News 2021 St.Kilda Media Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Mate there's not a single way Richo's game plan would look any better now than it did the entire time he was here. It would look worse because with the rule changes this year teams with good skills are exposing tryers more than ever and a gameplan based on pressure would fall apart against teams with players who can kick at any angle past the mark.

As opposed to Ratts turd splatter game plan?

It's the "injuries with cost" that really matter, we're first for that. And I doubt they're including Hanners too.

I think that's saying games lost when missing injured players. I think that also shows we drop our efforts as soon as we have a player go down or otherwise have poor depth so can't cover injury as well as others. Hanners would be included in injuries for sure as would Gresham or it would be pretty useless.

It all looked so promising at the end of last year. Won a final, boom recruits and then it all turned to Custard.
I can think of another substance other than custard !!!!!

LOL.

For me.....it all looked extremely hopeful until I saw the 2021 draw.....YIKES !!!!!!

I'm keeping my powder dry until I can see what our list looks like when it's in reasonable shape.....surely the injury gods can't be this cruel 2 years running.

I still can't get my head around those large horror losses earlier in the year tho.....something was very very wrong......for so much of the team to fall off the cliff in several games is just plain mystifying.

Well thankfully Carlton and the Suns have bobbed up on the media hit list so we are yesterday’s news ….for a little while anyway.

Well thankfully Carlton and the Suns have bobbed up on the media hit list so we are yesterday’s news ….for a little while anyway.
Absolutely Diehard..........it's a great relief that the bombs aren't being dropped on us daily.......that was exhausting.

Yes and lets be real, Carlton & Gold Coast are in a far worse situation anyway. Aside from getting a free pass into a finals series due to the ASADA case, the Blues have been a laughing stock for over a decade, while the Suns are now getting spoken about as if they should relocate to Tasmania. Still baffles me that with all the funding and handouts they received they still have never made a finals series.

I don’t mind the criticism through the media though, obviously it can get quite tiresome but I’m glad we haven’t been given any excuses and it’s forcing the club to a mini review.

If we were given an easy out because of the tough fixture we were handed it could very well hide the fact we have not been near good enough this season. I haven’t fully lost hope in the current list but it’s definitely highlighted the fact we need to attack the draft before anything else.

You’d hate to be a pies supporter, someone could drop a pen and there would be a story written about it.

It all looked so promising at the end of last year. Won a final, boom recruits and then it all turned to Custard.

That Geelong game was the turning point. More and more sides worked out that you could plan for us to do the same thing with the out the back to Butler and kicking gaols with in range. We had a great injury run which started to get tested late and the depth was already light on last year. The 2020 Dogs were still pretty uneven and I think we hit a side with a similar quality list and got a win.

I was never convinced we were as close as we looked though. The list profile is still half filled in. There is a good chance that we rebound if we have a similar good injury run but any injuries and a few players moved on for youth and we could easily stay down for another year. It seriously could be better to do a Melbourne than jump back up too fast. Not tanking but playing to capacity with out luck falling our way on field. Get another 3 top 10 drafted kids into the side who create real momentum. Essendon's kids look like they are making a genuine impact now and are the difference. They did a Port Adelaide and drafted really well. Just need to follow that model.

Yes and lets be real, Carlton & Gold Coast are in a far worse situation anyway. Aside from getting a free pass into a finals series due to the ASADA case, the Blues have been a laughing stock for over a decade, while the Suns are now getting spoken about as if they should relocate to Tasmania. Still baffles me that with all the funding and handouts they received they still have never made a finals series.

Gold Coast have a better list than Carlton. Carlton could make finals before them but the list that GC are building is going to be proper good if they stay together. Carlton want to do everything without doing the hard yards.

Gold Coast have a better list than Carlton. Carlton could make finals before them but the list that GC are building is going to be proper good if they stay together. Carlton want to do everything without doing the hard yards.
That's what confuses me. They've generally always had talent, they've had more of a run at it from the AFL than the Giants have. First it was good talent at key position areas like May & Lynch, now it's talent through the midfield in Rowell and Noah Anderson for example. Either way they've rebuilt they still haven't worked it out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's what confuses me. They've generally always had talent, they've had more of a run at it from the AFL than the Giants have. First it was good talent at key position areas like May & Lynch, now it's talent through the midfield in Rowell and Noah Anderson for example. Either way they've rebuilt they still haven't worked it out.

They tend to leak talent. GWS got much more of an early hit at the first rounds of drafts and were set up to not be as bad as the Suns. Losing Lynch and May allowed them to go back and draft a generation of high end talent and they already have a decent core of older talent now. I think they will jump up quickly when they do come like Brisbane did. Losing Witts really gave them a big hit in competitiveness this year and Rowell and Anderson look like they'll be a great duo. Rankine, Luko, King, Hollands, all coming through

Bowes, Greenwood, Miller. Collins, Weller, Swallow etc are all good players. They probably need a couple of players to take that next step like us and they will be away. At least with the quality of their kids there is good chance that that will happen at some point.

They tend to leak talent. GWS got much more of an early hit at the first rounds of drafts and were set up to not be as bad as the Suns. Losing Lynch and May allowed them to go back and draft a generation of high end talent and they already have a decent core of older talent now. I think they will jump up quickly when they do come like Brisbane did. Losing Witts really gave them a big hit in competitiveness this year and Rowell and Anderson look like they'll be a great duo. Rankine, Luko, King, Hollands, all coming through

Bowes, Greenwood, Miller. Collins, Weller, Swallow etc are all good players. They probably need a couple of players to take that next step like us and they will be away. At least with the quality of their kids there is good chance that that will happen at some point.
Dunno mate, I think they've got enough there now to at least be pushing 8th. They seem to be going backwards despite the kids on the list who can play.

