Votes: 21 29.2%
  • Kelly and Merrett

Votes: 28 38.9%
  • Other

Votes: 8 11.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean, I know it’s hard for some people, but can we not do the “we need to trade into the first round” thing in here.

😞

It's also not the thread to discuss current Hawthorn players and if they are in form or not, and whether they’re tradeable.

Trade targets. Trade targets. Trade targets.

That means players at other clubs, and our interest in them going forward.

Feb 5, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chicago Blackhawks Melb Renegades
At the 1984 Grand Final i was under 10 years old and a group of Essendon fans picked a fight with my Dad & I. It was pretty full on and my dislike for that club is visceral and deep.

So as a rule, since then I don’t watch Essendon games unless we’re playing them. I know from the media and Supercoach a couple years back that Zach Merrett is a top class midfielder but I’ve personally not seen enough of him.

Is he that good? Which current or past player could he be likened to? What’s his point of difference or assumed strength within our current mid group?

He really isn't too much unlike Lachie Neale. Will have 25-30 touches every week going above 70% by foot. Just about guaranteed. Smooth mover and very balanced.

If you can bring yourself to watch it.

RoughysMullet

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 8, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Think the ship has sailed on Cerra now, seems to be coming into his own over at Freo and they will be asking for too much compensation..

I’d be keen if we can somehow make it work without giving up a 1st round pick or young player with potential but that seems very unlikely...

We just have to keep every 1st round pick we have at this stage in the rebuild and nail the picks. I think we can find the superstar player to take us to our next flag in the next draft or two. Trading 1st rd picks is just too risky atm and I don’t think Cerra or Merrett for that matter turn the needle enough to warrant that risk..

MasterSamurai

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
BayernMunchen
I know that Clarko was big into Josh Kelly a few years ago but seemed untouchable from assets point of view , it wasn't just north that we were going to compete with either, it was essndn. not sure about now though.

I know that Clarko was big into Josh Kelly a few years ago but seemed untouchable from assets point of view , it wasn't just north that we were going to compete with either, it was essndn. not sure about now though.
Essendon will trade Shiel to us for two first rounders then trade them to GWS for Kelly. That's a big win for us cos everyone knows Dylan Shiel is worth more than two first rounders.

Oct 2, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Word on the Trades board is that his manager is saying $900k a year over 6 years will get it done for Merrett.

We were willing to offer that money to Coniglio and I actually think Merrett would be a better fit. But if we finish bottom 6 why would he want to jump ship to end up in the same position? I think we'd need to finish very close to the top 8 to convince him which, while I think we're much improved from last year, I don't really see happening.

Dons would also need to finish bottom 4 to not match. Which given their injury list might happen.

Would be awesome to get a player like Merrett and keep our first for another mid though.

MrBeefSeven

Senior List
Apr 11, 2013
Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
San Antonio Spurs
Everybody talking about mids and fair enough there are a few good options. But there are usually good midfield options most years, plus we will have a good draft pick in a supposedly mid-heavy draft.
I look at our list and I reckon what would take it to the next level is another young KPF to hopefully build the forward line around. I’d be focusing on putting forth a good offer for McKay (nothing insane). Of course I wouldn’t give up on guys like Lewis/Kosi/Jeka, but we need quality depth in that area of the ground. Compare the proven young talent in our defence to our forward line and the difference is pretty noticeable.

Everybody talking about mids and fair enough there are a few good options. But there are usually good midfield options most years, plus we will have a good draft pick in a supposedly mid-heavy draft.
I look at our list and I reckon what would take it to the next level is another young KPF to hopefully build the forward line around. I’d be focusing on putting forth a good offer for McKay (nothing insane). Of course I wouldn’t give up on guys like Lewis/Kosi/Jeka, but we need quality depth in that area of the ground. Compare the proven young talent in our defence to our forward line and the difference is pretty noticeable.

We definitely do need some more talent in the forward half of the ground that’s for sure.

Carltons McKay? You’re dreaming.

hardway

Club Legend
Oct 15, 2003
Northern suburb
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I'd narrow that down to:

Cerra
Merrett
Kelly
Bolton

The others are thoroughly uninspiring. Cerra is exactly what we need because he plays a similar role to Kelly, but younger. The only issue is that he wouldn't come cheap and we'd have to trade, neither would Bolton for that matter.

