Votes: 21 29.2%
  • Kelly and Merrett

Votes: 28 38.9%
  • Other

Votes: 8 11.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean, I know it’s hard for some people, but can we not do the “we need to trade into the first round” thing in here.

😞

It's also not the thread to discuss current Hawthorn players and if they are in form or not, and whether they’re tradeable.

Trade targets. Trade targets. Trade targets.

That means players at other clubs, and our interest in them going forward.

Merrett ain't happening.

But hopefully Cerra does, he fits the talent AND age profile perfectly. He's exactly the kind of class midfielder that we need.
Yuck. I don’t want to even think about what we’d have to give up.

Jazzfan

Club Legend
Apr 12, 2021
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Yeah he'd need to walk into Longmuire's office and take a dump on his desk for them to consider trading him.

He's out of contract end if season, put off contract talks and reportedly desperate to come back to Melbourne... its very real he is gettable... the price is what's concerning... with that said, Caldwell was unders to bombers, Martin cost blues nothing... finishing bottom 2 provides leverage when chasing an out of contract player.

We would be in his ear massively i hope.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hawk Dork

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Zombie Lover BeanCoiNFT Investor
Feb 9, 2005
on the road to nowhere
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawks
He's out of contract end if season, put off contract talks and reportedly desperate to come back to Melbourne... its very real he is gettable... the price is what's concerning... with that said, Caldwell was unders to bombers, Martin cost blues nothing... finishing bottom 2 provides leverage when chasing an out of contract player.
not when North has first pick and lots of money

Jazzfan

Club Legend
Apr 12, 2021
AFL Club
Hawthorn
not when North has first pick and lots of money

You can easily work things out with one club but.
.. possibly... ideally North aren't overly worried having taken Phillips and Powell last year... likely Horne this year... and with LDU and Simpkin

Either way, being out of contract always reduces the value. If you can convince him to come , and keep our first... that's mental....

Stop referencing the trading of current players. Read the stickied post at the top of each page.

This thread is not about who you would trade.

Jaeger007

Senior List
Jul 14, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Let’s face it we are bottoming out.
The message is loud & clear from Clarko to Jeff to Reeves.
At no point should we trade for any players.
best bet is finish bottom & have a free hit at the preseason draft at an uncontracted young gun in the 20-24 age bracket ie Cerra, McKay where we can just offer the $$ and keep our draft pick assets

Carlton took Martin, Adelaide took Hateley. Let’s use this route to snare a young gun.

Aug 9, 2017
Penguin
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Hurricanes, Panthers

We would be in his ear massively i hope.
Caldwell wasn’t Under’s, he was a largely unproven player who people still had question marks over just how good he would be.

Martin had been in the system longer and had huge question marks over him.

Cerra shown 100x more and would would cost it as well. I love Cerra but we aren’t in a position to be trading for him.

On Topic

Team Captain
Jan 7, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Caldwell wasn’t Under’s, he was a largely unproven player who people still had question marks over just how good he would be.

Cerra shown 100x more and would would cost it as well. I love Cerra but we aren’t in a position to be trading for him.
This is a sad reality. He was apparently gettable 2 years ago at the end of the 2019 season but from what he has shown since then.. yeah nah.

Jazzfan

Club Legend
Apr 12, 2021
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Whilst I get your points, Martin was walked to the pre-season. Blues paid nothing for him, outside of salary. Giants wanted much more than pick 33 for a player they offered a five year contract at almost 500k too.

I agree, Cerra has shown plenty more than those two, but the point remains, a player being out of contract lessens their value. Like sure, Freo could play hard ball and let him walk to pre-season if we (not saying we are into him) didn't offer the two firsts he is worth. But they get nothing there, if North or us took him.

If we do have the second pick in pre-season, we do have some leverage to threaten walking him to pre-season. Even if North had one. This would be a shift in how we approach trading but.

There is a myriad off options to pursue, if he was even interested, that given our ladder position and him being out of contract, we could hold onto our first, or push it back in a pick swap with Fremantle. We have two WA mids, and we have at present picks 20 and 21 also.

I remember we only got pick 23 for an out of contract Brad Hill who wanted to return home. At the time, that was clear unders.

Stratton24

Premiership Player
Aug 29, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Whilst I get your points, Martin was walked to the pre-season. Blues paid nothing for him, outside of salary. Giants wanted much more than pick 33 for a player they offered a five year contract at almost 500k too.

I agree, Cerra has shown plenty more than those two, but the point remains, a player being out of contract lessens their value. Like sure, Freo could play hard ball and let him walk to pre-season if we (not saying we are into him) didn't offer the two firsts he is worth. But they get nothing there, if North or us took him.

If we do have the second pick in pre-season, we do have some leverage to threaten walking him to pre-season. Even if North had one. This would be a shift in how we approach trading but.

There is a myriad off options to pursue, if he was even interested, that given our ladder position and him being out of contract, we could hold onto our first, or push it back in a pick swap with Fremantle. We have two WA mids, and we have at present picks 20 and 21 also.

I remember we only got pick 23 for an out of contract Brad Hill who wanted to return home. At the time, that was clear unders.
Brad Hill was contracted and also had serious off field issues so 23 was fair.

rei154

Premiership Player
Jun 13, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Sorry if I'm behind on this a little- have we had interest in Cerra this year?

Nov 21, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chelsea, Detroit Pistons
Sure to get shot down on this one but soon there will be a Rioli up for grabs for anyone that will take him.

I really don't care if a young player smokes weed. I do care if they can't make a small life sacrifice when they are already on very thin ice for related incidents. It's not the record of a player that is committed to getting the best out of their football.

Oct 23, 2006
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool, Chi Bulls, LV Raiders
Sure to get shot down on this one but soon there will be a Rioli up for grabs for anyone that will take him.
Get a Rioli - win the flag, simples (well, it worked for us, Tigers and Eagles).

May 10, 2007
Bonbeach
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal Fc Portland Trailblazers

Brad Hill was contracted and we still only got pick 23 LOLOLOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back