News 2021 St.Kilda Media Thread

I think the playing group got ahead of themselves, it happens. How we learn from it is the most interesting part. Steele has gone to another level with the way he’s leading and his demands on his teammates. The 24-27yo group have been told in no uncertain terms to start delivering or ship off.

That's good news, about time we moved them on instead of contract extending anyone that wanted a retirement fund.

Leigh58

Saint1966-2021
Jun 7, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
That's just the nature of growth,imo, the higher intuition, 'Love the higher law' if you like! The way that correctness determines is right! Sometimes that is a good thing ,often in fact but not always.. Its the right thing and for the right reasons....notwithstanding that from time to time it will adversely effect chances for sure.
I respect your view Prophetic.
In my view which clearly takes into account my age
( born in the 1950s) there are certain principles:
Loyalty, commitment, pride...
Bleed for the jumper in every game. Be a role model to lesser players.
I accept that these principles are not as prioritized nowadays. (Further, we have never had much luck).
In terms of footy I have no faith in a higher law either, eg 2009, 2010, WBs, Melbourne instead of us etc.
The footy gods either do not exist or just hate us.

I think the playing group got ahead of themselves, it happens. How we learn from it is the most interesting part. Steele has gone to another level with the way he’s leading and his demands on his teammates. The 24-27yo group have been told in no uncertain terms to start delivering or ship off.
Told by Steelo or Ratts? Or “The Club”
I would hope Steelo.

Ads734

Premiership Player
Jan 24, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
Probably a lot, it's pretty much common sense but I ran my own PT business for a few years when I was younger and I know that poor preparation leads to increased risk of injury especially soft tissue, it seems like we just didn't put the work in to see out a season. I mean it's no wonder when you look at the fact they brought in a new high performance guy. That's a red flag in itself. We all knew as supporters as the season went on but maybe just didn't want to accept it. They're a bunch of idiots if they don't learn from their mistakes though and I assume they'll come back fit as anything in March.
Perhaps you may know more then me but I was concerned with injuries Gresh and Ro had ie chronic long term injuries both stress fractures prior to Gresham’s Achilles.

Perhaps you may know more then me but I was concerned with injuries Gresh and Ro had ie chronic long term injuries both stress fractures prior to Gresham’s Achilles.
Paton has a better chance to get back to his best form than Gresham.

prophetic1

Club Legend
Apr 18, 2013
b
AFL Club
St Kilda
I respect your view Prophetic.
In my view which clearly takes into account my age
( born in the 1950s) there are certain principles:
Loyalty, commitment, pride...
Bleed for the jumper in every game. Be a role model to lesser players.
I accept that these principles are not as prioritized nowadays. (Further, we have never had much luck).
In terms of footy I have no faith in a higher law either, eg 2009, 2010, WBs, Melbourne instead of us etc.
The footy gods either do not exist or just hate us.

I understand those feelings. I don't think its a matter of those principles not being prioritized its simply a matter of other additional principles emerging as equally as important.

Clubs by and large reflect what is happening in the community. My daughter has been a primary teacher for the last 15-20 years. Beyond the educational process, the principles that are cultivated, nurtured and encouraged at her school are ones that resonate around Tolerance, Acceptance, Understanding, Resilience, Respect and Culture. There is very much an awareness of Mental Health and welfare generally. These things are sewn into the fabric of the school ethos even at that level.
It is no wonder then that Football Clubs at the highest level not only emphasise the cornerstones of Loyalty, Pride, Commitment....and 'Bleeding for the Jumper" but manifestly identify with these other principles....

For example, where would we stand as a club, if we had demanded Paddy to play those first 5 or 6 games of the season? .. These other principles had to inform and modify the decision of how the club reacted in that situation. This will happen more and more as situations occur. Its not that players bleed any less for the jumper .... The world is just more complex.

I was equally taken aback regarding the prospect of loosing Georgia PATRIKIOS. I find it hard to believe that she would deprive her team mates of her obvious abilities...thinking her love of the jumper the team, the commitment..etc etc I found myself at loggerheads with the whole mentality........... .........Nonetheless it appears that way.....We have to be resilient, adapt, accept and respect as spectators and as lovers of the club....(not quite as old as you not that far away either)....but I struggle with it myself......Perhaps to many of the younger forumites it is just the way it is... I don't know!

It is very interesting Prophetic1. As someone that grew up in the 70's I'd kill for the education of today for my younger self. I honestly feel I've been successful despite the system I was educated in. My wife is a primary principal and I'm in awe of how she wants to educate children. How is that going to flow through to the players of the future? Going to be interesting to watch it evolve.

I'm with you on Georgia Patrikios in all your feelings. I guess the level of disappointment of 09 10 means now I'm prepared for whatever footy throws up in terms of results. That and I'm of the age that these players are my children's age so I see all the humanity that involves day to day. It's not as black and white as I once thought. It's us that need to adapt I feel...

prophetic1

Club Legend
Apr 18, 2013
b
AFL Club
St Kilda
It is very interesting Prophetic1. As someone that grew up in the 70's I'd kill for the education of today for my younger self. I honestly feel I've been successful despite the system I was educated in. My wife is a primary principal and I'm in awe of how she wants to educate children. How is that going to flow through to the players of the future? Going to be interesting to watch it evolve.

