News 2021 St.Kilda Media Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

That discredits everything he just said. What a complete garbage can.

It doesn't matter where someone is from/playing their junior footy, we clearly rated Nasiah higher then Sinn, which is why we took him. We took best available. Not much more to it then that. Always something to complain about, eh Healy?

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think Luke Dunstan was a Captain.

I begin by declaring I’ve never seen Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera or Josh Sinn play a game of football.

May be the single greatest line in AFL history. Incredible stuff from an employed AFL pundit.

I begin by declaring I’ve never seen Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera or Josh Sinn play a game of football.

May be the single greatest line in AFL history. Incredible stuff from an employed AFL pundit.

So we take Sinn.

Nek Minnit

“Have the Saints taken too many Sandy Dragon boys and ignored talent outside their own backyard?” Gerard Healy up next on SEN to discuss.

So we take Sinn.

Nek Minnit

“Have the Saints taken too many Sandy Dragon boys and ignored talent outside their own backyard?” Gerard Healy up next on SEN to discuss.

To me there is actually more to that argument.
The Sandy Dragons boys all seem to be very polished and media aware, i'm sure they all interview really well.
I think it was them i heard about on the radio, all the online meetings and activities they did during lockdown.

The thing is , you can groom players to appeal to drafters in footy clubs, but that grooming doesn't necessarily translate to their ultimate ability.

St Kilda reports strong financial results…
https://www.saints.com.au/news/1033789
This is getting swamped by the draft news (understandably) but it deserves to get some attention along the way. Fantastic result, shows great progress even during COVID.
if we can have a decent year on the field we’ll start kicking some serious financial goals.

This is getting swamped by the draft news (understandably) but it deserves to get some attention along the way. Fantastic result, shows great progress even during COVID.
if we can have a decent year on the field we’ll start kicking some serious financial goals.
And here’s the full article.

St Kilda Football Club is pleased to confirm a series of positive financial results in publishing its 2021 Annual Report, headlined by a $4.3m reduction in club debt.

The club achieved an operating profit of $3.6m for the financial year ending 31 October 2021, however after accounting for facility funding revenue, depreciation, amortisation and interest, the club reported a statutory profit of $12.8m.

TOGETHER WE RISE: BECOME A 2022 MEMBER TODAY
The net assets of the club increased to $29m ($16.2m in 2020) largely due to the ongoing infrastructure works progressing at RSEA Park.

St Kilda Chief Executive Officer Matt Finnis said the Club’s financial gains had been made possible via record-breaking membership growth for the second consecutive year, strong growth in commercial revenues and generous donor support combined with cost base reductions made in response to the COVID-19 pandemic.

“While the pressures and hardships of COVID-19 continued to be felt in 2021, our focus remained on executing our rebound strategy to emerge in a stronger position than when we first entered it,” Finnis said.

“The continued loyalty of our members throughout yet another challenging year of lockdowns and limited game access has been a key driving force behind our debt reduction and positive financial outcomes.

“We are incredibly grateful for the ongoing faith shown by not only our members, but our commercial partners for their support, as well as our coterie groups and Foundation supporters, who continue to generously invest in our future.

“Thanks to each of these groups, the club is forecasting a further substantial debt reduction in 2022, as part of a concerted effort to rid our club of historical debt and rebuild balance sheet strength.   

“Separately, we acknowledge the substantial investment from the Commonwealth and Victorian Governments who have supported the Club’s vision to create a legacy club and community asset in the form of the Danny Frawley Centre for Health & Wellbeing.

“The development of the Danny Frawley Centre will be a key driver of the future sustainability of St Kilda and will help connect the community via integrated physical and mental health facilities and programs.

 “I have full confidence that its impact on the community, St Kilda people and past players will be immediate, and we look forward to opening the doors of the centre in early 2022.

“We are hopeful for a less disrupted year in 2022 and cannot wait to reconnect with our loyal members and partners back at our homes of RSEA Park and Marvel Stadium.”

Key elements of the club’s 2021 financial results:

• The club reduced its debt by a record $4,264,806, reducing overall debt to $9,562,300.
  • The club operating profit before facility funding revenue, depreciation, amortisation and interest of $3,593,640 (2020: $1,246,930) and an overall statutory net profit of $12,809,844.
  • The club generated $42,599,271 in operating revenues at the same time as reducing its reliance on AFL funding – St Kilda’s variable distribution decreasing by $1.1m in comparison with 2019 levels.
  • The net assets of the club increased to $29,067,424 from $16,257,585 in 2020.
  • The club has recorded a second consecutive year of record memberships with 55,832 members in 2021, representing 14% growth on the 2020 tally of 48,775. 

