2021 Tour de France

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 17, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Three weeks to go... just as we get over the late nights from the Giro, with the stalwarts following the Dauphine.

Stage 1, 198km, 6 categorised climbs, with the last 3km including portions at 14%.

Who are the Giro riders backing up who might have a chance?

Oct 12, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
Ineos got some big decisions to make. Thomas does not look capable of even a podium at this point. Richie is still riding very well but doesn't have the burst to go with the Slovenians. Carapaz doesn't have the TT to win. Hart maybe doesn't see himself as a domestique which is fair given he has won a GT. Adam Yates must be wondering why the hell did he move to this team. Too many chief's in this setup.

For as the opening stage, looks like a perfect stage for Sagan or Matthews. Not sure if Sagan will do the double again, might reload and go for the Vuelta.

I know everyone says they've gotten a better team than last year but I'm not convinced UAE have the domestiques for Pogacar this year. Last year was perfect for him, he didn't have the team around him so he knew he just had to go with Roglic and try to beat him on the TT. It was also a much weaker field than this years. This year there is a lot more pressure on him as defending champion. He's a superstar though, so I can see him doing the same this year or not even making the top 5 haha.

As far as Ineos is concerned, they've selected a very unbalanced squad. Porte says he's just a domestique but his form is better than Geraint's, he hammered Carapaz last year, Geoghan Hart did win the Giro last year but it was the weakest field since I've followed cycling. Those are four genuine potential GC candidates if they wanted to think that way. Rohan Dennis, Luke Rowe and Michael Kwiatkowski will do a great job, but I do wonder about the balance

For me, Roglic is in form, won literally everything at a strong Itzulia Basque Country, in a field with Pogacar, Adam Yates, Gaudu (this kid is going to be better than Bardet IMO), Landa, Chaves, Carthy, Buchmann and Carapaz. Bloody strong field. He's the one to beat for me.

Oct 12, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
Its only Tour of Slovenia and the field isnt strong but UAE has been very strong as a team. Pogacar is looking in very good shape.

Speaking of Froome, he's expected to start TdF as 2nd rider behind Michael Woods on Israel Startup, and concentrate on getting fit for the Vuelta.

He needs to move careers into used car sales, will make a killing.

Oct 12, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
Cav has just timed his next payday to perfection. On paper his win tonight looks great in a star field, and it wasnt a lucky wheel or chance win, he was the fastest in the race. But Groenewegan has had a mechanical and couldnt change gears, Ewan got badly out of place and gave up, the Lotto lead out guy nearly took out a bunch of riders. The sport has given him a lot yet when asked by LeFev does he want to race another tour his answer was apparently 'not on this salary'. He's still a selfish dickhead. 4 stage wins from Merckx and the best lead out train in the business, he should be offering to ride for free.

He is on UCI minimum wage, no bonuses because no one expected him to win anything.

LeFevre can insert a win bonus - Cavendish maybe on the UCI minimum wage but is supplemented by personal sponsorship.

Richard Cranium

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2008
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
PHX
<koff> Vader inbound at high speed with comment about UK Postal <koff>

:)

Speaking of Froome, he's expected to start TdF as 2nd rider behind Michael Woods on Israel Startup, and concentrate on getting fit for the Vuelta.
This really needs to given the campaigner treatment. Change it from UK Postal to 'Vader's favourite ever group of jolly good chaps' or something. Although considering he's the only person on the planet who uses it/finds it clever, the effect may not be that strong.

Maybe just ban drugs talk in general.

Nov 17, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Absolutely agree, hence the <koff> around it. It got old fast and I got thoroughly sick of it. From memory I stepped on it a year ago. One of the reasons I was made mod here was to do something about every second post being about who was juicing and who had the best gear. ******* tiresome.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oct 12, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
Is Hamilton really looking at top 10 GC with that squad? Feel like there isn't enough climbing support for him if Chaves and Yates are chasing stage wins.

Really odd team. No support for Matthews, Chaves and Yates I think only 2 mountain top finishes so I dunno what stages they think they are a chance at. I think I read that Mezgec has been given the green light to chase stages as well.

Really odd team. No support for Matthews, Chaves and Yates I think only 2 mountain top finishes so I dunno what stages they think they are a chance at. I think I read that Mezgec has been given the green light to chase stages as well.
Matthews actually has a really good support cast in theory with Juul Jensen and Grohndal Jansen, the pair are perfect for chasing breaks in those middle mountain stages (as is Mezgec actually if he wants CJJ to be leading him out) and then if they're gonna go with Mezgec on the flats it's the same except with Matthews as the lead out.

I'm a little disappointed that they haven't gone full support for Matthews/Mezgec for this and load up for a Hamilton/Chaves/Yates trio at the Vuelta though.

Matthews actually has a really good support cast in theory with Juul Jensen and Grohndal Jansen, the pair are perfect for chasing breaks in those middle mountain stages (as is Mezgec actually if he wants CJJ to be leading him out) and then if they're gonna go with Mezgec on the flats it's the same except with Matthews as the lead out.

I'm a little disappointed that they haven't gone full support for Matthews/Mezgec for this and load up for a Hamilton/Chaves/Yates trio at the Vuelta though.
Having a few hours to reflect on this, I think a better squad would have omitted Yates and Mezgec for this race to focus on the Vuelta and to split the team in half essentially, instead using guys like Bookwalter and Grmay as genuine domestiques for Hamilton. Juul Jensen, Grondahl Jansen and Durbridge essentially riding for both but mainly Matthews who goes for basically anything remotely like a sprint.

So the 1-8 would be Matthews, CJJ, AGJ, Durbridge, Hamilton, Bookwalter, Gmay, Chaves

Is Hamilton really looking at top 10 GC with that squad? Feel like there isn't enough climbing support for him if Chaves and Yates are chasing stage wins.

They should have selected Kangert or Zeits to support Hamilton - They could have left Juul-Jensen who is backing up from the Giro.

Rojer_Ramjet

Senior List
Jun 11, 2006
Library
AFL Club
Essendon
Gday,

Anyone like having a wager on the KOM?

Martin has been backed solidly.
I think the profile suits a non GC contender?
Will have a small amount on Fuglsang who has a license to roam this year.

Also anyone to the TDF fantasy with Tissot?

1624410562125.png

Gday,

Anyone like having a wager on the KOM?

Martin has been backed solidly.
I think the profile suits a non GC contender?
Will have a small amount on Fuglsang who has a license to roam this year.

Also anyone to the TDF fantasy with Tissot?

View attachment 1161597
It's really the toughest one to have a wager on. It'll depend on whether guys like Ala want it or if someone loses a lot of time early. Simon Yates could even chase it if he felt like it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back