• Kelly and Merrett

Votes: 28 38.9%
  • Other

Votes: 8 11.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean, I know it’s hard for some people, but can we not do the “we need to trade into the first round” thing in here.

😞

It's also not the thread to discuss current Hawthorn players and if they are in form or not, and whether they’re tradeable.

Trade targets. Trade targets. Trade targets.

That means players at other clubs, and our interest in them going forward.

From Rough and Love’s list I am aware we have had interest in the past in:
Lonie
Brodie
Fiorini
Himmelberg’s x 2 GWS Himmelberg not long resigned and would cost a bomb.

These were all under GW watch so may have changed.
Also know we have had strong interest in Sam Hayes (PA)
Personally would love Clark.
Interest in McLean has not wavered because of his ACL. I do hope Lipinski is on the role player list.
Would not surprise me at all that we end up snaring McLean.

G’Day Guys, hope you’re all well.

Just a little bit of news to share, I think it’s been well documented we’re hitting the draft pretty hard for the next couple of years.

Big Fish looking unlikely this year but we’re looking to spread the money around with our salary cap and attract role players like Scrimshaw, Impey etc currently and Lake, Gibson, Hale previously.

If we were to land a big fish we’d be more inclined to lose one of our big fish rather than our upcoming high draft picks - I don’t mind this strategy.

We’re not gonna get all of these players but players of interest are:

Williams (WC)
Ladhams (PA)
Long (St K)
Brodie (GC)
Lonie (St K)
Wallis (WB)
Clark (Gee)
Frampton (Adel)
Himmelberg (Adel)
Riccardi (GWS)
Dow (Carl)
SPS (Carl)
Sharp (GC)
Fiorini (GC)

I expect us to land 2-3 of these players. A ruckman or 2 a priority for me. Cegs, Brooksby & BB are cooked. BB can only play on heart for so long - champion.

Which 3 of the list would you like us to get?

For me

Ladhams
Clark
Long

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
How many of these would be gettable with late picks? (4th or future 4th?)

Would have thought Clark, long, Williams, himmelberg, sharp, dow would at least require 2nd rounders.

Maybe Fiorini, Brodie, SPS are gettable cheap?
Now obviously depends on how we rate the draft and value our 2nd picks etc

How many of these would be gettable with late picks? (4th or future 4th?)

Would have thought Clark, long, Williams, himmelberg, sharp, dow would at least require 2nd rounders.

Maybe Fiorini, Brodie, SPS are gettable cheap?
Now obviously depends on how we rate the draft and value our 2nd picks etc
Dow wouldn't cost a 2nd, he will be incredibly incredibly lucky to be on a list next year.

Don't know how many times you need to roll out this line, but it's not overpaying if you absolutely need to make minimum TPP requirements. The money has to be used on someone.

Correct hence I'd rather go larger on better quality players than beinf conservative and overpaying battlers.

Correct hence I'd rather go larger on better quality players than beinf conservative and overpaying battlers.

Who? Godfather offers to players of that calibre would ruin future chances at success. You can take a short-term, medium-sized, bad contract cheaply and be okay, but anything long term at the top end of contract value locks you in to poor cap management.

Trace modern premiership winners back to their battler days and none of them got there by overpaying (in salary) opposition stars to come when they were poor.

A player like Fiorini who’s an outside midfielder would be an upgrade on Morrison. From 2016-2019 Fiorini averaged 23.7 disposals - 5 marks - 4.7 tackles and 3.2 clearances a game. I think he would be a good fit without costing much at the trade table.

A player like Fiorini who’s an outside midfielder would be an upgrade on Morrison. From 2016-2019 Fiorini averaged 23.7 disposals - 5 marks - 4.7 tackles and 3.2 clearances a game. I think he would be a good fit without costing much at the trade table.
Why isn't he getting games at GCS?

Any idea?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Eh

Fiorini is an average kick, isn't particularly damaging, doesn't hit the scoreboard.

As a more outside player he is pretty underwhelming.

After Jeff's media release the other day openly saying that we are rebuilding (minimum of 2 years away from finals) probably means that we aren't adding any players that cost draft collateral. I get the feeling we will be looking to add players to fill the gap while players like Day, DGB, Brockman etc push towards 50 games. Cap space obviously isn't a problem but even then you'd think it will only be your 2-3 year deals rather than the 5-6 year ones that other teams are recklessly happy to dole out which has been the reason why we have missed out on some decent players the last 3-4 years.

