• Kelly and Merrett

Votes: 28 38.9%
  • Other

Votes: 8 11.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean, I know it’s hard for some people, but can we not do the “we need to trade into the first round” thing in here.

😞

It's also not the thread to discuss current Hawthorn players and if they are in form or not, and whether they’re tradeable.

Trade targets. Trade targets. Trade targets.

That means players at other clubs, and our interest in them going forward.

Why not? Happy to be educated on this but right now a 25 year old (26 in oct) Zerrett as a free hit is exactly what we need. Regarding $$$ we dont have too many young guns that will demand the big coin over the next couple of years, just front load the * out of Zerrett's contract and giddy up...

Why not? Happy to be educated on this but right now a 25 year old (26 in oct) Zerrett as a free hit is exactly what we need. Regarding $$$ we dont have too many young guns that will demand the big coin over the next couple of years, just front load the fu** out of Zerrett's contract and giddy up...
We "could", if we wanted to.

It's being suggested that we "won't" because it doesn't fit our payment structure.

*previous structure likely heavily influenced if not controlled by Wright.

why would any free agent in the game want to come to Hawthorn?

We play ugly footy and free agent is not going to help our current plight now .

We are not in the position for securing high priced free agents although in saying that and looking at our list I have no idea how we would even be paying 93%-100% of our TPP.

We should be in the market to take a few risks and increase our draft hand.

Daniel Rioli is an embarrassment to the Rioli name

Zac Merritt - just pay the farrrrkiiinng price & be done with
Rioli has the talent. He'd be a different player under Clarko.

Someone mentioned quite a while ago in one of our trade threads that we'd approached Richmond about him couple years ago.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Rioli has the talent. He'd be a different player under Clarko.

Someone mentioned quite a while ago in one of our trade threads that we'd approached Richmond about him couple years ago.

I dont get comments like this what makes you think he would be great under clarko? . He is at the best club in the comp with currently the best coach with a game plan that is suited towards smalls .

Great point re Wright.

History says we won't get in a bidding war. Never have.

The reason I wouldn't mind bidding big for a FA is our list is so poor and so bereft of talent that if we don't land anyone you still have to pay 92.5 % of the cap anyways ? To reach 92.5 % with our current list just means we're overpaying lots of poor footballers.

Yep he may never live up to the hype he was drafted at but he is a clever player and has class, being played out of position and i would be definitely interested.

Wouldn't be surprised if he would be open to leaving for more opportunity.
IRC, we had our sights on SPS as a junior and were quietly squirreling him away. I'd love him at the Hawks!

Sent from my SM-A515U1 using Tapatalk

No surprise we like overpaying the average players on our list instead of improving it. We will never land a star FA because of our unwillingness to pay the big $.
I like the idea of building a premiership rather then trying to buy one.

And if we are overpaying average players then it's our own fault, so we need to get better as a club, not through "purchasing" it, unless it's a Buddy Franklin, since our mids need somebody to kick it too.

I dont get comments like this what makes you think he would be great under clarko? . He is at the best club in the comp with currently the best coach with a game plan that is suited towards smalls .
Just because Richmond are the most successful club over last few years doesn't mean they are going to get everything right.with every player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We have apparently been front ending for 4 years in effort to lure recruits. 4 years of front ending = significantly overpaying ordinary players on a weak list to meet the cap
No, players get paid the same amount just paid at the front end of their contract. So if you are only getting $200 000 a year for two years you get $300 000 in 2021 in and $100 000 in 2022, no over paying.

Just because Richmond are the most successful club over last few years doesn't mean they are going to get everything right.with every player.

Sure but he is playing in the best team in the league in a system that should s**t him to a tee, why are we supposed to assume he will just be better under Clarko?

If his name was Bob Smith I doubt anyone on her would be wanting him

Sure but he is playing in the best team in the league in a system that should sh*t him to a tee, why are we supposed to assume he will just be better under Clarko?

