Remove this Banner Ad

BGman

Club Legend
Jun 20, 2018
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Dragons, Blues, Tassie Tigers
Marsh has peaked, all downhill now. Push him down the order as a finisher. Warner and Finch in woeful form. Can not afford to carry passengers in a world cup. Give Inglis a crack next match. Great white ball bowling by Haze and Cummo. Best I've seen him bowl in white ball.
Smith has been too circumspect, he places a lot of pressure on the other batsmen with his slow play.
Have a think about it. Smith has no choice but to play the anchor as we have such a brittle top 3. Without him we'd likely have lost that game. Besides he was traveling at a run a ball so had things well in control. If these three veterans continue on their present path heaven help our chances for even the finals. Time to make some hard decisions CA.

Why wasn't our new classy kit worn?

Last edited:

Blue Arrow

Club Legend
Feb 22, 2019
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
The Renegades, Vics
Smith might be playing the Border/Good Waugh role. Back up if/when the top order fails & we need a rescue job.
Looks like we might need him a lot with this 1-3.

Freezin

Club Legend
Nov 28, 2007
Aotearoa
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
East Freo
Think Marsh cashed in all his form tickets on the WI and Bangladesh tours....but as JL says..."runs are currency"'...pity that doesn't apply to the openers.....I guess with multiple opportunities both Warner and Finch will make at least one decent score....then JL will sit back and say "I told you so".

If Aust is going to have any chance of winning this, they need to get creative....open with Inglis, play Swepson, if it means dropping an ego here and there, so be it.....3 wins over SL, WI, Eng and Bangladesh should see progression.....though that's going to be a tough ask.....well played Stoinis and Wade getting the win.....I bagged Wade earlier, still think Inglis is the better option.....as for Stoinis, has promised so much for so long, about time he delivered.....may it continue for the rest of this comp.

Westend

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 28, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
Marsh has peaked, all downhill now. Push him down the order as a finisher. Warner and Finch in woeful form. Can not afford to carry passengers in a world cup. Give Inglis a crack next match. Great white ball bowling by Haze and Cummo. Best I've seen him bowl in white ball.

Have a think about it. Smith has no choice but to play the anchor as we have such a brittle top 3. Without him we'd likely have lost that game. Besides he was traveling at a run a ball so had things well in control. If these three veterans continue on their present path heaven help our chances for even the finals. Time to make some hard decisions CA.

Why wasn't our new classy kit worn?

Baggs its still only one game....I would give him another shot at three and use Smith in the floating role. The issue is finchie/warnie are woefully out of form and Mitch is coming in all the time with the score 1 for F88k all

I thought mitch was okay .....two reverse sweeps he timed but unfortunately went straight to the fielder ..one metre either side and he would of had two fours and he is away and credit to South africa bowlers....Rabada and Nortje serious pace at the start (side note Nortje reminds me of Pattinson when he first started similar action)

There where signs that Warner looked more positive but I get frustrated that both of them take an over to get in....we cannot afford that in this format they need to be switched on from the start

Also guess what we played three quicks and we won....I stated before the game that's our strength...so I was happy with that...but we cannot do it every game need to assess the conditions and go for 2 quicks or three....it was great to see maxi get through 4 to give us that option

Plus wade played the best game i have seen him in ages.....he was actually very good with the gloves and he showed intent with the bat....can he do it again thats his challenge

Overall it was a good game for us ...work to do of course but its not the end of the world

Bring on Sri Lanka

Perhaps to many of us are under estimating how difficult the pitch was to bat on.
Appeared to be easier to score runs early in the Power Play with harder ball & less field out.

Our problem is we don't have an opener in good form to take advantage of this.

We may need to consider changing our opening combination.

Oct 3, 2010
Sydney
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chicago Cubs
Appeared to be easier to score runs early in the Power Play with harder ball & less field out.

Our problem is we don't have an opener in good form to take advantage of this.

We may need to consider changing our opening combination.
Wade and Stonis are both openers in the Big Bash League. Play Captain Finch lower down the batting order and send Warner home.

gtrxuone

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 20, 2014
W.A.
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
The Black Ducks
Jeez looking at the wicket.Look a really weird colour.A little two paced also.We had to work hard to overrun SA total.Both teams bowled and fielded well.We where lucky we had Stonis and Wade there at the end,two very experienced t20 batsman.

BStaff17

Premiership Player
Aug 1, 2016
Sydney
AFL Club
Fremantle
I can't see this team getting to 160 with the form they are in atm unless maxwell tees off and gets 80 off 40 balls.

So we will be relying on the bowlers.

I reckon swepson is the worth the gamble.

Teams wouldn't have seen a lot of him and reckon it can work in the tournament play especially as you just play teams once so batsman wont get chance to read him and learn from previous encounters

Sea fog

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 24, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
We might not be very good but who else is? We should be beating Bangladesh and SL who had to go through Qualifying. Yeah I know we aren’t guaranteed to beat them but end of the day they are not great sides either and WI are in terrible form.