From the recent discussion in here on who we should target I'd like to think that we'd be looking at players like Fiorini, Brodie etc to fill the gap until our young guys are more seasoned. I'm not saying we should trade for players to take our young guys spots but rather look to add some to compliment them.

After Jeff's media release the other day openly saying that we are rebuilding (minimum of 2 years away from finals) probably means that we aren't adding any players that cost draft collateral. I get the feeling we will be looking to add players to fill the gap while players like Day, DGB, Brockman etc push towards 50 games. Cap space obviously isn't a problem but even then you'd think it will only be your 2-3 year deals rather than the 5-6 year ones that other teams are recklessly happy to dole out which has been the reason why we have missed out on some decent players the last 3-4 years.

From the recent discussion in here on who we should target I'd like to think that we'd be looking at players like Fiorini, Brodie etc to fill the gap until our young guys are more seasoned. I'm not saying we should trade for players to take our young guys spots but rather look to add some to compliment them.

It's funny I get hammered on here for saying we'll be about 4 years from making the 8, yet our own president has come out and said mimimum 2 which probably means more like 4 as to what he thinks in real terms.

Yeah I don't want to add players that cost draft collateral either.

I just wouldn't be opposed to front ending a big PSD deal etc.

Ladhams would want to tidy up his off field lifestyle. Lazy. Unreliable. Wayward. Wonder if we could get a package deal with his mates Johnson & SPP chucked in.

Also would hope that players.. in general....of course!! would be honest & disclose the amount of strikes against their names before we would sign them up.

Interesting you know this of him too. I was going to comment something similar. Johnson is off their list isn't he? Thought he moved back to WA. Port have warned their players to stay away from him. Good mates with SPP. All that needs to be said.

I'd stay away from Ladhams, too much baggage for too little output.

G’Day Guys, hope you’re all well.

Just a little bit of news to share, I think it’s been well documented we’re hitting the draft pretty hard for the next couple of years.

Big Fish looking unlikely this year but we’re looking to spread the money around with our salary cap and attract role players like Scrimshaw, Impey etc currently and Lake, Gibson, Hale previously.

If we were to land a big fish we’d be more inclined to lose one of our big fish rather than our upcoming high draft picks - I don’t mind this strategy.

We’re not gonna get all of these players but players of interest are:

Williams (WC)
Ladhams (PA)
Long (St K)
Brodie (GC)
Lonie (St K)
Wallis (WB)
Clark (Gee)
Frampton (Adel)
Himmelberg (Adel)
Riccardi (GWS)
Dow (Carl)
SPS (Carl)
Sharp (GC)
Fiorini (GC)

I expect us to land 2-3 of these players. A ruckman or 2 a priority for me. Cegs, Brooksby & BB are cooked. BB can only play on heart for so long - champion.

Which 3 of the list would you like us to get?

For me

Ladhams
Clark
Long

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Pretty uninspiring list of players..

Ladhams is one of interest but it’s only because our ruck stocks are so poor. He is currently being overtaken by a younger player for the backup role at Port.. Bailey Williams from West coast could be the other ruck we look at..

Jordan Clark as a high pick might be interesting but he is out of the side at Geelong - surely there is a reason for that...

Jake Riccardi could be a player from the giants but we already have 3 young key forwards that need development.. could potentially look at using him as a key defender..

The rest have all been proven not good enough after being given reasonable opportunity at the their current clubs IMO..

Last edited:
We lack midfield depth. If Brodie or Fiorini were available for cheap we'd be mad to not at least consider it.

Remember that they recently acquired Greenwood, Rowell, Anderson and Ellis in one off-season. That's to go along with Miller, Swallow and Weller who were already there. No surprise that a few promising younger mids are being kept out of the side. We don't currently boast that depth.

Yep, like Morrison, Moore, Hanrahan, Howe, Ceglar…………………….
Or Scrimshaw and Impey who were both pilloried on here when their names came up. Amon too.

Or Scrimshaw and Impey who were both pilloried on here when their names came up. Amon too.

humans are very stupid and (myself included) unable to grasp this very simple concept, no matter what

past performance is not a reliable indicator of future performance

while it's a decent guide, everything should be looked at on its own merits and not in comparison to what some Noble did in 1547

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back