I'm with you on Georgia Patrikios in all your feelings. I guess the level of disappointment of 09 10 means now I'm prepared for whatever footy throws up in terms of results. That and I'm of the age that these players are my children's age so I see all the humanity that involves day to day. It's not as black and white as I once thought. It's us that need to adapt I feel...

Indeed!....I know from watching my daughter's career unfold, from listening and arguing at length with her just how profoundly important it is to her to integrate those principles and others into the greater education of her students. Primary teachers that I have become aware of through her and her school do a brilliant job. It is with great optimism that I view that flowing through to the future development of people across the board!

We are made aware that cycles exist on many levels and within many things of a cyclical nature there are revolving and evolving elements within themselves. I attempt to grasp it visually and in so doing observe all these sets of swirling notions being connected to an ever upward spiraling helix which by definition revolves and evolves and as the vortex turns all the elemental faculties become refined and defined, heading towards an ever more eloquently focused understanding....an infinite but singular point.........maybe even a moment of perfection!

Ultimately, just for me, ..upon the face of that infinitely beautiful moment there will be a firmly planted RED White and Black Premiership Flag. SAINTS PREMIERS 202????

bergholt

Good Ordinary Player
Mar 14, 2007
Brunswick
AFL Club
St Kilda

The grads and young people I've hired in the last 5-10 years have been getting more and more capable - not in specific technical skills, but in their meta-skills around knowing how to learn, communicate, and how to get the best performance out of themselves. If you can give them work that they believe in, they're way better than us old people. On the other hand, if you're a big company that can only give them unmotivating dross to work on then I think they'd be way worse. It's going to be an interesting evolution.

Jun 17, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda

prophetic1

Club Legend
Apr 18, 2013
b
AFL Club
St Kilda
In 2016 did any of these guys predict RICHMOND, having lost 14 games finishing 13th, would be premiers 3 out of the next 5 years?
In 2020 who of the commentators predicted the DEMONS who had lost 8 of the 17 games played in the shortened year finishing 9th were going to have the year that 2021 proved to be?
Surely its all just flapping lips/rubbish....declaring who can and can't over the next five years.

Last edited:

lewdogs

Cancelled
Saints Pledge Contributor
Jun 4, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Arsenal, Portland Trailblazers
Had a look at Fremantle beat last year. They beat one top 8 side, Sydney by two points.

Don't get the love for them at all.

In terms of us, when you look at who we've beaten I think we can definitely be put in a group that is in the hunt for finals. The question is can we improve enough to go into the top four equation.

prophetic1

Club Legend
Apr 18, 2013
b
AFL Club
St Kilda
I have no proclivity towards gambling but I would wager that when it comes to potential winnings the value bet would be with us. We'd have to get great odds at this stage to take that five year bet! I find it hard to imagine that we wont grab the cup in that time! Then again we certainly don't encourage a sense of certainty so its understandable that few outside the believers would believe! As some have said maybe that suits us fine!

11men1cup

All Australian
Jun 15, 2020
AFL Club
St Kilda
Had a look at Fremantle beat last year. They beat one top 8 side, Sydney by two points.

Don't get the love for them at all.

In terms of us, when you look at who we've beaten I think we can definitely be put in a group that is in the hunt for finals. The question is can we improve enough to go into the top four equation.
The issue with freo is their scoring. Taberner isn't good and the rest can't hit a barn door. I'm smitten on freo and have them in the 7-10 on the ladder. If Amiss can come on and hit the ground running, it'll help massively. Their midfield and defence are cracking. Just need to sort out their holes in the forwardline

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using BigFooty.com mobile app

bergholt

Good Ordinary Player
Mar 14, 2007
Brunswick
AFL Club
St Kilda
The issue with freo is their scoring. Taberner isn't good and the rest can't hit a barn door. I'm smitten on freo and have them in the 7-10 on the ladder. If Amiss can come on and hit the ground running, it'll help massively. Their midfield and defence are cracking. Just need to sort out their holes in the forwardline

Agree but 18 year old key forwards rarely make the difference - even the great man Coops Sharman was 21 before he really started dominating.

ST KILDA
St Kilda has reduced its debt by $4.3 million despite missing finals for the ninth time in 10 years in 2021.

The Saints on Friday announced the club had recorded $3.6 million profit for the year which, including facility funding revenue, interest and depreciation, totalled a $12.8 million statutory profit.

The outstanding financial result in a pandemic year has allowed the club, which now has the longest premiership drought in the game, to decrease its whopping debt to $9,562,300.

At the same time the Saints have decreased their reliance on AFL funding by $1.1 million compared to 2019.

Former coach Grant Thomas, who has been pushing for board change, has pointed to the significant debt as one of the club’s biggest issues along with its on-field performance and 55-year flag drought.

Next season shapes as a huge year for the Saints as Brett Ratten attempts to win a new contract and steer the club into finals after a 10-win season this year.

The club has embarked on a major upgrade of RSEA Park in Moorabbin which has become the club’s home again after the failed Seaford venture.

bergholt

Good Ordinary Player
Mar 14, 2007
Brunswick
AFL Club
St Kilda
Any of our older members recognise these roosters? The afl.com.au article only had four names so obviously they couldn't work it out.

Saints-running-in-stands.jpg

Back