• Kelly and Merrett

Votes: 28 38.9%
  • Other

Votes: 8 11.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean, I know it’s hard for some people, but can we not do the “we need to trade into the first round” thing in here.

😞

It's also not the thread to discuss current Hawthorn players and if they are in form or not, and whether they’re tradeable.

Trade targets. Trade targets. Trade targets.

That means players at other clubs, and our interest in them going forward.

yeah now that you've said that he would be a great fit for their midfield too

I guess we just gotta hope they don't want to compromise their pay structure/depth to get Zezz, but its carlton, so of course they would. Keep in mind they're gonna have to pay Cripps this off-season and he's likely to be looking at 1mil. Can they afford to push out two essentially 1mil contracts in one offseason?

even so, he'd be on well above 500k right? add in the 3 you mention plus Martin and Saad, another huge contract would really see some players slip. They have to pay Silvagni too this offseason. But maybe if we don't get Zezz we can prey on their rejects? I'd take a Setterfield or a Fisher

Would really love to get Fisher. He's a very classy player that moves like Wingard for mine.

The player we should target is Pat Lipinski. With the dogs deep midfield he seems to be on the outer (played as sub on weekend).
Fits our age bracket. Goal kicking good size midfielder.
If he gets pushed out of team this year would not cost a whole heap either. Perfect target for us to compliment our draft picks this year.

I saw him live when he made his VFL debut against Box Hill about four years ago. He kicked 4 goals that day.

Really? Wow. The noise had died down a while ago.

We need to be top of his list. I'd consider trading our future first plus more (maybe one of our seconds this year).

They will ask for a King's ransom.

If all it cost was a future first and a second this year I'd be doing that in a heartbeat.

Cerra. Gone.

Wouldn’t take too much out of that seems like Sumich just putting s**t on Freo for getting rid of him and not giving him the senior coaching gig..

No way am I falling over myself to give up a 1st rd or future 1st pick for Cerra- if he wants to leave Vic clubs will have the leverage to get a discount. At this point he simply hasn’t shown to be anything but a solid midfielder... that doesn’t warrant a 1st rounder anymore...

Last edited:
I saw him live when he made his VFL debut against Box Hill about four years ago. He kicked 4 goals that day.

He and Harry Morrison made their debuts in the same game (Hodgeys last). That was the last Hawks game I saw live too.

IF we got Lipinski we'd have pretty set wings for the next decade between those two and Downie.

If all it cost was a future first and a second this year I'd be doing that in a heartbeat.
But next years draft is a superdraft... or is that the year after... or this year 🤷🏼‍♂️
I think the gamble will be on how the U18s comp goes post Covid 2020. This season could be stacked and 2 seconds may be quite valuable.
What’s the Academy boys looking like for the next couple of years?
If Hawthorn finish with a top 10 pick I’d say you just pull the trigger and get it done if Cerra nominated the Hawks

I wonder if we'd look at Ben Mckay if he came cheap enough.

But next years draft is a superdraft... or is that the year after... or this year 🤷🏼‍♂️
I think the gamble will be on how the U18s comp goes post Covid 2020. This season could be stacked and 2 seconds may be quite valuable.
What’s the Academy boys looking like for the next couple of years?
If Hawthorn finish with a top 10 pick I’d say you just pull the trigger and get it done if Cerra nominated the Hawks

Not a chance I'm giving up our first rounder for Cerra, in any draft.

EDIT: Our first round picks for the next few years are going to be single digits. Might consider it if we were contending and our first pick was 16-20 etc.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No way am I falling over myself to give up a 1st rd or future 1st pick for Cerra- if he wants to leave Vic clubs will have the leverage to get a discount. At this point he simply hasn’t shown to be anything but a solid midfielder..
Have you watched much of him?

Hes a good user, balanced both inside and out, kicks goals, and deemed to be elite for meters gained, score involvements and disposals.

CB45F316-CCB2-42A2-9B35-466D3C494A61.png

Wouldn’t take too much out of that seems like Sumich just putting sh*t on Freo for getting rid of him and not giving him the senior coaching gig..

