:3
Parish 0:2
Walker 2:6
Higgins 1:6
Hipwood 1:4

Yes last year we were better. Yes we are down on confidence and down towards the bottom for accuracy this year. But can we realise that everyone is struggling with this. Week in week out. For the last 40 years. There are no simple solutions here!

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
Not having a go at you mate, but I am sooo f**king sick of all these has been old players talking about how much better kicking was in their day. Brian Taylor is easily the worst. But every second commentator craps on about kicking in the modern game. Oh why do players kick around the body etc etc. If only we could get Matthew Lloyd or Ben Dixon to fix this issue (like they haven't tried for years already).

Has anyone actually watched a game from the 60s, 70s or 80s anytime recently? If not, seriously go and have a look. Most kicks miss their targets by 5 - 10 metres or are just hacks forward with no target in mind at all. The 2 or 3 players with good skills stand out like dogs balls because they CAN actually hit a target. In the modern game, the 2 or 3 players with poor skills stand out because everyone CANT hit a target. That is because the skills of the modern player are infinitely better then any of the overwhelming majority of people commenting on their poor execution.

As for the goalkicking, newsflash. You guys seriously sucked at it too. The answer, to "why cant they just kick a drop punt from 35 out straight in front" is "because that method NEVER actually worked and it is not that simple. Apart from a few freaks like Lockett and Hudson that get referenced constantly, pretty much nobody has been able to do it consistently. Ever!! Regardless of how good people think players were in the 70s, 80's or 90s." (when they also ran 1 or 2kms a game and not 10+).

Just as a random exercise, I looked at our scores from some random years across the first few rounds:

This is not a problem which has suddenly appeared in the last few years with this batch of Saints. It is almost every player in almost every team for the last 20 or 30 or 40 years. If anything, these guys are doing it better then we ever have. We just overanalyse it more now

Yes of course they were armatures 40 years ago. But that also meant they never had to chase, tackle, follow structures like a defensive press etc. They could just eat pies, sit in the goalsquare and be fresh for their shots at goal. And they still sucked as much or more then the modern player. Can we stop blaming sports scientists or the training limits for goalkicking issues? The extra training goes into the extra requirements for a modern player. Goalkicking ... looks about the same or better to me.

This is also not a simple problem with simple solutions. I know everyone was melting about Higgins last week. But just for some context last week:

Yes last year we were better. Yes we are down on confidence and down towards the bottom for accuracy this year. But can we realise that everyone is struggling with this. Week in week out. For the last 40 years. There are no simple solutions here!
I love this post.
Players inability to kick straight has remained unchanged ever since behind posts were invented.

Yes of course they were armatures 40 years ago. But that also meant they never had to chase, tackle, follow structures like a defensive press etc. They could just eat pies, sit in the goal square and be fresh for their shots at goal. And they still sucked as much or more then the modern player. Can we stop blaming sports scientists or the training limits for goalkicking issues? The extra training goes into the extra requirements for a modern player. Goalkicking ... looks about the same or better to me.

Haha that’s alright mate and I agree. Players can bend it like an overripe banana these days and you never saw that back in the day.
I think what I’m getting at is getting back to very very basics for an in front set shot. First thing to do is to hold it properly, align, drop, kick, follow through.
I reckon Fev was the best I’ve ever seen. He’s the one we should be bringing in as a set shot coach.

austinnn

Veteran GOP
Nov 7, 2012
France
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Bristol City FC, Urawa Red Diamonds FC
Haha that’s alright mate and I agree. Players can bend it like an overripe banana these days and you never saw that back in the day.
I think what I’m getting at is getting back to very very basics for an in front set shot. First thing to do is to hold it properly, align, drop, kick, follow through.
I reckon Fev was the best I’ve ever seen. He’s the one we should be bringing in as a set shot coach.
Actually that's a great call. Fev is a local unless I'm mistaken? His loud jocular larrikin spirit would be welcome at our club too. If he can get a few of the quieter players to enjoy training and put a bit more in, so much the better

I love this post.
Players inability to kick straight has remained unchanged ever since behind posts were invented.

That's true but conditions that they play in have substantially changed. Waverley was my era and that place would have ball literally stop dead in puddles and rain and wind like last night in Melbourne. Compared to the dome it was like a a different sport. Players would aim for about 20 meters around from the behind post hoping to catch the breeze to blow it back in for a goal. It should be a much more accurate ground but it doesn't seem to have been.

We never really know what's going on with players. Puts things in perspective.

