List Mgmt. 2021 Trade & List Management Thread I

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nutjob

Premiership Player
Oct 23, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
A gun tall forward without a gun midfield group is useless.

A gun midfield without a gun tall forward is useless. Recent premiership success proves my point.

Happy to back in the Noble model, but going forward we need a gun forward. Hopefully that forward is already on our list, or hopefully we can acquire one down the track through FA or trade.

Regardless of if we strengthen our mids or talls first, we need both to be successful.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:

Psicosis

Brownlow Medallist
May 7, 2012
Bird Rock
AFL Club
North Melbourne
A gun midfield without a gun tall forward is useless. Recent premiership success proves my point.

Happy to back in the Noble model, but going forward we need a gun forward. Hopefully that forward is already on our list, or hopefully we can acquire one down the track through FA or trade. Regardless we need one nonetheless.

We have Larkey, who stacks up statistically against any u22 KPF in the competition. Unsure of what more he needs to have done to constitute a potential “gun”, but he’s very impressive for his age.

Build a strong midfield group and if we need to bring another in through FA/Trade, we will.

Richmond 2017 & Footscray 2016 are two examples of sides that have recently won flags with 1 good KPF, so not sure what point is proved. Whose winning flags without a gun midfield?

Nutjob

Premiership Player
Oct 23, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
We have Larkey, who stacks up statistically against any u22 KPF in the competition. Unsure of what more he needs to have done to constitute a potential “gun”, but he’s very impressive for his age.

Build a strong midfield group and if we need to bring another in through FA/Trade, we will.

Richmond 2017 & Footscray 2016 are two examples of sides that have recently won flags with 1 good KPF, so not sure what point is proved. Whose winning flags without a gun midfield?

Larkey statistically was very poor this season and had very little impact on games. I am a Larkey fan and I particularly loved his development throughout 2019, but his form as the main focal point up forward this season was less than to be desired. Admittedly it was a completely different midfield formation, but nevertheless he looked lost at sea at times. He is still a kid and I have high hopes for him, but having all our hopes in Larkey and Comben who has persistent back injuries is a risk.

As I said previously trade or FA could be an option if the above fails, but again it’s a risk. We don’t exactly have a great track record for attracting big names. Hopefully with a talented young developing list that trend will change.

Yes, Richmond and Doggies only had one gun key tall, but we have none. We have a lot riding on a small sample of candidates to be that gun forward for us. If you look at many other recent premiership teams, they have multiple gun key forwards.

Again I am happy to back in the Noble model. Just pointing out that both areas need to be strengthened, however that maybe for us to be successful.

Psicosis

Brownlow Medallist
May 7, 2012
Bird Rock
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Larkey statistically was very poor this season and had very little impact on games. I am a Larkey fan and I particularly loved his development throughout 2019, but his form as the main focal point up forward this season was less than to be desired. Admittedly it was a completely different midfield formation, but nevertheless he looked lost at sea at times. He is still a kid and I have high hopes for him, but having all our hopes in Larkey and Comben who has persistent back injuries is a risk.

As I said previously trade or FA could be an option if the above fails, but again it’s a risk. We don’t exactly have a great track record for attracting big names. Hopefully with a talented young developing list that trend will change.

Yes, Richmond and Doggies only had one gun key tall, but we have none. We have a lot riding on a small sample of candidates to be that gun forward for us. If you look at many other recent premiership teams, they have multiple gun key forwards.

Again I am happy to back in the Noble model. Just pointing out that both areas need to be strengthened, however that maybe for us to be successful.

Feel free to compare Larkey statistically to any of the highly rated young KPFs in the competition and you will see his career numbers are very comparable to Harry McKay, Aaron Naughton, The King Brothers, Eric Hipwood etc.

He is quality & will become a very good player.

Do we need still need a second KPF? Probably down the track, but my point is that despite the carry on throughout this board, it isn’t as pressing a need to be actioned ASAP.

Shinboner1

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Feel free to compare Larkey statistically to any of the highly rated young KPFs in the competition and you will see his career numbers are very comparable to Harry McKay, Aaron Naughton, The King Brothers, Eric Hipwood etc.

Do we need still need a second KPF? Probably down the track, but my point is that despite the carry on throughout this board, it isn’t as pressing a need to be actioned ASAP.
Agree they we may not need a 2nd tall forward but larkey will need some help down there if he's to take the #1 defender every week for the next few seasons.
Our forward line structure is going to look very different compared to the last 5 years.

Shinboner1

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Happy to back in the Noble model, but going forward we need a gun forward. Hopefully that forward is already on our list, or hopefully we can acquire one down the track through FA or trade.

Regardless of if we strengthen our mids or talls first, we need both to be successful.

If we're thinking that we'll be mid table again or at least not bottom 4 then our choice to draft mids this year could have been a smart one.
Pick up the best key forward in 2021 as the first few picks will be mids because teams loaded up with talls in 2020.

See what happens but agree another tall forward be it 2nd ruck/forward is probably needed.
North has a decent amount of marking forwards around the 190cm mark so its not like we're that desperate for height if they can get open.

ChoppyGun

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 19, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Seems like we're building for speed?

No doubt we are as lion's a quick team which Noble knows.

Still can't have Larkey one out though. I actually think Walker is the man for a year.

I don't think Xerri is the answer.

Shinboner1

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
No doubt we are as lion's a quick team which Noble knows.

