• Kelly and Merrett

Votes: 28 38.9%
  • Other

Votes: 8 11.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean, I know it’s hard for some people, but can we not do the “we need to trade into the first round” thing in here.

😞

It's also not the thread to discuss current Hawthorn players and if they are in form or not, and whether they’re tradeable.

Trade targets. Trade targets. Trade targets.

That means players at other clubs, and our interest in them going forward.

Bunch of players out of contract this year that I'd like us to have a sniff at.

View attachment 1093928

I'd narrow that down to:

Cerra
Merrett
Kelly
Bolton

The others are thoroughly uninspiring. Cerra is exactly what we need because he plays a similar role to Kelly, but younger. The only issue is that he wouldn't come cheap and we'd have to trade, neither would Bolton for that matter.

Cerra is also someone that I have word we're very interested in.

Merrett and Kelly are both more practical because they're free agents.

Yes, but we have got to be aggressive. Got to try and get multiple picks. Dont know how, don’t know what currency we have to entice with.
I’d prefer us to be smart - as we’ve seen the results when we’re too aggressive - clubs take us to the cleaners.

We’ve missed the boat on trades - you need to trade when other clubs are interested (eg ceglar, BB, Gunston, worpel etc in recent years) rather than when you need to force a deal for picks.

We’re already starting the draft without a 2nd rounder. Reckon our best bet is a list churn strategy. Lots of picks - lots of focus on development + move on those who aren’t going to make it. Even take multiple picks in mid season draft.

I’d prefer us to be smart - as we’ve seen the results when we’re too aggressive - clubs take us to the cleaners.

We’re already starting the draft without a 2nd rounder. Reckon our best bet is a list churn strategy. Lots of picks - lots of focus on development + move on those who aren’t going to make it. Even take multiple picks in mid season draft.
Are we starting without a 2nd Rounder?

We've definitely got Collingwood's 2nd & I thought we still had our own?

I thought we had 2x 2nd Rounders in hand.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We can't afford to be giving up multiple assets for players at this point.

Absolutely we can. Depends on the player. If Adam Cerra or Shai Bolton want to come to Hawthorn, would picks really be better for our list development than adding one of those guys for 10 years of their prime, bypassing their initial development years? There's a price too high for any player, by free agency or trade. But there's nothing philosophically wrong with trading picks for players while rebuilding a list if it's the right fit.

Absolutely we can. Depends on the player. If Adam Cerra or Shai Bolton want to come to Hawthorn, would picks really be better for our list development than adding one of those guys for 10 years of their prime, bypassing their initial development years? There's a price too high for any player, by free agency or trade. But there's nothing philosophically wrong with trading picks for players while rebuilding a list if it's the right fit.

Precisely. Known quantity over prospect every time. I'd give up anything outside of a top 3 pick for Cerra.

At the 1984 Grand Final i was under 10 years old and a group of Essendon fans picked a fight with my Dad & I. It was pretty full on and my dislike for that club is visceral and deep.

So as a rule, since then I don’t watch Essendon games unless we’re playing them. I know from the media and Supercoach a couple years back that Zach Merrett is a top class midfielder but I’ve personally not seen enough of him.

Is he that good? Which current or past player could he be likened to? What’s his point of difference or assumed strength within our current mid group?

At the 1984 Grand Final i was under 10 years old and a group of Essendon fans picked a fight with my Dad & I. It was pretty full on and my dislike for that club is visceral and deep.

So as a rule, since then I don’t watch Essendon games unless we’re playing them. I know from the media and Supercoach a couple years back that Zach Merrett is a top class midfielder but I’ve personally not seen enough of him.

Is he that good? Which current or past player could he be likened to? What’s his point of difference or assumed strength within our current mid group?
He is very good. Fast and a skilled user by foot. Can still win his own ball. Would complement our current mids nicely, hence the appeal. 👍

Last edited:
And that won't get it done, they'd want our 1st pick + probably more.

Depends on Cerra really, if he's desperate to leave and tells the club as much they're not going to fight over it.

If it boils down to the 1st pick and a steak knives player you'd still take it.

Depends where our 1st pick land IMO, I say this and I like Cerra also.

At this point Cerra is only a few years into his career, and is playing the way that you'd like a top 5 pick to be playing if you took them.

It's well worth paying more for the reduced speculation on output especially when you can look at him and guarantee he's exactly the player we need.

At this point Cerra is only a few years into his career, and is playing the way that you'd like a top 5 pick to be playing if you took them.

It's well worth paying more for the reduced speculation on output especially when you can look at him and guarantee he's exactly the player we need.

I see the point you're making Cerra is what you'd expect from a pick 5, I love him as a player, I don't think he's a generational talent but I do think he'll be a fine 250 game player.

I'd narrow that down to:

Cerra
Merrett
Kelly
Bolton

The others are thoroughly uninspiring. Cerra is exactly what we need because he plays a similar role to Kelly, but younger. The only issue is that he wouldn't come cheap and we'd have to trade, neither would Bolton for that matter.

Cerra is also someone that I have word we're very interested in.

Merrett and Kelly are both more practical because they're free agents.

We have been keen on Cerra for a while now. We tried to lure him back prior to last season when he was struggling with adjusting to life over there.

Of all the players there he'd be #1 on my list.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back