Healey is a goose. Did the saints not take him back in the zoning days or something? He hates us.

Grew up a Saints supporter and still pays for memberships and puts in money outside of that. I've seen his name up when I've been looking for mine on things. I'm actually pleased that he still gives a s**t.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And here’s the full article.

St Kilda Football Club is pleased to confirm a series of positive financial results in publishing its 2021 Annual Report, headlined by a $4.3m reduction in club debt.

The club achieved an operating profit of $3.6m for the financial year ending 31 October 2021, however after accounting for facility funding revenue, depreciation, amortisation and interest, the club reported a statutory profit of $12.8m.

TOGETHER WE RISE: BECOME A 2022 MEMBER TODAY
The net assets of the club increased to $29m ($16.2m in 2020) largely due to the ongoing infrastructure works progressing at RSEA Park.

St Kilda Chief Executive Officer Matt Finnis said the Club’s financial gains had been made possible via record-breaking membership growth for the second consecutive year, strong growth in commercial revenues and generous donor support combined with cost base reductions made in response to the COVID-19 pandemic.

“While the pressures and hardships of COVID-19 continued to be felt in 2021, our focus remained on executing our rebound strategy to emerge in a stronger position than when we first entered it,” Finnis said.
“The continued loyalty of our members throughout yet another challenging year of lockdowns and limited game access has been a key driving force behind our debt reduction and positive financial outcomes.

“We are incredibly grateful for the ongoing faith shown by not only our members, but our commercial partners for their support, as well as our coterie groups and Foundation supporters, who continue to generously invest in our future.

“Thanks to each of these groups, the club is forecasting a further substantial debt reduction in 2022, as part of a concerted effort to rid our club of historical debt and rebuild balance sheet strength.   

“Separately, we acknowledge the substantial investment from the Commonwealth and Victorian Governments who have supported the Club’s vision to create a legacy club and community asset in the form of the Danny Frawley Centre for Health & Wellbeing.
“The development of the Danny Frawley Centre will be a key driver of the future sustainability of St Kilda and will help connect the community via integrated physical and mental health facilities and programs.

 “I have full confidence that its impact on the community, St Kilda people and past players will be immediate, and we look forward to opening the doors of the centre in early 2022.

“We are hopeful for a less disrupted year in 2022 and cannot wait to reconnect with our loyal members and partners back at our homes of RSEA Park and Marvel Stadium.”

Key elements of the club’s 2021 financial results:

• The club reduced its debt by a record $4,264,806, reducing overall debt to $9,562,300.
  • The club operating profit before facility funding revenue, depreciation, amortisation and interest of $3,593,640 (2020: $1,246,930) and an overall statutory net profit of $12,809,844.
  • The club generated $42,599,271 in operating revenues at the same time as reducing its reliance on AFL funding – St Kilda’s variable distribution decreasing by $1.1m in comparison with 2019 levels.
  • The net assets of the club increased to $29,067,424 from $16,257,585 in 2020.
  • The club has recorded a second consecutive year of record memberships with 55,832 members in 2021, representing 14% growth on the 2020 tally of 48,775. 

I don't want to downplay the amazing effort of running down debt in the middle of a pandemic but North Melbourne and St Kilda both paying down debt without gate takings makes me think there must have been a bit of government money coming in. We also pushed numbers around last year to push them into this one.

St Kilda believes a return to finals football next year will be spearheaded by its young talent
The Saints are confident they made the right draft and trade calls this off-season. So will they play finals in 2022? Here’s what they think will spark a climb.
Jon Ralph

St Kilda believes a return to finals football next year will be spearheaded by its young wave of talent and justify a barren trade period for Brett Ratten’s side.
The Saints strongly backed their draft rankings to secure the silky Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera, despite criticism from Brownlow medallist Gerard Healy that they should have taken local boy Josh Sinn.

On the second night of the draft, they were thrilled to secure NGA academy picks Mitch Owens, a 191cm fearless wingman, and Marcus Windhager, a powerful onballer, before nabbing 198cm Glenelg key defender Oscar Adams.

The Saints failed to make a deal across the trade period, after missing on North Melbourne ruckman Tristan Xerri, and eventually added ex-Roo Tom Campbell for ruck depth as a free agent.

But St Kilda list boss James Gallagher made clear the club’s improvement after a poor 2021 was always going to come from within.

“We know our improvement is coming from the young players on our list,” he said.

“We know there is a significant amount of improvement.

“(Jade) Gresham will come back and play this year, but (Rowan) Marshall has still only played 70 games and missed half the year, (Max) King has only played 40, (Cal) Wilkie hasn’t played a lot of footy. (Ben) Long, (Hunter) Clark, (Nick) Coffield, (Josh) Battle, all these boys who are only scratching the surface in their own careers who have played 40, 50, 60 players.

