List Mgmt. 2021 Trade and List Management thread III. IN: CCJ

Remove this Banner Ad

Assuming we rate several 20-30 prospects equally I hope we live trade #20 out for a pick in the 2021 20s and a future 2nd. Or 2 picks in the 20s. Similar to the down-trade for Comben.
As a live trade on the second night 100%.
That is when our pick will have the most value.
That way we get to see if anyone we rate highly slides to our pick before we decide to trade it.

Assuming we rate several 20-30 prospects equally I hope we live trade #20 out for a pick in the 2021 20s and a future 2nd. Or 2 picks in the 20s. Similar to the down-trade for Comben.
Something like someone who the Tiges rates slips through and is available at #20, we trade 20 for one of their late 20s picks plus their 2nd rounder next year (they're in "the premiership window" so its rated mid 30s) CCJ, JHF etc explode next year and the Tiges slide, we finish above them and politely thank them for the 2nd round upgrade :cool:

Something like someone who the Tiges rates slips through and is available at #20, we trade 20 for one of their late 20s picks plus their 2nd rounder next year (they're in "the premiership window" so its rated mid 30s) CCJ, JHF etc explode next year and the Tiges slide, we finish above them and politely thank them for the 2nd round upgrade :cool:
this would be the ultimate screw you to them. I like it!

Melbourne has gone to another level in the last 3 years.
Their trading and list management/draft team has been exceptional.
Any new additions to their group?
They've already made it back to the first round this year and could see them shooting up to the 20s again.
I think last year they did it to grab bowey and someone else.

As a live trade on the second night 100%.
That is when our pick will have the most value.
That way we get to see if anyone we rate highly slides to our pick before we decide to trade it.
That'd be the only way id do it.
Maybe try and get 2 picks in the late 20s for our pick 20.
There's going to be some kids who fall down the draft order and 19/20 is the perfect position to get someone who WAS top 10-12 and has fallen off.
Wouldn't say no to taking Jones and someone like dean etc at 28-30 though.
I reckon we'll only take 4 picks this year 5 at a max so I dont see North trying to offload 20 for that many picks.
We need the quality talent too.

Melbourne has gone to another level in the last 3 years.
Their trading and list management/draft team has been exceptional.
Any new additions to their group?
They've already made it back to the first round this year and could see them shooting up to the 20s again.
I think last year they did it to grab bowey and someone else.

Is trading next years first for a late first/early second every year really exceptional?

All they are doing is continually playing catchup on the Pickett deal, at some point they will have to trade someone or take a year without a first rounder to break the cycle.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is trading next years first for a late first/early second every year really exceptional?

All they are doing is continually playing catchup on the Jackson/Pickett deal, at some point they will have to trade someone or take a year without a first rounder to break the cycle.
They draft for the now instead of the future when a player is available and then cover the missing picks in the following year.
Melbourne always seem to get the talent they want in too regardless of position on field.
Yes it is very good and a lot better than what we've been doing in the last few years.
I'd rather be super active in the draft than the kid who sits in the corner who nobody wants to share lunch with.

They draft for the now instead of the future when a player is available and then cover the missing picks in the following year.
Melbourne always seem to get the talent they want in too regardless of position on field.
Yes it is very good and a lot better than what we've been doing in the last few years.
I'd rather be super active in the draft than the kid who sits in the corner who nobody wants to share lunch with.

I don't find anything super active about just trading yourself back into the draft into essentially the same position your traded out of in the first place.

Would we be super active if we traded our 2022 R1 pick for Fremantles this year and then just proceeded to trade back in year after year to roughly the same position we finished?

it's weird how melbourne's entire system has instantly become the standard by which all others are measured by, within one year. surely you wait to see if they back up next year or get surpassed by another rising club before you reconfigure everything in their image?
Been following them ever since they grabbed kozi and jackson in the same year and flipped our pick 8 for pick 10 and a 2nd from freo.
They're very good at coming up with a decent draft hand while also bringing in players of need.

it's weird how melbourne's entire system has instantly become the standard by which all others are measured by, within one year. surely you wait to see if they back up next year or get surpassed by another rising club before you reconfigure everything in their image?

It’s a default perception that the flag winner must be the standard to follow.

I'm loathe to praise them but I posted recently about looking over the last 5 trade periods/drafts and they were by the far the most active participants.

They were moving out picks to bring in role players then cashing in other picks to re-enter rounds. It was like watching the ASX.

When it ends with a minor premiership and premiership coming off a blistering finals series I think you'd be foolish not to look closer at what they did to get there.

They have clearly been doing good things at the draft for more than 1 year. They just won the flag….. If they’re not the measure what is?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I'm loathe to praise them but I posted recently about looking over the last 5 trade periods/drafts and they were by the far the most active participants.

They were moving out picks to bring in role players then cashing in other picks to re-enter rounds. It was like watching the ASX.

When it ends with a minor premiership and premiership coming off a blistering finals series I think you'd be foolish not to look closer at what they did to get there.

The key is, to be that s**t following a preliminary final appearance that you get to add the #2 pick to your list and at the same time leverage off your future pick.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back