List Mgmt. 2021 Team & Beyond...

Cronin

Cancelled
Jul 22, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Seattle Supersonics
I agree they don't want to play Sav/Hawk/Cameron in the same fwd line but I don't see much other choice given our kpd options aren't quite ready
I'll be pleasantly surprised if they play both Stanley and Ratugolea in the same team.

Cronin

Cancelled
Jul 22, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Seattle Supersonics
How else do you squeeze in a ruck rotation with Blitz on the backline. I'll be pleasantly surprised if they can get can maintain a Blitz/Stanley combo
You play Henderson at FB and Blicavs at CHB where he gives Stanley a chop out while Kolo or Henry cover the 2nd KPF, just like Astbury did for Richmond.

Don't get me wrong I'd prefer Stanley and Sav rucking together with Blicavs playing solely in defence, I just think It'd be a big change in the mentality of this MC given they were reluctant to play Ratugolea at all let alone after we've just added Cameron.

You play Henderson at FB and Blicavs at CHB where he gives Stanley a chop out while Kolo or Henry cover the 2nd KPF, just like Astbury did for Richmond.

Don't get me wrong I'd prefer Stanley and Sav rucking together with Blicavs playing solely in defence, I just think It'd be a big change in the mentality of this MC given they were reluctant to play Ratugolea at all let alone after we've just added Cameron.
Yeah I kinda don't trust Kolo for the role but maybe I'm out of line there

Sav is rucking with Stanley, on and off the bench.
I could see SS play as a small pressure forward.

With only 75 rotations i dont think you can clog a bench spot with a ruck Sav either plays forward when hes not rucking or doesnt play at all. Blitz is different as he can play wing or defence when not rucking.

I think Simpson would do ok as a small forward but hes not quick..his best asset is vision in trafgic so is better in midfield. Rohan/dahl/miers/atkins/close etc are all quick so give you better forward pressure to balance out having an extra tall forward.

With only 75 rotations i dont think you can clog a bench spot with a ruck Sav either plays forward when hes not rucking or doesnt play at all. Blitz is different as he can play wing or defence when not rucking.

I think Simpson would do ok as a small forward but hes not quick..his best asset is vision in trafgic so is better in midfield. Rohan/dahl/miers/atkins/close etc are all quick so give you better forward pressure to balance out having an extra tall forward.
The Simpson I saw in finals was quick. Anyway, we have lots of options.
Incidentally, We had used 50 rotations by half time GF. No wonder we were stuffed . And 2 injured ineffective players....

Even though he's a midfielder?

We already have 2 pressure forwards in Rohan and Dahlhaus with Rohan in particular being of extra value because he can mark overhead.
Rohan was played as our high marking CHF, and yet again, failed. I have been a patient fan of his, but the GF was really poor. Rohan and Cameron I don't think will work.

Time to start planning without him at the forefront, unless he is in rare form. And he does owe us.

Duncan isn't great aerially so that's going to be an issue. He's arguably our best kick and a great decision maker so I'd prefer him hitting up our forwards from a wing etc. Should be good to watch.

I'm not sure where the premise that Tuohy is a poor defender comes from. He's tough and disciplined, doesn't lose his feet, is strong aerially for a mid-size player, has a turn of speed, and has excellent disposal by foot.

Defenders will be afforded an extra 5m next year on kickins. Tuohy can hit targets from 50m and is clearly one of our best options for this critical role in 2021.
Looks inept against dangerous forwards, coughs up the ball, and has been moved away from defence. Apart from that, agree with your description of him. Plus we have him for a while yet, so I suspect he is top 22 for CS, and that's what counts.

Parfitt- broken thumb- early injury, and he is our best tackler.

And could see with Parfitt that after he returned to the field late the first quarter, following the first tapping up of his thumb, that he tried to lay a tackle close to the boundary line, and there was no power or strength in that hand as he couldn't hold the tackle & instead grabbed his hand in pain

How he still managed to lay 7 tackles for the game I'm not sure - 4 tackles came in the 3rd quarter, so I'm guessing he was given a jab at half time which helped his 3rd quarter effort.

His 4th quarter was 1 kick for 1 turnover, & considering he only played like 51% TOG, thinking he sat on the bench for most of the last

Cronin

Cancelled
Jul 22, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Seattle Supersonics
Rohan was played as our high marking CHF, and yet again, failed. I have been a patient fan of his, but the GF was really poor. Rohan and Cameron I don't think will work.