If his name was Bob Smith I doubt anyone on her would be wanting him
Rioli is lazy and just not that good. Ppl on here only want him cause of his last name. Majority of Richmond fans are happy his been omitted from the team.

No, players get paid the same amount just paid at the front end of their contract. So if you are only getting $200 000 a year for two years you get $300 000 in 2021 in and $100 000 in 2022, no over paying.
This does not make sense if it is happening over a consecutive 4 year period .If there are no free agents coming in to take up the salary cap excess built up the money has to go to existing second tier players.
We literally have to snare high class free agents in the next 2 years.

What if it happens for 4 years?

And regardless, if you have a bottom 4 list, you are overpaying players to meet the same cap requirements of better lists

What if it happens for 4 years?

And regardless, if you have a bottom 4 list, you are overpaying players to meet the same cap requirements of better lists
Eventually players like Will Day go from minimum wage to $500 000 a year. It only takes several players like CJ, Mitch Lewis etc. to get a pay rise and the salary cap quickly gets eaten up, but in theory you can keep banking for several years like St.Kilda and Carlton did and then splash out when you want to.

Eventually players like Will Day go from minimum wage to $500 000 a year. It only takes several players like CJ, Mitch Lewis etc. to get a pay rise and the salary cap quickly gets eaten up, but in theory you can keep banking for several years like St.Kilda and Carlton did and then splash out when you want to.
Eventually sure, but that’s well after those front ended contracts from 3-4 years ago have run their full life. We don’t do very long contracts

The only clubs to have gone more years than us without winning a final are Gold Coast, Essendon and Carlton (Freo and North 2015 also). That inevitably means we have been overpaying players for 5 years in order to meet the same cap as better sides, including this year once again

Next year will be the same if all we do is pay our current list to meet the cap because the current list is poor. Better to pay a free agent to actually improve the list.

Eventually sure, but that’s well after those front ended contracts from 3-4 years ago have run their full life. We don’t do very long contracts

The only clubs to have gone more years than us without winning a final are Gold Coast, Essendon and Carlton (Freo and North 2015 also). That inevitably means we have been overpaying players for 5 years in order to meet the same cap as better sides, including this year once again

Next year will be the same if all we do is pay our current list to meet the cap because the current list is poor. Better to pay a free agent to actually improve the list.
No, players get offered a contract for what the club thinks they are worth. If anything they might go to long time loyal players like Breust who played for under his whole career and give him a little bonus if there was some salary cap that could not be banked. You don't go to Keenan Brooksby and say here you have an extra $50 000 just so we can pay the cap.

While I don't mind the free hit concept of a free agent I really don't think trades of high draft picks and players for just one player are worth it. Take the Judd trade to Carlton. Josh Kennedy is still playing today. Plus pick three they could have taken Cyril or Dangerfield. Got got someone handy at 20. Feels like they traded their future success for a marquis player.

No, players get offered a contract for what the club thinks they are worth. If anything they might go to long time loyal players like Breust who played for under his whole career and give him a little bonus if there was some salary cap that could not be banked. You don't go to Keenan Brooksby and say here you have an extra $50 000 just so we can pay the cap.
I don’t think you understand how the minimum salary cap works so I will stop engaging with you on the topic.

While I don't mind the free hit concept of a free agent I really don't think trades of high draft picks and players for just one player are worth it. Take the Judd trade to Carlton. Josh Kennedy is still playing today. Plus pick three they could have taken Cyril or Dangerfield. Got got someone handy at 20. Feels like they traded their future success for a marquis player.
Agree. Keep draft picks, only trade for under valued players. But pay free agents

I don’t think you understand how the minimum salary cap works so I will stop engaging with you on the topic.
If the cap is 13 mill and your players are only worth 11 mill you don’t pay them 13 mill. You front end to get to 13 mill and then also bank what you pay under for the next year. In theory this could keep rolling on until you need the saved space for pay rises/recruits. It’s not rocket science, grab a calculator and you will work it out in five minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back