No way am I falling over myself to give up a 1st rd or future 1st pick for Cerra- if he wants to leave Vic clubs will have the leverage to get a discount. At this point he simply hasn’t shown to be anything but a solid midfielder... that doesn’t warrant a 1st rounder anymore...

He's shown to be more than that. He's all class.

Have you watched much of him?

Hes a good user, balanced both inside and out, kicks goals, and deemed to be elite for meters gained, score involvements and disposals.

View attachment 1096340
Yep no doubt solid player - give up 2 x 2nd’s easy but I really haven’t seen that absolute x-factor from him.. if he is demanding a trade to us we’ll have the leverage..

At this stage in our rebuild we’ll be picking in the top 10 the next two drafts and I’ll back our recruiting team to pick 2 even better players with that draft capital..

dreaming if u think ur getting him for 2 seconds. dreaming if u think ur getting him for a single 1st unless its top 5

it would take a future 1st, a 2nd and steak knives at least. i would probably do that, if we could land him and zezz in the same offseason (I know it wont happen, but THEORETICALLY) we would immediately be in the mix for top 8

Worth a read and sorta confirms that there will be a deep class this year.
Callow the interesting note in there; I recon we will grab him mid season.
If we don’t get a top 5 pick I’d be moving that on for someone like Cerra and bank the second Rd selections.
Can’t see the point of taking Callow when we already have Jeka, Kosi, Lewis and TOB.

if we want to grab a tall forward, they need to a superstar.

Kind of obvious statement but there would be a big variation in Cerra's trade value based on the rest of his year. Anything from a single top 10 pick to 2 good first rounders is possible. There should be a little hesitation because he doesn't have elite size, speed, general athleticism or kicking. His big assets all revolve around decision making (composure, can think through a play, right spots etc). That could limit his ceiling and potential for improvement. Not to say he'll ever be a major bust, just a bit of caution if we're talking about such huge trade value.

Crossing my fingers we're on his list of potential 2022 homes.

Can’t see the point of taking Callow when we already have Jeka, Kosi, Lewis and TOB.

if we want to grab a tall forward, they need to a superstar.

We did intend to go into the season with one more KPP than we currently have. Jeka and Hartley were the only Hawthorn listed KPP at Box Hill last weekend.

I’d prefer us to be smart - as we’ve seen the results when we’re too aggressive - clubs take us to the cleaners.

We’ve missed the boat on trades - you need to trade when other clubs are interested (eg ceglar, BB, Gunston, worpel etc in recent years) rather than when you need to force a deal for picks.

We’re already starting the draft without a 2nd rounder. Reckon our best bet is a list churn strategy. Lots of picks - lots of focus on development + move on those who aren’t going to make it. Even take multiple picks in mid season draft.

We have a second rounder and Collingwoods.

Absolutely we can. Depends on the player. If Adam Cerra or Shai Bolton want to come to Hawthorn, would picks really be better for our list development than adding one of those guys for 10 years of their prime, bypassing their initial development years? There's a price too high for any player, by free agency or trade. But there's nothing philosophically wrong with trading picks for players while rebuilding a list if it's the right fit.

Only when the list is close to being ready to make the next step we need to hit the draft hard using picks for players JOM,Wingard is what has got the list like it is.

Think the ship has sailed on Cerra now, seems to be coming into his own over at Freo and they will be asking for too much compensation..

I’d be keen if we can somehow make it work without giving up a 1st round pick or young player with potential but that seems very unlikely...

We just have to keep every 1st round pick we have at this stage in the rebuild and nail the picks. I think we can find the superstar player to take us to our next flag in the next draft or two. Trading 1st rd picks is just too risky atm and I don’t think Cerra or Merrett for that matter turn the needle enough to warrant that risk..

I agree we must use our first and second pick in the draft and not take a FA until the list is were it needs to be as if we took Merrett it may be the difference between pick in the top 5 or pick between 5 and top 10. Which we don’t need we need the game breakers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back