Time to start planning without him at the forefront, unless he is in rare form. And he does owe us.
Rohan will be the 3rd tall behind Hawkins and Cameron, while still being able to apply small forward pressure; I'm backing him in next year.

Shadow89

Cancelled
10k Posts AFL Fantasy Div 6+ Winner 2021
Feb 20, 2018
Following up from previous posts -

Reckon Tsapatolis in and Narkle retained, means the writing is likely on the wall for Brownless (justified) and one of Tarca or Jarvis (unfortunate)

Think we still take 1 or 2 other picks in this draft, given how shallow it will be - also a chance some serious talent could be available in the rookie draft too given just how few kids will be taken in the national draft.

Thinking our list looks something like this prior to the draft:

1 Stanley
2 Tuohy
3 Parf
4 S. Higgins
5. J. Cameron

6 Clarky

8 Kolo
9. I. Smith
10 Jarvis (reckon it's Tarca that gets let go - Jarvis to be rookie listed)
11 Jenkins
12 Coop

14 Sel
15 Kreuger
16 SDK
17 Rata
18 Constable
19 Narks (rookie)

22 Dunc
23 Rohan
24 Bews
25 Hendo (1 year contract - Senior List)
26 Hawk
27 Menegola
28 Fort (rookie)
29 Guth
30 Atkins
31 Evans
32 Miers

35 Danger
36 Tsapatolis (Cat B)
37 Simmo
38 Henry
39 Zuthrie (rookie)
40 Dahl
41 Taheny
42 O'Connor
43 Okunbor (Retain Cat B)
44 Stewie
45 Close (rookie upgrade - Senior List)
46 Blics

Total: 35 Senior Listed Players/4 Rookie Players/2 Cat B Players

Delisted/Retired/Traded: 10 Players - Parsons, Kennerley, Schlensog, Ablett, Taylor, Steven, Brownless, Fogarty, Cockatoo, Tarca

Incoming Players thus far: 4 Players - Cameron, Higgins, I. Smith, Tsapatolis

List Spots Remaining: 3 (can be made up of 3 Senior/2 Senior 1 Rook/2 Rook 1 Senior/3 Rooks - Numbers remaining: 7, 13, 20, 21, 33, 34

Most likely situation sees us take 2 players in the 2020 draft, leave one spot open for a Macreadie type to take prior to the season/a player in next year's mid-season draft.

Pretty happy with that if that's what eventuates, IMO. That list is much stronger than it was, and gives us scope to move. If we take no-one, a chance we retain Tarca or Brownless, but can't see that happening to be honest - given just how few picks will be taken.

Mar 14, 2009
AFL Club
Geelong
Looks inept against dangerous forwards, coughs up the ball, and has been moved away from defence. Apart from that, agree with your description of him. Plus we have him for a while yet, so I suspect he is top 22 for CS, and that's what counts.
I'd apply that description to quite a few of our other defenders that have had bags kicked on them and routinely kick the ball out on the full or turn it over under essentially no pressure.

I wouldn't consider Tuohy inept by any stretch and can't remember any bags kicked on him. Sure he's not immune from the odd mistake but he's generally reliable and pretty solid week to week (when fit).

He would be our best kick in defence after Stewart and I'd be staggered if he doesn't return there in 2021 given our clear deficiencies back there by foot and the fact Higgins / Smith will most likely usurp his role up forward that was by and large unsuccessful in 2020.

Following up from previous posts -

Reckon Tsapatolis in and Narkle retained, means the writing is likely on the wall for Brownless (justified) and one of Tarca or Jarvis (unfortunate)

Think we still take 1 or 2 other picks in this draft, given how shallow it will be - also a chance some serious talent could be available in the rookie draft too given just how few kids will be taken in the national draft.

Thinking our list looks something like this prior to the draft:

1 Stanley
2 Tuohy
3 Parf
4 S. Higgins
5. J. Cameron

6 Clarky

8 Kolo
9. I. Smith
10 Jarvis (reckon it's Tarca that gets let go - Jarvis to be rookie listed)
11 Jenkins
12 Coop

14 Sel
15 Kreuger
16 SDK
17 Rata
18 Constable
19 Narks (rookie)

22 Dunc
23 Rohan
24 Bews
25 Hendo (1 year contract - Senior List)
26 Hawk
27 Menegola
28 Fort (rookie)
29 Guth
30 Atkins
31 Evans
32 Miers

