• Kelly and Merrett

Votes: 28 38.9%
  • Other

Votes: 8 11.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean, I know it’s hard for some people, but can we not do the “we need to trade into the first round” thing in here.

😞

It's also not the thread to discuss current Hawthorn players and if they are in form or not, and whether they’re tradeable.

Trade targets. Trade targets. Trade targets.

That means players at other clubs, and our interest in them going forward.

PhatHQ

Premiership Player
Sep 26, 2015
Newcastle
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Merrett the one, but we could be priced out of it again. Reckon we just hit the draft. Should have another high pick in a great draft.
I’m happy to overpay cash for a free agent. You have to pay someone.It is either that or we continue to overpay players on the list just to make the minimum cap.

The important thing for us is no more overpaying in trades. We need to load up at this years draft. Swans and Power are showing what one great draft can do. If we do that and have the cap space to overpay for a gun free agent too so be it. But I don’t see someone like Merrett being interested in Hawks anyway.

I’d love Kelly, but I don’t think I have the stomach for another deal with GWS. Also, unless we are a top 6 team this year, there’s no point paying huge cash for any free agent
Still got to pay the minimum cap though. Rather improve the list with a free agent than overpay players on a mediocre list.

I’m happy to overpay cash for a free agent. You have to pay someone.It is either that or we continue to overpay players on the list just to make the minimum cap.

The important thing for us is no more overpaying in trades. We need to load up at this years draft. Swans and Power are showing what one great draft can do. If we do that and have the cap space to overpay for a gun free agent too so be it. But I don’t see someone like Merrett being interested in Hawks anyway.
Agree. We'd have to have a much better year and show we're going places. Can't finish bottom 4 again and expect to land a top free agent.

Still got to pay the minimum cap though. Rather improve the list with a free agent than overpay players on a mediocre list.
This builds resntment amongst existing players on the list who all get told about our list profile and how they fit in playing and salary wise. Its not something we will do as a club. I wonder out aloud about the reasons for st kilda's performance this weekend. Quite a few mercenaries who went there for the money. You get what u pay for

I 100% hate this. We can bring payments forward and reward players for loyalty. Pay 95% and allow even more flexibility in coming years. Improve a list to still not be competitive is not the answer

A recent article mentioned that we broke our payment structure with our Lynch offer when he came into free agency. I think Merrett is pretty close to the kind of guy you throw the kitchen sink at if he wants to come.

Mitchell, O'Meara, Merrett, Wingard, Worpel. Tempting. Do we back ourselves to find a good forward and ruck mix in the next 4-5 year window with that midfield core? (I'm backing our defensive talent)

This builds resntment amongst existing players on the list who all get told about our list profile and how they fit in playing and salary wise. Its not something we will do as a club. I wonder out aloud about the reasons for st kilda's performance this weekend. Quite a few mercenaries who went there for the money. You get what u pay for
Does it build resentment when the players see that you're bring in established players to increase the chances of a tilt at a flag ?

Does it build resentment when the players see that you're bring in established players to increase the chances of a tilt at a flag ?
If said player has come only for top dollar, it doesn't tell his peers he has come to help tilt for a flag; it tells his peers he has come for his retirement plan. The more you spend on him, the less you have to improve your list elsewhere.

If he comes for a bit less, because he wants to be a part of something bigger, absolutely. It tells his teammates he wants to be a part of the team. It depends on the integrity and motivation of the player.

This is not an idealistic viewpoint, this is the give and take when you join a team. It's not just one way, how much can the team give the player. The question has to go the player too -Are you willing to trade personal wealth for the benefit of the squad? If not, go elsewhere.

You are always robbing Peter to pay Paul with a salary cap.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I 100% hate this. We can bring payments forward and reward players for loyalty. Pay 95% and allow even more flexibility in coming years. Improve a list to still not be competitive is not the answer
The question is 'what are you going to do with this flexibility', if not use it to bring in needed, established players?

Keep on front ending contracts to meet 95% of the cap & bank even more flexibility?

He would want a king’s ransom, and there’s some pretty big question marks over his ability to get the best out of himself.

Looked like he would go on to be the best player in the comp a few years ago, but has just never put it all together.

I don’t buy that. I run a business - sometimes you do have to overpay someone external to improve the business. Most people understand that and so long as internal high achievers are properly rewarded and there is transparency about growth and improvement, it does not build resentment at all. Any player worth keeping will want the team / business to succeed. Overpaying existing underperformers who don’t pull their weight gets you nowhere. The minimum salary cap forces weaker lists to do one or the other

Last edited:
Haven’t we been doing this for 3-4 years? That’s what everyone has been saying each year in advance of the following years free agency period. After how many years of “front ending” for next year do you just end up with players who have been overpaid for years on a list that doesn’t win finals?

Merrett the one, but we could be priced out of it again. Reckon we just hit the draft. Should have another high pick in a great draft.
For mids yep. Because we don't know what another pre-season into the boys we got this year is going to produce yet. There is some pace and points of difference between them and our current starting 4. There are mids in every draft and at every pick.

If a 25yr old KPP becomes available then happy to cough up. We still a need a youngish FB - the fella from the Crows is a stop gap and DGB is a CHB more then a FB from what I see, could be wrong, in that case we need a youngish CHB.

I'd back the current talls up forward for another year unless a really top class free agent forward becomes available.

He would want a king’s ransom, and there’s some pretty big question marks over his ability to get the best out of himself.

Looked like he would go on to be the best player in the comp a few years ago, but has just never put it all together.
To give up $1m pa for 8 years - even stuck at gws - would have to be a ridiculous offer.

Are Kelly and Merrett restricted or unrestricted free agents? I reckon Essendon will match any offer if Merrett is restricted.

Depends where they finish I think. Bottom 4 and they'd be a chance to take the compo. Anything closer to mid-ladder and they'd be a certainty to hold out for multiple firsts. But that would also put them in a worse position for the PSD.

Gawn signed a four year deal last month. Melbourne have a few big contracts which makes me wonder whether there could be any pressure further down the list.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back