News 2021 Trade/Free Agent News and reported targets Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This thread is not to discuss current Hawthorn players and whether they’re tradeable, who they're linked to or what you think they’re worth.

This thread is about our Trade targets at other clubs that are linked to us via media(not facebook pages).

Reminder, we are also not thinking up trade hypotheticals of how you would get it done in here, or asking what these players we are linked to are worth.

I am not aiming this at anyone in particular but when posters quote stats, I am always reminded of the old saying: “ there are three kinds of lies. Lies, damned Lies and Statistics.”
It is generally used against those that attempt to use stats to bolster a weak argument.

Disclaimer: I did a sub major in stats at Monash a lifetime ago, (most of which I have forgotten), so I am aware they can be very useful but also misleading.

Carry on, Statisticians.
I get your point but H00t's statistical riposte to the comment that Lewis is tracking better than Roughy at the same point in their careers struck me as game, set and match in that argument whichever way you look at the stats.

It was a concise, precision based piece of rattling nails into a coffin before the corpse was cold.

Beautiful to witness in fact.

On moto g(7) using BigFooty.com mobile app

A few of the names RoughandLove mentioned we’d take a look at had big days today at VFL level.

Riccardi kicked 8.4, took 14 marks.

Fiorini had 44 and a goal.
Brodie and Sharp 26 each.

A few of the names RoughandLove mentioned we’d take a look at had big days today at VFL level.

Riccardi kicked 8.4, took 14 marks.

Fiorini had 44 and a goal.
Brodie and Sharp 26 each.
Riccardi and Sharp would both be handy gets for the right price

Surely we're talking to Josh Kelly? Hearing GWS are trying to push his contract off the books.
I heard from friend that he knows someone on the Essendon Board
that is involved inside Essendon and he wants to join them.
Might not happen but he has ex team mates there.
I think it's BS anyway

On SM-G955F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Surely we're talking to Josh Kelly? Hearing GWS are trying to push his contract off the books.

It's a really interesting one that. He is exactly the type of player we want. And even rebuilding, being a free agent, with our list (salary), it isn't really going against what we are doing. Probably helps it.

But the issue with Kelly, is most of the talk is that he wants to get back into the midfield. He isn't overly happy playing the high half forward role that he currently is. I think we would need to move Mitchell on if we were to bring in Kelly.

A midfield of Kelly, O'Meara, Worpel, Newcombe our first pick, Wingard at times, seems far more balanced.

I’d love Josh Kelly, but I reckon we let them choke on it. They can have Kelly and cogs eat up $2m of there salary every year for the next 5 years.
We have provided teams with too many gifts. The strategy in the way we trade needs to dramatically change.

Scully/Paton = salary relief gift to GWS for zero return

Last edited:
I’d love Josh Kelly, but I reckon we let them choke on it. They can have Kelly and cogs eat up $2m of there salary every year for the next 5 years.

This.

The Giants have already made their bed. Let who wants to be a Gillionaire get them out of this one. :$

That amount of money is worthy for only a handful of players ..... the best in the comp. Stay away from this one!
Got to pay the salary cap though. With a 17th list, we have to overpay players over the next few years to do so. If we could land a genuine star as free agent, we should. Can’t see why he’d be keen on us though

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We have provided teams with too many gifts. The strategy in the way we trade needs to dramatically change.

Scully/Paton = salary relief gift to GWS for zero return
The bloke responsible for that mess is gone. Not to mention he also missed the free agents he promised he'd get, yet now people want to save gws from the same free agents we missed - no thanks - they can suck on it, even though we know the afl will change the rules, when needed.

The bloke responsible for that mess is gone. Not to mention he also missed the free agents he promised he'd get, yet now people want to save gws from the same free agents we missed - no thanks - they can suck on it, even though we know the afl will change the rules, when needed.

No matter how many times you repeat this, it doesn't make it true.

You posted in another thread that you've liked our drafting recently. Who was here and oversaw all of that? We have drafted pretty well given the picks we have, the issue was we just didn't have enough picks.

One man had the final call on trading our picks for senior players, which was done at his request - rightly or wrongly mortgaging our future for another crack. That man was not Wright, he was tasked to complete the wishes of the coach. Wright had wanted to go to the draft. That is a fact.

Also, Wright did not promise "multiple" FA's. We were not ever going to get Lynch. And if you don't know the Coniglio story now then you've been living under a rock.

You can't re-write history.

I heard from friend that he knows someone on the Essendon Board
that is involved inside Essendon and he wants to join them.
Might not happen but he has ex team mates there.
I think it's BS anyway

On SM-G955F using BigFooty.com mobile app
A friend of a friend says that a person on the Essendon board is involved inside Essendon? 😂

A friend of a friend says that a person on the Essendon board is involved inside Essendon? 😂
No, the guy on the Essendon board knows someone who is involved inside Essendon...

We'd pay him $800k over 5. If we wants to leave, he'll have to take a haircut.
Spot on.

Offer what he's worth*, hang up the phone & move on - if he (his Mgr) calls back then we'll talk.

*regardless his attributes, he doesn't deliver $1m p/a value on field.

Got to pay the salary cap though. With a 17th list, we have to overpay players over the next few years to do so. If we could land a genuine star as free agent, we should. Can’t see why he’d be keen on us though
There’s overpaying and then there’s overpaying. There is no quick fix to where we are atm and like it or not it’s a slow burn situation. Signing a player on that type of contract even with the cap room we have still limits any kind of future moves you can make. The process should be adding more quality through the draft and bargain additions like Impey / Scrimshaw. Anything else is just fools gold and that is not a knock on Kelly as he’s a quality player but he will NEVER live up to that contract which will always be an anchor to the team that has to deal with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back