35 Danger
36 Tsapatolis (Cat B)
37 Simmo
38 Henry
39 Zuthrie (rookie)
40 Dahl
41 Taheny
42 O'Connor
43 Okunbor (Retain Cat B)
44 Stewie
45 Close (rookie upgrade - Senior List)
46 Blics

Total: 35 Senior Listed Players/4 Rookie Players/2 Cat B Players

Delisted/Retired/Traded: 10 Players - Parsons, Kennerley, Schlensog, Ablett, Taylor, Steven, Brownless, Fogarty, Cockatoo, Tarca

Incoming Players thus far: 4 Players - Cameron, Higgins, I. Smith, Tsapatolis

List Spots Remaining: 3 (can be made up of 3 Senior/2 Senior 1 Rook/2 Rook 1 Senior/3 Rooks - Numbers remaining: 7, 13, 20, 21, 33, 34

Most likely situation sees us take 2 players in the 2020 draft, leave one spot open for a Macreadie type to take prior to the season/a player in next year's mid-season draft.

Pretty happy with that if that's what eventuates, IMO. That list is much stronger than it was, and gives us scope to move. If we take no-one, a chance we retain Tarca or Brownless, but can't see that happening to be honest - given just how few picks will be taken.
I like it. Recommend leaving spots open for the mid season draft too

I'd apply that description to quite a few of our other defenders that have had bags kicked on them and routinely kick the ball out on the full or turn it over under essentially no pressure.

I wouldn't consider Tuohy inept by any stretch and can't remember any bags kicked on him. Sure he's not immune from the odd mistake but he's generally reliable and pretty solid week to week (when fit).

He would be our best kick in defence after Stewart and I'd be staggered if he doesn't return there in 2021 given our clear deficiencies back there by foot and the fact Higgins / Smith will most likely usurp his role up forward that was by and large unsuccessful in 2020.
Good to read different perspectives and impressions of the same player.
I believe from reading posts here tonight, that mine are incorrect.

Nov 12, 2002
AFL Club
Geelong

Prelim Final, 2017.He played on Cameron who murdered us and kicked 5.

He has never been a lockdown defender. Was very good at providing drive. I don’t know how good he is at that anymore. Had one minute of trying to mind Martin in the Grand Final and fell over giving up a goal.

Prelim Final, 2017.He played on Cameron who murdered us and kicked 5.

He has never been a lockdown defender. Was very good at providing drive. I don’t know how good he is at that anymore. Had one minute of trying to mind Martin in the Grand Final and fell over giving up a goal.

Was it only last year that Tuohy started the having knee troubles? I know he had a delayed start to last season and didn't play his first senior match until round 6

Something's sitting in the back of my mind that since the issues that he hasn't really been the same player, that aspects like his long kicking & drive from the back line hasn't been the same

He's probably one of the best 22 players at the club, but not sure if he's in our best 22 in terms of team balance - but I see value in having him on the list

Was it only last year that Tuohy started the having knee troubles? I know he had a delayed start to last season and didn't play his first senior match until round 6

Something's sitting in the back of my mind that since the issues that he hasn't really been the same player, that aspects like his long kicking & drive from the back line hasn't been the same

He's probably one of the best 22 players at the club, but not sure if he's in our best 22 in terms of team balance - but I see value in having him on the list
If you want penetration on kicking from HBF I know a certain young sandgroper who might be up for it

Nov 12, 2002
AFL Club
Geelong

I reckon you're on to something there, and that timeframe sounds about right where he just hasn't been the same. I suppose that's what age and wear and tear does gradually, to everyone in one way or another.

Sep 29, 2013
The 'switch
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Hockeyroos

Nice summary.

I think he's one of those players that the coaches love for his toughness - which won me over when watching him off the ball at the Gold Coast - but I do suspect that that, coupled with his off-field charm, disguise the fact that he was not an outstanding contributor this year. If he does get another two years (which I think he has??) then he's done very, very well. Even if it were a known injury, recovery is never certain. Personally I'd much rather Clark on the wing, for the drive and speed and the long bomb goals. Tuohy did do that, but as you point out, not for some time.

Shadow89

Cancelled
10k Posts AFL Fantasy Div 6+ Winner 2021
Feb 20, 2018

Agreed with all that. It's why I don't necessarily think he'll be automatically selected next year, but rather, he's been retained as he's an absolute class act and can pretty much play anywhere you need him - wing, defence, forward etc. - if injury strikes.

Would also think that acting as a mentor to the Irish boys helps his case a fair bit as well

Back