News 2021 St.Kilda Media Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

It's long been the go to of the lazy journo to stick the boots into the Saints.
Personally I don't care, but for the %95 of fans and members that might not know any better it's probably contributing to our historically poor membership, along with the obvious lack of success.
Only sustained success will change the narrative.
No it happens when you get smashed by 10 + goals and don’t put effort in
Got heaps of good press last year and Pre season We make it easy for them to stick the boots 🥾 in

Really good interview with Nathan Freeman, who has started the VFL season for Frankston with two 40+ disposal performances.

Amazing attitude and wise beyond his years.

Mentioned that at the end of the 2018 season, he wasn't shocked to be delisted because we were clearing out our list and he needed off-season shoulder surgery which would have meant a delayed start to the preseason. I don't recall that ever being reported, but maybe I'm wrong.

If he keeps this form up I wouldn't be shocked if a team was tempted to take a punt at the midseason draft.

Also a Saints fan...

No it happens when you get smashed by 10 + goals and don’t put effort in
Got heaps of good press last year and Pre season We make it easy for them to stick the boots 🥾 in

They can lay the boots in as much as they want regarding our performances of late.
However, if you are going to criticise things like the list, as least make sure your facts are correct.

The two Sams - McClure and Landsberger are the only two journos who appear to have done any homework regarding the state of our list (or anything else Saints related for that matter.)

They can lay the boots in as much as they want regarding our performances of late.
However, if you are going to criticise things like the list, as least make sure your facts are correct.

The two Sams - McClure and Landsberger are the only two journos who appear to have done any homework regarding the state of our list (or anything else Saints related for that matter.)
Sam Edmund, not Landsberger. Landsberger is another one writing articles about the age of our list and how we will struggle replacing the on field input from our 30 plus players (where the other 2 Sams have pointed out is incorrect and our issues are elsewhere).

Sam to AFL journalism seems to be like Jacks to St Kilda.

Really good interview with Nathan Freeman, who has started the VFL season for Frankston with two 40+ disposal performances.

Mentioned that at the end of the 2018 season, he wasn't shocked to be delisted because we were clearing out our list and he needed off-season shoulder surgery which would have meant a delayed start to the preseason. I don't recall that ever being reported, but maybe I'm wrong.

If he keeps this form up I wouldn't be shocked if a team was tempted to take a punt at the midseason draft.

Also a Saints fan...

He's got a better attitude than i have.

Get his leg right, then de-list.

Get in Hanneberry ( Bust ) , Kent ( Ho hum ), Mathew Parker ( Gone ), Nick Hind ( Gone), Robbie Young ( Gone )
Its hard to argue that we needed to de-list Freeman to get any of that lot.

Get in Hanneberry ( Bust ) , Kent ( Ho hum ), Mathew Parker ( Gone ), Nick Hind ( Gone), Robbie Young ( Gone )
That would be such a brilliant 'Feel Good' story if he were to be picked up....by us...having gambled on Hanners and gambled on others why stop now....Spinning Wheel, Blood Sweat and Tears. "What goes up must come down spinning wheel got to go round...talkin bout your troubles its a cryin sin! Ride a painted pony Let the spinning wheel spin!"

That would be such a brilliant 'Feel Good' story if he were to be picked up....by us...having gambled on Hanners and gambled on others why stop now....Spinning Wheel, Blood Sweat and Tears. "What goes up must come down spinning wheel got to go round...talkin bout your troubles its a cryin sin! Ride a painted pony Let the spinning wheel spin!"

Would be a great story. I would be very interested to know some more detail about how he is playing now other than 40 disposals. Is he tackling again (this was a big issue when he played with us, due to a bad shoulder)? Is he winning contested and uncontested ball? How is his disposal efficiency? Has he lost his breakaway pace? Does he spread from the stoppage and is he fit?

Yeah I don't mind a clip for our performances, but the commentary around age is pathetic journalism.

"Two clubs went all-in last trade period by adding more mature players to an already experienced group - Geelong and St Kilda"

Dogs
Hannan - 27
Martin - 34
Treloar - 28
Scott - 26

Carl
Williams - 26
Saad - 26
Fogarty - 22
McDonald - 25

Essendon
Caldwell - 20
Wright - 24
Hind - 26
Waterman - 24

Geelong
Cameron - 28
Smith - 32
Higgins - 33

Saints
Crouch - 27
Higgins - 22
McKernan - 30
Hunter - 28
Wood - 27

Considering the last 3 of ours would be on minimum wage, one year deals, literally cost zero picks I don't think you can whinge about them much… We moved on 13 players last off season so we couldn't just replace them all with 18 year olds.

