Round 23 2021:
B: Redman - Zerk-Thatcher - Francis
HB: Ridley - Hurley - Ham
C: Langford - McGrath - Merrett
HF: Perkins - Stewart - Stringer
F: Jones - Eyre - McDonald-Tipungwuti
R: Draper - Shiel - Parish
I/C: Heppell - Caldwell - Smith - Cox

My round 5 side with everyone fit (If its Anzac Day yes im debuting Perkins and N.Cox)

Guelfi - Hurley/Ambrose - N.Cox
Z.Merrett - Francis - Ridley (Redman)
Heppell - Stringer - Langford (Perkins)
Parish - Stewart - Dev Smith
Tippa - P.Wright - Laverde (Snelling)
Draper - Shiel - A Mcgrath (Caldwell)

Unlucky: Ham. Id rather see Perkins and Snelling

The only difference from rounds 1-4 is id be playing both Hurley and Ambrose and Ham over Perkins. I just want to see the kids given time with the current situation

nga boys looking more likely to get a game based on them photos are decent sized

They don't have the profile but there is very good reason to be extremely confident about both players.

Brand played full back week in week out as a 17 year old and was solid to good. He seems to have lost momentum because of some mediocre testing earlier in the year and then missing the combine all together.

Eyre, on the other hand, is the beastmode of what he was last year. I suspect we might not have 2 or the 4 talls we just drafted if the year played out normally.

Surprised lots of people leaving Snelling out of their starting 22 - I think he’s a lock. I also have high hopes for Ham in 2021 and like the idea of our captain Heppell off half back

B: Ambrose BZT Ridley
HB: Heppell Hurley Hind
C: Merrett McGrath Ham
HF: Langford Stewart Snelling
F: Stringer Wright Tippa

R: Draper Parish Shiel

INT: Laverde Caldwell Perkins Francis

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Yeah I think I forgot about Snelling. Overlooked him, and not because of his height.

Not sure BZT, Hurley and Ambrose line up in the same side? Surely Francis complements the Hurley and Ambrose pair better.
The issue with that combo is that they're all 191-193 cm.

The issue with that combo is that they're all 191-193 cm.

Ambrose / BZT / Hurley is more samey than Ambrose / Hurley / Francis.

BZT can’t really play on the mediums, doesn’t offer a strong intercept mark or kicking presence, and isn’t really big enough to play on the Hawkins types, or the King types. Maybe he’s gotten stronger over the offseason though.

Just seems we’d have 3 guys playing a negating role, who aren’t strong intercept players, or great by foot, when we really only need two.

Ambrose / BZT / Hurley is more samey than Ambrose / Hurley / Francis.

BZT can’t really play on the mediums, doesn’t offer a strong intercept mark or kicking presence, and isn’t really big enough to play on the Hawkins types, or the King types. Maybe he’s gotten stronger over the offseason though.

Just seems we’d have 3 guys playing a negating role, who aren’t strong intercept players, or great by foot, when we really only need two.
I mean none of them can really but Hurley and Francis are very similar defenders

Who out of our new draftees will play the most games in 2021?
For me i think it will be Cox. Although he needs to fill out a bit he has elite endurance and can kick on both sides.
I predict he will get 11 games (which would be massive).

Who out of this list do you think will get the most games in 2021?
Gleeson, Ambrose, Ham, Guelfi and Clarke.
For me its Ham. I think he will go up a step in 2021

For me i think it will be Cox. Although he needs to fill out a bit he has elite endurance and can kick on both sides.

Perkins is my guess, as a half forward flanker.

If everyone on that list is fit, Ambrose is the only one who’s best-22 I’d think.

Guelfi seems to play most weeks when he’s fit, and could play as a small defender now McKenna & Saad are both gone.

Ham is probably competing with Cutler and Langford for 2 wing spots.

Gleeson and Clarke were lucky not to be delisted.

So it’ll probably be Gleeson.

Perkins and Ambrose (if fit)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Always a fun exercise..... assuming a fully fit list.

B francis*, hurley*, guelfi
HB ridley, ambrose*, heppell*
C parish, mcgrath, caldwell
HF langford, stewart, smith*
F stringer, wright, tippa
R draper, shiel, merrett
Int zaharakis, laverde*, redmond, ham
Emerg hooker*, clarke, snelling

* reasonably expect to be unavailable 5+ games due to injury

Always a fun exercise..... assuming a fully fit list.