Article on AFL that says we have the second hardest remaining draw blah blah blah.

here’s the s**t thing. We have already played seven of the top eight teams so far this year. So you would think we maybe only have two or three more right? Play them all once and maybe play one or two of them twice again.

Wrong. We play six of our last games against top eight sides. Carlton Collingwood and Freo the only sides we play that are not in the top eight.

This will mean at year’s end we will most likely have played the highest possible number against top eight sides - thirteen. Five twice and three once.

Now I don’t give a * about injuries form or anything else that may be responsible for the season I want to bitch about this fixture. It is the WORST fixture a team has EVER received on basis of who we play twice. It is a perfect demonstration of how NOT to do a fixture. And a quick word in the letter to fans or quick jab on a sports radio segment is not enough to say “hey this is bullshit”

I sincerely hope a strongly worded letter is sent to the AFL to illustrate just how farcical their supposed flawless 6-6-6 system is.

I will die on this hill. The fixture for 2021 is the worst and most inherently unfair fixture a team has ever received. Look forward to your snarky rebuttals.

Article on AFL that says we have the second hardest remaining draw blah blah blah.

here’s the sh*t thing. We have already played seven of the top eight teams so far this year. So you would think we maybe only have two or three more right? Play them all once and maybe play one or two of them twice again.

Wrong. We play six of our last games against top eight sides. Carlton Collingwood and Freo the only sides we play that are not in the top eight.

This will mean at year’s end we will most likely have played the highest possible number against top eight sides - thirteen. Five twice and three once.

Now I don’t give a fu** about injuries form or anything else that may be responsible for the season I want to b*tch about this fixture. It is the WORST fixture a team has EVER received on basis of who we play twice. It is a perfect demonstration of how NOT to do a fixture. And a quick word in the letter to fans or quick jab on a sports radio segment is not enough to say “hey this is bullshit”

I sincerely hope a strongly worded letter is sent to the AFL to illustrate just how farcical their supposed flawless 6-6-6 system is.

I will die on this hill. The fixture for 2021 is the worst and most inherently unfair fixture a team has ever received. Look forward to your snarky rebuttals.

I did hear somewhere that at the time the draw came out Finnis spoke to the AFL about it and the unfairness of it all. It would not have been a good look to complain out loud to us supporters.

I did hear somewhere that at the time the draw came out Finnis spoke to the AFL about it and the unfairness of it all. It would not have been a good look to complain out loud to us supporters.
NO not now or then but at the end of the season - hell if Eddie can whinge every year about Colingwood having five trips instead of four or Clarko about playing all eight finalists to start the season a few years ago then why the hell not? It won't achieve anything for us I know but let them know "hey guys, your system is s**t and you ****ed up. Don't let something like this happen again. Hell, I'll ******* send them an email."

here’s the sh*t thing. We have already played seven of the top eight teams so far this year. So you would think we maybe only have two or three more right? Play them all once and maybe play one or two of them twice again.

Now I don’t give a fu** about injuries form or anything else that may be responsible for the season I want to b*tch about this fixture. It is the WORST fixture a team has EVER received on basis of who we play twice. It is a perfect demonstration of how NOT to do a fixture. And a quick word in the letter to fans or quick jab on a sports radio segment is not enough to say “hey this is bullshit”

Worst fixture.

One of the worst runs with injuries.

Both of these just compound the issues we have had with goal kicking and general effort.

But they make me very optimistic that we can bounce back quickly. Hopefully this makes us better long term as we really focus on improving all areas of our club and we get a better run with the draw/injuries.

Worst fixture.

One of the worst runs with injuries.

Both of these just compound the issues we have had with goal kicking and general effort.

But they make me very optimistic that we can bounce back quickly. Hopefully this makes us better long term as we really focus on improving all areas of our club and we get a better run with the draw/injuries.
Exactly. I was whinging about the fixture as soon as it was released (I personally put a lot more stock in fixture pre season than anything else) coz I knew it would be tough.

It's not the sole reason we are where we are but it's part of the reason this year is going to be rubbish for us. A big part...

I don't follow ALL sports, I do most but I can't think of many that set up fixtures like this It's simple, each teams plays each other once or twice, It can't change each year depending on what team is performing, simply unfair. shorten the quarters if need be, start the season earlier, I don't know Make a draft lottery while you're at it

I don't follow ALL sports, I do most but I can't think of many that set up fixtures like this It's simple, each teams plays each other once or twice, It can't change each year depending on what team is performing, simply unfair. shorten the quarters if need be, start the season earlier, I don't know Make a draft lottery while you're at it
I’ll never get behind the idea of less football per year. Shorter games or less games are both ideas that just don’t work.
Shorter games last year didn’t make the product better. It felt short, it was noticeable. As soon as I got comfortable watching, the siren would go.

Only bad in hindsight

It wasn't only bad in hindsight. It's worse in Hindsight.

Before the season started we had the number 1 ranked hardest draw according to AFL.com.au
Yeah with no idea how any team would perform it's a pretty useless measurement. Nobody knew Sydney would be pushing top four and some had the Suns and Blues in the eight lol.

Same as Melbourne and WB being top of the ladder. Those were winnable games at the beginning of the year, their form and our form has now made that become a tough draw.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back