List Mgmt. 2021 Team & Beyond...

Remove this Banner Ad

Chin up, you are a relative newb. I've had reservations on a few players over the years including Mark Blake, Taylor Hunt, Billy Smedts, George Horlin-Smith and Jordan Murdoch. Lets just say that the prognostications are generally realized. ;)

Funny Bews is already a better player than everyone you've listed there.

Who was the guy that was obsessed with Varcoe? I can't remember his name. Egg on his face too.

Agreed. I still don’t get why there are posts suggesting that they want Dahl (or Tuohy) dropped before the 2021 seasons done. I think Dahl is a lot better than people give him credit for.

He’s intelligent and works well within his limitations. But it’s not unreasonable to point out those limitations are massive.

He’s not quick, can’t mark overhead, and isn’t a long kick. As soon as someone better comes along he could be replaced.

Can’t question his effort though.

So the number 5 jumper is now vacant, and with the famous history behind the number, it holds a very special place in the hearts of Cats supporters. We held off on returning the number to general circulation after Gaz Snr retired, and it remained on the shelf after Gaz Jnr chose #29 instead. In 2006 the number was given to a young Travis Varcoe, and in 2014 to Nakia Cockatoo.

I don't think it's lost on anyone that the number is a significant one that we should give to someone special, someone truly deserving of the number. With that in mind, are there any thoughts on who that person might be? Is it a young draftee, is it Jeremy Cameron, is it someone already on the list? Does the number return back to general circulation, do we hold off on awarding the number until there's someone special for the number? Or, do we permanently retire the number, and like in US sports, hang the number from the rafters of GMHBA Stadium to honour Polly, Gaz and all the owners of #5.

In our game the number plays on. I think. Gathers more history -storied or ordinary.

IMO , the best of the kids in 2020 as judged by GFC would suit me - if that youngster was happy to carry the honour/burden.

They have had little going for them so far.

O'Connor, Clark, Close, Stephens, DeKoning, Simpson, Evans. Not just anyone but someone on the up as the number becomes available.

Cameron? No.4.

I would hold onto the no.5 if I were the club.
I think we are in for a lot of mid table years coming up after 2022 and during that period, we will have an opportunity to recruit a few top 10 draft picks. Perhaps give the famous number to one of those highly touted draftees.

So the number 5 jumper is now vacant, and with the famous history behind the number, it holds a very special place in the hearts of Cats supporters. We held off on returning the number to general circulation after Gaz Snr retired, and it remained on the shelf after Gaz Jnr chose #29 instead. In 2006 the number was given to a young Travis Varcoe, and in 2014 to Nakia Cockatoo.

I don't think it's lost on anyone that the number is a significant one that we should give to someone special, someone truly deserving of the number. With that in mind, are there any thoughts on who that person might be? Is it a young draftee, is it Jeremy Cameron, is it someone already on the list? Does the number return back to general circulation, do we hold off on awarding the number until there's someone special for the number? Or, do we permanently retire the number, and like in US sports, hang the number from the rafters of GMHBA Stadium to honour Polly, Gaz and all the owners of #5.
I would leave it on the shelf. Offer it to a player who has played on it list and earned it a few years from now

Funny Bews is already a better player than everyone you've listed there.

Who was the guy that was obsessed with Varcoe? I can't remember his name. Egg on his face too.

Bews is very much in the Taylor Hunt mould; an honest battler that managed to eke out over 100 AFL games but was eventually usurped by more talented footballers.

he used to play like there's no tomorrow at the Kennel, but at the Cattery has become weary and wiser.
Playing like an older player? Desperation is diminished, experience gives one a full range of inputs , the ups and downs.. and experience teachs one to stay away from the downs by being more careful. Old stocker brokers , older race car drivers ... they all tend lose the taste for extreme OTT risk.

I actually don't think thats the issue with him, i think he is just running out of talent , and rabid frenetic play cant get it done anymore. Prefer others

Yes. General circulation.

Given that it has been already used for several years post Ablett senior, it's a bit late to retire it.
Varcoe was a really worthy recipient of that number; injuries prevented him being a super player for us.
Why not give it to a genuine gun of the AFL who may well accept the privilege appropriately.
Cameron is the biggest recruit we have picked up for some time, since Danger was given an almost equally prestigious number (35- Goggin and Chapman will be all-time Cats legends)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

he used to play like there's no tomorrow at the Kennel, but at the Cattery has become weary and wiser.

That's what happens with age unfortunately.
I get the feeling he's content and would be very happy to still be playing in the top league in the country.