“That is where the large portion of our improvement will come from. If we get a fair run with injury that will help.

“But we know it’s primarily about growth. We tried to do a little bit in the trade period, very selective and we managed it really well with a focus on the draft and as you will hear from 17 other clubs we are very happy with how it went.”

Gresham’s torn achilles is fully healed but he will be eased back into training pre-Christmas to ensure he is ready for Round 1.

Healy said St Kilda should have weighed the flight risk of selecting South Australian Wanganeen-Milera at pick 11 when Vic Metro captain Sinn was available at the same time.

Sinn went to Port Adelaide with the next pick, after the Power traded up ahead of West Coast.

“Why would you take a wingman from interstate, with all the issues associated with it, when you have a kid in your own heartland – Josh Sinn – who is captain of Sandringham Dragons, captain of Vic Metro, and still available,” Healy told 3AW.

Gallagher said the club backed in its capacity to keep interstate players despite Healy’s critique.

“He wasn’t too far away, Josh, but geography doesn’t play a big role in our recruiting,” Gallagher said.

“We have got a club that people want to stay at. History has shown if they come to our club they don’t want to leave.

“Josh is a really talented player. Good kid, he has some upside, but we need to bring in elite talent to our club and we have done it.

“It is best available. We had (Nasiah) inside (pick 11). He is exceptionally talented, he is a beautiful mover, very light on his feet, very comfortably the best kick in the draft.

“That is something we need. Max King is pretty happy to have him at the club. He is a pretty skinny kid. There is enormous growth in him.”

St Kilda believes a return to finals football next year will be spearheaded by its young talent
The Saints are confident they made the right draft and trade calls this off-season. So will they play finals in 2022? Here’s what they think will spark a climb.
Jon Ralph

St Kilda believes a return to finals football next year will be spearheaded by its young wave of talent and justify a barren trade period for Brett Ratten’s side.
The Saints strongly backed their draft rankings to secure the silky Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera, despite criticism from Brownlow medallist Gerard Healy that they should have taken local boy Josh Sinn.

On the second night of the draft, they were thrilled to secure NGA academy picks Mitch Owens, a 191cm fearless wingman, and Marcus Windhager, a powerful onballer, before nabbing 198cm Glenelg key defender Oscar Adams.

The Saints failed to make a deal across the trade period, after missing on North Melbourne ruckman Tristan Xerri, and eventually added ex-Roo Tom Campbell for ruck depth as a free agent.

But St Kilda list boss James Gallagher made clear the club’s improvement after a poor 2021 was always going to come from within.

“We know our improvement is coming from the young players on our list,” he said.

“(Jade) Gresham will come back and play this year, but (Rowan) Marshall has still only played 70 games and missed half the year, (Max) King has only played 40, (Cal) Wilkie hasn’t played a lot of footy. (Ben) Long, (Hunter) Clark, (Nick) Coffield, (Josh) Battle, all these boys who are only scratching the surface in their own careers who have played 40, 50, 60 players.

“That is where the large portion of our improvement will come from. If we get a fair run with injury that will help.

“But we know it’s primarily about growth. We tried to do a little bit in the trade period, very selective and we managed it really well with a focus on the draft and as you will hear from 17 other clubs we are very happy with how it went.”

Gresham’s torn achilles is fully healed but he will be eased back into training pre-Christmas to ensure he is ready for Round 1.

Healy said St Kilda should have weighed the flight risk of selecting South Australian Wanganeen-Milera at pick 11 when Vic Metro captain Sinn was available at the same time.

Sinn went to Port Adelaide with the next pick, after the Power traded up ahead of West Coast.

“Why would you take a wingman from interstate, with all the issues associated with it, when you have a kid in your own heartland – Josh Sinn – who is captain of Sandringham Dragons, captain of Vic Metro, and still available,” Healy told 3AW.

Gallagher said the club backed in its capacity to keep interstate players despite Healy’s critique.

“He wasn’t too far away, Josh, but geography doesn’t play a big role in our recruiting,” Gallagher said.

“We have got a club that people want to stay at. History has shown if they come to our club they don’t want to leave.

“Josh is a really talented player. Good kid, he has some upside, but we need to bring in elite talent to our club and we have done it.

“It is best available. We had (Nasiah) inside (pick 11). He is exceptionally talented, he is a beautiful mover, very light on his feet, very comfortably the best kick in the draft.

“That is something we need. Max King is pretty happy to have him at the club. He is a pretty skinny kid. There is enormous growth in him.”

