News 2021 St.Kilda Media Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Tiger-turned-Saint Dan Butler reveals the decision that made him feel at home at St Kilda
Dan Butler says there was one thing holding him back from fully embracing life at St Kilda after arriving from Richmond. So he made a change.

Dan Butler privately saw his breakout season last year coming, from shortly after the calendar flipped over to January.
The speedy small forward was warming to St Kilda’s training program — different in several ways to Richmond’s — felt fitter and was standing out in game simulation, then practice matches.

There was just one thing Butler thought was holding him back from fully embracing his second AFL chance, so he packed up all his stuff and relocated bayside.

“I left my Richmond mates and close friends up in Northcote, and moved down to East Brighton,” Butler told the Herald Sun.

“I think that’s when I finally felt at home and settled in. That’s what felt like the fresh start for me — I could really get involved with the Saints.

“Early on, I was travelling from Northcote to Moorabbin every day, which was taking me 50 minutes to an hour.

“When you’ve got that time in the car in the morning; on the way home it’s probably easy to leave the club a bit earlier and try and beat the traffic.”

The premiership-winning Tiger fell out of favour at his old club — going from playing 23 games to 15, then only seven in 2019 — but the Saints saw something in him that could help them climb the ladder.

They were right. Butler responded with an All-Australian-calibre campaign as St Kilda shocked everyone but itself in making the top eight and winning a final.

He had reason to feel stiff not to make the competition’s best 22, as the Saints’ analytics guru Darren O’Shaughnessy so eloquently and emphatically rammed home.

Butler ranked No. 1 for tackles in general play, goals by players smaller than 193cm and for forward-50 pressure — by 30 per cent over the next-best.

He comfortably outperformed his ex-Richmond teammates, including Jason Castagna, Dan Rioli, Shai Bolton, Jack Higgins and Jake Aarts.

However, while the 24-year-old was at Punt Road, the pressure for spots became all encompassing.

“Going into 2020, I wanted to get back to my best and bring that level of consistency,” Butler said.

“That starts in the pre-season, putting together a good fitness base and training well — and that leads into games.

“For me, it was about getting the confidence back. I knew my best was good enough, but I probably wasn’t bringing it enough.”

Butler, who is out of contract at season’s end, is now tipping greater things ahead for Hunter Clark, Nick Coffield, Max King, Ben Paton and another former Tiger, Higgins.

The ultra-composed Clark is the one he’s most excited about and he’s confident Higgins, too, can thrive at his new club.

“It’s just so good to see him back playing footy after what he’s been through (with his health),” Butler said.

“He gets a fresh start at the club he grew up barracking. The first thing I noticed is he hasn’t changed one bit — he’s still pretty chatty around the club and brings a good laugh to the team.

“He’s a very smart footballer, so I’m looking forward to playing alongside him again.”

Hun's suggested best 22

ST KILDA

B: Jake Carlisle --- Dougal Howard --- Ben Paton

HB: Nick Coffield --- Callum Wilkie --- Hunter Clark

C: Bradley Hill --- Brad Crouch --- Dan Hannebery

HF: Dan Butler --- Tim Membrey --- Jade Gresham

F: Jack Billings --- Max King --- Josh Battle

R: Rowan Marshall --- Zak Jones --- Jack Steele

Int: Paddy Ryder --- Seb Ross --- Jack Higgins --- Jarryn Geary

Who’s missing from last season?

Ben Long, Dean Kent, Jack Lonie, Jack Sinclair

Hun's suggested best 22

ST KILDA

Think I'd rather Sinclair than Ross, but it looks like a good team.

Hun's suggested best 22

ST KILDA

Apart from a some positional things that would be subject to debate, it’s probably the question of Geary v Long v Sinclair? Or even Lonie with the importance of little pressure fellas? Personally I’d probably side to Sincs.

Hun's suggested best 22

ST KILDA

The only change I have is Long instead of Geary but this is a very good side.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The club is doing plenty right these days, but the lack of video content is really poor. Compare it to the Bulldogs, as I've linked below, and it's clear how far behind our media department is with this. We've posted two videos in 2021, and no AFLW videos. The Bulldogs have posted 20 videos, with plenty of men's and women's content.

The club is doing plenty right these days, but the lack of video content is really poor. Compare it to the Bulldogs, as I've linked below, and it's clear how far behind our media department is with this. We've posted two videos in 2021, and no AFLW videos. The Bulldogs have posted 20 videos, with plenty of men's and women's content.

Been a problem for many years. Don’t even get me started on the draft “coverage”. Had a look at other team sites during the draft and they all had preview videos, review videos, some were over 10 mins long. Go on our site and basically all you get is the name of who we drafted.

Sadly on par... don't get me started on the so called inside access membership upgrade. *in lol

I've got vid skills, maybe should reach out to the club. They got some much needed sharpening during remote teaching last year
Never hurts to ask goodie23, hopefully they take you up on that offer & we start seeing an improvement from the media department.

**Footnote** If accepted you will of course have to be inducted into Saints Bigfooty ITK hall of fame.

My understanding is that department was already understaffed and then we had to fire more of them last year, so I'm not surprised not much is coming out. I'm guessing they're outsourcing it now and that's pretty expensive.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back