• Kelly and Merrett

Votes: 28 38.9%
  • Other

Votes: 8 11.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean, I know it’s hard for some people, but can we not do the “we need to trade into the first round” thing in here.

😞

It's also not the thread to discuss current Hawthorn players and if they are in form or not, and whether they’re tradeable.

Trade targets. Trade targets. Trade targets.

That means players at other clubs, and our interest in them going forward.

our midfield is average - the only way to seriously improve our side with immediate effect is to get a player like Zac M so pay the $ required IMO

we waste Wingard's best years otherwise (he may have peaked at Port already)

which player's noses are going to be put out of joint by paying the price required? most senior players have a flag (or more than one) already & if they choose to look at their options elsewhere so be it, the younger ones surely want some team success sooner rather than later

we are in a way different position than before when people were happy to play for less to be up amongst the Sept action each year

Some free agents are worth paying massive for:
- Tom Lynch
- Dustin Martin (yes I know he leveraged a bidding war and never left)
- Paddy Dangerfield (yes I know he was traded)
- Josh Kelly
- James Frawley
- Lance Franklin

Some are not:
- Nick Dal Santo
- Eddie Betts
- Zach Merrett
- Tom Rockliff

A free agent where you have to pay an extra 30% compared to what you'd have to pay if they were home-grown, needs to be able to transform your onfield results like the people in the first list.

- Tom Lynch
- Josh Kelly
- James Frawley
- Lance Franklin

Some are not:
- Nick Dal Santo
- Eddie Betts
- Zach Merrett
- Tom Rockliff

A free agent where you have to pay an extra 30% compared to what you'd have to pay if they were home-grown, needs to be able to transform your onfield results like the people in the first list.

What makes you say Zerrett isn't worth paying up for.

And why was Frawley worth paying overs for? We didn't pay overs for him, we actually offered less than Geelong. Take that to the bank.

- Tom Lynch
- Josh Kelly
- James Frawley
- Lance Franklin

Some are not:
- Nick Dal Santo
- Eddie Betts
- Zach Merrett
- Tom Rockliff

Frawley was a bargain at what we paid him

Eventually sure, but that’s well after those front ended contracts from 3-4 years ago have run their full life. We don’t do very long contracts

The only clubs to have gone more years than us without winning a final are Gold Coast, Essendon and Carlton (Freo and North 2015 also). That inevitably means we have been overpaying players for 5 years in order to meet the same cap as better sides, including this year once again

Next year will be the same if all we do is pay our current list to meet the cap because the current list is poor. Better to pay a free agent to actually improve the list.

When our team is bottom of the ladder, we can bank some money in the cap for the future; and also front load some contracts

I don't mind paying overs to pull a young player from their club, like pulling Gunston, or Allir, or Charlie Cameron

Pulling a player like T. Lynch - i would not want to do something like that until we are on the cusp of winning a flag. Paying super contracts can backfire if the team doesn't improve and it also can have unwanted consequences among the player managers.

i am really conscious of clubs topping up too soon. Like St Kilda, Carlton, Melbourne (3 years ago). St Kilda and Carlton have especially mucked it up. They needed a few more years of drafting young talent.

The ideal situation is to wait until players are tripping over themselves to come to us and we get them cheap - like Frawley.

Just because Richmond are the most successful club over last few years doesn't mean they are going to get everything right.with every player.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

And just because clarko has 4 flags doesn't mean he can turn an average player into a good one all the time. Richmond have the perfect game plan for small players to take advantage of its quick chaotic and if lynch isn't marking it he is getting the ball to ground .

What makes you say Zerrett isn't worth paying up for.

And why was Frawley worth paying overs for? We didn't pay overs for him, we actually offered less than Geelong. Take that to the bank.
And Melbourne got Pick 3 as compo for our 3 year, @$1-1.2 million contract with Frawley.

We got Pick 19 as compo...for Buddy's 9 year $10 million deal with Sydney

Hawthorn - Rorting Free Agency Since Ever

And just because clarko has 4 flags doesn't mean he can turn an average player into a good one all the time. Richmond have the perfect game plan for small players to take advantage of its quick chaotic and if lynch isn't marking it he is getting the ball to ground .
Add in the fact that in the tigers system Castagna and aarts almost look like competent footballers. Rioli should be dominating, it’s all stacked in his favour and he hasn’t been able to do it.

I didn't say because Clarko has won 4 flags he'll automatically turn guys like Rioli into better players. You must know yourself the club has a great record of bringing players in and making them better players. IMO Rioli potentially could be a better player under Clarko.

I didn't say because Clarko has won 4 flags he'll automatically turn guys like Rioli into better players. You must know yourself the club has a great record of bringing players in and making them better players. IMO Rioli potentially could be a better player under Clarko.
Dude Richmond system is legit built for players like Rioli to thrive in. He certainly won’t thrive in our forward line. He is lazy and just not good. The surname is the only
thing keeping him in the afl

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lipinski omitted again. Exactly what we need.
Not sure that he is.

We need topline mids to be added to our group, not more fringe players with average pace and a questionable ceiling.

Not sure that he is.

We need topline mids to be added to our group, not more fringe players with average pace and a questionable ceiling.
Sorry but Lipinski is a player we have had interest in and I understand we want to pursue. Please advise who are other similar players on our List that are dazzling right now. None !!

Can we please seperate individual players as part of an overall strategy of OVERALL List improvement. In other words he won’t be top priority but at the right price we would be into him big time is what I am told.

Sorry but Lipinski is a player we have had interest in and I understand we want to pursue. Please advise who are other similar players on our List that are dazzling right now. None !!

Can we please seperate individual players as part of an overall strategy of OVERALL List improvement. In other words he won’t be top priority but at the right price we would be into him big time is what I am told.
If we want to build depth through the middle, sure.

But we need A graders in the middle with pace. He’s currently far from that, and it’s arguable that he ever would be.

If we want to build depth through the middle, sure.

But we need A graders in the middle with pace. He’s currently far from that, and it’s arguable that he ever would be.
He averaged 22 touches and kicked 11 goals a few years ago when he would get some mid field time. He certainly hasn’t looked slow when ive watched him. He would be a great pickup and with some more mid time he would be a 25-27 touch player and kick 12-15 goals. Don’t mind him at the right price. Good size too at 190cm and 85kg

If by “right price” you mean future 4th then maybe, ..........just

He ain’t that good

If by “right price” you mean future 4th then maybe, ..........just

He ain’t that good
Disagree personally, i am a pretty big fan.

He has something about him and i think he has decent scope for improvement as well.

He has something about him and i think he has decent scope for improvement as well.
He’s going to be a good solid player, but he isn’t the clsss that we need.

Our list is in a position where we can’t afford to only be looking for “A grade” players. We need to add depth and variety through the midfield. Very pleasing to hear the club has an interest in Lipinski.
Yeah we need depth. Imagine our midfield without jom and Mitchell...would be worst in the league by a mile. Plus we need to find more players to run through the middle.

I like him, but he is mostly comparable to Harry Morrison on our list which isn't the type of player we need desperately. I'd have him, but it would be a Tom Phillips type acquisition instead of the gun midfield acquisition we require.

Yeah we need depth. Imagine our midfield without jom and Mitchell...would be worst in the league by a mile. Plus we need to find more players to run through the middle.

Just get Big Boy on the case, then he can add midfielder along with defender and ruck responsibilities

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back