News 2021 Trade/Free Agent News and reported targets Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This thread is not to discuss current Hawthorn players and whether they’re tradeable, who they're linked to or what you think they’re worth.

This thread is about our Trade targets at other clubs that are linked to us via media(not facebook pages).

Reminder, we are also not thinking up trade hypotheticals of how you would get it done in here, or asking what these players we are linked to are worth.

Ok guys, bye week is here and this thread is going to take a turn away from wishlists.

This thread is not to discuss current Hawthorn players and if they are in form or not, and whether they’re tradeable, what you think they’re worth.

This thread is about our Trade targets. Trade targets. Trade targets.

That means players at other clubs we have been linked to, and our interest in them going forward.

So from here on in, it’s for players that the HFC are linked to.

I remind you all of this post from R&L, and that we are not thinking up trade hypotheticals of how you would get it done in here.

G’Day Guys, hope you’re all well.

Just a little bit of news to share, I think it’s been well documented we’re hitting the draft pretty hard for the next couple of years.

Big Fish looking unlikely this year but we’re looking to spread the money around with our salary cap and attract role players like Scrimshaw, Impey etc currently and Lake, Gibson, Hale previously.

If we were to land a big fish we’d be more inclined to lose one of our big fish rather than our upcoming high draft picks - I don’t mind this strategy.

We’re not gonna get all of these players but players of interest are:

Williams (WC)
Ladhams (PA)
Long (St K)
Brodie (GC)
Lonie (St K)
Wallis (WB)
Clark (Gee)
Frampton (Adel)
Himmelberg (Adel)
Riccardi (GWS)
Dow (Carl)
SPS (Carl)
Sharp (GC)
Fiorini (GC)

I expect us to land 2-3 of these players. A ruckman or 2 a priority for me. Cegs, Brooksby & BB are cooked. BB can only play on heart for so long - champion.

Which 3 of the list would you like us to get?

For me

Ladhams
Clark
Long

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Lipinski dropped again. Would add some clean ball use to our midfield rotation.

We should be focusing on back up rucks and classier mids. Easier said than done of course.

Ideally we need young players who still have improvement in them. I think the stop gap (Phillips, Hartigan) recruitment strategy has finished.

Coleman-Jones, Bailey Williams (Eagles), Lipinski, Narkle for example.

The form of Scrimshaw and Impey in particular should be enough to create excitement over this type of recruiting strategy. There will be those who will complain about missing out on 'big fish', but that isn't a realistic or necessary approach to this years trade period.

I think everyone just knows we're absolutely next to no chance of landing a big fish, so I'm not sure we'll see many complaints.

* it. I'd try a reclamation project with SPS. I've been really critical of him, but he has been played out of position in the back half. He is a midfielder, switching forward for mine. I don't think he would cost much anymore. If we could get it done for a second rounder, I would pull the trigger. He has skill and speed which we desperately need.

Clark would be an amazing get. I'm not sure Geelong would let him go cheaply, but he isn't getting a game so his value reduces by the week.

fu** it. I'd try a reclamation project with SPS. I've been really critical of him, but he has been played out of position in the back half. He is a midfielder, switching forward for mine. I don't think he would cost much anymore. If we could get it done for a second rounder, I would pull the trigger. He has skill and speed which we desperately need.

Clark would be an amazing get. I'm not sure Geelong would let him go cheaply, but he isn't getting a game so his value reduces by the week.
SPS but not for a 2nd Rounder

Hard to see us landing a big fish and parting with any of our first 3 picks - and our 4th rounders won’t get us much (but maybe a scrimshaw type from gcs?).

I don’t mind the idea of a Carlton or gcs re-programming project (or a player on outer at a strong club - maybe Ely smith type - not sure if he can play) -especially if we trade out some players providing opportunity and some draft currency for fringe players. May be better play than just loading up with late draft/rookie picks. Decent pace and skills would be hopefully a pre-requisite in addition to hardness. Not sure if we still like stocker (recall we rated him in draft year) from Carlton but if we were trading say Mitchell he’s the type you’d try to get thrown in as well.

The challenge is to identify players when their price is rock bottom - ie maybe narkle and Tom McDonald (although didn’t fit our age profile) last year. The other key is finding guys getting played out of position - our advantage is have likely a lot of room for anyone who can play in midfield and is quick (but less so for any back flankers).

SPS reminds me of one of those guys that is young enough to turn it around in a couple of years as he does have high end potential so I think a third and a fourth round picks for him would be worth it.
Obviously the blues would want a second round pick for him at the very least.
The rest of that list is so-so but if we can get another first rounder then two Top 15 picks plus SPS would be a great outcome.

I see Dan Rioli is out of contract and flavour. I wonder if he's worth a look. My ultimate wish is to throw 800k a year at Shai Bolton as he's exactly what we need.

yep Shai Bolton and Cerra are the two I would consider moving on a first round pick for (but not 2-3)

Perfect age and skill as in/out mids. Exactly what we need

This isn’t the thread where you come to say you want us to chase a player you just noticed in a game.

We’re going to keep this to the players that the club is actually looking at.

If we are going to target anyone please let it be Shai Bolton - he's a superstar now and will be for the next decade
Will cost too much to extricate in both $$ and trade currency.

We need to find players in 21-24 age group who want opportunity and aren’t yet going to demand a massive trade fee.

We need to find players in 21-24 age group who want opportunity and aren’t yet going to demand a massive trade fee.

Brayden Fiorini?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's 22.

Out of contract.

He will be 26 just as we are coming good.

The money shouldn't be an issue we have cap space to burn for now - the trade price could be less if we finish last and have the threat of walking him to the PSD

He's 22.

Out of contract.

He will be 26 just as we are coming good.

The money shouldn't be an issue we have cap space to burn for now - the trade price could be less if we finish last and have the threat of walking him to the PSD
We won’t throw our pay structure out to get his interest and we won’t pay the trade fee that Richmond would want.

All that, and he’s not going to want to come to a bottom 4 Hawthorn.

What we need to do is load up on young talent for the next 2 years, and play them

The only players we would attract at the moment are guys looking for a healthy pay rise
You’re going to get players who want opportunity, who think they are being overlooked and think that they can help lift a club, and players who for whatever reason want to come back to Vic.

This isn’t the thread where you come to say you want us to chase a player you just noticed in a game.

We’re going to keep this to the players that the club is actually looking at.

That's fine, but we don't always know who exactly the club is chasing and we do know when players who would suit our needs come out of contract. Is that something we are being discouraged from discussing?

You’re going to get players who want opportunity, who think they are being overlooked and think that they can help lift a club, and players who for whatever reason want to come back to Vic.
Those players are young guys who have been in the system 3,4,5 years, not free agents the ilk of Merrett, Kelly etc

A defensive mid I rate is darcy tucker Vic boy 24 and Pretty sure he is out of contract. Very highly rated internally at Fremantle..

Would be very happy with Lipinski, one of SPS/McLean, a mature ruck and Pick 1/2 + another first rounder. This could comfortably be achieved just with the draft pick capital we currently have and would seriously rejuvenate our age demographic.

If the rumblings that one of Gunston, Wingard or Mitchell are going to be traded, could easily go into the draft with 3 first rounders.

SPS has class that we are in need of. Definitely needs more midfield time and would be a perfect piece for the club to target. He is one of those guys that will hit up targets inside 50 regularly if given more opportunity.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back