Also a Saints fan...

In person he looked a class above VFL and didn't lack pace or toughness. He's a little guy even at VFL level though. Still super fit and got gym guns.

It would be a huge hill for us to climb to make the finals this year.
BTW. Kane Cornes is looking more like a bobble head every day!

View attachment 1113997

True story - I never realised how much of a bobble head he was until I watched the Sunday footy show a couple of weeks ago. * me - that’s a big bobble. Is it because he has a massive scone or his body is proportioned smaller compared to head.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, when we've put a 2nd round pick and 3 years at 350k, but won't rookie him for 1 year at 90k.
Very much a parallel to Hanners with the club trying to make injured players return to %100 of their pre injury speed instead of utilizing what other abilities they might bring and accepting %90 speed with longevity.
Pretty dumb in hindsight....

True story - I never realised how much of a bobble head he was until I watched the Sunday footy show a couple of weeks ago. fu** me - that’s a big bobble. Is it because he has a massive scone or his body is proportioned smaller compared to head.

It's air pressure
Personally, I think 200psi is way too much
If he only inflated his head to 120psi, he would look a lot better

Screenshot 2021-04-29 110014.png

Would be a great story. I would be very interested to know some more detail about how he is playing now other than 40 disposals. Is he tackling again (this was a big issue when he played with us, due to a bad shoulder)? Is he winning contested and uncontested ball? How is his disposal efficiency? Has he lost his breakaway pace? Does he spread from the stoppage and is he fit?
When he was playing for sandy he had no trouble tackling , his whole game plan was stay inside dish off or tackle as he looked like he didn't trust his legs to burst from a pack , going by his stats last week he must be running a lot more than he was and only had one tackle and 29 kicks so is obviously playing more outside , like you said the question is he now running flat out ?

True story - I never realised how much of a bobble head he was until I watched the Sunday footy show a couple of weeks ago. fu** me - that’s a big bobble. Is it because he has a massive scone or his body is proportioned smaller compared to head.

Narrow little shoulders that are lopsided. His shoulders don't come out past his ears. It's a genetic adaptation that serves them well in SA, allows them to articulate their shoulders and slink out of barrels.

The game I saw he played more as a ball winning mid. He was so good at winning first use he didn't need to tackle, they had to take the ball off him. His pace and agility were good, he'd grab it in traffic wheel around at top speed and set up really nice kicks into the forward line that were just about perfect for the forwards to run on to. He looked way too good for the level compared to the Coburg and other Frangger mids. Was easily the one where you thought he could be playing still. They have a forward that played at Essendon Josh Begley that plays like Jake Stringer at his best as well. They were a pretty lethal combo. I think Begley had about 6 goals and was getting triple teamed at times and just burst out of traffic and ripped the ball down. He looks like a country footballer but is very good.

Hey Saints fans,

On our blog we provide analysis on players + interesting team developments.

One of our focuses this week is on the Saints - we discuss some of the key statistics that differentiate 2021 to your superb year last year.

https://footytalkingpoints.com.au/2021/04/28/ftp-6/

I'm not trying to rub salt into the wounds - would just love to hear your perspectives on why this season has started so poorly. The number differentials from 2020 to 2021 are quite significant.

Cheers

Hey Saints fans,

On our blog we provide analysis on players + interesting team developments.

One of our focuses this week is on the Saints - we discuss some of the key statistics that differentiate 2021 to your superb year last year.

https://footytalkingpoints.com.au/2021/04/28/ftp-6/

I'm not trying to rub salt into the wounds - would just love to hear your perspectives on why this season has started so poorly. The number differentials from 2020 to 2021 are quite significant.

Cheers
Quick summary:

1. s**t load of injuries.
2. Hardest draw of any side.
3. We’re ordinary anyway.

Quick summary:

1. sh*t load of injuries.
2. Hardest draw of any side.
3. We’re ordinary anyway.

Have you had that many injuries though? I understand Marshall was a big loss at the start of the year and Gresham a couple of weeks ago hurt but who else outside of that? Is Hannebery that much of a big in?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back