True Believer

All Australian
Jul 6, 2005
My own little world
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Saints
Have you had that many injuries though? I understand Marshall was a big loss at the start of the year and Gresham a couple of weeks ago hurt but who else outside of that? Is Hannebery that much of a big in?
Paton, Geary, Hannebury, Frawley, Ryder, Marshall, Gresham, Byrnes, Jones (early)......

The Jack

Club Legend
Aug 24, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
Have you had that many injuries though? I understand Marshall was a big loss at the start of the year and Gresham a couple of weeks ago hurt but who else outside of that? Is Hannebery that much of a big in?
Our captain for a start. Paton, our best lock down defender. Marshall, Ryder, Gresham, Jones, Byrnes, Hannebery, Webster, Frawley That’s just of the top of my head. Crouch also missed 2 with suspension. Is that enough?

prophetic1

Club Legend
Apr 18, 2013
b
AFL Club
St Kilda

It would be a huge hill for us to climb to make the finals this year.
BTW. Kane Cornes is looking more like a bobble head every day!

View attachment 1113997

I think I like Corns less on the Air than I do on my feet ...both smelly and both unsavory....and he could be Andrew BOLTS son...thats enough to turn my stomach!:think: Regardless of if he's right !

Roddy Grant

Tier 5 ITK - formerly Indie Rock
Saints Pledge Contributor
Jan 24, 2020
AFL Club
St Kilda
He was all nicey nicey when interviewing Lade the other week there.

I think he is a weasel.

He talks as much shite as Robbo but at least Robbo will tell someone how he feels to their face.

LiterallyNobody

Cancelled due to poster being a Campaigner
30k Posts 10k Posts Cake Connoisseur SFA Daffodil Day Fund Raiser Harry Potter Fan Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds Shiny Penny
Jul 26, 2006
AFL Club
St Kilda

All teams have injuries - I suppose it’s where they are that hurts eg

BOTH ruckman - Ryder and Marshall unavailable, leaving us with a VFL standard ruckman who had playEd very few or any games at all ( can’t remember exactly)
Huge loss to our structure when you look how important they were
last year.

THREE very important backmen in experienced captain Geary and Paton ( who you may not know too much about bc he’s not a name) but was very important to our backline last year. Also Webster.

TWO first choice mids in Gresham and Jones. (Not counting Hanners bc he rarely plays anyway. Not even counting Crouch bc he was unavailable early but didn’t play for us last season.)

Add a few players out of form for whatever reason and we have the perfect storm.

So to come up against teams like Port, Tigers, WC, GWS all top four last year, plus the Dees the way they are going at this stage with our injury list / Ryder out was tough.

Hate to make excuses, as we’ve been absolutely less than impressive, but the above must have played a part to a fairly large extent.

Last edited:

austinnn

Veteran GOP
Nov 7, 2012
France
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Bristol City FC, Urawa Red Diamonds FC

I was very pleased to see that Nicky has visited the club this week, being that two of our indigenous players are slowly trudging back up that Long Hill of form at the moment and coming under considerable heat inside and outside the club.

Neither Ben nor Brad have probably experienced such crushing downs in footy before and form can be a lonely place, a place Nicky knows personally.

I was in the crowd the day in Nicky allowed some young (Carlton?) player to get under his skin, the match that signed his papers out of St Kilda to finish his career in ignominy at Footscray.

Obviously plenty of players get this treatment not just indigenous ones: I watched Scott Camporeale get turned into a reportable Maniac by some cheeky smartarse player one day, but anyway...

Nicky would deeply recognise the treatment Ben Long is currently on the end of, and I hope he particularly took the time to take him aside man to man and help him out with his issues because that young man is right at the crossroads already in his career and could very well quickly see his standing at the club diminish to become unplayable.

Of course both Ben and Brad are playing badly right now, and that's no one else's fault but a lot of players have had form issues, even the great Nicky Winmar. The important thing when working through it is knowing that you're not alone, so it was great to see Nicky there for the whole team to enforce this message.

Let's hope his visit has the desired effect.

AirWinmar

Premiership Player
Jun 18, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda

I was very pleased to see that Nicky has visited the club this week, being that two of our indigenous players are slowly trudging back up that Long Hill of form at the moment and coming under considerable heat inside and outside the club.

Neither Ben nor Brad have probably experienced such crushing downs in footy before and form can be a lonely place, a place Nicky knows personally.

I was in the crowd the day in Nicky allowed some young (Carlton?) player to get under his skin, the match that signed his papers out of St Kilda to finish his career in ignominy at Footscray.

