News 2021 Trade/Free Agent News and reported targets Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This thread is not to discuss current Hawthorn players and whether they’re tradeable, who they're linked to or what you think they’re worth.

This thread is about our Trade targets at other clubs that are linked to us via media(not facebook pages).

Reminder, we are also not thinking up trade hypotheticals of how you would get it done in here, or asking what these players we are linked to are worth.

I would like to see us have a crack at Cerra - we’ve got the cap room and desperately need the class.

I wonder if we could package something together that doesn’t involve multiple future first rounders.

If we finished last, he could walk to us in the PSD?? Just sayin'

If we finished last, he could walk to us in the PSD?? Just sayin'
I don’t think we will finish last but if we did then I reckon we say to Freo how about we give you the same compensation that you gave us for Brad Hill and call it a night. If they refuse then walk his a** to the PSD draft.

I'm pretty happy to show $1m a year to Kelly. Just oozes class.

Not happy to do it for 8 years though. I hope we're at least in the conversation
You'd front-end the * out of any offer. Without bringing players in we are otherwise massively overpaying a terrible list over the next couple years, as we have been for a few years now with the minimum cap.

You'd front-end the fu** out of any offer. Without bringing players in we are otherwise massively overpaying a terrible list over the next couple years, as we have been for a few years now with the minimum cap.
If GWS want him out, we must put the coin down now.
He's everything we need in a midfielder.

We are not paying one player that much. Kelly will not happen if he wants to get paid. Imagine telling the playing group oh we are getting rid of senior players for picks and then bringing one in on a big salary. Its just not something that we will do. It is more likely we will retain the current players than have this happen

We are not paying one player that much. Kelly will not happen if he wants to get paid. Imagine telling the playing group oh we are getting rid of senior players for picks and then bringing one in on a big salary. Its just not something that we will do. It is more likely we will retain the current players than have this happen
Maybe it should be, we're not staring down the barrel of wooden spoon due to good management. As Alan Jeans said pay the price.

North I don't believe will or at least should go after Kelly anymore they have their midfield set with Cunnington(30) Anderson(27) McDonald (26) Simpkin (23) davies-uniacke (22) Stephenson(22) Thomas (21) Powell (19) Philips (19) + (Horne, Sonsie, Callaghan)

Collingwood still has cap issues and would be hard pressed to offer a big contract and theyre not exactly a significantly more desirable destination either.

Carlton, Richmond, Geelong and Saints don't have heaps of space you would think. Melbourne, Bulldogs and even Essendon already have heaps of midfield depth.

I think Kelly is a good fit for us and the situation lines up pretty well.

Last edited:

Underperformed and banged up senior player's, Wingard or O'Meara.

Limited senior player, potentially blocking younger options, Mitchell.

I feel our young forwards would get over it pretty quickly seeing Josh Kelly with ball in hand over and over.

Last edited:
I don’t think we will finish last but if we did then I reckon we say to Freo how about we give you the same compensation that you gave us for Brad Hill and call it a night. If they refuse then walk his a** to the PSD draft.
Hell no, why give up an early second rounder for another inconsistent tall forward. He would just hold back development of our young talls and not help with our desparate need for class and speed in the mids.

On SM-G570F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think the messaging to the playing group will be "We put faith in this group and we've landed bottom 4 two seasons in a row. Thanks for your efforts, we know you've tried hard, but the model is broke - so time for a shake up."

Hell no, why give up an early second rounder for another inconsistent tall forward. He would just hold back development of our young talls and not help with our desparate need for class and speed in the mids.

On SM-G570F using BigFooty.com mobile app
They're talking about Cerra - he isn't an inconsistent tall forward, he's a classy outside mid.

Are you thinking of Lobb?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lobb or ceglar as back up ruck to Reeves?

Lobb is contracted another two years at 700k (perhaps less if it was front-ended).... no way you'd pay this for a backup.

Hopefully any truth is around us getting Cerra, and keeping our first, by taking on Lobb as a salary dump as part of it.

This will probably be bumped to hypothetical fairly.

From the outside, we can read it many different ways.

By not buying a FA, I could read it: "Mitchell, JO'M, Wingard et al., you're busting your ass for us but we're not going to fast track it - you'll retire without success but the team you leave will hopefully be in a good place.

If I were one of those players, I'd rather hear: "You guys are busting your ass but we're missing pieces of the puzzle. We're going to buy one, protect our draft picks & try to bring this together using as many methods as possible."

*I don't think we'll get Kelly - I don't think we rate him at $1m a year (or we'll steer clear of the contract length). I'd be disappointed if we're scared of changing our pay structure of old.

I can understand this line of thinking when we have a list like we did in our 3 peat years, but if our list has changed that much that we are now considered easy beats, then maybe the thinking must change

If we retain the current players, then the only 3 peat we’ll see is bottom 3 finishes (and longer)

From the outside, we can read it many different ways.

By not buying a FA, I could read it: "Mitchell, JO'M, Wingard et al., you're busting your ass for us but we're not going to fast track it - you'll retire without success but the team you leave will hopefully be in a good place.

If I were one of those players, I'd rather hear: "You guys are busting your ass but we're missing pieces of the puzzle. We're going to buy one, protect our draft picks & try to bring this together using as many methods as possible."

*I don't think we'll get Kelly - I don't think we rate him at $1m a year (or we'll steer clear of the contract length). I'd be disappointed if we're scared of changing our pay structure of old.
I think the pay structure of old has nothing to do with it mate. Like you say we are not going to pay Kelly what he wants. We are in the process of getting a draft hand our focus has now shifted. Some of the players of worth on our list may or may not be moved on it is not to say we wont make an offer but that is not going to get it done. Our focus is now on the future

I wouldn't be too worried about hurting the feelings of a playing group that might deliver us a wooden spoon. They are already overpaid by virtue of the minimum salary cap and the fact our list is as weak as any other. I am not saying you're wrong that it is unlikely to happen, but I am saying it is wrong not to pay players to come into the club when you have a rubbish list and a minimum salary cap.

I think the pay structure of old has nothing to do with it mate. Like you say we are not going to pay Kelly what he wants. We are in the process of getting a draft hand our focus has now shifted. Some of the players of worth on our list may or may not be moved on it is not to say we wont make an offer but that is not going to get it done. Our focus is now on the future
Agree but the unknown is how much gws may contribute to his salary to get out of the longer term burden.

Agree but the unknown is how much gws may contribute to his salary to get out of the longer term burden.
Don't think you can do that when they leave as FA - only if they leave via trade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back