Cerra is also someone that I have word we're very interested in.

Merrett and Kelly are both more practical because they're free agents.
Cerra is a good kid but not a game changing mid we need. In a premiership challenging team he would be a role player.

daniel23

Club Legend
Mar 19, 2006
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Draft draft draft and recruit role players like we did with hartigan last year or players that may be on the fringe of selection at a strong club. We are starting to build an exciting core of young players and hopefully we can add another 3 top 20 picks this year . Im not big on the idea of clubs matching and forcing our hand when we are in no position to trade out picks.

We have a solid group of 27-31 year olds who have shown will keep us competitive, if we can add class under them it can turn quickly like Sydney have showed this year. All 3 of there picks are having a big say in there performances. If it takes 3 years the likes of wingsrd, Mitchell, omeara will still be around and I wouldn't be surprised to see bruest and gunston still playing there role.

We have been keen on Cerra for a while now. We tried to lure him back prior to last season when he was struggling with adjusting to life over there.

Of all the players there he'd be #1 on my list.

Indeed, only 21 and his averages from last year have skyrocketed. He's really showing the tools I thought made him the #1 pick that year, he's class and a really nice blend of inside and out. Will develop very nicely.

Jun 11, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
GSW
We were willing to offer that money to Coniglio and I actually think Merrett would be a better fit. But if we finish bottom 6 why would he want to jump ship to end up in the same position? I think we'd need to finish very close to the top 8 to convince him which, while I think we're much improved from last year, I don't really see happening.

Dons would also need to finish bottom 4 to not match. Which given their injury list might happen.

Would be awesome to get a player like Merrett and keep our first for another mid though.

how many VIC teams actually have the money to offer him that though?

Essendon, North, us, and then?

MJA33

All Australian
Aug 19, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The player we should target is Pat Lipinski. With the dogs deep midfield he seems to be on the outer (played as sub on weekend).
Fits our age bracket. Goal kicking good size midfielder.
If he gets pushed out of team this year would not cost a whole heap either. Perfect target for us to compliment our draft picks this year.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Nuggets
The player we should target is Pat Lipinski. With the dogs deep midfield he seems to be on the outer (played as sub on weekend).
Fits our age bracket. Goal kicking good size midfielder.

Not a bad shout at all. He's a pretty good kick from what I've seen.

how many VIC teams actually have the money to offer him that though?

Essendon, North, us, and then?
Carlton will have a crack.

Port the other club.

Aug 31, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Nuggets
how can they afford 900k with Saad, zwill, jmart etc? Unless Cripps leaves or they don't have to pay guys like curnow and mckay

I have heard multiple times that Williams is on "significantly less" than what was reported in the media - from a good source.

I wonder what Saad and Martin are on though. And what will they do with Cripps, Walsh and McKay - who are all going to command good money.

Unfortunately I think Curnow is pretty cooked. He won't be getting any kind of payday.

how can they afford 900k with Saad, zwill, jmart etc? Unless Cripps leaves or they don't have to pay guys like curnow and mckay
I’m sure they could find a way if they really wanted to.

Delist/Trade Murphy, Kennedy and Newnes for a start.

They're having a crack. But if they don't make the 8, why would he go there?
Same to be said for us though. Even if they don’t make it, I’d still think Carlton with McKay and Walsh probably look sexier than us unless we really make the most of our draw.

Jun 11, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
GSW
I’m sure they could find a way if they really wanted to.

Delist/Trade Murphy, Kennedy and Newnes for a start.

yeah now that you've said that he would be a great fit for their midfield too

I guess we just gotta hope they don't want to compromise their pay structure/depth to get Zezz, but its carlton, so of course they would. Keep in mind they're gonna have to pay Cripps this off-season and he's likely to be looking at 1mil. Can they afford to push out two essentially 1mil contracts in one offseason?

I have heard multiple times that Williams is on "significantly less" than what was reported in the media - from a good source.

I wonder what Saad and Martin are on though. And what will they do with Cripps, Walsh and McKay - who are all going to command good money.

Unfortunately I think Curnow is pretty cooked. He won't be getting any kind of payday.

even so, he'd be on well above 500k right? add in the 3 you mention plus Martin and Saad, another huge contract would really see some players slip. They have to pay Silvagni too this offseason. But maybe if we don't get Zezz we can prey on their rejects? I'd take a Setterfield or a Fisher

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back