Autopsy 2021 Swans Vs Giants Elimination Final. Lost by 1 point

Remove this Banner Ad

Really disappointing loss as everyone has said, but what a great year. Exciting footy, great young players coming through, older players leading from the front & a great ruck find. We must do what we have too to keep our top uncontracted players. The loss could in the long run be better than a win as the group will have learnt alot which reinforces the standards needed to move through the final rounds of a season. Come on next year.

People say “bad kicking is bad football” all the time but does it actually mean anything?

I see little evidence any player in the history of the game is actively not trying to kick goals.

Every player works obsessively on their goalkicking.

And if they don’t, every club uses relentless performance reviews and would quickly identify a player’s need to work more on their goalkicking.

I guess “bad football” could describe instances where a player elects to take a set shot from a difficult distance/angle rather than looking for a teammate in a better possie. Or some of those decisions taken in open play in the heat of the moment that weren’t the best option in hindsight.

But otherwise, I’m not convinced it actually has any validity. What happened on Saturday was a mix of two things: less-than-optimal decisions that were made (but hardly “bad football”).

And just simple rotten luck. People have real difficulty getting their heads around the concept of random chance.

People say “bad kicking is bad football” all the time but does it actually mean anything?

I see little evidence any player in the history of the game is actively not trying to kick goals.

And if they don’t, every club uses relentless performance reviews and would quickly identify a player’s need to work more on their goalkicking.

I guess “bad football” could describe instances where a player elects to take a set shot from a difficult distance/angle rather than looking for a teammate in a better possie. Or some of those decisions taken in open play in the heat of the moment that weren’t the best option in hindsight.

But otherwise, I’m not convinced it actually has any validity. What happened on Saturday was a mix of two things: less-than-optimal decisions that were made (but hardly “bad football”).

And just simple rotten luck. People have real difficulty getting their heads around the concept of random chance.
"Bad kicking is bad football" if you have a set shot 20 metres out and miss its ordinary. Bell should have kicked the goal. I doubt he purposely tried to miss the goal and hit the post because that would rely on a level of skill beyond him. Given Heeney was kicking from tight angles the conditions didn't impact him and is just an excuse for others. At the end of the day some players aren't up to it. Bell isn't AFL standard. No amount of goal kicking practice will change it. Nothing to do with rotten luck.

It's okay to have shots at practice when no one is on the mark . You must keep your head over the footy and watch it on your foot pointing to your target . Gawn has always been a bit of a dodgy kick , but last week he kept his head down and kicked through it .

"Bad kicking is bad football" if you have a set shot 20 metres out and miss its ordinary. Bell should have kicked the goal. I doubt he purposely tried to miss the goal and hit the post because that would rely on a level of skill beyond him. Given Heeney was kicking from tight angles the conditions didn't impact him and is just an excuse for others. At the end of the day some players aren't up to it. Bell isn't AFL standard. No amount of goal kicking practice will change it. Nothing to do with rotten luck.
And then just the other week we had Sam Reid lining up for a set shot and Jason Dunstall, who knows a thing or two about kicking goals (and wouldn't hesitate to share his opinion if he felt Reid was doing something wrong), mentioned he'd been watching Reid in admiration doing goalkicking practise before the game, methodically slotting through goal after goal from all manner of angles with pinpoint precision.

And Reid promptly missed badly.

Is that "bad football"?

What could Reidy possibly do to play "good football" that he wasn't already doing?

IMO bad kicking is bad football.

If Lloyd kicks in from the last line of defence and his risky corridor kick is cut off by an opposition forward and promptly turned into a shot at goal. That's bad football.

If Dawson fires a missile from HB to a leading marking target down the line but puts too much juice on it and it sails over the targets head. That's bad football.

If Florent kicks inside 50 and just launches a long bomb high to no forwards' advantage, and it's cut off by the opposition's intercept defender. That's bad football.

Every goal is the result of a passage of kicks and handballs that either find their target or they don't. Just because the shot at goal is the final kick in that passage, doesn't mean it being poorly executed should be any more excusable than if one of the kicks earlier in the passage was poorly executed.

That said, the shots at goals on Saturday were not horrendous. As I said earlier, so many just missed by inches, or curled the wrong way at the last second, or hit the post.

I say this, and yes it does. The aim in footy is to be ahead of the other team at the final siren. To do this, kicking goals is fundamental (as well as stopping the oppo doing the same obviously). If you're bad at goal kicking as a team, or have poor periods like that last qtr, then you're playing some bad footy. It doesn't matter what you do to get the ball down there if you can't finish it off.

I'm not going to hang any players on it from the weekend mind you.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I say this, and yes it does. The aim in footy is to be ahead of the other team at the final siren. To do this, kicking goals is fundamental (as well as stopping the oppo doing the same obviously). If you're bad at goal kicking as a team, or have poor periods like that last qtr, then you're playing some bad footy. It doesn't matter what you do to get the ball down there if you can't finish it off.

I am , Bell and Hayward !

But given there’s not a thing anyone can do about it, isn’t calling it bad football just unnecessary scapegoating of players who were clearly giving their all?

But given there’s not a thing anyone can do about it, isn’t calling it bad football just unnecessary scapegoating of players who were clearly giving their all?
Don't know anyone that would go out there and give their all , some are just not good enough .
I wonder whether we have gone home to Sydney with all the families in South Yarra

IMO bad kicking is bad football.