Still can't have Larkey one out though. I actually think Walker is the man.
Walker over xerri if fit? With the idea of xerri needing senior game time I just dont see it happening.
Happy to have walker on bench as he can easily play either side of the field.

ChoppyGun

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 19, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Walker over xerri if fit? With the idea of xerri needing senior game time I just dont see it happening.
Happy to have walker on bench as he can easily play either side of the field.

Xerri has been extremely poor so far - yes he tries hard etc but I'm not convinced he's an AFL player.

Campbell was equally useless as a fwd.

Walker is and shown it all year has great hands and not a statue like those two.

Ideally none get a game if we are at full strength but that won't be the case.

Shinboner1

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Xerri has been extremely poor so far - yes he tries hard etc but I'm not convinced he's an AFL player.

Campbell was equally useless as a fwd.

Walker is and shown it all year has great hands and not a statue like those two.

Ideally none get a game if we are at full strength but that won't be the case.
Agree on campbell but they are different players.
Xerri looking good so far and has slimmed down and moving a lot more than previous years.
He also provides some desperately aggressiveness in the forward line from a tall target which we haven't had in a while.
Averaged a goal a game last year in his first try in an AFL system with horrible entries into the forward 50. If he can turn that into 2 a game average with ruck hitouts included he'll be very serviceable. As an over 200cm player I'm very impressed with his willingness to go in for a tackle.

Wonderdog

All Australian
Nov 14, 2001
Canberra
AFL Club
North Melbourne
38. Tristan Xerri.

Listed on the club website as a key forward but is probably more of a ruckman. Looked aggressive but raw on debut last year & didn’t seem to have much forward craft. The dilemma is how to get games into him as as a ruckman when Goldie plays best when he is the sole ruck. The key to him getting games is to improve his forward craft so that he can be a legitimate forward target while giving Goldie a chop out in the ruck.

pupstar

Club Legend
Aug 12, 2017
cairns
AFL Club
North Melbourne

I am with you on this one nut job of course a gun midfield would be great and we are getting there but a gun midfield is only the 1 piece of the puzzle for premiership success. look at the Cats Danger Selwood Duncan and then the young blokes Parfitt and Simpson pretty handy mids there but still no flag. Magpies the same boat Pentlebury Sidebottom Adams Treloar Giants brilliant midfield again same no flag. So a gun midfield is no guarantee of success
So Larkey Comben good start but we cannot just rely on potential we need another key forward in my opinion a proven one would be nice easier said than done obviously. Well thats my 2 bobs worth anyway but i am sure Noble and company will be all over it.

Nutjob

Premiership Player
Oct 23, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Whilst their stats are comparable (Larkey on the lower end), how much support have the above list had with other key forwards to help carry the load? Help them develop? Most of the players you have listed have had 1 or 2 other key forwards as support. That is massive for a young key forwards development and it is something at this stage Larkey won’t have.

I’m not doubting Larkey’s ability, he is a quality prospect showing promising signs. I’m just pointing out that throwing all our eggs in a small basket is a risk. What if Larkey was to go down with an injury? It’s clearly an area we need more depth in as cover and also to provide more options going forward, if for some reason Larkey or Comben didn’t work out.

Psicosis

Brownlow Medallist
May 7, 2012
Bird Rock
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Whilst their stats are comparable (Larkey on the lower end), how much support have the above list had with other key forwards to help carry the load? Help them develop? Most of the players you have listed have had 1 or 2 other key forwards as support. That is massive for a young key forwards development and it is something at this stage Larkey won’t have.

I’m not doubting Larkey’s ability, he is a quality prospect showing promising signs. I’m just pointing out that throwing all our eggs in a small basket is a risk. What if Larkey was to go down with an injury? It’s clearly an area we need more depth in as cover and also to provide more options going forward, if for some reason Larkey or Comben didn’t work out.

I agree we need more KPF depth (especially if Comben doesn’t progress in 2021/Larkey gets injured).

My issue is when posters whinge about us passing on Logan McDonald/not taking an average KPF later in the draft. The decision to draft midfielders was 100% the right one in my opinion.

ChoppyGun

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 19, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
My issue is when posters whinge about us passing on Logan McDonald/not taking an average KPF later in the draft. The decision to draft midfielders was 100% the right one in my opinion.

Absolutely the last sentence.

Even if it doesn't work out (injuries or whatever) it was still definitely the right move moving forward considering our list.

Apr 17, 2007
melb home of the kangas
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
hellas,liverpool,storm,au

Larkey was coming off an interrupted preseason and was rushed into the team as soon as he was fit.
Didn’t really help the team or himself with that. Was able to build a fitness base and looked as fit as a park footballer.
Hopefully nobes doesn’t take short cuts with him.

Nutjob

Premiership Player
Oct 23, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Larkey was coming off an interrupted preseason and was rushed into the team as soon as he was fit.
Didn’t really help the team or himself with that. Was able to build a fitness base and looked as fit as a park footballer.
Hopefully nobes doesn’t take short cuts with him.

We have less options than last year, so I dare say a similar scenario would unfold if he was to get injured.

Nutjob

Premiership Player
Oct 23, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I agree we need more KPF depth (especially if Comben doesn’t progress in 2021/Larkey gets injured).

I agree, we didn’t need to take McDonald. At pick 2 you take best available in my opinion, regardless of position. I don’t think any side that finishes 17th has the luxury of picking and choosing for certain positions. I do however think we needed to add another key tall to develop going forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back