It’s cool to say we won’t go through but reality is we are a big shot. Sure we will likely crumble in a semi but good chance to get there.
Our side a bit more loaded though with Scotland and Namibia in the other group who are both non-test playing nations.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Manbearpig77

Club Legend
Dec 12, 2020
AFL Club
West Coast
Nearly had a heart attack at the end there, but I'll take a win anyway they come in this tournament.

I was pleasantly surprised that JL changed up his tactics with the team selection at the last minute. Actually paid off.

The real concern is the top 3. For me, you drop Warner if he fails against SL and open with Wade. Bring in either Agar or Inglis depending on what the pitch is like.

Winning the toss is unbelievably integral too. For the second half of both IPL's held in the UAE, 77% have been won by the team chasing.

Mikevk123

Premiership Player
Jun 25, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
Need to change up the line up ASAP and make it more versatile.
in- Inglis, Agar
Out- Cummins, Wade

1. Warner
2. Stoinis
3. Maxwell
4. Smith
5. Marsh
6. Finch
7. Inglis
8. Agar
9. Starc
10. Zampa
11. Hazlewood

Mikevk123

Premiership Player
Jun 25, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
Why… why would you drop Cummins and retain Starc?

Rotate the team. Cummins is pretty good but I think Starc has the runs of the board in this format. We have four pace options if you factor in Stoinis and Marsh.

If Mitch Marsh is gonna spud it up batting he has to bowl.

BGman

Club Legend
Jun 20, 2018
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Dragons, Blues, Tassie Tigers
The issue is finchie/warnie are woefully out of form and Mitch is coming in all the time with the score 1 for F88k all
Marsh is not called Levers for nothing. That is why he is better value as a finisher. Smith has to be #3 as our only quality anchor. Two go early then Smithy steadies the ship. Marsh is not a steadier he is a hitter so put him where he'll do the most damage. Tho your idea using Smithy in a floating role makes sense as you ain gonna bat him if we go one down for 100 from say 10 overs and we need a pinch hitter. As much as I get a chuckle from Smudge's forehand smash to a shortie, he aint no pinch hitter. Marsh is.

QUOTE="Mikevk123, post: 72734726, member: 197897"]
Cummins is pretty good but
[/QUOTE]
One of the IPL teams offered him $2.3m? Dont follow this tournament ..so how did he go. Was he value for money or did the team feel cheated as they outlaid so much money on him. We all rate Cummo as our best red ball bowler.. prob world best.. but he is way down the scale in white ball.
Yes Starc does have credits in the bank but they are running low now as he is losing that x factor fast. The big surprise is the emergence of Josh Hazlewood. Taken a while but he now seems to have nailed how to bowl in this format.
both Warner and Finch will make at least one decent score....then JL will sit back and say "I told you so".
You could also be talking about Maxwell over the years in big series with that scenario. He just may be in some consistent WC form this time round. Hope so as he is one of our few decent players of spin.

Last edited:

Westend

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 28, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
Marsh is not called Levers for nothing. That is why he is better value as a finisher. Smith has to be #3 as our only quality anchor. Two go early then Smithy steadies the ship. Marsh is not a steadier he is a hitter so put him where he'll do the most damage. Tho your idea using Smithy in a floating role makes sense as you ain gonna bat him if we go one down for 100 from say 10 overs and we need a pinch hitter. As much as I get a chuckle from Smudge's forehand smash to a shortie, he aint no pinch hitter. Marsh is.

I think you will find baggs ....is that if we get off to a good start with the openers that number 3/4/5 will be for the power hitters and smudge will come in down the order

It would not surprise me if we are 0/60 odd maxie comes in followed by mitch then stoin

It all depends on game situation ...but the issue is the opening pair atm which needs to be addressed

Atm I like having a power hitter in the top three ala mitch with Smith at four who can be the anchor and rotate against the spin which smith does well

QUOTE="Mikevk123, post: 72734726, member: 197897"]
Cummins is pretty good but
One of the IPL teams offered him $2.3m? Dont follow this tournament ..so how did he go. Was he value for money or did the team feel cheated as they outlaid so much money on him. We all rate Cummo as our best red ball bowler.. prob world best.. but he is way down the scale in white ball.
Yes Starc does have credits in the bank but they are running low now as he is losing that x factor fast. The big surprise is the emergence of Josh Hazlewood. Taken a while but he now seems to have nailed how to bowl in this format.
[/QUOTE]

Marsh has been fantastic at 3 all year. Him and Smith should interchange depending on circumstances. If we get a start, Marsh comes in otherwise, Smith does.

As for Cummins he was good in the first half of the IPL but didn't play the second half. He like 75% of our squad looks like they are half match fit. We needed to pick more players who were in the IPL, was it any surprise our best four players in game 1 were Stoinis, Hazelwood, Smith and Maxwell....all four played in the IPL in the last half.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back