How sad is it that you can't even attend your own grandfather's funeral because of covid rules.

LiterallyNobody

Cancelled due to poster being a Campaigner
30k Posts 10k Posts Cake Connoisseur SFA Daffodil Day Fund Raiser Harry Potter Fan Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds Shiny Penny
Jul 26, 2006
AFL Club
St Kilda
How sad is it that you can't even attend your own grandfather's funeral because of covid rules.
I was extremely fortunate to go to my grandmother’s funeral last year - only ten people were allowed. Everyone else had to watch it virtually.

it’s just so awful.

austinnn

Veteran GOP
Nov 7, 2012
France
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Bristol City FC, Urawa Red Diamonds FC
Worth listening to this in-house interview with Ryan Byrnes embedded halfway down this article.

The boy speaks so naturally and maturely you just hope his footy is of a high standard for the majority of his career, in which case its When he becomes captain, not If. What he said about Ratts and the program has given me renewed optimism (I'm that easily led!).

Also, he made a point about last season that I think not many of us have considered, certainly not me at any rate.

He was describing the start to last year and how there were no matches between March and May, so they in effect had a second pre-season. IMO, it clearly agreed with them and not having that luxury this season has had a huge effect.

Hugely impressive interview, well worth your time.

puppy_dog7

Premiership Player
Jul 29, 2007
AFL Club
St Kilda
Worth listening to this in-house interview with Ryan Byrnes embedded halfway down this article.

The boy speaks so naturally and maturely you just hope his footy is of a high standard for the majority of his career, in which case its When he becomes captain, not If. What he said about Ratts and the program has given me renewed optimism (I'm that easily led!).

Also, he made a point about last season that I think not many of us have considered, certainly not me at any rate.

He was describing the start to last year and how there were no matches between March and May, so they in effect had a second pre-season. IMO, it clearly agreed with them and not having that luxury this season has had a huge effect.

Hugely impressive interview, well worth your time.
Yep, has captain written all over him. Has great work ethic as well. Reckon he’ll be a great leader.
I remember listening to a player who was drafted last year saying he looked up to Byrnes at Sandy when he was bottom age and Byrnes was captain.

lewdogs

Cancelled
Saints Pledge Contributor
Jun 4, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Arsenal, Portland Trailblazers
Yep, has captain written all over him. Has great work ethic as well. Reckon he’ll be a great leader.
I remember listening to a player who was drafted last year saying he looked up to Byrnes at Sandy when he was bottom age and Byrnes was captain.
Looks a player. Reckon he could be a ripper. Didn't realise he was captain at Sandy. Loving the kid.

Thanks for sharing the interview, really enjoyed it.

Looks a player. Reckon he could be a ripper. Didn't raise he was captain at Sandy. Loving the kid.

We were on level 3 watching the Hawks match, he was directing everyone where to stand and who to cover and you could actually hear his voice. Bytel was the only other guy from the Saints you could audibly hear. It stood out that the two kids were instructing and leading.

lewdogs

Cancelled
Saints Pledge Contributor
Jun 4, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Arsenal, Portland Trailblazers
We were on level 3 watching the Hawks match, he was directing everyone where to stand and who to cover and you could actually hear his voice. Bytel was the only other guy from the Saints you could audibly hear. It stood out that the two kids were instructing and leading.
Great to hear :D

May 10, 2013
Queensland
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Melbourne Storm, Baghdadian Babes
Just reading the stats posted by Enclosed_Animal from the past, well I can tell you now back in the day my kicking on goal was impeccable, converting at just on 100%. One shot, one goal, so there 😝😝😝, now for those stats … although correct you have to remember, us old farts didn’t play with a roof over our heads or manufactured, manicured grass, we played on bloody cow paddocks & we could still roost a bag of wheat over the Murray 😉
So when you hear me complain about our kicking on goal & say how they should fix their inaccuracy, then you should all take note, coz I was a legend in my own lunch box. ☺️ Oh! Those where the days. 🤣

> Grav quietly leaves the room, whilst patting himself on the back, feeling pretty smug <

g_TRAIN

Near a spoon
Jun 15, 2006
Sydney
AFL Club
St Kilda
Just quietly I wouldn’t have any stats on this but to me it seems like Billings’s finnishing at the very least has improved. Seems much more simple and compact these days.

It has, last year he was a good shot for goal too.

He's actually going pretty well, but he's not the type of player who's going to tear games apart on his own he needs a strong team to thrive to his full potential.

