List Mgmt. 2021 Trade, FA and Draft Chat

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm pretty sure JT said he was recruited as a forward, but that can easily change quickly. Picking a guy like that who has shown ability at both ends and trying to work out where to fit him in is a nice problem to have.

Sort of reminds me of the TMac pick some years ago. A bit of a swing man who was recruited as a potential forward. Fingers crossed this one works out as well as that!

Really like this pick.

He's a big unit who's already played WAFL senior, so he's physically ready to go. We're not bringing in a Watts/Weideman who's skinny and needing to put on muscle.

The beauty about this selection also is that Jason Taylor as already stated that he's coming in as a key forward. There is no rush to get him in the senior side and for all I care I would be happy for him to spend half the year at Casey just getting use to the bigger bodies.

At the start of the year he was talked up as a potential top 10 pick so the talent is certainly there.

Really like the pick with our ageing key position stocks.

Now for the rest of the draft/s aside from Taj Woewodin and Andy Moniz-Wakefield I guess we just go best available or for some sliders?

Not really clued in on the other prospects available at our pick but feel like KPF is the most obvious area of our weakness in our side (TMac & Brown were competent this year, but both nearing 30), so I'm pretty happy with the selection. From his comprehensive 1 minute highlight reel it's obvious he will be a force.

Looks like there could a few quality sliders available at our next pick but I’ve got the feeling JT already has someone lined up he is very confident will be available at that selection.

I’m interested to see what happens with Freo’s first pick, they must be getting a bidding frenzy right now with clubs trying to get one of the “guaranteed first rounders” that got overlooked. It’s crazy to think Gold Coast basically gave that selection away for free in the Brodie trade due to their epic mismanagement.

Looks like there could a few quality sliders available at our next pick but I’ve got the feeling JT already has someone lined up he is very confident will be available at that selection.

I’m interested to see what happens with Freo’s first pick, they must be getting a bidding frenzy right now with clubs trying to get one of the “guaranteed first rounders” that got overlooked. It’s crazy to think Gold Coast basically gave that selection away for free in the Brodie trade due to their epic mismanagement.

I'm not a draft watcher, but Johnson being available is surprising. He was talked up as being a top 10 pick (Hawks were linked with him at pock 5/7). Being a WA boy, Freo seem to be in a good spot.... they can land another local kid who slid further than they expected or a club pays through the nose to get the pick.

I'm not a draft watcher, but Johnson being available is surprising. He was talked up as being a top 10 pick (Hawks were linked with him at pock 5/7). Being a WA boy, Freo seem to be in a good spot.... they can land another local kid who slid further than they expected or a club pays through the nose to get the pick.
BEST REMAINING PLAYERS (Fox Lab overall rank)

13. Matt Johnson (midfielder)

14. Josh Goater (midfielder)

16. Mitch Knevitt (midfielder)

17. Tyler Sonsie (mid-forward)

18. Sam Butler (mid-forward)

20. Zac Taylor (midfielder)

24. Josh Fahey (defender)

25. Mitch Owens (mid-forward)

26. Jesse Motlop (mid-forward)

27. Blake Howes (wing)

I won't pretend to know much about Blake Howes (or any other draftee) but it seems a great result considering many had us linked to him with our first pick.
I didn't have much mail from this draft, but asked my mate last night afterwards and he said he heard they were tossing up between Howes and van Rooyen at our first pick. After Wilmot went.

I can only imagine how pumped they would have been to see him still there at 39

(Log in to remove this ad.)

yeah really happy with that one, good value pick there i reckon. looks like clubs are a bit unsure about some of these Vic boys and some are sliding a bit.

Boss mode status for Taylor, Howes with the second round pick.

Yes and No.

The reason he was linked for Melbourne’s first, which makes getting him 20 picks later look great, was because it got around Melbourne were into him - and the journo guessed the wrong pick.

In other words, it was Melbourne that inadvertently created the interest that made Howes appear as a top 20 prospect.

If he was a genuine steal someone else would’ve already drafted Howes.

Don’t get me wrong, I hope Howes is great, but it’s not a coup until Howes proves something at AFL level.

What I’m interested in is what Melbourne were up to that the AFL rejected with the Adelaide pick 36. It could only have been they thought Howes was going to get picked up at 37 or 38, or Melbourne were really into someone they missed at 36, 37 or 38.

What I’m interested in is what Melbourne were up to that the AFL rejected with the Adelaide pick 36. It could only have been they thought Howes was going to get picked up at 37 or 38, or Melbourne were really into someone they missed at 36, 37 or 38.
Fox is showing Adelaide as having #43 which I understood to be our pick. Maybe there was a pick swap that wasn't mentioned on the coverage.

Quick google of Blake Howes, found this article on the best players still available in the draft. Says Melbourne are interested but don’t have the draft capital to trade up and get him. Not bad that he fell to our pick

C0C2CC73-D932-4F0B-810D-2555B5FAD40E.png

Yes and No.

The reason he was linked for Melbourne’s first, which makes getting him 20 picks later look great, was because it got around Melbourne were into him - and the journo guessed the wrong pick.

In other words, it was Melbourne that inadvertently created the interest that made Howes appear as a top 20 prospect.

If he was a genuine steal someone else would’ve already drafted Howes.

Don’t get me wrong, I hope Howes is great, but it’s not a coup until Howes proves something at AFL level.

On the draft and trade board Lore said that there is a rule that you can't trade a pick back to a club that has been traded to you. Potentially we were trying to trade the pick 39 to Adelaide as part of the deal to get 36 which isn't allowed as we received 39 from Adelaide initially.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back