Obviously plenty of players get this treatment not just indigenous ones: I watched Scott Camporeale get turned into a reportable Maniac by some cheeky smartarse player one day, but anyway...

Nicky would deeply recognise the treatment Ben Long is currently on the end of, and I hope he particularly took the time to take him aside man to man and help him out with his issues because that young man is right at the crossroads already in his career and could very well quickly see his standing at the club diminish to become unplayable.

Of course both Ben and Brad are playing badly right now, and that's no one else's fault but a lot of players have had form issues, even the great Nicky Winmar. The important thing when working through it is knowing that you're not alone, so it was great to see Nicky there for the whole team to enforce this message.

Thanks for posting Austinnn. Great to see and what a legend Nicky is!!

Saintbloke

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda

Really good interview with Nathan Freeman, who has started the VFL season for Frankston with two 40+ disposal performances.

Amazing attitude and wise beyond his years.

Mentioned that at the end of the 2018 season, he wasn't shocked to be delisted because we were clearing out our list and he needed off-season shoulder surgery which would have meant a delayed start to the preseason. I don't recall that ever being reported, but maybe I'm wrong.

If he keeps this form up I wouldn't be shocked if a team was tempted to take a punt at the midseason draft.

Also a Saints fan...
And a nice bloke too!

Oct 2, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda
May 22, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda

kernelT

Can go any club
Aug 15, 2010
Chiraq
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Louis Slungpue
Nicky would deeply recognise the treatment Ben Long is currently on the end of
This could be a naive question but: do you think Brad & Ben are experiencing extra heat or pressure about their performances because they are indigenous?

I imagine there is always going to be some level of latent racism for these guys, but are they being treated in a different manner to other poorly performing players at the moment?

Is Long being racially vilified? Man I would hope not.

Xxxx66

All Australian
Jul 14, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
This could be a naive question but: do you think Brad & Ben are experiencing extra heat or pressure about their performances because they are indigenous?

I imagine there is always going to be some level of latent racism for these guys, but are they being treated in a different manner to other poorly performing players at the moment?

Wouldn't have thought so. Can't imagine players going down that path with the education and likely ramifications.
Haven't read or seen anything in the media or BF with racial undertones.
But when a side touted as a top 4 chance is playing without effort, everyone cops it, including (the trainee receptionist) 😄. Especially if you are the high priced recruit not delivering.

FQFjt

Club Legend
Sep 11, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda

Really good interview with Nathan Freeman, who has started the VFL season for Frankston with two 40+ disposal performances.

Amazing attitude and wise beyond his years.

Mentioned that at the end of the 2018 season, he wasn't shocked to be delisted because we were clearing out our list and he needed off-season shoulder surgery which would have meant a delayed start to the preseason. I don't recall that ever being reported, but maybe I'm wrong.

If he keeps this form up I wouldn't be shocked if a team was tempted to take a punt at the midseason draft.

Also a Saints fan...

Freeman had another 35 disposals this week. Averaging 39 touches per game in the first 3 rounds of the season.

Sep 27, 2008
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chelsea, Black Caps, Subiaco
Freeman had another 35 disposals this week. Averaging 39 touches per game in the first 3 rounds of the season.

Didn't Dunstan rack up about 40 disposals in the VFL not so long ago? Racking up big numbers in the VFL doesn't mean they will do similar in the AFL.

FQFjt

Club Legend
Sep 11, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
Didn't Dunstan rack up about 40 disposals in the VFL not so long ago? Racking up big numbers in the VFL doesn't mean they will do similar in the AFL.

No doubt, but what else is he able to do to prove his worth? At the very least, it seems that he has put his injury issues behind him. Whether he has the speed, the endurance, the disposal etc etc to play at AFL level is obviously a big question mark, but I'd be shocked if there weren't quite a few club scouts turning up at Frankston games between now and the mid-season draft.

No doubt, but what else is he able to do to prove his worth? At the very least, it seems that he has put his injury issues behind him. Whether he has the speed, the endurance, the disposal etc etc to play at AFL level is obviously a big question mark, but I'd be shocked if there weren't quite a few club scouts turning up at Frankston games between now and the mid-season draft.
Exactly. Everyone looked at and everyone selected, by us and by the other teams, will currently be playing in a lesser competition than the AFL.

Just have to trust the recruiters and their judgment.

there were apparently racist remarks made via Facebook to the extent the club made social media statements about it.

Back