List Mgmt. 2021 Trade, FA and Draft Chat

Remove this Banner Ad

So when is this Hawthorn firesale starting? Kennett has already apologised to the members for what is about to happen.

Footage now emerging from Hawthorn on how well their fire sale is progressing:

Andy_Mac

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 24, 2009
Torquay
AFL Club
Melbourne
I'd have a look at Wingard, but at P17? Wouldn't have thought so...

Also people suggesting we wouldn't accept P2, P8 and P19 for Jackson have rocks in your head. Dogga is an unbelievable talent, but that shits to crazy for even Freo...

Also people suggesting we wouldn't accept P2, P8 and P19 for Jackson have rocks in your head. Dogga is an unbelievable talent, but that shits to crazy for even Freo...
We’d have to give them two second/third rounders back. I still would rather not do it do it though, let’s just hope he never wants to leave.

King Kunta

Team Captain
Jun 30, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne

I'd agree with you if we were sitting mid table, but the reality is that we just won a flag with our current list and LJ was a huge part of that. Those draft picks might be great players or they might not be - history shows that you can't know for sure. What we do know that Jackson is a great player and we're more likely to win another premiership in 2022 with him on our list than a group of first year players. Hence my preference to keep him in this hypothetical scenario.

pjfairbairn

AFL Premiership Supporter, 2021
Feb 21, 2011
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
I'd agree with you if we were sitting mid table, but the reality is that we just won a flag with our current list and LJ was a huge part of that. Those draft picks might be great players or they might not be - history shows that you can't know for sure. What we do know that Jackson is a great player and we're more likely to win another premiership in 2022 with him on our list than a group of first year players. Hence my preference to keep him in this hypothetical scenario.

Yeah I would turn that down every day of the week.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Melbourne have consistently shown they place value on that “additional” year of development by trading away future picks to trade into the current draft.

It needs to catch up at some time where Melbourne take a year off having a first round pick, like 2017 and 2018, but that was also to target Lever and May.

They also take calculated risks to not overpay at the draft if they want a certain player type e.g. trading down in the draft so they could still get one of Pickett or Weightman, instead of getting a more highly rated player that was likely available at their pick prior to trading down.

It’s easy to say as I support Melbourne and pay less attention to how other teams do it, but Melbourne seem to work this the best and the results seem to speak for themselves. Nine premiership players drafted from 2017-2020 National drafts. There don’t appear to be any “misses” with picks under 40 through that period, although the jury is still out on Laurie and Rosman after only one year.

I reckon we are gonna wait for a year we target a bit free agent to eat the 1st round pick pain. Don't know when but at some point we will have a chance to target a decent free agent.

Lampers

Premiership Player
May 27, 2004
Eastside
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Melbourne
I reckon we are gonna wait for a year we target a bit free agent to eat the 1st round pick pain. Don't know when but at some point we will have a chance to target a decent free agent.

Someone to replace May in a year or two would be the obvious target, or a ready made gun big forward given the ages of Brown and McDonald.

Not saying it’s happening with Jackson but it’s kind of funny how every time Freo gets a WA player they’ve targeted the results are disastrous at worst and mediocre at best. Bennell, Colyer, Conca, Hogan, Lobb, McCarthy and Wilson - all seriously underwhelming.
I don’t think it’s a coincidence - they pick on WA kids from the second they get drafted and the ones who fall for it are all clearly very emotionally vulnerable. Not exactly a surprise that having a s**t club from home trying to unsettle them throughout the first few years of their career results in them playing like s**t when they get there.

Look at WCE. You rarely if ever hear about them trying to do the same thing. They draft WA kids and back themselves in to keep the out of state players as well. The only high profile player they’ve ‘lured’ home is Tim Kelly, who wanted to head back for family reasons anyway, and they paid a more than fair price for him. Freo is just a joke of a club from top to bottom. They deserve everything they get.

Apr 29, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne

First of all I just wanted to say that pick 2, 8 and 19 wouldn't be offered to Jackson but below shows that it should. This is every draft from 2013-2018

Losing Jackson would be a fail in every year other than 2014 (i.e. for Petracca). This is because midfielders grow on trees so even though for example Andrew Brayshaw in 2017 in a gun midfielder, it can't be compared to Jackson who is likely going to be the best ruckman for 10 years. Comfortably.

So history shows that people have every right to want 3 first rounders. But history shows that we wouldn't get it. So my finding is that no matter what losing Jackson would set us back many many years.

Don't get too much into my own individual ratings of the players below, it's just a guide to show you.

Josh Kelly. GUN
Luke Mcdonald. AVG
Blake Acres. AVG

Petracca. GUN
Peter Wright AVG
Boekhurst POOR

Schache. POOR
Callum Ah Chee POOR
Ryan Burton POOR

Taranto GUN
Griffin logue POOR
English POOR

Andrew Brayshaw GUN
Coffield POOR
Will Powell AVG

Lukosius AVG
Tarryn Thomas GUN
Liam Stocker POOR

(Log in to remove this ad.)

3 first rounders is unknockable for a kid who while being very good is still running on potential

That kind of haul gets you a Bont or Petracca

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

DGroover

Senior List
Jan 31, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
3 first rounders is unknockable for a kid who while being very good is still running on potential

That kind of haul gets you a Bont or Petracca

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Not really running on potential now though.
Premiership player and had good to major impact in games early in his career.
Takes contested grabs and kicks goals.
Also has high marketability.

I’m a Melbourne fan and I wouldn’t even consider trading him as he will get people through the gates and memberships bought (even for 3 first rounders)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jordie_tackles

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 25, 2009
G-town
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
MCFC, COBC, GWFC, TFC
Not really running on potential now though.
Premiership player and had good to major impact in games early in his career.
Takes contested grabs and kicks goals.
Also has high marketability.

I’m a Melbourne fan and I wouldn’t even consider trading him as he will get people through the gates and memberships bought (even for 3 first rounders)

Im not trading him for that package, he was that good in the grand final and is barely 20. Those picks don’t buy you a pettacca and don’t guarantee a star either.

Crusty Demon

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2009
Brighton
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Bookends.! from the draft.
Exactly. We target bookends this draft then by time May/Brown retires we should have ready made replacements. I know it's not that easy, but for the first time possibly ever, I'm backing in our recruiting staff to find them and our development staff to get them up to the level required. Petty is still young. Keep forgetting how young he is. Gonna be a solid full back for a long time.

DGroover

Senior List
Jan 31, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
Exactly. We target bookends this draft then by time May/Brown retires we should have ready made replacements. I know it's not that easy, but for the first time possibly ever, I'm backing in our recruiting staff to find them and our development staff to get them up to the level required. Petty is still young. Keep forgetting how young he is. Gonna be a solid full back for a long time.

Marty Hore goes ok too

Lampers

Premiership Player
May 27, 2004
Eastside
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Melbourne
Marty Hore goes ok too

Hore is a poor man’s Lever/Sicily.

Reads the ball really well in the air, but a mediocre kick and playmaker who has a very high disposal turnover rate for a defender.

He’s not fast or agile enough to defend smalls, not big or strong enough at 190cm to defend talls. He wasn’t the most athletically gifted player pre knee injury, who knows how well he’ll come back.

Great to have as depth in case Lever gets injured, but not someone I’d want to rely upon as a first choice defender.

Ando727

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 12, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Melbourne
I find it weird that there's this building sense of urgency around Hawthorn. It was only 6 years ago that they completed a triple premiership. Why is it an emergency all of a sudden? Can't they be crap for a few more years? I'm certainly happy for them to sit down the bottom for a few more years after the hell they've dished out to us and the competition.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back