MVP 2021 Syd Barker Medalist - Jy Simpkin - Congrats Jyza

Remove this Banner Ad

LDU 5th not to bad if he can get about 10% fitter he will kill it.
I think the ceiling is scary.. He has the ability to rip the comp a new a-hole! we have many young kids with massive ceilings.. I doint think CZ is close to his either. We are in for a beauty run. Lets hope 2023 is a confidence boosting year!

Atley just knocks out his standard 15-20th placed finish from near the whole season played, again.
he's been a good servant, but given that 3 different coaches have been unable to get him to flourish and play good consistent footy, probably says that we over rated him as a first round draft pick.

he's been a good servant, but given that 3 different coaches have been unable to get him to flourish and play good consistent footy, probably says that we over rated him as a first round draft pick.
Atley is the definition of good, consistent footy. Its why everyone cans him. They expect excellent consistent footy, like Simpkin this season.

Atley is the definition of good, consistent footy. Its why everyone cans him. They expect excellent consistent footy, like Simpkin this season.
Consistently good is a stretch, mate. He's been consistently there and that's about it. From memory, that's now a single top 10 Syd Barker finish in 234 games across 11 seasons. I respect that for much of that time he's been a decent roleplayer but I wouldn't say he's been a consistently good AFL footballer.

Maybe if we played in the middle, just saying.

For much of his career we have had a midfield populated by slow and one-paced players. It seems that if a player with Atley's pace was capable of doing the job they would have played him in the midfield in a flash.

No they don't. But generally when you have a 200+ game player you expect them to have been in your top half a dozen players at some point in that 10+ year career.

Jack has been canned across the board by some sections of the supporter base, but at least he's still managed multiple top 5 B&F finishes in multiple positions.

Have a troll through the 10-20 place getters from the last 5 or 6 Syd's. It's littered with guys who were given zero latitude and turned over the minute their form dropped. Some like Gibson were delisted following top 10 finishes.

Hell, look at Dumont. 2 top 4 finishes in the previous 4 seasons and he's on the chopping block

We discussed this a few months ago in another thread, Atley's average B&F finish at the club is 14th. Jack Mahoney and Bailey Scott finished 14/15th this year as a point of reference...

Scott's experiment with him in the middle lasted about 3 games. He looked absolutely hopeless in there. He screams a guy with every physical gift you could ask for, but the wheel turns extremely slowly upstairs with ball in hand, that definitely rings true when he's pressured at AFL level.

I'm not going to s**t on the bloke, because he's at least been durable as anything, but I honestly can't think of another 200+ game player (from any club) that's managed the consistent game time after being consistently in the bottom 6-8 players for close to a decade. The scary thing is the amount of games he's played since debut and his age. If he had been half decent for the last few years he was a nailed on 300+ game player. He only needed 4 more season and he's just turned 29.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Special mention for David King, he’s a decisive figure around this site but I recon this puts it to bed. Must be highly respected at the club to have been given the honour of co hosting the night and I rechecked did a cracking job, especially around the handling of the Cunnington interview.
on ya kingy!

Yep. Been a massive critic of him, but he's all but stopped the snidey GC jabs, and he's actually been one of our biggest supporters the last few years. Def happy to move on as his heart is in the right place now.

I think the ceiling is scary.. He has the ability to rip the comp a new a-hole! we have many young kids with massive ceilings.. I doint think CZ is close to his either. We are in for a beauty run. Lets hope 2023 is a confidence boosting year!

The fitness to provide actual defensive running is the key here. He was a real weapon offensively this year, but he is choosing when to go defensively because his fitness is building to the point it needs to be to be in order for him to be considered elite.

Was pleased for Jack but it's disappointing Aaron Hall didn't get an outright podium finish to boost his confidence after an excellent season.

Consistently good is a stretch, mate. He's been consistently there and that's about it. From memory, that's now a single top 10 Syd Barker finish in 234 games across 11 seasons. I respect that for much of that time he's been a decent roleplayer but I wouldn't say he's been a consistently good AFL footballer.
That is good by definition.

If he wasn't any good he wouldn't have played that many games.

That is good by definition.

If he wasn't any good he wouldn't have played that many games.
Well of course 'good' needs a relative context. Is it good compared to the average AFL career, which is about three years? Sure. But is 234 games in 11 years, with a single top 10 Syd Barker finish, for a team with an average finishing position in that time in the bottom 10 the type of good that we should be aiming for as a football club? Absolutely not. Is it good in comparison to the other players that have played for the club during that period? I wouldn't necessarily say so. If you're consistently outside the best 10 players of an average to bad team over an 11 year period, I woiuldn't say that's good. It's the definition of mediocre.

No they don't. But generally when you have a 200+ game player you expect them to have been in your top half a dozen players at some point in that 10+ year career.

Jack has been canned across the board by some sections of the supporter base, but at least he's still managed multiple top 5 B&F finishes in multiple positions.

Have a troll through the 10-20 place getters from the last 5 or 6 Syd's. It's littered with guys who were given zero latitude and turned over the minute their form dropped. Some like Gibson were delisted following top 10 finishes.

Hell, look at Dumont. 2 top 4 finishes in the previous 4 seasons and he's on the chopping block

We discussed this a few months ago in another thread, Atley's average B&F finish at the club is 14th. Jack Mahoney and Bailey Scott finished 14/15th this year as a point of reference...

Scott's experiment with him in the middle lasted about 3 games. He looked absolutely hopeless in there. He screams a guy with every physical gift you could ask for, but the wheel turns extremely slowly upstairs with ball in hand, that definitely rings true when he's pressured at AFL level.

I'm not going to sh*t on the bloke, because he's at least been durable as anything, but I honestly can't think of another 200+ game player (from any club) that's managed the consistent game time after being consistently in the bottom 6-8 players for close to a decade. The scary thing is the amount of games he's played since debut and his age. If he had been half decent for the last few years he was a nailed on 300+ game player. He only needed 4 more season and he's just turned 29.
If he didn't play good footy he wouldn't get a game. Its that simple.

I remember once when snake baker came back after years away. We had video and still of Atley's play, one where he takes off runs, stops and does the deer in the headlights thing. No one was running with him and no one was moving upfield. How is a player like him sposed to deal with that? Another time the only guy moving with him was Marley, in his first season here.

Pretty sure that was 2017, the year Richmond won the comp by running in numbers. this season just gone there was a point where Stevo took off with the ball and ended up kicking it to Zurhaar and unfortunately play broke down. LDU and someone else were running out of the backline with Stevo and it looked like a good piece of play till they stuffed it up. How often in Ats' career has anyone run with him like that? I can't remember a single time.

You can't put that on him, its the coaching staff and other players who ****ed that up.

In one of our games early this year 90% of our scoring shots we had in the first quarter were from Atley winning the ball and initiating scoring chains.

I've seen game day threads where other players with blonde hair (Higgo in particular) * it up and people were bagging Atley for it. He is no world beater but he is a good, honest and consistent player who doesn't get injured.

Well of course 'good' needs a relative context. Is it good compared to the average AFL career, which is about three years? Sure. But is 234 games in 11 years, with a single top 10 Syd Barker finish, for a team with an average finishing position in that time in the bottom 10 the type of good that we should be aiming for as a football club? Absolutely not. Is it good in comparison to the other players that have played for the club during that period? I wouldn't necessarily say so. If you're consistently outside the best 10 players of an average to bad team over an 11 year period, I woiuldn't say that's good. It's the definition of mediocre.
If all of our bottom tier players held his standards over that time we'd have been a better performed side.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back