B francis*, hurley*, guelfi
HB ridley, ambrose*, heppell*
C parish, mcgrath, caldwell
HF langford, stewart, smith*
F stringer, wright, tippa
R draper, shiel, merrett
Int zaharakis, laverde*, redmond, ham
Emerg hooker*, clarke, snelling

* reasonably expect to be unavailable 5+ games due to injury
You could quite easily put a * next to Stringer and Draper as well. If we had Daniher and Fanta still around that would be two more *... bringing the total to 11*

You wonder why we can’t compete through the whole season, when half of your best 22 are almost a lock to breakdown.

B: Francis - Hurley - Redman
HB: Hind - Ambrose - Ridley
C: Heppell - McGrath - Merrett
HF: Langford - Stewart - Snelling
F: Stringer - Wright - Tipungwuti
R: Draper - Shiel - Parish
I: Guelfi - Caldwell - Perkins - Smith

I've adjusted Bunks list for what I would do (with comments)
Ambrose is a superior player to BZT. BZT is not locking down any gorillas IMO, so go with the better player.
Smith to the Bench, Hind in to be a running defender. Laverde out.
Guelfi in for Ham.

B D.Smith B.Zerk-Thatcher A.Francis

HB J.Ridley M.Hurley M.Redman

C K.Langford J.Caldwell Z.Merrett

HF D.Parish J.Stewart A.Perkins

F A.Tipungwutti P.Wright J.Stringer

FOLL: S.Draper D.Shiel A.McGrath

INTER: D.Heppell, D.Zaharakis, N.Hind, W.Snelling

B D.Smith B.Zerk-Thatcher A.Francis

HB J.Ridley M.Hurley M.Redman

C K.Langford J.Caldwell Z.Merrett

HF D.Parish J.Stewart A.Perkins

F A.Tipungwutti P.Wright J.Stringer

FOLL: S.Draper D.Shiel A.McGrath

INTER: D.Heppell, D.Zaharakis, N.Hind, W.Snelling
I could be wrong but I still think Hooker makes best 22 team for all of 2021 when fit

I suspect we might not have 2 or the 4 talls we just drafted if the year played out normally.

It was going to be a win/win if the year played out normally. Even if we had of got 6, 7 and a second for Joe. The draft would have been very different but we still would have filled holes all over the list

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Because he has the best hands and is a good kick in general. We're bloated with KPP's now so for at least next year I think Cox plays on a wing whilst the others play bits and pieces forward and back.

Hooker & Hurley are older than Father Xmas and will need managing for significant periods every season from here out.

Wright is no good.

There's 3 opportunities for Cox to play his natural spot, which I think would be more beneficial to him than out of position.

Wright is no good.

Disagree. The below is a very good article about him.

Basically Stuart Dew seems to play favourites and pick Sam Day irrespective of how good Wrights form is, and how poor Days is.

He may be no superstar, but I'd expect him to be a passable AFL level forward. He's averaged 5.0 marks and 1.3 goals / game over his career, which is really all we need him to do.

For comparison, that's a ~29 goal season, or, more goals than Joe Daniher has kicked in the last three seasons combined.

Wright simply needs to be in the team each week to straighten us up and he'll be doing enough.

Disagree. The below is a very good article about him.

Basically Stuart Dew seems to play favourites and pick Sam Day irrespective of how good Wrights form is, and how poor Days is.

He may be no superstar, but I'd expect him to be a passable AFL level forward. He's averaged 5.0 marks and 1.3 goals / game over his career, which is really all we need him to do.

For comparison, that's a ~29 goal season, or, more goals than Joe Daniher has kicked in the last three seasons combined.

Wright simply needs to be in the team each week to straighten us up and he'll be doing enough.

There's nothing in that article that changes my opinion of him not being up to AFL standard.

All that article is doing is having a crack at Dew's coaching for not developing Wright into a passable AFL forward & doesn't really focus on him as a player at all.

It does mention him as a confidence player, who in a building team at GC, had more down games than good.

He's lobbed into another 'building' situation here and it doesn't bode well for him or us.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back