News 2021 St.Kilda Media Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Go on... what did he say?
"No...no, Tim Silver (Adelaide CEO) is a very good operator and done a lot of good work in the industry so I hope he does very well at that job. I'm really comfortable at St.Kilda. Adelaide & I had a few conversations but on a very casual level to make sure they knew that I wasn't interested and mainly because the Saints have shown a lot of faith in me in getting me involved in 2017 and I've got a plan in place here to see this out long term and to have as big of an impact as I can here so I'm quite comfy here in Victoria"

Not sure which part he apparently might be lying about or if it was as incredible as said. Seems like a pretty clear cut answer from a guy who enjoys his job.

Zak Jones on AFL Tonight...tomorrow night (Wednesday).

Make sense of that.

“two ageing champions”? Who could they possibly be? Maybe Carlisle and Geary? Wouldn’t exactly call either a “champion” though.
I think it’s just poorly worded. The ex-Hawthorn line is actually referring to Hawthorn should have traded Breust and Gunston. The article is actually a round table in every club. What a load of drivel, to be honest! Robbo and King amongst the panel.

I think it’s just poorly worded. The ex-Hawthorn line is actually referring to Hawthorn should have traded Breust and Gunston. The article is actually a round table in every club. What a load of drivel, to be honest! Robbo and King amongst the panel.

Ah right. Probably one of those articles which says how Jack Bytel is a rising small forward and Tom Highmore will play ruck and Sam Alabakis is a new assistant coach. Love their research, these journos.

Click here and subscribe . We carefully didn't give away the substance for the story, because then you wouldn't click here.

Ah right. Probably one of those articles which says how Jack Bytel is a rising small forward and Tom Highmore will play ruck and Sam Alabakis is a new assistant coach. Love their research, these journos.

Can't read the article but I assume the genius prognostication will be that St Kilda should play Steele forward a bit more to try and turn him into a Petracca / Danger / Fyfe type of mid-forward.

While Steele has shown himself to be very useful when resting forward, anyone who has paid even scant attention to our build would see that fitting all of Butler/Lonie/Gresh/Higgins in forward rotations is going to be hard enough, trying to fit in another 'smaller' type forward (Steele is 187 cm so medium sized I guess) is really the least of our worries.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can't read the article but I assume the genius prognostication will be that St Kilda should play Steele forward a bit more to try and turn him into a Petracca / Danger / Fyfe type of mid-forward.

While Steele has shown himself to be very useful when resting forward, anyone who has paid even scant attention to our build would see that fitting all of Butler/Lonie/Gresh/Higgins in forward rotations is going to be hard enough, trying to fit in another 'smaller' type forward (Steele is 187 cm so medium sized I guess) is really the least of our worries.
I think it’s Joey or Roo that says Gresh is our equivalent, not in stature, but dynamism

Awesome video on the AFL site that explains how Steele has basically turned himself around after that Freo game last year and "hard conversation" if I knew how to post videos and links, I'd put it in here so I'll let someone else take the glory...

And apologies if this is in the wrong thread

St Kilda will have two new players in Round 1 including a 28-year-old ruckman making his AFL debut
St Kilda won’t risk Zak Jones with wet conditions expected in Sydney on Sunday but the Saints will unveil two new players against GWS

St Kilda coach Brett Ratten had a smile as big as Luna Park when he happily confirmed on Friday that the last man added to his playing list would be making his AFL debut on Sunday.
Ruckman Paul Hunter was only signed in February and the 28-year-old’s long route to the AFL will be complete when he runs out against GWS.

Hunter will be joined by another mature-age recruit, 23-year-old defender Tom Highmore, with the duo completing their transition from SANFL teammates to AFL teammates.

With big men Rowan Marshall and Paddy Ryder both unavailable, Hunter, who was first drafted by the Adelaide Crows in 2016, became a must-pick for Ratten who said he now had an opportunity to “make his mark” at St Kilda.

“The great thing about out game is there are so many stories about how you got an opportunity to play,” Ratten said on Friday.

“Some have had completely different paths and different challenges. Paul Hunter was playing for Redlands in the Queensland league a few years ago.

“He played for Adelaide, didn’t get a game, went up there, then went back to SA. Players have their own stories and have the chance to make a mark on their own AFL career.”

“Both boys have waited for a fair chunk of time to get the opportunity.”

Ratten confirmed Jade Gresham would play, but said the Saints wouldn’t risk speedster Zak Jones, who is still getting over a hamstring strain, in a game likely to be played in extremely wet conditions.

“Zak hasn’t done enough. He was close but he missed a little bit of running during the week,” Ratten said.

“With some of the injuries we’ve got we don’t need to take another risk. It’s a long year, he’s a quality player and very valuable. We need to take fit men in to Rd 1.

“There’s going to be 120ml of rain on Saturday up there. We’re thinking of taking boat up as well, just to get to the ground. It’s going to be really wet.

“It’s going to be a contest game and we are going to have to apply ourselves.”

The Saints will also be without star young forward Max King after he was hit in the head by a golf ball.

Ratten said he was still coming to terms with how that incident unfolded.

“I was on the phone to the doc and waiting for the Benny Hill music to come over the top. It was unbelievable,” he said.

“I did say to Max the other day that he’ll be able to write a little chapter in his book in 15 years time.

“But that’s footy and that’s life. His welfare is the most important thing and he wasn’t quite right.”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back