2021 Tour de France

Remove this Banner Ad

Smart from Carapaz.

Next decade of Vingegard, Pogacar, Evenepoel, Geoghan Hart, O'Connor, Hindley and Bernal will be brilliant to watch. I am definitely overrating Hindley but I don't care. Hope all of them plus Roglic are doing the Vuelta.

Huh? They regularly mention him. Strange post.

Not when I've been watching.
Cavendish and Matthews are the big rivalry as far as Matt Keenan is concerned imo.
The fella from Aquinas is getting mentioned, but nothing like those I mentioned.
Strange commentary

Not when I've been watching.
Cavendish and Matthews are the big rivalry as far as Matt Keenan is concerned imo.
The fella from Aquinas is getting mentioned, but nothing like those I mentioned.
Strange commentary
Well Cav vs Bling has been a decent rivalry in the points classification. O'Connor has been mentioned regularly ever since the stage he won.

It's only a competition because Cav can't climb.
Yes, and? Look, Cav has Green all but wrapped up but it's still been interesting

18 map.jpg
18 profile.jpg
After the brilliant win of Tadej Pogacar at col du Portet, it’s hard to expect the Tour de France to be turned upside down in the last Pyrenean stage but the riders have yet to climb two giants: the Tourmalet via La Mongie and Luz Ardiden. The yellow jersey holder felt “pure joy” when he recognized his girlfriend and his parents on the road side 5km before the end yesterday but he’s more likely to let a breakaway go after that. It’s the last chance for Colombians to make it up for the frustration. Rigoberto Uran is no longer in the top 3 overall. Nairo Quintana has failed to conquer the polka dot jersey where he won three years ago. Has Miguel Angel Lopez kept all his energy for this day? Tourmalet and Luz Ardiden can hardly disappoint…

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Another Pog win might win him the Polka Dot jersey. It'll be interesting to see if it ends up being something he goes for so he can repeat his triple jersey win of last year (Yellow, White, Polka Dots)
Another win would almost guarantee him the Polka Dot jersey. The only chance for Poels to prevent this, is to be the first rider over the Tormelet (and hope that the breakaway is big enough that there are no points left when the peloton come through).

Another Pog win might win him the Polka Dot jersey. It'll be interesting to see if it ends up being something he goes for so he can repeat his triple jersey win of last year (Yellow, White, Polka Dots)
I hope not. I hope the break gets established early and Poels/Quintana/Woods gets it.

I hope not. I hope the break gets established early and Poels/Quintana/Woods gets it.
There's probably more chance of that happening tonight. Last night was all about UAE putting on a show of strength, after the crap they'd been copping in the media. They wanted to be the dominant team in the peloton, and for Pog to have a dominant win on the summit. They achieved both objectives.

Tonight there's no such motivation, so they could very well allow the breakaway more latitude than they did last night.

The race tonight will be for the podium spots. I'd still expect plenty of action even if UAE just follow wheels.
Pog has yellow all sewn up, but there's only 4 seconds separating Vingegaard (2nd) and Carapaz (3rd); similarly, there's only 17 seconds between Uran (4th) & O'Connor (5th), with Kelderman (6th) 28 seconds behind. These riders still have a lot to race for, even if the golden fleece is out of reach.

Time trial can change things again
I thought that as well, but it wasn't as much change as I thought it would.
This ITT is 3kms longer so that has to come into consideration too

Current RankRiderCurrent gapLast ITTestimate
1TADEJ POGACAR
0​
0​
0​
2JONAS VINGEGAARD
+0.03​
+0.27​
+0.30​
3RICHARD CARAPAZ
+0.04​
+1.44​
+1.48​
9RIGOBERTO URAN
+1.49​
+1.08​
+2.57​
5BEN O'CONNOR
+1.26​
+1.56​
+2.82​
6WILCO KELDERMAN
+1.40​
+1.49​
+2.89​
4DAVID GAUDU
+1.19​
+2.14​
+3.33​
7PEIO BILBAO
+1.44​
+2.08​
+3.52​
12ALEXEY LUTSENKO
+2.53​
+1.00​
+3.53​
10DYLAN TEUNS
+1.49​
+2.07​
+3.56​
11ENRIC MAS
+2.27​
+1.49​
+3.76​
8SERGIO ANDRES HIGUITA
+1.49​
+2.45​
+3.94​
17MATTIA CATTANEO
+4.46​
+0.55​
+5.01​
15RUBEN GUERREIRO
+3.55​
+2.09​
+5.64​
14LOUIS MEINTJES
+3.41​
+2.56​
+5.97​
13GUILLAUME MARTIN
+3.39​
+3.15​
+6.54​
16JHOAN ESTEBAN CHAVES
+4.56​
+3.03​
+7.59​
18WOUTER POELS
+5.26​
+2.41​
+7.67​
20BAUKE MOLLEMA
+7.27​
+1.47​
+8.74​
19JONATHAN CASTROVIEJO
+6.38​
+5.29​
+11.67​

Time trial can change things again
Here are the results of the top-6, from the earlier TT. Note that the earlier TT was shorter, but had more climbing - so I wouldn't expect the results to be exactly the same this time around:
1 - Pogacar
3 - Vingegaard (+00:27)
13 - Uran (+1:08)
23 - Carapaz (+1:44)
27 - Kelderman (+1:49)
31 - O'Connor (+1:56)

Vingegaard is a much better TT rider than Carapaz, so he just needs to finish with him tonight.

O'Connor probably needs to beat Uran by a minute tonight, if he's any chance of holding him off in the TT. O'Connor would probably want to put time into Kelderman tonight too, to give him an extra buffer ahead of the TT.

The team at TDF;

Remove this Banner Ad

Back