• Kelly and Merrett

Votes: 28 38.9%
  • Other

Votes: 8 11.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean, I know it’s hard for some people, but can we not do the “we need to trade into the first round” thing in here.

😞

It's also not the thread to discuss current Hawthorn players and if they are in form or not, and whether they’re tradeable.

Trade targets. Trade targets. Trade targets.

That means players at other clubs, and our interest in them going forward.

Yeah we need depth. Imagine our midfield without jom and Mitchell...would be worst in the league by a mile. Plus we need to find more players to run through the middle.
It’s true, we need depth.

But we ultimately need more class at the top, which will keep others out like Cousins, Howe, Maginness or Shiels, thus creating depth.
For example, if you add Merrett and Pick 2, to the mix and we all of sudden don’t have Howe or Shiels in the side and our depth looks much better.

So I think you should always try to add to the top of the talent pyramid, rather than to the middle, and I’m not sure Lipinski is really ever going to be much more than a B-C grade player.

But again, if he’s easily attained without restricting our draft hand, sure, get him.

I don’t think hes “exactly what we need” though, as we need A graders.

But we ultimately need more class at the top, which will keep others out like Cousins, Howe, Maginness or Shiels, thus creating depth.
For example, if you add Merrett and Pick 2, to the mix and we all of sudden don’t have Howe or Shiels in the side and our depth looks much better.

So I think you should always try to add to the top of the talent pyramid, rather than to the middle, and I’m not sure Lipinski is really ever going to be much more than a B-C grade player.

But again, if he’s easily attained without restricting our draft hand, sure, get him.

yeah that's the contingency of all this

if he comes without compromising our draft heavily then it's a good get as our side does need more depth

but if it were to cost, say, our 2nd rounder this year, I wouldn't do it

Our list is in a position where we can’t afford to only be looking for “A grade” players. We need to add depth and variety through the midfield. Very pleasing to hear the club has an interest in Lipinski.

Agree - the A grade players are going to come from the next few years drafts (to go with potential Day and DGB) adding quality depth to go with this is important.

I think most agree that we need class and elite players in the midfield and will not contend until we find some. The way for us to obtain is through free agency (ie Merrett) and the draft. No way should we be trading for one (unless a Rowell, Smith type somehow popped up). We have gone down that path and it’s hurt us badly.

But we should be looking at undervalued players who could improve our starting 22 over a number of years and who we could get for a decent trade. Preserving our draft capital is essential. I see Lipinski as the type of guy we could target and obtain with an early 3rd round pick and provide us with better service than we get from many guys in our 22. He’s young enough to play a role for years and is just feeling the squeeze in the deepest midfield in the comp.

Some free agents are worth paying massive for:
- Tom Lynch
- Dustin Martin (yes I know he leveraged a bidding war and never left)
- Paddy Dangerfield (yes I know he was traded)
- Josh Kelly
- James Frawley
- Lance Franklin

Some are not:
- Nick Dal Santo
- Eddie Betts
- Zach Merrett
- Tom Rockliff

A free agent where you have to pay an extra 30% compared to what you'd have to pay if they were home-grown, needs to be able to transform your onfield results like the people in the first list.

Agree.

Nothing more to say about it.

The others are just cogs in the wheel.

You forgot Cameron, he was worth the extra "30%" so GWS wouldn't match - but they did, oh well.

I like him, but he is mostly comparable to Harry Morrison on our list which isn't the type of player we need desperately. I'd have him, but it would be a Tom Phillips type acquisition instead of the gun midfield acquisition we require.
Did you watch the VFL game last night?

Lipinski is the Scott Pendlebury/Nick Dal Santo type midfielder; oozes class with every possession and has that elite poise in traffic. The doggies have been trying to play him on the wing and across half forward at AFL level, but it just isn't his role. They can't play him in the middle because there are no spots.

He will be one of the bargains of the trade period this year. I'm hoping Geelong pick him up because our class in the middle is starting to wear thin.

Beggars can’t be choosers though. 🤪Obviously if you can get Merrett you get him. But I’m open to recruiting guys that can fill some spaces for a while until we can get someone better. Especially if they are squeezed out of a good side and have some potential upside left.

Lipinski has talent and can kick but biggest issue is he’s slow. Unless he’s a 4th (unlikely) better to spend our limited trade chips elsewhere and back in downie etc.

I’d be also concerned at the current time in filling side up with b/c graders that further limits space for actual youth to come through (particularly if hit draft hard).

Lipinski has talent and can kick but biggest issue is he’s slow. Unless he’s a 4th (unlikely) better to spend our limited trade chips elsewhere and back in downie etc.

I’d be also concerned at the current time in filling side up with b/c graders that further limits space for actual youth to come through (particularly if hit draft hard).
A slow midfielder with elite disposal, great decision making skills and excellent poise in traffic.

...sounds familiar... some old hawthorn player. What was his name again? Sam...who?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A slow midfielder with elite disposal, great decision making skills and excellent poise in traffic.

...sounds familiar... some old hawthorn player. What was his name again? Sam...who?
Yeah, true, Sam Menagola was a rookie for a while at Hawthorn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back