If Lloyd kicks in from the last line of defence and his risky corridor kick is cut off by an opposition forward and promptly turned into a shot at goal. That's bad football.

If Dawson fires a missile from HB to a leading marking target down the line but puts too much juice on it and it sails over the targets head. That's bad football.

If Florent kicks inside 50 and just launches a long bomb high to no forwards' advantage, and it's cut off by the opposition's intercept defender. That's bad football.

Every goal is the result of a passage of kicks and handballs that either find their target or they don't. Just because the shot at goal is the final kick in that passage, doesn't mean it being poorly executed should be any more excusable than if one of the kicks earlier in the passage was poorly executed.

That said, the shots at goals on Saturday were not horrendous. As I said earlier, so many just missed by inches, or curled the wrong way at the last second, or hit the post.

Well I think all of those examples can be categorised as either less-than-optimal choices in the heat of battle, or forgetting absolute basics for the same reason. Mistakes made under pressure.

Every single player will be trying to learn from that searing experience. They may succeed in the long run, or they may fail (and separating out individual failures from group failures is a Gordian knot; good luck to everyone with that).

But to me branding that can of worms as “bad football” is at best stating the bleeding obvious, and at worst unnecessarily recriminatory.

There might be some mental training that players can do, kicking mechanics etc if someone trends towards bad goal kicking or kicking in general. Maybe some won't improve and their benefit is measured in other ways mainly, that's fine, but it doesn't stop a missed shot being a 'bad' thing.

But I guess are we debating the word 'bad' and what it means? I mean I'd say it's anything in a game that's clearly a mistake or a poor choice that hinders us or helps the other team get more points. Saying something was bad doesn't mean I'm slagging off a player. E.g. I think George Hewett does some 'bad' things on the footy field and I love the guy, will die on the hill of saying we need to keep him, rate him highly etc. The likes of Buddy, Dusty et al do some 'bad' things.

Saying something is bad footy doesn't equate to abuse of the player or scapegoating (I'm not singling anyone out, we kicked 11 behinds on the weekend and there were plenty of flubbed plays in what I saw, that never even led to a score). I'm not some self-professed hardnut who kids himself that I could do better, but we're not handing out participation awards here, things are allowed to be good/bad at AFL level.

There might be some mental training that players can do, kicking mechanics etc if someone trends towards bad goal kicking or kicking in general. Maybe some won't improve and their benefit is measured in other ways mainly, that's fine, but it doesn't stop a missed shot being a 'bad' thing.

But I guess are we debating the word 'bad' and what it means? I mean I'd say it's anything in a game that's clearly a mistake or a poor choice that hinders us or helps the other team get more points. Saying something was bad doesn't mean I'm slagging off a player. E.g. I think George Hewett does some 'bad' things on the footy field and I love the guy, will die on the hill of saying we need to keep him, rate him highly etc. The likes of Buddy, Dusty et al do some 'bad' things.

Saying something is bad footy doesn't equate to abuse of the player or scapegoating (I'm not singling anyone out, we kicked 11 behinds on the weekend and there were plenty of flubbed plays in what I saw, that never even led to a score). I'm not some self-professed hardnut who kids himself that I could do better, but we're not handing out participation awards here, things are allowed to be good/bad at AFL level.
Good post mate. Yes, probably does come down to one’s definition of the word “bad” but my concern is there could be a level of personal blame loaded in there and I don’t like that.

My perception is also possibly coloured by having just finished Brandon Jack’s book, and one takeaway I got from that is that even someone who only ever managed to play 28 senior games worked his guts out relentlessly, and the same seems to go for every one of his teammates, be it seniors or reserves.

Good post mate. Yes, probably does come down to one’s definition of the word “bad” but my concern is there could be a level of personal blame loaded in there and I don’t like that.

My perception is also possibly coloured by having just finished Brandon Jack’s book, and one takeaway I got from that is that even someone who only ever managed to play 28 senior games worked his guts out relentlessly, and the same seems to go for every one of his teammates, be it seniors or reserves.
Yeah I mean I work an office job, have never played any competitive sport aside from footy/cricket in primary school and table tennis in high school (dizzying heights I know). I have no idea what it's like at being a professional footy player or any sportsperson. But I guess 'below expected level of kicking at AFL level, relative to the other team / other players in similar roles, either in single match/period or overall, which generally trends toward less than favourable game results (i.e. a good or bad outcome)' is a bit more of a mouthful than 'bad kicking is bad footy', so we usually go with that.

Anyone who makes it onto an AFL list, potentially some speculative Cat B rookies aside, is not 'bad' at footy full stop, when compared to the general population. Everyone deserves kudos to making it that far, whether they debut or not, play 1 or 400 games.

Yeah actually Campbell does strike me as a quiet type, sounds very tentative in interviews.

But then I remember on one of those podcasts, someone mentioned he and Errol were a bit of a crazy pair, so maybe not!

While he was rehabbing his injury mid way through the season, I kept seeing Instagram stories of him dancing on tables at parties, with a karaoke mic

'Eye training' is one area that I think has the potential to improve decision making.

Not uncommon in baseball, but the article above is a project with a Liverpool and England player, already renowned for his passing ability, and achieved notable improvement.

Another longer article on the same topic and player;

And sadly the last coaches votes for the year;

10 Isaac Heeney (SYD)
6 Josh Kelly (GWS)
6 Luke Parker (SYD)
4 Harry Perryman (GWS)
2 Jesse Hogan (GWS)
2 Tim Taranto (GWS)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back