• Kelly and Merrett

Votes: 28 38.9%
  • Other

Votes: 8 11.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean, I know it’s hard for some people, but can we not do the “we need to trade into the first round” thing in here.

😞

It's also not the thread to discuss current Hawthorn players and if they are in form or not, and whether they’re tradeable.

Trade targets. Trade targets. Trade targets.

That means players at other clubs, and our interest in them going forward.

We only had a rookie space available. Freo promised him a senior spot so he quit. Freo then went back on the promise and he ended up on their rookie list and got delisted from them.
Can still offer him a 2yr deal with the 2nd year on the senior list.

Agree. But the List needs this type. Yes he ain’t elite and of course we need elite, my point, we get his type PLUS the elite.
I can get around this.

We need a general talent uplift and a few A graders (fwd and mid).

We need to use all mechanisms to get there:

- keep our high draft picks
- trade in low cost best 22 players who are <25 years old (lipinski being a prime example, more scrimshaws too pls)
- trade out older fringe players (low picks or donuts)
- throw big bucks at elite free agents (merrett)
- fair dollars for other free agents that fill a need

I see no point in holding fire on free agents, Its unlikely someone comes to a bottom 3 side but if they did it accelerates the rebuild. Costs nothing except money, which we have and better spent on them than overpaying other blokes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like the idea of building a premiership rather then trying to buy one.

And if we are overpaying average players then it's our own fault, so we need to get better as a club, not through "purchasing" it, unless it's a Buddy Franklin, since our mids need somebody to kick it too.
No we might only want to be actually paying 85% of cap but stupid afl/ aflpa rules force us to pay 95%.

No we might only want to be actually paying 85% of cap but stupid afl/ aflpa rules force us to pay 95%.
The worst AFL rules:
- Front on contact in a marking contest
- High fend off = free kick against
- Salary cap minimum spend.

I know what they're trying to do with the minimum cap spend - but jesus. It literally forces clubs to spend money that they otherwise wouldn't want to.
North are forever in a bad financial position. They're also near the bottom of the ladder. In terms of list quality they should really be able to pocket $2m of the cap rather than it go to players.

It creates a golden handcuffs scenario where a player of average skill/output (let say Atley, he's a plodder) would be in the top 10 paid at North. That means they'll struggle to offload him to another club because he personally won't want to leave for the salary on offer, because compared to other club's 10th best player he's way worse.

I know this situation well - I work in government.

It's the rules we live by, same as the clubs that haven't won a damn thing for 30 years - so just get on with it. Recruit better so it's worth the spend - get on with it.

PS: This doesn't mean I don't think it's effing pathetic, running a business myself, but it's the rules, so get on with it until it's changed or not - doesn't matter - get on with it.

Just when I thought Max King might be the player I’d cough up most for in the comp, I sit down to watch his brother. Surely he doesn’t play his career for that rabble?

He's 31 yeah?
No idea man.
how this guy has not been playing AFL is just crazy. The first 15 seconds and it was like a second coming of the way Cyril use to move.
if he is 31 that is such a shame.
Bloody magnificent body control and poise. Doesn’t mind a n Eddy Betts goal from the pocket as well.
those type of guys are the ones you would expect the club to jump on mid season with Patto gone and Sicily LtI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back