List Mgmt. 2021 Trade, FA and Draft Chat

Remove this Banner Ad

There was talk before the finals that if Hibberd could get back into the team and win, he’d consider retirement.

He’s also a unanimous winner of the post GF BOG award (from the rumours), so he may still be lost in WA!

PIgs probably considering retirement. Isn't guaranteed best 22 next year.

Can't see us delisting 2 more unless we need extra space for mid season picks. We already have to use draft pick 47 or whatever, can't see us taking on extra rookies
Was thinking the same thing

Club probably told him he could get a 1 year deal with no guarantee of senior footy. Now winning a premiership he would probably start to think going out the way he did might be a good option

Was thinking the same thing

Club probably told him he could get a 1 year deal with no guarantee of senior footy. Now winning a premiership he would probably start to think going out the way he did might be a good option
Especially with Bowey coming in and making the spot his own.
Pigs great injury cover if a couple go down but I think if Tommos fit by round 7 ish or so then they probably work him back into the side

If Hunt is there for selection as well that's a bit of a queue

Starting to see clubs announce more delistings. Still no new on Hore, Declase and Hibberd.

Interestingly on grand final day watching all the pre game stuff Jon Ralph stated that Hibberd would sign a new 1 year deal and it would be announced few days after the grand final.
Delisting Declase would be very harsh considering we picked him up in the mid-season draft right before the VFL season was effectively cancelled.

I’d look at Oliver Hanrahan from the Hawks, handy player. Guess we’re not exactly short on small forward depth though

Lonie was a gun a few years ago IMO but hasn’t done much since, I haven’t followed what’s happened there too closely

Maybe get Richo to get in his ear. I think he played much better under Richo than Rats for some reason.

Delisting Declase would be very harsh considering we picked him up in the mid-season draft right before the VFL season was effectively cancelled.

Declase looks exactly the sort of player Melbourne could use. From the little I’ve seen he looks like he could be an upgrade on Baker as a backup wing. Can do what a winger needs to do reasonably well, but probably not rounded enough to be much else at AFL level.

Nice long kick, good mover, trapped in a bigger body which might make you think he should be playing as a key position but his highlights are not those of a key position.

"GEELONG has cut young midfielder Charlie Constable, with rival clubs now able to pick him up as a delisted free agent."
Maybe Brad Scott has some daughters he wants to keep the young blokes away from, he's dead set against young talent taking up list spots it seems.
You do you Scotty. :thumbsu:

They just hate young talent. Weird again because Constable looked pretty handy when they started hot in 2019. It’s not as though they’ve gotten better since they dropped him and Clark and other young players to the VFL

Constable can't run and their midfield is slow enough on the spread as it is.

Not sure if many teams will look at him. Can only play inside and doesn't have a heap of weapons.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lol and this is exactly what I ment when I said how can you judge Taylor.

Wells put together the list that won 3 flags. Now he gets sh*t picks he's no good.

So did Geelong just have better coaches in the 00s or do they have sh*t coaches now. Or have they set up a system that suits older blokes not younger ones.
Don't disagree but no one knows the name of Hawthorn or Richmond's recruiters of the past decade (or at least I don't). My point was more that Wells' reputation greatly exceeds what he's produced since the 01 draft really.

Lol and this is exactly what I ment when I said how can you judge Taylor.

Wells put together the list that won 3 flags. Now he gets sh*t picks he's no good.

So did Geelong just have better coaches in the 00s or do they have sh*t coaches now. Or have they set up a system that suits older blokes not younger ones.

I can understand what you are saying but Taylor has plucked a bunch of guys outside the first round in the last 6-7 years that have come on for us. Is our development better than Geelong or is Taylor now a better recruiter than Wells?

Geelong dynasty built on the back of a number of very handy F/S selections before they changed the rules: Gablett, Hawk, Scarlett.

Wells has a great record with mature pickups and later selections but has flubbed a heap of first rounders essentially since Selwood.

Geelong dynasty built on the back of a number of very handy F/S selections before they changed the rules: Gablett, Hawk, Scarlett.

Wells has a great record with mature pickups and later selections but has flubbed a heap of first rounders essentially since Selwood.
If he has had a concentrated period like JT’s 2017-2020 (excluding LJ) I’d like to see it.

Geelong 1999 draft:

8 Joel Corey East Perth
15 David Spriggs Prahran Dragons
17 Ezra Bray Calder Cannons
23 Daniel Foster Port Adelaide (SANFL)
31 Paul Chapman Calder Cannons
38 Cameron Ling Geelong Falcons

47 Corey Enright Port Adelaide (SANFL)

2001:

8 Jimmy Bartel Geelong Falcons
17 James Kelly Calder Cannons

23 Charlie Gardiner Sandringham Dragons
24 Steve Johnson Murray Bushrangers
40 Gary Ablett Jr.^ Geelong Falcons

41 Henry Playfair NSW/ACT Rams
69 Matthew McCarthy Old Xaverians
81 David Johnson Essendon (VFL)

Max rooke in the Rookie draft of 2001 as well

Those 2 drafts are incredible. Chapman into Ling into Enright is bonkers with 31, 38, 47.

Geelong 1999 draft:

8 Joel Corey East Perth
15 David Spriggs Prahran Dragons
17 Ezra Bray Calder Cannons
23 Daniel Foster Port Adelaide (SANFL)
31 Paul Chapman Calder Cannons
38 Cameron Ling Geelong Falcons

47 Corey Enright Port Adelaide (SANFL)

2001:

8 Jimmy Bartel Geelong Falcons
17 James Kelly Calder Cannons

23 Charlie Gardiner Sandringham Dragons
24 Steve Johnson Murray Bushrangers
40 Gary Ablett Jr.^ Geelong Falcons

41 Henry Playfair NSW/ACT Rams
69 Matthew McCarthy Old Xaverians
81 David Johnson Essendon (VFL)

Max rooke in the Rookie draft of 2001 as well

Those 2 drafts are incredible. Chapman into Ling into Enright is bonkers with 31, 38, 47.
Remarkable generational list build.

Looking at the Cats drafts from the past it's remarkable how many gems they've got from their VFL team: Matthew Egan, Shane Mumford, James Podsiadly, Tom Stewart, Tom Atkins.

They must have a good system of hiding them away at the right time so other teams don't snap them up from beneath their noses.

Also a heap of players from the Geelong Falcons, the infamous footy factory.

They've done an excellent job keeping local Geelong players at the club and luring players from the area back home: Dangerfield, Jeremy Cameron (Dartmoor boy, bit of a stretch I guess)

Remarkable generational list build.

Lets hope in the future we can look back just as fondly at the 2013/14/15 AFL drafts (granted our picks best are from 1st rounders rather than the gold that Geelong managed to find in the 30s and 40s).

Lets hope in the future we can look back just as fondly at the 2013/14/15 AFL drafts (granted our picks best are from 1st rounders rather than the gold that Geelong managed to find in the 30s and 40s).
It’s more the 2017/18/19/20 period, if Sparrow, Jordon, Spargo, Rivers, Bowey and Laurie turn into generational players. Petty and Fritsch looks really important in key positions but they’ve all had impressive short term impact

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back