List Mgmt. 2021 Trade and List Management thread III. IN: CCJ

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 4, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
By having 1 less rookie player and having a stop gap emergency take up a spot
Yes. It's a just a rookie spot, it's not the end of the world. Additionally it's not a rookie we need to put work into, rather it's a rookie that will put work in for us.

Mar 16, 2001
Melbourne VIC
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wales, Eastwood, West Ham
Yes. It's a just a rookie spot, it's not the end of the world. Additionally it's not a rookie we need to put work into, rather it's a rookie that will put work in for us.
Wouldn’t surprise me if, as usual, we are the straw that breaks this camel‘s back and the AFL announces restrictions on who can be rookie listed.

Playing Devils advocate would be to list the best rookies ever and the chance that lynch could cost us one especially in Covid affected years where it might be easier to find gold late

Jun 4, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Playing Devils advocate would be to list the best rookies ever and the chance that lynch could cost us one especially in Covid affected years where it might be easier to find gold late
Might be easier. Might also be harder because there's so much obfuscation. It's just the one list spot. If we were stacking the list with development coaches I'd be raising an eyebrow or three, but it being just the one spot and a guy that was playing good/great football at times at the senior level last year? I'm AOK with the decision, in fact I genuinely like and approve of it.

Shinboner1

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Wouldn’t surprise me if, as usual, we are the straw that breaks this camel‘s back and the AFL announces restrictions on who can be rookie listed.
Is the AFL going to restrict teams from rookie listing 30+ year olds or force clubs to play them for a certain number of games?
Pretty sure there's bee na lot more undocumented older guys helping coach in various capacities and guys like eddie betts doing indigenous work.
Would be madness.

Shinboner1

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Surely we just keep a spot or 2 open for the MSD then?

Surely we just keep a spot or 2 open for the MSD then?
Well yeah we could have but lynch taking a spot

4 spots will be used in the national draft

you’d imagine we use rookie pick number 1 also
Then there’s the chance still of a dfa or psd which could include the best 18 year old not drafted

Jul 26, 2007
The Tree
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal, Coney Island Warriors
Ironic that you’re moaning about Lynch taking up a spot for development purposes but have made a BigFooty career out of incessantly posting that we should sign or trade for absolute spuds year after year.

Ironic that you’re moaning about Lynch taking up a spot for development purposes but have made a BigFooty career out of incessantly posting that we should sign or trade for absolute spuds year after year.
Spuds? Trust me haven’t advocated any 31 year old spuds with no improvement left

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Higgo2Froggy

Senior List
Sep 9, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Not exactly what you asked for but I had a look at all the rookie picks from the last decade (2010-2019)

Excluding picks that were simply players re-rookied by their own clubs, there were 436 rookie picks made in this period

Of those, 51 were what I deemed "worthwhile" selections (either they played 100+ games, played in a flag or have already established themselves as good players without meeting the 100 game threshold) (list of players is in the spoiler if anyone really cares)

That's just over 11% of all rookie picks that've panned out

Of those 51 that did:
Only 3 were ours (Gibson, Turner, Zurhaar)
A third of them were from just 3 clubs (Adelaide, Sydney and Richmond)

What does all this mean?
a) Clear evidence I've got far too much time on my hands and care far too much about the intricacies of one list spot

b) Effectively we're trading a 1/10 shot of finding a good player / a 90% chance of the rookie pick not panning out (depending on how you want to look at it) for the chance to add an extra development coach that Noble himself has worked with and would've got a sense of the football brain that can be imparted on our younger players, with the added bonus of being a handy emergency backup should another injury crisis develop

Josh Jenkins, Tom Jonas, Ed Curnow, Luke Dalhaus, Josh Walker, Jason Johanisen, Jeremy McGovern, Will Langford, Sam Menegola, Sam Frost, Rory Laird, Jack Crisp, Mark Blicavs, Sam Gibson, Harry Cunningham, Mark Baguley (lol), Marley Williams, Shane Biggs, Matt Taberner, Jake Lloyd, Dane Rampe, Zac Williams, Kyle Hartigan, Callum Sinclair, James Harmes, Charlie Cameron, Kayne Turner, Jake Kelly, Jack Sinclair, Reily O'Brien, Jayden Short, Adam Saad, Jason Castagna, Nic Newman, Kane Lambert, Ivan Soldo, Tom Papley, Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti, Dan Houston, Alex Keath, Hugh Greenwood, Rowan Marshall, Peter Ladhams, Cam Zurhaar, Jack Henry, Oscar McInerney, Liam Baker, Brody Mihocek, Callum Wilkie, Ben Keays

Shagga is all Class

Premiership Player
May 15, 2005
Beneath the Blue and White
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
NMFC
Of those 51 that did:
Only 3 were ours (Gibson, Turner, Zurhaar)
A third of them were from just 3 clubs (Adelaide, Sydney and Richmond

Adams and Gibson are probably the best rookies I can remember for us and I hope Zurhaar ends up the best.

Cox would have to the best rookie all time. Then Priddis.

As far as I can tell, we had a 29 year old rookie last year and now have Lynch, so one backup replaced with another in a different position.

Shinboner1

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I hope we at least utilise more of our cat b rookie spots now then with the extra coach
I can imagine the hardest part is actually finding those who are good enough to play.
How many cat b rookies have actually been successful in the AFL?

Apr 1, 2008
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Liverpool, Raiders, GSW, QPR, NYM
Adams and Gibson are probably the best rookies I can remember for us and I hope Zurhaar ends up the best.

Cox would have to the best rookie all time. Then Priddis.

As far as I can tell, we had a 29 year old rookie last year and now have Lynch, so one backup replaced with another in a different position.

I’d suggest Spud would be a better pick than Adams or Gibson.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back