Did anyone inside the club actually say they were confident of 2022 finals or did the Herald Sun just make that up to increase the pressure on the club? I don't see anything about finals at all in the quotes, but maybe I missed it. I suppose improvement implies finals since we finished just outside them this year.

Personally I think if we don't make finals in 2022 Ratten, Rath and Gallagher should all pay with their jobs - you can't blame injuries when you pass on your two final draft picks and the rookie draft with the possible depth options left on the table.

Having said that, I'm confident that we will make finals, for these reasons:

• The false start of this year will be learnt from, regarding playing to the advantage of the current rules and playing a brand that the players can deliver - maybe they just needed another preseason more training before changing the methodology - plus most importantly not just trusting the players to run their own conditioning programme ffs.
  • We've been ruthless getting players like Dunstan, Lonie, Clavarino, Carlisle, Hunter plus Acres, Phillips, Mayo, Bell, Parker and so on out and we're getting skilled young players in to play the game the way Rath and Ratten want it
  • The young group who were high on their hub form and long-sought finals win has had a massive reality check
  • The majority of our players are moving closer to their prime rather than away from it
  • The newer leaders have a year's extra experience. Personally I would still swap a few members of that leadership group though.

Weighing everything up, when I strip the emotion from it, I think we'll be a lot better next year. My only concern is how much better the opposition teams will also be.

Last edited:
Jon Ralph

Do you know what station he was on?

I don't want to downplay the amazing effort of running down debt in the middle of a pandemic but North Melbourne and St Kilda both paying down debt without gate takings makes me think there must have been a bit of government money coming in. We also pushed numbers around last year to push them into this one.
Would like to know what you mean by that?

It's a Financial year. You may be able to push about Balance Sheet items but to have the actual cash to repay debt can't be faked.
Any revenue govt would have to be reported, only govt rev reported was for capital works and was reported.

Nice we capitalised 13 mill in assets and assets to debt ratio is impressive.

Will have a good look at the reports but as usual and always the statement of cash flow will tell the story.

It's a Financial year. You may be able to push about Balance Sheet items but to have the actual cash to repay debt can't be faked.
Any revenue govt would have to be reported, only govt rev reported was for capital works and was reported.

Will have a good look at the reports but as usual and always the statement of cash flow will tell the story.

I remember at the time some one said that we'd deferred some payment into 2021 FY to make the 2021 results look better. All I could find in a quick search was something about a membership deferral but could have been something else. I remember someone said it was a slight of hand hidden in a s**t COVID year that would boost the following years numbers.

I imagine that there was support for sporting clubs and job keeper type stuff coming in as support during lockdowns etc.

I remember at the time some one said that we'd deferred some payment into 2021 FY to make the 2021 results look better. All I could find in a quick search was something about a membership deferral but could have been something else. I remember someone said it was a slight of hand hidden in a sh*t COVID year that would boost the following years numbers.

I think it was the first month of the auto-renewal memberships started 1 month later than normal (as a result of the 2020 season not finishing until the end of Oct) so they ended up in this years financial results.

Did anyone inside the club actually say they were confident of 2022 finals or did the Herald Sun just make that up to increase the pressure on the club? I don't see anything about finals at all in the quotes, but maybe I missed it. I suppose improvement implies finals since we finished just outside them this year.

Personally I think if we don't make finals in 2022 Ratten, Rath and Gallagher should all pay with their jobs - you can't blame injuries when you pass on your two final draft picks and the rookie draft with the possible depth options left on the table.

Having said that, I'm confident that we will make finals, for these reasons:

• The false start of this year will be learnt from, regarding playing to the advantage of the current rules and playing a brand that the players can deliver - maybe they just needed another preseason more training before changing the methodology - plus most importantly not just trusting the players to run their own conditioning programme ffs.
  • We've been ruthless getting players like Dunstan, Lonie, Clavarino, Carlisle, Hunter plus Acres, Phillips, Mayo, Bell, Parker and so on out and we're getting skilled young players in to play the game the way Rath and Ratten want it
  • The young group who were high on their hub form and long-sought finals win has had a massive reality check
  • The majority of our players are moving closer to their prime rather than away from it
  • The newer leaders have a year's extra experience. Personally I would still swap a few members of that leadership group though.

Weighing everything up, when I strip the emotion from it, I think we'll be a lot better next year. My only concern is how much better the opposition teams will also be.
Agree there’s pressure on all three to get into finals, as there should be, but I wouldn’t be blaming them for not filling all list spots on the night.
As has been well documented some of these guys have had very little playing time over the past two years. More than likely we’ll invite a couple to train with us so we can get a close up look at them and no doubt leave one for the mid season draft - also a smart move.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back