FTP

Debutant
Mar 24, 2021
AFL Club
Melbourne
Hey Saints fans,

One of our talking points this week was Jack Higgins - where we discussed his great game on the weekend albeit his inaccuracy in front of goal.

Apologies for the long post but have to post it all here. If you want to read the full article - https://footytalkingpoints.com.au/2021/06/10/ftp-12/

If you like this kind of analysis - please subscribe on our website where we provide this kind of stuff weekly.

We decided to talk about Jack Higgins (#22) this week given how much he has been unfairly scrutinised following his performance on the weekend. We’ll analyse Higgins’ game fairly by including the things he is doing well and things he needs to work on. It’s unfair to talk negatively about a player just because they missed shots on goal. Yes, Higgins kicked 1.6 including 2 missed shots in the last two minutes of the game. It led headlines like ‘Missy Higgins’ cost the Saints. It’s a bit harsh. Higgins isn’t trying to miss those goals on purpose yet is getting almost bashed like he has done something wrong. The only thing I will say in regards to his inaccuracy is that Higgins seemed to rush his shots. He didn’t take his time and it looks like he has no defined goal kicking routine. Something for him to work on.

Outside of the bad misses (especially the two in the first quarter), people fail to mention that Higgins in fact had a great game, maybe his best game for his new club. He had 23 disposals, 12 marks, 3 inside 50’s and 2 tackles. For a small player who is playing a mixture of high half forward and a small forward role – to even get 7 shots on goal is an impressive feat.

Higgins is an interesting one for St Kilda. He left Richmond to get more opportunity at a new club (which he has had) but isn’t playing the midfield role that he probably anticipated when he made the move (and where he played all of his junior football). There’s no doubt Higgins is an accumulator of the ball and plays his best football as a midfielder so it’s odd that he hasn’t been tried in the midfield this year practically at all. It isn’t like St Kilda are loaded with top end midfielders either – especially with young players like Byrnes and Bytel getting reps in there.

Alas, as a forward, Higgins presents well up at the ball – he is always on the move and coming at the leg. He is decent overhead but lacks the athleticism and spring to play above his height. He makes up for this though through his work rate. On the weekend, Higgins played like a tall hit up forward and provided a genuine option for St Kilda to use. He had 12 marks and all were from his work rate to lead up at the kicker or work back into space to get used forward.

Here, his speed and work rate gives Howard an option out of the backline in a pressurised situation. Higgins then goes quickly and hits the inboard kick, which allows for a dangerous inside 50 entry. This is really good stuff.

Again, he spreads forward from a 50 metre penalty and tracks the ball before eventually getting used.

His ball use can be questionable at times. He has a tendency to kick high up and under kicks instead of lowering his eyes or taking some height off the ball to allow his forwards a proper run and jump at the ball. This is an example of it from the weekend that ends in a free kick and goal but it is too high in the air without enough penetration to leverage King’s leap and length. He does these kicks often.

Higgins is having a solid year in the role he is playing for St Kilda. He ranks elite in score involvements averaging 6 a game and averages 1.3 tackles inside 50. St Kilda should continue to honour Higgins on the lead. He had 4 marks on the lead on the weekend but including ones that were contested he had 6. He’s only had 14 for the entire year. If Higgins can make this a trend and continue to work up the ground and provide an option, it allows him to become more involved in the play up the ground rather than playing a traditional small forward role that doesn’t lend itself to Higgins’ strengths. It’s either that or actually give Higgins some midfield time – he has shown at TAC Cup level that he is super impactful in that role.

Higgins as a forward has been far from their worst. As a side note, it’s actually quite surprising how little heat Butler has received this year given how poorly he has played and how much his defensive work rate has dropped off compared to last year.

For everything that has gone wrong for St Kilda this year – they are still a chance to make finals. They probably should have won on the weekend and whilst it hurt St Kilda fans to lose in that fashion – there’s reason for optimism.

Jun 17, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda

Nope, they're just over paid, s*ithouse millennial, bed wetting, hash tag campaigning sooks, that still sleep in bum flap pyjamas. That's why they can't kick a ball 😎

LiterallyNobody

Cancelled due to poster being a Campaigner
30k Posts 10k Posts Cake Connoisseur SFA Daffodil Day Fund Raiser Harry Potter Fan Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds Shiny Penny
Jul 26, 2006
AFL Club
St Kilda
Nope, they're just over paid, s*ithouse millennial, bed wetting, hash tag campaigning sooks, that still sleep in bum flap pyjamas. That's why they can't kick a ball 😎
Quick question. How old do you think millennials are?

I’ll wait

Back