That is where we have our major deficiency in my opinion. Too many players at the club are content and enjoying life. Not enough hatred in many of them. Beaten in the finals and we are just as likely to finish 5th-8th in 2021 after an agonizing loss on the final day.
Richmond were tormented in the 2018 finals and had the desire to leave absolutely everything out there the following season.

Same deal with Geelong of 08, that made them hungrier and more driven to succeed.

That's what happens with age unfortunately.
I get the feeling he's content and would be very happy to still be playing in the top league in the country.

That is where we have our major deficiency in my opinion. Too many players at the club are content and enjoying life. Not enough hatred in many of them. Beaten in the finals and we are just as likely to finish 5th-8th in 2020 after an agonizing loss on the final day.
Do you mean 2021?
That is better than what has happened to both other teams that played Tigers in the 17 GF, and 19GF.

Do you mean 2021?
That is better than what has happened to both other teams that played Tigers in the 17 GF, and 19GF.

Maybe.
I think GWS have shown enough in every final they have played to suggest they have it in them to go the extra hard yards. 2019 was an embarrassment of epic proportions but they are still young and have a few more years to contend. Understanding that 2020 was a very mixed season for many clubs. Watch for them to bounce back with a vengeance next year.

Maybe.
I think GWS have shown enough in every final they have played to suggest they have it in them to go the extra hard yards. 2019 was an embarrassment of epic proportions but they are still young and have a few more years to contend. Understanding that 2020 was a very mixed season for many clubs. Watch for them to bounce back with a vengeance next year.
I will expect many teams to bounce back next year, including Clarko's Hawks and GWS.

I dont think much will change re the competing clubs next year

Richmond back at the MCG are going to be mighty hard to beat

I just cant see any team jumping out of the pack - because theve got too many holes in their list

Port - Stk - Bulldogs Lions not sold on them at all - Coll look in disarray - Haw look shot - Eagles are like Geel - good players ( Kennedy Shuey Hurn ) are getting a bit long in the tooth

Carl and Ess when are they actually going to come good - their both still a fair way off it

Fremantle is the only team that i think will make a significant improvement next year

Is there actually an example of it working anywhere? Sheedy/Cameron probably but that was a very specific situation. I don't think any of Malthouse/Buckley, Roos/Goodwin, Woosha/Rutten have worked at all, am I missing any? I can't remember if Longmire was heir apparent while Roos was still there but he's a success if so.
No reason not to just go best available when going for a new coach. In the fairly unlikely event that the best candidate is already at the club then so be it.
NOBLE would have been a great choice

Finally settled on the 22 I'd like to see in 2021

Jack Henry Mark Blicavs Mark O'Connor
Tom Stewart Lachie Henderson Zach Tuohy
Mitch Duncan Patrick Dangerfield Sam Menegola
Rhys Stanley Brandan Parfitt Cameron Guthrie
Quinton Narkle Jeremy Cameron Shaun Higgins
Gryan Miers Tom Hawkins Luke Dahlhaus
INT: Joel Selwood Jordan Clark Isaac Smith Charlie Constable

Finally settled on the 22 I'd like to see in 2021

Jack Henry Mark Blicavs Mark O'Connor
Tom Stewart Lachie Henderson Zach Tuohy
Mitch Duncan Patrick Dangerfield Sam Menegola
Rhys Stanley Brandan Parfitt Cameron Guthrie
Quinton Narkle Jeremy Cameron Shaun Higgins
Gryan Miers Tom Hawkins Luke Dahlhaus
INT: Joel Selwood Jordan Clark Isaac Smith Charlie Constable
Can not see Bews and Kolo out with Narkle and CC in. Both from MC pov, and my pov. But time will tell.

Can not see Bews and Kolo out with Narkle and CC in. Both from MC pov, and my pov. But time will tell.
Harsh for Bews I admit but I think only one of Henry/Kolo in the team at any one time is for the best, it makes for strong depth as well.

Harsh for Bews I admit but I think only one of Henry/Kolo in the team at any one time is for the best, it makes for strong depth as well.
They play very different roles. I can see Bews as a full-time small lock down player, but Henry can and has been a utility, and we need that sort of versatility. They are both very quick and strong physically.

They play very different roles. I can see Bews as a full-time small lock down player, but Henry can and has been a utility, and we need that sort of versatility. They are both very quick and strong physically.
I was unclear, I meant to say only one of Henry or Kolodjashnij in the team at the same time which is why I left out Kolo in my 22. Bews was unlucky to be left out but I think Tuohy can play the small lockdown role and Clark takeover Tuohy's roles further up the field.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back